• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
sacb0Xk.jpg
edward-norton-hulk-close-laptop-enough-internet.gif

Goddamnit

Final numbers at the end of my bulking period:

Bench press - 215 lbs @ 3 sets of 5
Squat - 330 lbs @ 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 350 lbs @ 1 set of 5

Recently my clothes are getting noticeably tighter and my tummy is bulging way too much for my own comfort, so it's time for me to start cutting.

I'm going to indulge myself with as much delicious food as I can this weekend, and then Monday it's time to hit the brakes on carbs and cut way down on calories.

Currently I'm 221 pounds. Before my bulk started (August), I was 185. I'm going to aim to get down to 195 for now, and if I get there I'll reevaluate. Wish me luck, FitGAF! Happy New Year!

X-Frame

Does anyone know anything good I can do to improve Thoracic Rotation (besides the quadruped extension/rotation drill)?

I have only about 10 degrees of T-Spine rotation, and apparently it should be around 45-60 degrees -- so I am pathetically terrible there, no wonder I keep injuring my shoulder.

Szu

Squatted 455 for 4 reps. First time I've hit that in over a year when I got injured my si joint. Fuck yeah. I'll have to record it next time.

I vote that we find a way to resurrect Rick James so that he can redo the lyrics to Super Freak to represent Immortal.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've been increasing farmer walk weight and I have to say, this shit hits a whole other level when you near body weight in each hand. I can't see this NOT improving pretty much ever lift I'm doing. Between this and yoke walks my legs and back are roasted.

Also, I'm pretty damn sure they are helping my previous shoulder issues.

Yup. Just returned from the gates of hell. The very first thing I see when I walk in is a guy with a tripod looking thing with his phone set to record everything that he's doing. I had to ask a guy to rack his weights. And I was watch while I was doing chest flys by a rather large person. (I think he just wanted to see what I was doing. Still creeped me out though) then there were people just lurking about. Just wondering around with no real propose. Just walking around. Touching things and moving along. My hope is that they are testing the waters before they jump in. Ether way. Today was a very busy day for my gym.

Your first new years in a big box gym? Either way, they deserve to be there as much as you do.

Squatted 455 for 4 reps. First time I've hit that in over a year when I got injured my si joint. Fuck yeah. I'll have to record it next time.

Good, now work on that deadlift game brah!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Your first new years in a big box gym? Either way, they deserve to be there as much as you do.

Never said they shouldn't be there. Just telling what I experienced today.This influx of new members is welcomed but I've been going there long enough to know that 95% of those people disappear before February.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TFW a couple of your friends are bragging about their bench numbers and your wife saw one get pinned under 75 pounds less than what they're bragging about.

I had a guy at work tell me he deadlifted 900lbs when he was in high school at a body weight of 160lbs.

People tend to be full of shit.

My metabolism is through the roof since I got hit with the flu. I'm always hungry and I've eaten so much crap. It's kinda hilarious. First time I've heard my stomach growl in months.

Sadetar

Love that movie. "You've discovered my weakness....copper! Megamind "Copper?!" XD good stuff right there lol.

My bad, I was thinking of Megamind. Still a great movie though.
Awww, now I feel like I should watch that movie. :p

Sex and food are like isolation exercises cardio.

Exactly.
Hahah, I stand corrected.

Thanks and Yezzir! Highest I got was ~205 this holiday but im about 200 right now.
I am always amazed by your numbers, especially compared to your weight. Damn. That is so awesome!

TFW a couple of your friends are bragging about their bench numbers and your wife saw one get pinned under 75 pounds less than what they're bragging about.
Hahahaha. Oh yes. Are you politely going to hint them about it? :p

ILoveBish

Another fantastic day at the gym. Did 360 for 5 on deadlifts, got all 5 nice and clean, feels really nice to hit all your reps. I still wasn't prepared for 3 sets of 10 for FSL after, that destroys you, in such a good way. I really feel happy about where i am at now gym wise, feel strong and really motivated. I've been forced to eat about 6+lbs of ribs in the past 3 days, but now that its all gone, i can go back to my normal diet and sleep schedule.

I hit the gym at 220am, and only 4 resolutionists tonight, one being a 50 year old dude doing his thing. By the time i left it was almost 4 and the place was filling up with people i'd never seen there before. As usual for this time of year.

I have to mention one more thing however. Today was actually kind of a break through day. I really don't play much as far as video games goes these days unless its the vita due to portability. Today i sat down, played some COD AW on ps4, and just realized that video gaming isn't doing it for me anymore, in fact it just made me unhappy. I'd been clearing out my vast library of games and consoles anyway, i decided as of now im going all the way and getting rid of ps4 as well. I will have my steam account with lots of unplayed games on it, and of course my trusty vita. It really feels like a new season is beginning.

I am about a year into my transformation. I am near 6'3". At this time last year I was 176 pounds. I felt weak so I signed up for the gym.

At the start, I could squat 185 for a couple of reps, maybe three at the most. My bench press was at 135 for four reps and no experience dead lifting. Needless to say, I was weak.

At this time, I weigh 205 (nearly a 30 pound increase) and have less body fat than last year. My calorie intake has spiked to around 4,000 a day - primarily chicken, tuna, oats, rice, fish, and vegetables. As far as supplements, I take pre-workout (C4), whey protein (ON) and Beta Alamine (BCAA).

My numbers are now:
Max bench: 275
Max deadlift: 435
Max squat: 335

They're not amazing numbers but I am proud of my progress. My ultimate goal is to be around 215 pounds.

Here's to another year of progress!

SeanR1221

I had a guy at work tell me he deadlifted 900lbs when he was in high school at a body weight of 160lbs.

Yup. You know what's a common one that's been said to me by 3 different people now?

"When I used to lift I could bench 300lbs!"

Maybe true but...I'm guessing no. The biggest warning sign to me on that one is wouldn't you fight tooth and nail for the extra 15lbs to have the 3 plates? I guess some might max at 300 but it always comes off as a good sounding number so I'll say that.

Hahahaha. Oh yes. Are you politely going to hint them about it? :p

I very briefly thought about it and then was like...Nahhhh. What's the point then you know? When someone who looks very untrained says they can bench 1.5 their body weight it should raise some red flags but for all I know it was 8inches above his chest and be counted it.

Go_Ly_Dow

fucking college work.

had a random combo workout to make up for missed days. - Legs, Shoulders, Chest and Triceps.

Squat 3x8
Bench 3x8
dumbell shoulder Press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Pull-Ups 1x6

Not ideal but better than nothing for the week I suppose. Still frustrating!

grumble

I am about a year into my transformation. I am near 6'3". At this time last year I was 176 pounds. I felt weak so I signed up for the gym.

At the start, I could squat 185 for a couple of reps, maybe three at the most. My bench press was at 135 for four reps and no experience dead lifting. Needless to say, I was weak.

At this time, I weigh 205 (nearly a 30 pound increase) and have less body fat than last year. My calorie intake has spiked to around 4,000 a day - primarily chicken, tuna, oats, rice, fish, and vegetables. As far as supplements, I take pre-workout (C4), whey protein (ON) and Beta Alamine (BCAA).

My numbers are now:
Max bench: 275
Max deadlift: 435
Max squat: 335

They're not amazing numbers but I am proud of my progress. My ultimate goal is to be around 215 pounds.

Here's to another year of progress!

Impressive progress, keep it up!

Beta alanine is not a bcaa. Do you mean a bcaa blend also containing beta alanine?

Just watched Worlds Strongest Man. Holy shit, was the best final ever. Incredible performances, mindblowing.

I feel so sorry for Thor, were it not for an average squat performance he'd have won with ease.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Grimløck;145818742 said:
is there a consensus on which protein to take? i was thinking of ON's whey isolate but still researching.

There was a thread about the protein content of these supplements. ON is one of the best in regards to providing the listed protein amount. So def a good choice, just find a flavor you like.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just watched Worlds Strongest Man. Holy shit, was the best final ever. Incredible performances, mindblowing.

I feel so sorry for Thor, were it not for an average squat performance he'd have won with ease.

It wasn't average, he failed to use a squat suit like everyone else did. He did that shit raw. Don't feel bad for him either. Next year he's gonna crush it Big Z is getting old and Thor is young.

It wasn't average, he failed to use a squat suit like everyone else did. He did that shit raw. Don't feel bad for him either. Next year he's gonna crush it Big Z is getting old and Thor is young.

Stupid decision then rather than an average performance then. Wasn't paying much attention to what he was wearing to be honest.

But yeah, I don't really see anyone standing in his way for the next few years. He just needs to stay injury free.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Stupid decision then rather than an average performance then. Wasn't paying much attention to what he was wearing to be honest.

But yeah, I don't really see anyone standing in his way for the next few years. He just needs to stay injury free.

To be fair, the announcers also called him out for his rookie mistake.

He's definitely the man to beat I have no doubt. He's a damned monster and only 25.

MjFrancis

It's insulting is what it is. You're not going to tell a mechanic that you've built rally cars from the ground up when you're barely a backyard mechanic, so why are you going to tell a weightlifter that you used to be elite when you've barely got your feet wet? I had a guy tell me that he used to bench "like 400 pounds" when I'm not sure that he'd ever even benched 200 pounds. I respect anyone who trains, but if you're so obviously full of shit, I can't even respect you as a person until you own up to that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's insulting is what it is. You're not going to tell a mechanic that you've built rally cars from the ground up when you're barely a backyard mechanic, so why are you going to tell a weightlifter that you used to be elite when you've barely got your feet wet? I had a guy tell me that he used to bench "like 400 pounds" when I'm not sure that he'd ever even benched 200 pounds. I respect anyone who trains, but if you're so obviously full of shit, I can't even respect you as a person until you own up to that.

I called the dude out on it and he had nowhere to go. I showed him brian schwab and his world record deadlift, the I showed him JL Holdsworth who can can't even hit 800lbs right now. All I got was "well, you would know better than I would."

It happens a lot at work and not to sound cocky, but ive come to realize I must look big or like I actually lift because when I'm around my fellow officers conversations with me typically turn Into what supplements I use, a joke about me being in steroids, or what that person used to lift.

The thing is, I don't see myself as big or muscular at all (which also annoys the shit out of my wife) but I know it's gotta be a body image issue with how people are.

I've moved away from it being insulting and shifted to it simply being their reaction to having nothing to talk about, trying to relate, or feeling inferior.

Honestly I have better conversations about lifting with some inmates.

dropped a 45lb weight on my foot

im-so-embarassed-i-wish-everybody-else-was-dead.jpg

Did your foot explode? You okay bro?

SeanR1221

You know, I never noticed until Brolic said it, but my non serious gym friends DO bring up the gym more than my friends who actually go consistently and bust their asses there.

Hmmm...

Imm0rt4l

I vote that we find a way to resurrect Rick James so that he can redo the lyrics to Super Freak to represent Immortal.

amazing man, congrats.

I am always amazed by your numbers, especially compared to your weight. Damn. That is so awesome!

Thanks guys!

Good, now work on that deadlift game brah!

Priority 1 on my agenda. I'm thinking of running a program 1st week of february, maybe cube method, not sure yet.

Dash27

Getting back up near my PR zone in squat, feels good bro. 325 3x5. I know from experience that somewhere around 335-350... I enter what is known as the shit zone. Random stuff starts to hurt. Elbow, ankle, knee etc.

So question for Swole Gaf: What sort of knee sleeve/brace do you use if any?

I'm looking for something just to keep my knee warm and a bit of support. Nothing with a ton of straps and latches and stuff.

theytookourjobz

Getting back up near my PR zone in squat, feels good bro. 325 3x5. I know from experience that somewhere around 335-350... I enter what is known as the shit zone. Random stuff starts to hurt. Elbow, ankle, knee etc.

I'm looking for something just to keep my knee warm and a bit of support. Nothing with a ton of straps and latches and stuff.

Rehband.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Rehband

ILoveBish

Do you all recommend using weightlifting shoes, or is a good pair of tennis shoes fine?

I trained in pf flyers which are like chucks for years. I finally got lifting shoes and love them, but they aren't really needed until you've really been in the game for a while.

Chocobro

Do you all recommend using weightlifting shoes, or is a good pair of tennis shoes fine?

A pair of Chuck Taylors is all you really need for general lifting or powerlifting. If you plan on doing Olympic weightlifting, then weightlifting shoes is recommended.

Sadetar

I am still totally surprised about what happened today, but I am none the less going to find work out motivation from it for the numerous months to come... Somehow a random tourist (who I found out to be a personal trainer in London) asked me for drinks and I ended up having a cup of tea with him after work. Delighful and totally unexpected.

I very briefly thought about it and then was like...Nahhhh. What's the point then you know? When someone who looks very untrained says they can bench 1.5 their body weight it should raise some red flags but for all I know it was 8inches above his chest and be counted it.
Hahha, well true.

ordered a pair of these bad boys

A1Sjd9zDbGL._UY679_.jpg

Prolly should have gotten XXL but we will see when they get here.
I am already informing you that you can't just post a teaser like that so when you finally get them we demand photos! Those look so epic in that pic alone, let alone on your body.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well 315 hurts too much and I don't see a reason to go heavy an aggravate the tear. 275 is the sweet spot so I did like 4x8 and it only gets warm in the adductor with little to no pain. Slow process, I see my Dr this week finally so I can get her opinion on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom