• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
What I usually do for warm up is do 1 set of 1/4th my intended weight. Then another set 1/2 the weight before I do the intended weight.

I start with the bar ans do a reverse ladder leading up to my training weight. Then I bang out my regular sets.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just a quick update now that I'm a week into returning to lifting. Everything going well. I'm sore, as expected but was able to get through everything and record weights.

I've been doing 15 min on the treadmill, 35 lifting, then 15 on the elliptical on Mon, Weds, Fri and doing cardio (typically a random P90X or Insanity video) on Tues, Thurs.

So far so good. :p

Teggy

There are a lot of things wrong in that video but this one really stuck out as incredibly perilous. If you ever perform this compound lift and twist your neck like that under the weight of a moderately loaded bar you will completely fuck up your upper cervical spine.

Early on at the gym a guy clued me in to mounting the bar in the cage the opposite direction of the mirror and I've done my squats that way ever since. I concentrate on keeping my head in line with my spine by looking at a spot on the floor and I'm thinking about my breathing and the weight on my back. If I want to check my form I can take a video.

Pete Rock

I concentrate on keeping my head in line with my spine by looking at a spot on the floor and I'm thinking about my breathing and the weight on my back. If I want to check my form I can take a video.
Yup I always joke with my buddy that one day I finally learned to see squats the right way, with my third eye turned backwards! Regardless of the metaphor you definitely need to learn how to "feel" them into place over time as opposed to "viewing" them into place from an external perspective.

Looking forward to hearing reports on the Inzer belts from Imm0rt4l and Darth, I am fond of that quick release design and am interested to hear how it performs.

TylerD

Can't tell your squat depth since the camera angle is weird but you need to keep your neck packed and neutral. It looks like you're looking slightly up and that is def not good for your cervical spine. Try to keep your neck tight by staring straight forward.

As far as power cleans I would suggest ditching them altogether and replace them with barbell rows. Without proper coaching power clean technique is extremely difficult to master and imo isn't worth it if you're not doing any olympic style lifting.

I'll definitely consider this.

Are your legs close together? Looks like your knees are coming a long way forward.

My feet are slightly wider than shoulder width with my toes pointing out.

Ouch at the power clean. I fear you're heading toward snap city. Look up " fixing lower back rounding" or "lumbar rounding". Maybe try the cue "belly button out".

deadlift-technique-rounding-the-back-neutral-spine.jpg

Your squat: It looks like you have the bar on top of your shoulders which is high bar position. The strength programs SS/SL recommend low bar position. http://vimeo.com/30763907

The path that the bar travels should be vertical, straight up and down over your mid-foot. You are coming forward a lot. That means you need to keep your torso more upright, chest proud, and sit back more.

For both of these lifts, keep a tight back. Valsalva maneuver, engage the core, squeeze your armpits to engage your lats.

Form is less about flexibility/mobility and more about the technique of moving your body and what muscles to engage.

Not to take anything away from this OT, but I think these reddit resources are more useful and comprehensive in learning.

http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/s69bh/technique_thursdays_low_bar_squat
http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/trtaq/technique_thursdays_power_clean/
http://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/wiki/faq#wiki_technique_thursdays_discussions

I appreciate the critiques. My Starting Strength book arrived yesterday so I am going to give that a read and continue to do research and watch videos to improve.

Leeness

!!!

Yaaaas. Measured my waist this morning and I've gone from 31.5 inches to just over 30.

:D it's finally happening.

I still don't feel it or see it, but at least something says working out is doing anything.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
After 11 out of 12 days of 1800-2000 eating I'm about 10-11%. My scale is broken so I have no idea what I weigh but I guessing about 186-187. Bring on the summer cut thread! Two more weeks!

After 11 out of 12 days of 1800-2000 eating I'm about 10-11%. My scale is broken so I have no idea what I weigh but I guessing about 186-187. Bring on the summer cut thread! Two more weeks!

Do it up brah. I think I'm going to pass. Not where I want to be. I think honestly that I am going to stop posting any pics until I am happy with my current physique.

Cooter

Do it up brah. I think I'm going to pass. Not where I want to be. I think honestly that I am going to stop posting any pics until I am happy with my current physique.
I've been there. Sometimes it's better to hold out so the final product has more impact. You're close based on your last pic. I can tell you that.

Cooper

!!!

Yaaaas. Measured my waist this morning and I've gone from 31.5 inches to just over 30.

I still don't feel it or see it, but at least something says working out is doing anything.

Excellent. :) Good work not throwing in the towel when you were discouraged last week.

FallingEdge said:
I think honestly that I am going to stop posting any pics until I am happy with my current physique.

I don't know that I've commented on your photos, but each one you've posted over the last couple months have made me think "Wow." To me, you look almost exactly like your "end goal" pro wrestler pictures.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I start with the bar ans do a reverse ladder leading up to my training weight. Then I bang out my regular sets.

Same. I may be doing too many warm up sets, but I find the weight often feels too heavy if I jump too much at once.

For example, if I'm doing squats @ 180 lbs. I'll start with a set just using the bar, and then do a set with 20 lbs. on each side, then 40 lbs. on each side, then just a couple of reps at 60 lbs. on each side before moving to the work set weight of 67.5 lbs. on each side.

I think honestly that I am going to stop posting any pics until I am happy with my current physique.

Oh, come on. You know you're never going to be happy with your physique. You'll blow bast Tanahashi and still find something you don't like.

Yeah that's true. I think I'm fortunate enough to have good mobility ever since I was young (I'm Chinese, being able to squat deep is in my blood lol) and not have to work on it as much. Most people usually lack the proper posture, hip flexibility (? Having tight hip flexor and such), and/or ankle flexibility for a good squat.

I tried to teach a friend to squat but it was incredibly difficult because he lacked all of the above I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76UbfBr5vo

dem asian squat genes

!!!

Great news! Awesome to read that you're seeing progress on your side, Leeness. :)

!!!

Check how your clothes are fitting.

That's my first sign that Im making progress at the gym.

Congrats on the loss!!

I've been there. Sometimes it's better to hold out so the final product has more impact. You're close based on your last pic. I can tell you that.

My thoughts exactly and thanks!

I don't know that I've commented on your photos, but each one you've posted over the last couple months have made me think "Wow." To me, you look almost exactly like your "end goal" pro wrestler pictures.

Thanks dood. Still need to lean out quite a bit. But dropping down to around 225 lbs is scary to me.

Oh, come on. You know you're never going to be happy with your physique. You'll blow bast Tanahashi and still find something you don't like.

Heh. What I should have said is when I am done with this cut I will post a pic before wanting to bulk back up again.

Bowser

My thoughts exactly and thanks!

Thanks dood. Still need to lean out quite a bit. But dropping down to around 225 lbs is scary to me.

Heh. What I should have said is when I am done with this cut I will post a pic before wanting to bulk back up again.

lol that's 80 pounds heavier than I am right now...

Cooter

RDLs and hip thrusters today after DLs Tuesday and Squats Wednesday. Oh yeah. Giddy up!

Leeness

Excellent. :) Good work not throwing in the towel when you were discouraged last week.

Thanks. :D

Great news! Awesome to read that you're seeing progress on your side, Leeness. :)

Yaaaay!

Check how your clothes are fitting.

That's my first sign that Im making progress at the gym.

Congrats on the loss!!

Clothes are rude and fit the same lol... But the tape measure says SOMETHING so, imma just go with that and think I'm progressing a little. Haha. If I think about it too long, I'll convince myself nothing has happened.

Raide

I think this might be possibly the dumbest question anyone has asked on here but here goes! :D

Never really used the gym but I have my own set of random weights and bars at home. Recently went a tad crazy and got a Gym Membership for my local Gym, since I need something a little bit more routine.

What are the Do's and Don't when it comes to what to wear? I have plenty of Astroturf trainers but I don't think they are suitable, so including shoes. I don't want to go too crazy on price but I might as well get some good shoes and the rest of the gear.

UK based if that makes it a bit easier with suggestions.

No Love

Banned
I think this might be possibly the dumbest question anyone has asked on here but here goes! :D

Never really used the gym but I have my own set of random weights and bars at home. Recently went a tad crazy and got a Gym Membership for my local Gym, since I need something a little bit more routine.

What are the Do's and Don't when it comes to what to wear? I have plenty of Astroturf trainers but I don't think they are suitable, so including shoes. I don't want to go too crazy on price but I might as well get some good shoes and the rest of the gear.

UK based if that makes it a bit easier with suggestions.

Flat bottomed shoes that are comfortable. So don't wear running shoes or trainers while lifting. I just wear some cheap, completely flat shoes I picked up at Sears for $10 lol. Or sneakers if I need to.

No Love

Banned
My legs are feeling a lot better today. Wooh!

Lucky you. Think I pulled something slightly while doing sprints tonights ago... think it's the tendon/muscle near my left ankle. It sucks just walking around. Thinking maybe I should skip deadlifts or squats today and just do everything else I normally do on my back. Feels like DL's/squats might put too much pressure on my leg/ankle which might irritate it.

So... stupid question but is it true Creatine can cause Male Patten Baldness to accelerate? I did some Googling, and I found both sides to this "argument". My dad is bald, but his brother isn't and no one on my mom's side is bald.

Raide

Flat bottomed shoes that are comfortable. So don't wear running shoes or trainers while lifting. I just wear some cheap, completely flat shoes I picked up at Sears for $10 lol. Or sneakers if I need to.

Interesting. I do plan on doing some running, since I enjoy running but it will "hopefully" be mostly weight work. I think I am only getting so far at home, so having access to the rest of the equipment should help me out.

Daria

After the first few months this year I've been feeling a difference in how my clothes have been fitting. Haven't crunched numbers yet but I know I've had gains in strength, muscle and fat loss but I'm still looking to cut most of the fat to get better tone.

I just have a problem that I need some help with on trying to fight it: eating right.

Not so much about I don't know what to eat or anything like that, I can always just figure that out later. I'm talking about my self control. Telling myself to cut out anything but water, eat fresher foods and not taking shortcuts when I'm out or after a late night in the gym. Do you guys have anything you do to help you stay on track? I want to be at my goal weight and look (for the most part) before next summer if all goes well.

Imm0rt4l

I am pretty sure that yours came much faster than mine. I pretty much forgot the thing existed till it arrived. Like top grade quality, but no one warned me Santa was making it himself by hand.

So I go to assemble the thing, and realize they mistakenly sent me a large....now I'm going to have to wait another 4-6 weeks.

fuck me

edit: what color did you get?

speaking from personal experience, my hair is perfectly fine

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long have you been taking creatine for? And I'm assuming the men in your family have good hair as well?

My dad didn't lose hair until 45 (was thick before-hand), his mother has nylon-like hair at 87 and his brother at 60 has hair. My mom's dad had thick hair until he died, and her brothers also have hair.

Detox

Interesting. I do plan on doing some running, since I enjoy running but it will "hopefully" be mostly weight work. I think I am only getting so far at home, so having access to the rest of the equipment should help me out.
Get a cheap pair of converses, buy starting strength on kindle read it through and do the routine in the OP. You will already be ahead of 90% of the people at your gym when it comes to understanding weightlifting.

Raide

Get a cheap pair of converses, buy starting strength on kindle read it through and do the routine in the OP. You will already be ahead of 90% of the people at your gym when it comes to understanding weightlifting.

Sounds like shopping in the first port of call tomorrow morning then. If I get the right stuff, I am more likely to keep things going because I can see it doing something. :D

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long have you been taking creatine for? And I'm assuming the men in your family have good hair as well?

My dad didn't lose hair until 45 (was thick before-hand), his mother has nylon-like hair at 87 and his brother at 60 has hair. My mom's dad had thick hair until he died, and her brothers also have hair.

29 and a few years now. On and off though.

And I believe they do but to be perfectly honest, I am not sure. My mom's hair is still flowing at 55.

Just got my 5/3/1 book and compares to the SS book this thing is flimsy but has a wealth of info. I'm gonna read this thing front to back tonight. Can't wait to start lifting again (sidelined for a week because of fever)

Matugi

Back from the beach. Gained ~1 pound but a lot of water weight because of salty foods. Actually gained some ab definition despite putting on some weight. Looking to get back at it on Monday.

Also shoutsout to FE for having the top post on /r/fitness 's daily thread. Top reply of "You are the guy I would be afraid to mess with."

Mully

To anyone that uses MyFitnessPal.

Do you guys plug in any of the exercises you do?

I don't since it adds 500-600 calories if you plug in exercises, manual labor stuff, and walking. Should I be adding exercises?

TylerD

Progressed how I should through the first week of SS. Did a little extra arm work too.

When I started with my warm up squats I had a ton of stuff running through my head about what I should be doing with my form that I couldn't even complete a clean bar only rep. Took about 5 mins to clear my head and reset then everything was good to go. Reading SS over the weekend and I'll be ready Monday for more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom