• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This, people is why I post the way I do. People think I'm being a bully or what he fuck ever, but had this man not posted his video he'd remain completely fucked up and not even know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOEsUm2KD4

2x5 40 lbs

I did the other set before doing this video

Remove the weight from the bar. Start with the bar. Everything is FUBAR. Go on YouTube and look at squat videos. Elitefts and mark rippetoe. Seriously don't squat with weight on the bar again. You're completely messed up.

Study those videos and get he movement down before ever loading he bar again.

Ashodin

This, people is why I post the way I do. People think I'm being a bully or what he fuck ever, but had this man not posted his video he'd remain completely fucked up and not even know it.

Remove the weight from the bar. Start with the bar. Everything is FUBAR. Go on YouTube and look at squat videos. Elitefts and mark rippetoe. Seriously don't squat with weight on the bar again. You're completely missed up.

Oh man I'm just laughing at this post

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Why? Form is the most important thing. Weight comes later. Are you factoring in the weight of the bar? You're not going anywhere deep enough. Your toes are floating. What did that trainer tell you as far as squat form?

Cudder

What's your favourite ON Gold Standard flavor btw?

Only tried a few, but the Chocolate Mint is pretty good.

Because the way he comes off is so hilarious I can't help it. I can feel the testosterone from his posts :p

Perhaps you could use some?

For real, your post history/threads reek of trolling/attention seeking BS. We're all here available to help you if you want to take the advice. A lot of your replies give off an air of "yeah, whatever". What Brolic is saying is 100% correct. Suit yourself, man. You can take the advice to heart or stay par for the course you're heading on, wherever that may be.

Ashodin

What are you talking about? There is no testosterone or anything. He's just being honest.
Oh I appreciate his honesty, I just feel it's a little over the top, which makes it funny. A much simpler response would've been better.

And yes, form is what I plan on working on the most after today. My trainer helped me with the knee part of my form, and I've already been studying vids from YouTube.

Oh and Cudder, I'm here to learn, not troll.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

You shouldn't be laughing. There's literally nothing right about your squat and you said someone "fixed your squat" a while back.

There's no "testosterone" or whatever the hell you're talking about being thrown anywhere. I being blunt. Your setup completely messed up, you have no tightness, no "core" involvement, you don't even come close to depth, let alone how messed up your execution is in general. Then there's you wiggling your toes like you're bored before, during and after a rep.

Literally everything is wrong. I'm telling you to stop and educate yourself before you put yourself in a position where you're gonna injure yourself. All you're doing (which is clear from your response) is letting pride blind you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was just listening to what people gave as advice, which was to keep squatting. So I went ahead and did that, plus I wanted a critique.

Don't make excuses, own it. I very much doubt DOMs was keeping you from "hitting depth." Especially if this was later in your sets as the soreness would have subsided mostly o enough to hit depth. You're trying to pass th buck here.

Cudder

I was just listening to what people gave as advice, which was to keep squatting. So I went ahead and did that, plus I wanted a critique.

2 more tips:

-get rid if your runners when squatting. Your foot is literally rolling on the ground during your reps.
-i think you're doing more than 40lbs. how much were the plates you put on?

It would be better to show you a correct or at least a more correct squat. This is of me. http://youtu.be/ejco1D-Zvgw

You can also look up "so you think you can squat" on YouTube for a whole breakdown of what to do. That was put together by th guys at elitefts and it's a great series.

Thanks brah, will look into that series. My back bends slightly in my "neutral/up" position, and I thought I was messing up form, but if it's bent at the same angle as yours in the video, I shouldn't have to worry right?

Also to be specific, what do you mean by "core involvement"?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks brah, will look into that series. My back bends slightly in my "neutral/up" position, and I thought I was messing up form, but if it's bent at the same angle as yours in the video, I shouldn't have to worry right?

He's not bracing his abs (valsava maneuver). Even without a belt you should be doing it.

And you mean upper body dipping when you come up? It happens to a lot of people. As long as it's not severe it's a non issue. It does indicate a need for more ab and upper/lower back work. But you honestly can't get enough of that anyway.

If you get a chance record yourself so we can give you a better idea.

Cudder

Taking a big breath and holding it through your squat, while making sure your mid section (abs) are tight like you're flexing them.

Ashodin

Don't make excuses, own it. I very much doubt DOMs was keeping you from "hitting depth." Especially if this was later in your sets as the soreness would have subsided mostly o enough to hit depth. You're trying to pass th buck here.

Well I'm trying to remember exactly what I was feeling when doing them. It was more likely not being used to the "true" way to squat my trainer told me, so thus I was a little hesitant. Not sure what you mean by pass the buck.

2 more tips:

-get rid if your runners when squatting. Your foot is literally rolling on the ground during your reps.
-i think you're doing more than 40lbs. how much were the plates you put on?

So I should squat baresocked? Whu? My foot was rolling because of the awkward and unfamiliar squat routine.

I was told the bar was 20? 25? lbs, and I have 10s on each side.

Imm0rt4l

So I'm looking to buy skullcaps in bulk to deal with profuse sweating now that I'm going to start squatting and deadlifting again. Suggestions anyone?

Cudder

So I should squat baresocked? Whu? My foot was rolling because of the awkward and unfamiliar squat routine.

I meant get/wear flat sole shoes. But tbh going barefoot would even be better than using the shoes you are now.

I'd weigh that bar you're using with a scale at the gym. Regulation olympic bars are 45 pounds, but I can't tell with your video. You need to know the weight of the bar you're using.

Chocobro

Ashodin, yeah squat barefoot. Get rid of the running shoes. There's a reason people squat barefoot, in flat shoes such as Chuck Taylors, or in Olympic weight-lifting shoes. They all provide better stability / keep your base or feet stable in a squat.

Running shoes aren't flat, they are curved and solely for the purpose of running. They will make you shift forward and move all over the place when you squat. It'll make a big difference.

Ashodin

I meant get/wear flat sole shoes. But tbh going barefoot would even be better than using the shoes you are now.

I'd weigh that bar you're using with a scale at the gym. Regulation olympic bars are 45 pounds, but I can't tell with your video. You need to know the weight of the bar you're using.

Well hm. I think I'll try it without shoes on next time for sure!

iddqd

Well I'm trying to remember exactly what I was feeling when doing them. It was more likely not being used to the "true" way to squat my trainer told me, so thus I was a little hesitant. Not sure what you mean by pass the buck.

You are a good example for someone maybe not getting enough information/help from the internet but in need of a REAL person that tells you things and shows them.

I have no clue where you live but you should look for a good trainer or at the worst, approach someone in the gym that looks like they know what they are doing and emulate them. Go a bit that way, THEN look at the internet and compare.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel that a lot of people simply don't have the flexibility to do a proper squat at first. Unless you've used squat toilets, there's a good chance you've never even done the movement. I'm glad I spent a lot of time doing body weight squats before getting into weight training.

I feel that a lot of people simply don't have the flexibility to do a proper squat at first. Unless you've used squat toilets, there's a good chance you've never even done the movement. I'm glad I spent a lot of time doing body weight squats before getting into weight training.

same. For me personally there is also the issue of depth - I didn't realize how deep a proper squat needs to go until a friend pointed out to me

I agree with learning to squat with body weight or with the bar only. Not learning proper form will result in diminished returns and risks of injuries

Chocobro

Yeah that's true. I think I'm fortunate enough to have good mobility ever since I was young (I'm Chinese, being able to squat deep is in my blood lol) and not have to work on it as much. Most people usually lack the proper posture, hip flexibility (? Having tight hip flexor and such), and/or ankle flexibility for a good squat.

I tried to teach a friend to squat but it was incredibly difficult because he lacked all of the above I mentioned.

Ashodin

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and learnin'. Your responses are truly welcomed and I will definitely improve from them!

Because the way he comes off is so hilarious I can't help it. I can feel the testosterone from his posts :p

I dont think you realise who Brolic is. You're underestimating his advice. Also you're coming off pretty disrespectful in regards to his critique/help.

-Also, you're not squatting low enough. It might feel uncomfortable due to soreness but you still have to reach down to parallel. Otherwise its an illegitimate and incomplete squat.

-Do not jog/warm up in during sets. Use the pause to rest. Later on you'll learn its advantage - if anything use the break for respiratory conditioning (exhale/inhale). Thats just my opinion.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey guys thanks for all the advice and learnin'. Your responses are truly welcomed and I will definitely improve from them!

I hope you're sincere.

I dont think you realise who Brolic is. You're underestimating his advice. Also you're coming off pretty disrespectful in regards to his critique/help.

-Also, you're not squatting low enough. It might feel uncomfortable due to soreness but you still have to reach down to parallel. Otherwise its an illegitimate and incomplete squat.

-Do not jog/warm up in during sets. Use the pause to rest. Later on you'll learn its advantage - if anything use the break for respiratory conditioning (exhale/inhale). Thats just my opinion.

Eh, I'd like to distance myself from that. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm nobody special bud and if he wants to disregard what I have to say that's his prerogative.

E: read the rest of the posts.
Carry on.

Caught your post before the edit. If you want shoot me a pm with why you thought what you did and I'll shoot ya back in the morning.

Ashodin

I'll take this into consideration, thanks!

I hope you're sincere.

If I wasn't, I wouldn't be posting here. I am totally clueless to any of this!

Reposting from earlier today.

Can't tell your squat depth since the camera angle is weird but you need to keep your neck packed and neutral. It looks like you're looking slightly up and that is def not good for your cervical spine. Try to keep your neck tight by staring straight forward.

As far as power cleans I would suggest ditching them altogether and replace them with barbell rows. Without proper coaching power clean technique is extremely difficult to master and imo isn't worth it if you're not doing any olympic style lifting.

I'm using Onedrive so let me know if the videos don't work for some of you.

Squat form (last set): http://1drv.ms/1l61moz

Power Clean form (last set): http://1drv.ms/1l63cpD

I have been working on doing hip and ankle mobility stretches and a couple of exercises to work on form since Monday and I think it is already helping. I used a wider stance with my toes pointing out and only barely had my right heel come up on the set I filmed.

The PC is a bit of a mess right now, I think. Need to keep my back flat and lift more with the legs. Looks like my back is doing too much. I focused on keeping the bar very close to my shins and thighs and have the bruises on my shins to prove it. My finish should probably be a deeper squat and I need to get my elbows further out front and practice resting the bar on my shoulders.

What say you Fitness-GAF?

Ouch at the power clean. I fear you're heading toward snap city. Look up " fixing lower back rounding" or "lumbar rounding". Maybe try the cue "belly button out".

deadlift-technique-rounding-the-back-neutral-spine.jpg

Your squat: It looks like you have the bar on top of your shoulders which is high bar position. The strength programs SS/SL recommend low bar position. http://vimeo.com/30763907

The path that the bar travels should be vertical, straight up and down over your mid-foot. You are coming forward a lot. That means you need to keep your torso more upright, chest proud, and sit back more.

For both of these lifts, keep a tight back. Valsalva maneuver, engage the core, squeeze your armpits to engage your lats.

Form is less about flexibility/mobility and more about the technique of moving your body and what muscles to engage.

Not to take anything away from this OT, but I think these reddit resources are more useful and comprehensive in learning.

http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/s69bh/technique_thursdays_low_bar_squat
http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/trtaq/technique_thursdays_power_clean/
http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/wiki/faq#wiki_technique_thursdays_discussions

sphinx

the piano man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOEsUm2KD4

2x5 40 lbs

I did the other set before doing this video

congrats on bringing yourself to try the squat exercise, many people won't even go into a power rack so you're a step ahead of those.

your range of motion is very, very poor and I suspect that's because that's as low as you can go before falling on your ass and not because you are lazy or not trying. The squat is a balance move, which means you have to work on your balance and flexibility before you attempt to put any weight into it.

Air Squats are a good start, they will help you come to terms with the move. I liked this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_fb6Kz7FQg

you look also very passive in your stance, tighten up more, your core, chest, legs, like you mean it. Your feet are VERY shaky, it also looks like you do it on purpose, or are you unaware? I used to have the problem but corrected it by trying to be more aware of my heels and trying to "feel" them and feel the weight there.

and dude, WTF are you doing between sets, rests are there for a reason. Who told you to that shit between sets on squats???? who the fuck told you that? if it was a personal trainer tell them to fuck off immediately, and never look back.

I think the reason why people are blunt and a bit unfriendly to you is because you really seem to be oblivious to all the knowledge available everywhere in the internet and the books. On one hand you take some advice, like going to a gym and doing compounds, on the other hand you obviously don't give a damn about doing your research before getting into the lifts.

You also are relatively new to this community so you may not know that people give and take critique all the time and sometimes people that are light years ahead of you in all regards have gotten some reality checks, we all do at some point because there aren't teachers out there that tell us what to do so we learn from friends, books, internet and life. Stop being obnoxious with posts like "I laugh at this post".

keezy

So which is the better Whey: GNC Whey Iso Burst or Gold Standard 100% Whey?

They seem to be about the same price for the same amount in the bottle, but the Gold Standard has a smaller serving size (one scoop) compared to the GNC one (two scoops). I know that the GNC Whey Iso Burst is basically 99% isolate protein, but I was wondering if the Gold Standard one was similarly 99% isolate protein or if it is concentrate protein.

If you're going to buy whey isolate spend a little bit extra and get Dymatize ISO-100. Hands down my favorite protein. And try ordering off of www.allstarhealth.com they have the best prices/shipping IMO.

SeanR1221

Ashodin, unless I'm making this up, didn't you say you were "looking into" starting strength? If you actually read that book your squats wouldn't look like that.

- Your bar position is wrong on your back
- You're not tight
- You're not bracing yourself
- Your feet aren't stable
- You're not even close to depth, your quads should be parallel with the floor
- You're not opening and closing your hips. Think of the squat like a sitting back unhinging motion, not just a drop down motion.
- You turn your head to look at yourself
- That weird jogging in place thing you do

Read starting strength. Watch so you think you can squat by EliteFTS on youtube. Sincerely take some interest, or you'll never succeed and probably injure yourself and then go around telling us why squats are bad.

And don't respond to this post with something goofy like "Duly noted thanks!" JUST GO DO IT.

agrajag

Banned
Seriously Ashodin, listen to what guys in this thread tell you. The way you're squatting right now is injury in the making. And Brolic didn't say anything that was over the top. Quite literally nothing you are doing is correct, technique-wise.

Zoe

You shouldn't let soreness affect your range. You need to be warming up, maybe with some light cardio, if you feel it's holding you back.

yogloo

What I usually do for warm up is do 1 set of 1/4th my intended weight. Then another set 1/2 the weight before I do the intended weight.

Pete Rock

- You turn your head to look at yourself
There are a lot of things wrong in that video but this one really stuck out as incredibly perilous. If you ever perform this compound lift and twist your neck like that under the weight of a moderately loaded bar you will completely fuck up your upper cervical spine. For your own sake, please take everyone's advice. I agree with all of it so far. You've got a lot of reading and practice ahead of you. Whatever you do and however incrementally you do it, don't ever do that head turn thing again though. Ever.

I would also say it seems to me you need to take the process more seriously, but I understand we are all working from different levels of dedication and motivation.

I personally didn't feel comfortable posting a squat video until I was 18 months into it and had something serious to show, so on that hand I appreciate your enthusiasm. I feel you would be doing yourself a better service if you redistributed some of that energy into study rather than discourse. At the end of the day nothing "new" is going on in this thread and that disparity is the real static generator or the "rub" if you will. Nothing personal.

Feel it when the pressure drops, mmmm hmmm yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom