• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Bizzare hindrance but my allergies have fucking destroyed me. Its 5am and still not a wink of sleep and cant breathe at all through my nostrils.

Won't be lifting today :(

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Bizzare hindrance but my allergies have fucking destroyed me. Its 5am and still not a wink of sleep and cant breathe at all through my nostrils.

Won't be lifting today :(
What you're really saying here is that there's an untapped market for a pre-workout that contains anti-histamines.

Ashodin

I want your squat.

This is a cop out. You can use a bench, stacked plates, etc to put a camera up against. Man up, record your squats and show them here. That or risk sub par movement patterns that will inherently keep you from ever being strong.

Stop with the bullying plz

jk. I just didn't want to ruffle feathers at the gym. Maybe next time~

Stop with the bullying plz

jk. I just didn't want to ruffle feathers at the gym. Maybe next time~

I agree with Brolic. Posting my squat vids here really helped. Do it the next time you work out. People here can be brutally honest but without their critiques I would've had herniated discs out the ass

BPoole

Need some suggestions for a protein supplement. I was previously using MuscleTech Whey protein, but thought I might try something else this time around. I came across this brand, and was watching the vids of the guy who sponsors it (Athlean-X on YouTube), and he seems very knowledgeable about fitness.

Anyway, has anyone tried this protein? It's a bit pricey ($65), and is only 30 servings, so I want some impressions on it before I drop that kind of money.

I'm used to paying $35 for a 5lb bag of protein at Sam's Club, so I only want this if it's worth it. I am also open to other suggestions.

Need some suggestions for a protein supplement. I was previously using MuscleTech Whey protein, but thought I might try something else this time around. I came across this brand, and was watching the vids of the guy who sponsors it (Athlean-X on YouTube), and he seems very knowledgeable about fitness.

Anyway, has anyone tried this protein? It's a bit pricey ($65), and is only 30 servings, so I want some impressions on it before I drop that kind of money.

I'm used to paying $35 for a 5lb bag of protein at Sam's Club, so I only want this if it's worth it. I am also open to other suggestions.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 60 for a 5lb tub/bag of protein powder.

ON Whey protein or Muscle Pharm Combat are my go tos but just get the one that tastes good to you and is relatively inexpensive

Groof

Awwww, cutie pie, I am fairly sure he didn't mean it to be taken that seriously. :p

Good for you with sticking with it for a year already!

Also like said, make sure you have eaten and have enough energy food wise before hitting the gym. Right macros and so forth. Then again sometimes people just have bad work out days and there is really nothing in it. But yes, if I were you I would first try out what Gallant said earlier on.
Heh, I don't want to be a leg day skipper! I've been the one who's been advocating how important that is to all I know who work out/want to start. Never really thought I'd keep doing it for this long either! Feels spectacular.

Might have been bad food wise when I think about it. I'll need to get my diet in order while trying out Gallant's tip. Thanks!!
You can break down squats days into 2 days of hard squatting and one day of backing off and doing lighter weights just to get more volume. Squats is one of those things that will help with more volume.
I could try this out as well. Maybe forsaking squatting entirely for one day wasn't the best idea. Thanks!

Heysoos

Weird question, but if calluses are forming kind of unevenly on my hands, does that potentially mean I'm gripping incorrectly? The difference is not that big, but I can tell on my left hand my pinky and ring finger have much more pronounced calluses, while my right hand has calluses on the pinky to middle finger. My left hand is beginning to form a callus on the middle finger though.

TylerD

Yes! I found a way to pull my pants up on my own, which I was pretty happy about.

It turns out you use your core for a lot of things.

Side note, but No one from fitgaf has a wii u? I want to add some friends

I have a refurbished unit from Nintendo ordered and MK8 sitting on my coffee table right now. Went from not really thinking about buying another console to ordering a Wii U after I saw Nintendo's E3 game. They sucked me back in!

I've become accustomed to always looking at the background when people post form checks. I think you shamed that guy into leaving the power cage by moving that much weight. No idea what he was doing.

Guy in the back did curls in the squat rack... He should be shamed. He also did some weird OHP where he held the bar up high for a while and then maybe he went directly into front squats? Strange combo there.

Oh, and I have a WiiU and MK8. I'll add my NintendoID to this thread once I get back from Vancouver.

sphinx

the piano man
what else can I do if I want to avoid the Bench Press, both with barbel and dumbbell??

there's the press machine which is the worst fucking thing ever, I do dips, but those are very tricep dominant,

so that leaves pec flies and push ups....

cross cable pull would be the next choice, right?? that equipment is always busy.

.....*sigh

what else can I do if I want to avoid the Bench Press, both with barbel and dumbbell??

there's the press machine which is the worst fucking thing ever, I do dips, but those are very tricep dominant,

cross cable pull would be the next choice, right?? that equipment is always busy.

.....*sigh

what about hammer strength machine presses?

Bowser

.....*sigh

Single DB pullovers?: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/straight-arm-dumbbell-pullover

Close grip single DB presses?

Are you trying to avoid using DBs period? Think maybe using a single DB could alleviate some of the stress...

sphinx

the piano man
what about hammer strength machine presses?

yeah forgot that one, I do that one too...

friday I have an appointment with the doctor again, another one, the last one was shit and didn't hear a single word I said. I've been doing better these days, both on piano and lifting, I had a good shoulder/trap day which included OHP at an "ok" weight all things considered and the accesory work I usually do. Yesterday I played better some hard pieces on the piano which were impossible two weeks ago, Squat and Deadlift are above 225 again after a month of not knowing what the fuck I should so I thought brighter days were ahead of me and hoped pressing some mediocre weight would be possible today.... but no.

I left the gym and quit the workout out of frustration. I really was not in the mood to accept the facts and go do push-ups on a mat.... I'll get back tomorrow or friday.....

Hey FitGAF

I want to share a good feel with you:

1 year ago I could squeeze maybe 5 pull-ups assisted support by strong elastic rubber band, today I maxed 8 pull-ups,unassisted, bodyweight only.

Feels good man.

1 step closer towards weighted pull-ups. Excite!

Sadetar

Nah jogging ain't that bad, but if you wanna do cardio, look into HIIT for an efficient fat loss solution. I fucking hate it and won't do it. Fuck HIIT! FUUUUUCK!
Ok, it seems that jogging really is that bad (at least for me).

I am going to open up, I apology in advance.

I went to that orthopedic doctor today, who is actually also a professor on his field of expertice. He is an older lad with loads of experience and knowledge so I am valuing his opinion quite high what comes to the situation of my back.

So, for example according to his advices I shouldn't do jogging, fast movements, any type of HIIT, free weights of any sort or any moves that would train directly my back muscles.

What I need to do now is to continue pilates focusing on the abs and frontal core muscles, do slow and long stretches, go to the gym but use only the machines that really support my back and instead of jogging start Nordic walking. Water running would also be quite beneficial.

I feel like a granny.
222-sauvakavelynaiset.jpg

IMG_1464.JPG

Then again even with those drawbacks, today was somewhat positive since the doctor said, that my back will heal fully and that he didn't see any permanent damages in my spine or desks. But because this far everyone has been just guessing what is wrong I have also been doing work outs, stretches and core muscle training that has been hurting the back more. I am now being slightly hopeful that perhaps some point in my life I can actually start to use free weights and do the hell I want after I have managed to recover from this. I am going to follow his suggestion and see where that leads. I will meet him next time on August and he said that by that I should already feel the difference.

IMO the cookie dough ones are the best! I wasnt a fan of the double chocolate chip cookie dough or cookies and cream ones. They hyped those two flavors up quite a bit. Make sure you drink a bunch of water when you eat those. I've made the mistake of not drinking enough water and eating a few. Not fun.
I don't yet know about the rest, but at least that one definitely is extremely delicious. :p Also thank you for the tip! I know I am anyways having hard time meeting my drinking goals so I will pay extra attention to that.

Congraaaaats on working out before work! You're a rockstar! I'd have to get up at 4:30am to work out in the morning haha. Nope.

:)

I'm disappointed in the imitation crab lol. Rude crab :( So tasty but nope.

Ended up doing my strength work out tonight! Really cut down on my time that I needed to cook and stuff but...ah well. :(
Thanks sweetie! I did feel super awesome when I got home and had the gym already behind me. :D I think about working out the same way as I think about the actual work - it is something I can't skip if I am not sick. I make time for it but I do know the feeling that there is sometimes hardly time to anything else.

Heh, I don't want to be a leg day skipper! I've been the one who's been advocating how important that is to all I know who work out/want to start. Never really thought I'd keep doing it for this long either! Feels spectacular.

Might have been bad food wise when I think about it. I'll need to get my diet in order while trying out Gallant's tip. Thanks!!
You have been doing amazing job when sticking with it! So yes, you should be proud of yourself and continue the good work!

Also hopefully the diet will make it easier for you in the future. :)

J. Bravo

^sadetar, what's wrong with your back? i probably missed it in an earlier post, sorry.

regardless of your back, running is bad for your joints and muscle growth. if you are going to run, sprint, and do it on grass or a track or treadmill.
just my 2 cents i gained from running cross country and track through high school.

.....*sigh

when i do dips my chest fails before my triceps. am i doing them wrong?

^sadetar, what's wrong with your back? i probably missed it in an earlier post, sorry.

regardless of your back, running is bad for your joints and muscle growth. if you are going to run, sprint, and do it on grass or a track or treadmill.
just my 2 cents i gained from running cross country and track through high school.

when i do dips my chest fails before my triceps. am i doing them wrong?

Nope your triceps are just relatively stronger.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I finally decided that I'm moving on from SS to 5/3/1 bodybuilding. Any advice for those who have gone through 5/3/1?

I moved to 5/3/1 and did it WRONG. Study the shit out of it. That's the best advice. Study study study.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I went to that orthopedic doctor today, who is actually also a professor on his field of expertice. He is an older lad with loads of experience and knowledge so I am valuing his opinion quite high what comes to the situation of my back.

So, for example according to his advices I shouldn't do jogging, fast movements, any type of HIIT, free weights of any sort or any moves that would train directly my back muscles.

What I need to do now is to continue pilates focusing on the abs and frontal core muscles, do slow and long stretches, go to the gym but use only the machines that really support my back and instead of jogging start Nordic walking. Water running would also be quite beneficial.

And, unfortunately, focus hard on diet. Diet will get you feeling better.

Power cleans, just nope. I have to bend my arms the second I jump, otherwise the bar won't come up, am I not putting enough power on the jump? Also I lose balance on the landing, the bar rises unevenly, my elbows are too low on the rack position. I'll post video next time when my gorillapod arrives for your entertainment. But meanwhile, any tips to work towards doing this movement properly?

Getting into a serious relationship will kill your fit-game.

I've fallen off broski's. My first set-back was shoulder tendonitis (or possibly a small tear in my shoulder), took some time off for that, then I got in a relationship it was over! Last summer I was 172lbs at 10.5% body fat, right now I'm up to 177lbs & 16.5% body fat :(

I've retained most of my muscle, and gaining 5 pounds is practically nothing, but 6% body fat is no bueno. Wasn't hitting the weights as hard or as often as I should have, and my diet fell off around Christmas.

Time to get serious again, going to try and start working out early in the AM (which I've never successfully been able to do in the past).

I've had three crappy bench days in a row. I'm still trying to recover my strength loss from losing 10 lbs while being sick in April. I might need to spend some time cleaning up my form. I'm starting to get into that "flare your elbows out as far as possible" form which is really not ideal.

No Love

Banned
I have sinned, FitGAF. Yesterday I ate sushi, a 3x3, french fries, chocolate shake (from In N Out) and an IBC cream soda.

I will punish myself with HIIT sprints tonight. And MAN, eating all that shit felt good but it's funny how you don't really miss it all that much after you've had it again.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have sinned, FitGAF. Yesterday I ate sushi, a 3x3, french fries, chocolate shake (from In N Out) and an IBC cream soda.

I will punish myself with HIIT sprints tonight. And MAN, eating all that shit felt good but it's funny how you don't really miss it all that much after you've had it again.
That's called a Sunday for me. Don't sweat it. Make sure to follow it up with 4 or 5 days of a strict diet and you'll be fine. May even help you

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I love my weekly cheat meals. I swear I end up looking leaner at the end of it all.

I'm a firm believer in them and think it is a main reason I keep my size while cutting up. They also let me enjoy food which I love and generally keeps me in a healthy state of mind. Had about 10,000 calories Sunday for Father's Day and am the exact same weight I was on Saturday. As long as you limit it to 1 day and jump right back on clean eating you can pretty much eat whatever amount of food you want. This is coming from a guy perfectly happy hovering in the 10-12% range. I understand that getting below 10% would probably require less of them or the elimination of them completely and to that I say, F off!

No Love

Banned
That's called a Sunday for me. Don't sweat it. Make sure to follow it up with 4 or 5 days of a strict diet and you'll be fine. May even help you

That's my plan... just stick to my dedicated diet and avoid any lapse of judgment again. I hope it does help, because right now I'm thinking "damn I should've avoided that."

I'm a firm believer in them and think it is a main reason I keep my size while cutting up. They also let me enjoy food which I love and generally keeps me in a healthy state of mind. Had about 10,000 calories Sunday for Father's Day and am the exact same weight I was on Saturday. As long as you limit it to 1 day and jump right back on clean eating you can pretty much eat whatever amount of food you want. This is coming from a guy perfectly happy hovering in the 10-12% range. I understand that getting below 10% would probably require less of them or the elimination of them completely and to that I say, F off!

My goal is actually to get around 10% body fat which I feel I can hit in 2-3 months at this rate. Not sure where I'm at now.

Also, question for anyone who has done rear delt raises and possibly encountered this problem: in both seated and bent over rear delt raises, my left shoulder experiences a very irritating/somewhat painful "popping" feeling as I near the top. Definitely doesn't feel good at all.

However, it occurs in no other exercises... side raises and front raises, overhead press, none of it. Only rear delt raises. Anyone had this happen to them before? I'm going to avoid rear delt raises because I don't want to make it worse but it definitely surprised me today.

Leeness

I feel like a granny.

Then again even with those drawbacks, today was somewhat positive since the doctor said, that my back will heal fully and that he didn't see any permanent damages in my spine or desks. But because this far everyone has been just guessing what is wrong I have also been doing work outs, stretches and core muscle training that has been hurting the back more. I am now being slightly hopeful that perhaps some point in my life I can actually start to use free weights and do the hell I want after I have managed to recover from this. I am going to follow his suggestion and see where that leads. I will meet him next time on August and he said that by that I should already feel the difference.

Why don't you try those water aerobics classes? They're actually really fun :) Laps could be great exercise too, though personally I get really bored of laps.

I'm glad you found a doctor who knows what's wrong and can lead you to a full recovery! :)

Thanks sweetie! I did feel super awesome when I got home and had the gym already behind me. :D I think about working out the same way as I think about the actual work - it is something I can't skip if I am not sick. I make time for it but I do know the feeling that there is sometimes hardly time to anything else.

I try to do that as well! If I'm not sick (or my back and stomach aren't on fire lol) then I should work out!

Got my 40 minute kick boxing session in. Yey. Now rest and bed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Getting into a serious relationship will kill your fit-game.

I've fallen off broski's. My first set-back was shoulder tendonitis (or possibly a small tear in my shoulder), took some time off for that, then I got in a relationship it was over! Last summer I was 172lbs at 10.5% body fat, right now I'm up to 177lbs & 16.5% body fat :(

I've retained most of my muscle, and gaining 5 pounds is practically nothing, but 6% body fat is no bueno. Wasn't hitting the weights as hard or as often as I should have, and my diet fell off around Christmas.

Time to get serious again, going to try and start working out early in the AM (which I've never successfully been able to do in the past).

Was wondering where the hell you went.

Power cleans, just nope. I have to bend my arms the second I jump, otherwise the bar won't come up, am I not putting enough power on the jump? Also I lose balance on the landing, the bar rises unevenly, my elbows are too low on the rack position. I'll post video next time when my gorillapod arrives for your entertainment. But meanwhile, any tips to work towards doing this movement properly?

i did em in high school for football, and the muscle memory has carried over well into adulthood.

without a form check, i would say you're probably not getting enough explosion in the jump. also, really focus on shrugging the hell out of the bar as you work into catching the bar into rack position. the momentum of the shrug and jump should help carry the bar vertically, so that you don't swing the bar out in front of you.

TylerD

Day 2 of SS got got. It was a late workout due to botching my sleep. When you eat 1200 cals 2 hrs before you go to bed and wake up 6 hrs later with a headache at 3:30 I know my metabolism is in overdrive. I was starving.

Squat 3x5 @ 80
OHP 3x5 @ 70
Power clean 3x5 @ 85 wanted more reps in a row than 5x3 to start
Abripper X

I'll post vids of my squat and pc form tomorrow for critique.

Today was my cheat day. Whataburger green chili double with large fries, banana split for a coworkers birthday at the office. I ended up at 3700 caps but it was delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom