• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm lucky I guess because I have zero interest in taking anything. I don't want to get any bigger. If I was a guy constantly striving for more size I can see temptation.
I feel ya. I want to get bigger, but not to the point where I would actually need to take anything to reach it. I'm big enough as it is, if anything I'm gonna enter grotesque range if I get much bigger, lol.

I would sure as hell love to be constantly lean though.

iddqd

Good read about steroids in Hollywood and keeping your expectations grounded in reality:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091

exp32.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Great article.

Had no idea HGH was so expensive, hahah. I knew it was the new hotness, but $3000 a month, wow!

When your career depends on it, you have millions to spend, few time commitments outside of filming, and highly qualified medical professionals who can carefully monitor your usage, it seems like a no-brainer to use the stuff.

Pete Rock

Ugh! The first local gym I joined was selected because I had two friends who went there three times a week and it was centrally located. I wasn't on a program other than feeling sorry for myself and knowing I should go, so I would try and work in with them which was basically useless. I would follow their warmup squat sets until the weight was too heavy for me, generally around my body weight of 170 lbs at that time. When I couldn't do any more productive work without taking plates off and fucking up their sets I would go do the roman chair back raises to strengthen my core. This was probably three months before I reconnected with an old friend and we began Starting Strength at the YMCA.

The amount of guys in that gym on gear was just astounding to me. I remember looking at what they were doing and how most of it was not heavy compound lifts, just a bunch of body builder focused routines, but they were all massive. There was a guy in particular whose lats were so wide and enormous that I instantly called him Captain America. One day I asked him what he did to get so big and he literally scoffed and shrugged his shoulders while throwing me a wry grin.

A month after I bailed on the place the local law enforcement arrested and presented charges against the manager and a few of the regulars for running a steroid distribution ring. From what I understand they were just buying bovine steroids off e-bay and slinging them to anyone dumb enough to shoot random shit into their bodies.

Heh, I edited my original post to include him in X-men 3 at the same time you posted this. It's sad really. I mean, I'd love to look like Chris Hemsworth in the original Thor but I know the kind of work I would have to do just to maintain that size, not to mention getting there to begin with, and it's not worth it. I'll stick with trying to eventually look halfway as good as Matt Bomer.

It has always stuck in my mind that the there actors who have been known for their physique - Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and Henry Cavill - have all at one time expressed how unpleasantly tough it is to transform their bodies and how relatively disinterested they are to maintain it. I remember Cavill especially said there's no practical point to it

Anyway I mention this because I wanted to look like them too (despite having a way smaller build), but just hearing that puts things into perspective for me and re-evaluate the reasons why I work out

And marketing feeds people that line, and profits off of everything. It's rotten. Hell, I used to think that way.

Ah the old days when I thought Christian Bale was a very hard worker from going to Machinist to Batman Begins. Foolishness.

And nobody believes Mark Wahlberg, and nobody should. 165 to 212. Fuck you Wahlberg.

Do you really think bale used to prep for BB :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It has always stuck in my mind that the there actors who have been known for their physique - Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and Henry Cavill - have all at one time expressed how unpleasantly tough it is to transform their bodies and how relatively disinterested they are to maintain it. I remember Cavill especially said there's no practical point to it

Anyway I mention this because I wanted to look like them too (despite having a way smaller build), but just hearing that puts things into perspective for me and re-evaluate the reasons why I work out

I'm not sure about that. I basically look like Cavill in MoS and it's pretty damn easy to maintain.

Imm0rt4l

And marketing feeds people that line, and profits off of everything. It's rotten. Hell, I used to think that way.

Ah the old days when I thought Christian Bale was a very hard worker from going to Machinist to Batman Begins. Foolishness.

And nobody believes Mark Wahlberg, and nobody should. 165 to 212. Fuck you Wahlberg.

was wahlberg really 165 prior? I mean his physique is totally attainable from that movie, but to gain that much in a short time is suspect for sure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
was wahlberg really 165 prior? I mean his physique is totally attainable from that movie, but to gain that much in a short time is suspect for sure.

According to the article that's what he said. That's a huge jump for a short period of time. Took FallingEdge longer!

Wahlberg I had pegged as a juicer since his Marky Mark days, but Batman?

That's all kinds of disappointment. I was expecting that American Psycho body to be natty.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wahlberg I had pegged as a juicer since his Marky Mark days, but Batman?

That's all kinds of disappointment. I was expecting that American Psycho body to be natty.

Coulda been done with the exception of the Machinist coming right before. Could have believed it was natty had he not just come off of Machinist where he weighed about 25 lbs.

Cudder

Chill guys, Mark Wahlberg just uses his own brand of amazing protein, Marked™, to look like how he does. Available in stores now.

Was wondering where the hell you went.
Yeah, had too much going on for a little while there (moved twice, started school again, shoulder tendonitis, and the big one: got into a serious relationship).

No excuses though, time to stop being lazy and hit it hard again. Still pretty strong for my weight, but definitely lost a step.

Zoe

Coulda been done with the exception of the Machinist coming right before. Could have believed it was natty had he not just come off of Machinist where he weighed about 25 lbs.

I remember him saying he overcompensated for the Machinist and ended up too fat, so he had to back off on bulking.

Ugh! The first local gym I joined was selected because I had two friends who went there three times a week and it was centrally located. I wasn't on a program other than feeling sorry for myself and knowing I should go, so I would try and work in with them which was basically useless. I would follow their warmup squat sets until the weight was too heavy for me, generally around my body weight of 170 lbs at that time. When I couldn't do any more productive work without taking plates off and fucking up their sets I would go do the roman chair back raises to strengthen my core. This was probably three months before I reconnected with an old friend and we began Starting Strength at the YMCA.

The amount of guys in that gym on gear was just astounding to me. I remember looking at what they were doing and how most of it was not heavy compound lifts, just a bunch of body builder focused routines, but they were all massive. There was a guy in particular whose lats were so wide and enormous that I instantly called him Captain America. One day I asked him what he did to get so big and he literally scoffed and shrugged his shoulders while throwing me a wry grin.

A month after I bailed on the place the local law enforcement arrested and presented charges against the manager and a few of the regulars for running a steroid distribution ring. From what I understand they were just buying bovine steroids off e-bay and slinging them to anyone dumb enough to shoot random shit into their bodies.

Frightening shit man. I read the new gyms TOA before joining. Thankfully they run an anti steroid policy, so members who abuse enhancing drugs will be expelled, blacklisted and fined.

Imm0rt4l

Half of bodybuilding is an illusion, these physiques are ephemeral unless you're on cell tech. Pumps and lighting.

I wake up in the morning and look at myself, carb depleted. "I aint shit"

be at the gym for half an hour in a stringer tank, feeling like I'm the apex predator. I'm Godzilla surrounded by prey.

Imm0rt4l

I think once you get there, it is easy to maintain. For us anyway. Hardest part is always going to be the journey.

I think it's also the part where you can get a good bit of enjoyment out of. During that time you can see your progress, but as you reach your natural potential, diminishing returns starts to kick in and then it's mostly minutia from that point. Strength ceiling is pretty high though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Haha, I am pretty sure it was when I walked out of MoS that I finally realized I was a studly dude.
One hundred percent! When the movie came out my family and friends started calling me Superman because of our similar builds. It was then I realized I had arrived in the physique game. You however are bigger than Cavill.

I think once you get there, it is easy to maintain. For us anyway. Hardest part is always going to be the journey.

Very true. It's getting there when your patience and dedication finally pays off. Same for PBs in major lifts.

sphinx

the piano man
Half of bodybuilding is an illusion, these physiques are ephemeral unless you're on cell tech. Pumps and lighting.

I wake up in the morning and look at myself, carb depleted. "I aint shit"

be at the gym for half an hour in a stringer tank, feeling like I'm the apex predator. I'm Godzilla surrounded by prey.

This post made me smile :)

EXACTLY, word by word how I feel, and I am not anywhere near your level so I guess this is how life looks like.

I have a full body mirror to the side of my bed so I always look at myself as soon as I stand up and I either avoid looking or if I do, I think "you are a disgrace, eat something immediately"

grumble

One hundred percent! When the movie came out my family and friends started calling me Superman because of our similar builds. It was then I realized I had arrived in the physique game. You however are bigger than Cavill.

Very true. It's getting there when your patience and dedication finally pays off. Same for PBs in major lifts.

To be fair while you and earth may find it easy to maintain that physique, most people would look at the consistent hours in the gym day after day and the dietary restrictions to be a lot of work for something that isn't a huge deal to a lot of people. I like to be fit because I enjoy the process but I see where these actors are coming from.

Go_Ly_Dow

No interesting in juicing.

Knowing I've altered my body's chemical balance in a really unnatural way would negate the positive reasons I lift. On reason out of many I will never do it.

EDIT: Nevermind

If I had friends who use it, I'd be completely wrapped up in it by now. Small blessings I guess.

Reasons I don't use:
Don't know where to start
Can't differentiate the intelligent advice from marketing
Want to fight societal pressure
Don't want shortcuts

Reasons I want to:
Look awesome quick
Societal pressure

Stupid shit. Still, it's a temptation.

Not to mention the potentially lethal long term effects mentioned in discussed article.

Leeness

Boooo only 20 today but it was annoyingly difficult. :/ New workout that had a lot of plyometrics and my knees fucking hurt. My knees are too awful for things like jump squats yet I tried anyway.

...that's enough of that. I don't think I'll do that workout that often. :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Nevermind

Not to mention the potentially lethal long term effects mentioned in discussed article.

Maybe so but I seriously grapple with it every day. It's such a strong desire. It sucks :/

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Elbow pain - what do I do about it? I went to the gym last monday and started off with dumbbell OHP, and when I got to my 55x5 sets I noticed a pain in my right elbow and wasn't able to do full sets because of it. It seems to be right below (above?) my elbow where it connects to my forearm. I think it's more on the inner side (the side closest to my body with my elbow pointed forward). Nothing else in my workout really seemed to aggravate from what I recall, maybe pullups. Wednesday was benchpress day and I avoided going to the gym to give it a rest, plus I've been feeling pretty drained lately. I can still sort of sense the pain there if I push just the right way. What should I do, just ice it? Compression or something?

TylerD

I'm using Onedrive so let me know if the videos don't work for some of you.

Squat form (last set): http://1drv.ms/1l61moz

Power Clean form (last set): http://1drv.ms/1l63cpD

I have been working on doing hip and ankle mobility stretches and a couple of exercises to work on form since Monday and I think it is already helping. I used a wider stance with my toes pointing out and only barely had my right heel come up on the set I filmed.

The PC is a bit of a mess right now, I think. Need to keep my back flat and lift more with the legs. Looks like my back is doing too much. I focused on keeping the bar very close to my shins and thighs and have the bruises on my shins to prove it. My finish should probably be a deeper squat and I need to get my elbows further out front and practice resting the bar on my shoulders.

What say you Fitness-GAF?

Reposting from earlier today.

So which is the better Whey: GNC Whey Iso Burst or Gold Standard 100% Whey?

They seem to be about the same price for the same amount in the bottle, but the Gold Standard has a smaller serving size (one scoop) compared to the GNC one (two scoops). I know that the GNC Whey Iso Burst is basically 99% isolate protein, but I was wondering if the Gold Standard one was similarly 99% isolate protein or if it is concentrate protein.

Cudder

So which is the better Whey: GNC Whey Iso Burst or Gold Standard 100% Whey?

They seem to be about the same price for the same amount in the bottle, but the Gold Standard has a smaller serving size (one scoop) compared to the GNC one (two scoops). I know that the GNC Whey Iso Burst is basically 99% isolate protein, but I was wondering if the Gold Standard one was similarly 99% isolate protein or if it is concentrate protein.

I actually just tried GNC's Isowhey last night, and it tasted like shit. I'm sticking with Optimum Nutrition. Pretty sure it's a concentrate, but I have no problem with that. 5lb tubs of isolate cost too much imo.

I actually just tried GNC's Isowhey last night, and it tasted like shit. I'm sticking with Optimum Nutrition. Pretty sure it's a concentrate, but I have no problem with that. 5lb tubs of isolate cost too much imo.

What's your favourite ON Gold Standard flavor btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom