• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Ok this was now my second time starting out with starting strength. I had to take a break because I got lower back pain. I got a trainer to look after me and my lower back pains are back again. I am pretty sure it's the squats. Can you guys help me out creating a program that won't kill my lower back?

Ok this was now my second time starting out with starting strength. I had to take a break because I got lower back pain. I got a trainer to look after me and my lower back pains are back again. I am pretty sure it's the squats. Can you guys help me out creating a program that won't kill my lower back?

Are you certain its pain and not intense soreness? - happens usually in beginning?

Also, you could post a self recorded video of your squat. Maybe your form is over compensating the stress somewhere.

It absolutely isn't soreness because before I had to take a break for 2 weeks until it went away.

I can only say I have a "bad" lower back and squats haven't really been a problem at all so far (DL I do need to be careful about I think). What weight are you getting up to? Because it might just be an easy adjustment like head position.

Xater

I can only say I have a "bad" lower back and squats haven't really been a problem at all so far (DL I do need to be careful about I think). What weight are you getting up to? Because it might just be an easy adjustment like head position.

I only went up to 40kg.

Faiz

I only went up to 40kg.

There's one of two things going on here. Your form is either waaaaaaay off or you have an undiagnosed back problem.

My first recommendation is to see a doctor. It's entirely possible it's just form, but if you had pain lingering for two weeks the first time I can't in good conscience say "keep working on form", because if there is a serious problem you'll only end up making it worse.

Edit: phone auto-correct failed me, changed what was supposed to be "conscience" to "conscious".

Yeah I doubt Squats are the real problem and you'd need to be doing them in a smith machine with a gym mat on your back to be getting hurt at 40kg (no offense if you are tiny but even then it should be your legs hurting).

Probably worth getting it well checked out.

grumble

I only went up to 40kg.

Have you read the starting strength book? It will help you diagnose form issues. Also, take a form video and post it here.

Squats when you start are notorious for intense soreness as well. A lot of people find they're sore for a week after their first time or two, but more so in the quads.

Decided to do farmer's today and destroyed all my calluses. Whoops?

Also I love that I have two bottles of liquid chalk and neither leaves my apartment.

Xater

There's one of two things going on here. Your form is either waaaaaaay off or you have an undiagnosed back problem.

My first recommendation is to see a doctor. It's entirely possible it's just form, but if you had pain lingering for two weeks the first time I can't in good conscience say "keep working on form", because if there is a serious problem you'll only end up making it worse.

Edit: phone auto-correct failed me, changed what was supposed to be "conscience" to "conscious".

I didn't have the pain after doing squats once. I did it for two weeks when the pain started the first time around.

When should you start using wraps around your knees on compound lifts?

I'm about a week and a half from 3 plates on squats so I wanted to start preparing.

Faiz

What's the best way to get your legs to recover from squat DOMs?

To reinforce what others have said: keep squatting.

Yeah it sucks hard when you first start, but work through it, it will get better. You may well always feel some soreness from squatting but nothing like you are feeling now. It turns into the good kinda pain.

mt1200

My new workout sucks (made by fitness pros at my gym), leg muscles are only worked once per week, and they added leg presses instead of squats. The good thing is that they added some cable cable hip adductions and abductions, I consider them harder than the ones with the machine. They added a lot of core excercises too, I only do them if I don't do any core work in fitness classes, I don't find crunches or rotary torso machines useful at all.

This is my current workout in a nutshell:

Day 1 - Leg, shoulder, forearms
Day 2 - chest, cable hip and glutes extensions, core
Day 3 - back, triceps, forearms.
Day 4: chest, more shoulder, more core
Day 5: It should be focused on core training, but i'm finding it hard to join core-training fitness classes because of their schedule. So i'm trying to figure out what to do on these days in a way that doesn't interfer with the other days.
Day 6: bonus day, I do whatever I want, i'm only doing some cardio. I do both spinning and combat fitness classes, both have helped avoid gaining too much fat, since I eat a LOT of chocolate and junk food on weekends. Won't change anything on this day since I really enjoy it

My current focus is strength, but i'm finding it difficult since I lack grip endurance, so I had to replace dumbbell lunges for barbell ones because I can't hold the dumbbells for too long.

The same happens with deadlifts and pullups, my weak grip is greatly limiting my lifts.

Do wrist curls help?, are fat gripz better for building a tough handgrip?. These grip machines seem to have no effect in my grip.

Current stats:

Weight: 60-61Kg
BF%: 10.5 (I can see my abs if I keep my core very tight). Goal: 9%, bought some cellucor super hd to lose more fat without losing muscle.

Squat: 5x5 - 170lb, bodypump wrecked my lower back but I still like squats, besides my form has improved a lot.
Deadlift: 5x4 - 160lb, Very limited by my weak grip, the bar always comes off in my 3-4th rep.
Barbell bench press: Replaced for dumbbell flyes, 4x10 reps - 25lb each dumbbell straight, 20lb incline.
Overhead press: 5x5 - 65lb
Pullup: 5x4, greatly limited by my weak grip. Can't feel my back, only my arms, lat pulldowns didn't help.
Dips: 4x10, i'm feeling them more in my chest than triceps, gotta check up form.

Lift as heavy as you can with a neutral grip for a set or two, then use an alternate grip for subsequent sets. Use chalk/straps on those later sets if you so desire. Helps, but I"m not a fan of either.

The only exercises that help me with grip strength are deads, shrugs, and farmer's walks.

Also just drop the presses for squats, voila. I realize this thread is big lift obsessed, but working out your legs once a week isn't a bad thing. I only hit legs 1-2 a week and quite honestly feel twice is overkill for me. However I do not lift for strength first.

I am personally not a fan of lifting through soreness unless you are just starting out, especially legs. You are going to very stiff and going heavier when you're already sore and stiff can fuck up your form. Yes keep squatting/lifting, as you will become less sensitive to DOMS overtime, but don't fucking squat if you can't walk. After a few weeks you shouldn't be that sore though.

Pete Rock

New squat 3 rep max. 420x3.
Great work!

I was doing volume deadlift last night and my grip was fucking up. The weight room was sweltering and I couldn't even stand to wear my shirt for the last half hour it was so brutal. July and August are going to absolutely be crushing when things get legitimately hot.

So I think it was a combination of not washing and drying my hands before applying the liquid grip, the humidity levels being high enough to require more than five minutes for it to totally dry, the sweat rolling off the back of my hands, all bad. Usually get a set of 10 and then put in 4 more sets of 5. I got 3 reps on the first set. Ughhh wtf! This was going to be my third session at 295 before moving up in weight.

I struggled to get the next few sets of five before remembering how my buddy is always preaching mixed grip. In my mind I was finally ready, I didn't care how awkward I thought it would be, this weight needed to be moved and I knew I had it in me outside of the grip issues.

Long story short, mixed grip for the win, it was like some kind of voodoo magic. Or just physics. Magical physics. I had two more sets of five and I busted out a set of ten no problem and chalked it up (lol) to lessons learned.

mt1200: I did DB wrist curls for a while, then tried BB wrist curls, now I just do really strict BB curls at around 75 lbs and it seems to keep my forearms fat without having to focus on them explicitly. Farmer carries and shrugs are also good for grip work.

TylerD

I'm using Onedrive so let me know if the videos don't work for some of you.

Squat form (last set): http://1drv.ms/1l61moz

Power Clean form (last set): http://1drv.ms/1l63cpD

I have been working on doing hip and ankle mobility stretches and a couple of exercises to work on form since Monday and I think it is already helping. I used a wider stance with my toes pointing out and only barely had my right heel come up on the set I filmed.

The PC is a bit of a mess right now, I think. Need to keep my back flat and lift more with the legs. Looks like my back is doing too much. I focused on keeping the bar very close to my shins and thighs and have the bruises on my shins to prove it. My finish should probably be a deeper squat and I need to get my elbows further out front and practice resting the bar on my shoulders.

What say you Fitness-GAF?

keezy

What's the best way to get your legs to recover from squat DOMs?

Throw in an accessory leg day. Don't do grinder/heavy sets. Just do moderate weight to get blood flowing back in your legs. If you're eating/supplementing right this should shuttle nutrients back to that area and help your legs recover.

Throw in an accessory leg day. Don't do grinder/heavy sets. Just do moderate weight to get blood flowing back in your legs. If you're eating/supplementing right this should shuttle nutrients back to that area and help your legs recover.
This is pretty much what I do if I do hit legs twice a week. One day is heavy, squat focused. The next is mostly accessory, with a focus on SDLs or something.

I also like biking a bit the day after squatting, before DOMS really hits. That's me though.

New squat 3 rep max. 420x3. And it was easy this time. After that I worked up to paused single squats up to 385lbs belt less. And then did good mornings 3x3 at 365lbs.

http://youtu.be/ejco1D-Zvgw

Nice dood!

Lift as heavy as you can with a neutral grip for a set or two, then use an alternate grip for subsequent sets. Use chalk/straps on those later sets if you so desire. Helps, but I"m not a fan of either.

The only exercises that help me with grip strength are deads, shrugs, and farmer's walks.

Also just drop the presses for squats, voila. I realize this thread is big lift obsessed, but working out your legs once a week isn't a bad thing. I only hit legs 1-2 a week and quite honestly feel twice is overkill for me. However I do not lift for strength first.

I am personally not a fan of lifting through soreness unless you are just starting out, especially legs. You are going to very stiff and going heavier when you're already sore and stiff can fuck up your form. Yes keep squatting/lifting, as you will become less sensitive to DOMS overtime, but don't fucking squat if you can't walk. After a few weeks you shouldn't be that sore though.

I'm right there with you. I only do legs once a week. Sometimes it is heavy, sometimes it is high reps. I will eventually hop on some sort of program but for right now, what I'm doing is working so I'm aticking with it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Good read about steroids in Hollywood and keeping your expectations grounded in reality:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091
Good read. Thanks Vince.

It's amazing what the general public will believe. When I tell people most actors they see who are huge for one movie then skinny the next are on something they refuse to even consider it. Want to use? Cool. I wish our society was at a point where people could admit it without the negative consequences. These kids think they can look like Thor in 3 months.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good read. Thanks Vince.

It's amazing what the general public will believe. When I tell people most actors they see who are huge for one movie then skinny the next are on something they refuse to even consider it. Want to use? Cool. I wish our society was at a point where people could admit it without the negative consequences. These kids think they can look like Thor in 3 months.

And marketing feeds people that line, and profits off of everything. It's rotten. Hell, I used to think that way.

Ah the old days when I thought Christian Bale was a very hard worker from going to Machinist to Batman Begins. Foolishness.

And nobody believes Mark Wahlberg, and nobody should. 165 to 212. Fuck you Wahlberg.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Allot of kids know this here, but that just means they're using as well.
You can't imagine how many people i see that are younger than me, but are already on the juice.

It's an everyday battle with me. I want to but I stop myself every time. I really want to though. Every single day I think about it. It's not healthy :/

Jhriad

I wonder which unnamed actor the article is referring to.

Probably that Thor dude. Maybe the guy playin Starlord in Guardians of the Galaxy, he bulked fast.

It said someone in their 30's in 2005 so it wouldn't be Chris Hemsworth or Chris Pratt. Someone currently in their 40's that had a movie with lots of ab shots shortly after 2005 would be Gerard Butler in 300. Hugh Jackman in X-men: The Last Stand (2006) also comes to mind.

deadbeef

Thanks bud, I use them, the knee sleeves and shorts too. I don't know the model number,but you can see them in th video.

Okay that's what made me think of them. I have had a nagging elbow injury for about 4 weeks or so now. I don't know if I'm looking for general support or a specific design.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It said someone in their 30's in 2005 so it wouldn't be Chris Hemsworth or Chris Pratt. Someone currently in their 40's that had a movie with lots of ab shots shortly after 2005 would be Gerard Butler in 300.

mmm good point. Hell, there's a lot of them out there though, no matter how you slice it. I read another article a month or so back about Hollywood and roids. They're cultivating this.

That difference pic between X-Men 1 and Wolverine now for Hugh Jackman is telling of the culture they've been building.

Jhriad

mmm good point. Hell, there's a lot of them out there though, no matter how you slice it. I read another article a month or so back about Hollywood and roids. They're cultivating this.

That difference pic between X-Men 1 and Wolverine now for Hugh Jackman is telling of the culture they've been building.

Heh, I edited my original post to include him in X-men 3 at the same time you posted this. It's sad really. I mean, I'd love to look like Chris Hemsworth in the original Thor but I know the kind of work I would have to do just to maintain that size, not to mention getting there to begin with, and it's not worth it. I'll stick with trying to eventually look halfway as good as Matt Bomer.

Pakoe

It's an everyday battle with me. I want to but I stop myself every time. I really want to though. Every single day I think about it. It's not healthy :/

You don't have to tell me, i fully understand.
It's even worse when you're friends with people that sell and use it. It's around me every single day. I see people do what i did in these years, in a couple of months of time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You don't have to tell me, i fully understand.
It's even worse when you're friends with people that sell and use it. It's around me every single day. I see people do what i did in these years, in a couple of months of time.

If I had friends who use it, I'd be completely wrapped up in it by now. Small blessings I guess.

Reasons I don't use:
Don't know where to start
Can't differentiate the intelligent advice from marketing
Want to fight societal pressure
Don't want shortcuts

Reasons I want to:
Look awesome quick
Societal pressure

Stupid shit. Still, it's a temptation.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm lucky I guess because I have zero interest in taking anything. I don't want to get any bigger. If I was a guy constantly striving for more size I can see temptation.

Pakoe

If I had friends who use it, I'd be completely wrapped up in it by now. Small blessings I guess.

Reasons I don't use:
Don't know where to start
Can't differentiate the intelligent advice from marketing
Want to fight societal pressure
Don't want shortcuts

Reasons I want to:
Look awesome quick
Societal pressure

Stupid shit. Still, it's a temptation.

There's allot of fake stuff out there, people use allot of extreme doses just to gain something because they have botched stuff. Most of them also have no idea what they're doing, i hear stories like this every time.
They use something for 12 weeks, they get double the size and feel great but after 16 weeks they're back to the start again. This is the reason people get addicted to the stuff.
They have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to diet/training and they only know how to get ripped with the help of steroids.

I'm lucky I guess because I have zero interest in taking anything. I don't want to get any bigger. If I was a guy constantly striving for more size I can see temptation.

I can see myself using it in the future maybe. If i ever reach a point where it's hard to gain more size, i will probably go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom