• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper

To anyone that uses MyFitnessPal.

Do you guys plug in any of the exercises you do?

I don't since it adds 500-600 calories if you plug in exercises, manual labor stuff, and walking. Should I be adding exercises?

I don't bother logging exercise on MFP. I've learned through trial and error how I respond to a given calorie level with my usual exercise set.

Zoe

Ha. Yeah I know that. I'm set at 2010 calories/day right now. I'm just wondering if you guys plug in your exercises or not since it adds to your calories as if you burned 500 calories.

What do you expect it to do?

So after looking into it a bit more, I've come to the realization that Starting Strength isn't for me. It's a great program in its own right, but it's not what I'm looking to gain at this moment in time.

My goal is simply to gain more lean muscle, fix my posture and stop my shoulders from slouching. My slouching is so bad, that I look incredibly unconfident and the undergrad chair of my program wants me to fix it. Also my doctor made me do Adderall for a bit (off now though) and that destroyed my heart rate, so I want to incorporate some cardio to help fix that. I don't really mind if I minimize gains from cardio because my heart rate even gets up during exams and then I screw up on my exam. I don't want to necessarily get stronger but more get a better physique/posture, so a bodybuilder program would suit me better I think.

Age is 19, Height is 5'7, Weight is 147 lb and Body Fat is ~16-17%.

Thanks bros.

Chocobro

So after looking into it a bit more, I've come to the realization that Starting Strength isn't for me. It's a great program in its own right, but it's not what I'm looking to gain at this moment in time.

My goal is simply to gain more lean muscle, fix my posture and stop my shoulders from slouching. My slouching is so bad, that I look incredibly unconfident and the undergrad chair of my program wants me to fix it. Also my doctor made me do Adderall for a bit (off now though) and that destroyed my heart rate, so I want to incorporate some cardio to help fix that. I don't really mind if I minimize gains from cardio because my heart rate even gets up during exams and then I screw up on my exam. I don't want to necessarily get stronger but more get a better physique/posture, so a bodybuilder program would suit me better I think.

Thanks bros.

What helped me improve my posture is doing band pull-aparts with a resistance band, face pulls with external rotations, and thoracic extension mobility stretches/exercises. Only a month ago I started to stretch my pec minor and biceps. Do this prehab every day and your posture should improve.
If you haven't done any of those, give them a try and continue Starting Strength before dropping it, but you do want to incorporate some cardio so maybe the others can chime in.

Here's the source I used: YouTube video link.

Cooper

Also my doctor made me do Adderall for a bit (off now though) and that destroyed my heart rate, so I want to incorporate some cardio to help fix that. I don't really mind if I minimize gains from cardio because my heart rate even gets up during exams and then I screw up on my exam.

Speaking from personal experience, Starting Strength lowered my resting heart rate more than cardio ever did. My RHR was always low to mid 80s, even when doing personal trainer-designed workout routines for over a year. Last summer, I began Starting Strength on my own and ditched the cardio circuits. At my job's health fair in October, I was stunned to learn my RHR was 63! I didn't believe the number initially and took my heart rate several more times in various locations on different machines. Each measurement came back in the low 60s.

I have no idea why the weight lifting had such a dramatic impact on my heart rate, but it was the only variable I changed.

theytookourjobz

Thanks bros.

Deadlifts, squats, and presses will do wonders for your posture.

What helped me improve my posture is doing band pull-aparts with a resistance band, face pulls with external rotations, and thoracic extension mobility stretches/exercises. Only a month ago I started to stretch my pec minor and biceps. Do this prehab every day and your posture should improve.
If you haven't done any of those, give them a try and continue Starting Strength before dropping it, but you do want to incorporate some cardio so maybe the others can chime in.

Here's the source I used: YouTube video link.
Thanks for the link/tip! I'll look into this and incorporate it into my life/routine.

Speaking from personal experience, Starting Strength lowered my resting heart rate more than cardio ever did. My RHR was always low to mid 80s, even when doing personal trainer-designed workout routines for over a year. Last summer, I began Starting Strength on my own and ditched the cardio circuits. At my job's health fair in October, I was stunned to learn my RHR was 63! I didn't believe the number initially and took my heart rate several more times in various locations on different machines. Each measurement came back in the low 60s.

I have no idea why the weight lifting had such a dramatic impact on my heart rate, but it was the only variable I changed.
Congrats on reducing your RHR! I get out of breath even running to catch the bus (because of the meds), so I want to do some form of cardio.

Deadlifts, squats, and presses will do wonders for your posture.

I already do all three!

Also as a side note, I'm kind of tired/bored of doing squats every workout. I'd be okay with doing it twice a week, but every workout is overkill for me personally.

Leeness

Didn't work out tonight because I'm listening to an audio book and I had to finish, so I went for a long walk on trails and listened. Haha

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Thanks bros.

What is lean muscle? I'm always curious what exactly that means. You also state you don't want to get stronger. Muscle gain usually is a result of strength gains. They typically go hand and hand. Not always but it's usually the case.

You should do SS or some type of variant that has you learn the core lifts. Master these and your posture should improve along with this 'lean muscle' you covet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Also as a side note, I'm kind of tired/bored of doing squats every workout. I'd be okay with doing it twice a week, but every workout is overkill for me personally.

Not to sound like an asshole, but why do you think you are unique or something?

The whole point of these beginner programs is to build a foundation for people who don't have one. As a beginner, why are you trying to modify the program(s)?

I mean, sure you can be another one of those random dudes who does their own thing in the gym, but you're probably going to end up hurting yourself and/or not seeing much progress.

What is lean muscle? I'm always curious what exactly that means. You also state you don't want to get stronger. Muscle gain usually is a result of strength gains. They typically go hand and hand. Not always but it's usually the case.

You should do SS or some type of variant that has you learn the core lifts. Master these and your posture should improve along with this 'lean muscle' you covet.

To be honest, I don't know what lean muscle exactly is. I've heard it being used a lot when referring to "dem gainz" so I thought it was muscle being built. Kind of like in "lean chicken breast". :p Also I didn't mean I didn't want to get stronger, but that it isn't a large focus for me right now as much as the posture issue is. I will be able to lift more when I gain more muscle, but I meant that I didn't want to necessarily be able to bench 250 lbs any time soon. What are some good variants of SS that you would recommend?

Not to sound like an asshole, but why do you think you are unique or something?

The whole point of these beginner programs is to build a foundation for people who don't have one. As a beginner, why are you trying to modify the program(s)?

I mean, sure you can be another one of those random dudes who does their own thing in the gym, but you're probably going to end up hurting yourself and/or not seeing much progress.
I guess I just don't understand the benefits of doing that specific exercise every workout, simply because I'm new to this. But if it is something I should do every workout, can you please explain why?

I want to keep doing HIIT Tues/Thurs/Sat until I fix the chaos Adderall unleashed on my heart, so this would be 6 days were the legs get actively used. Would this be okay/safe or would it make me more prone to injury?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I just don't understand the benefits of doing that specific exercise every workout, simply because I'm new to this. But if it is something I should do every workout, can you please explain why?

I want to keep doing HIIT Tues/Thurs/Sat until I fix the chaos Adderall unleashed on my heart, so this would be 6 days were the legs get actively used. Would this be okay/safe or would it make me more prone to injury?

Well, rest days should be rest days, so I don't know about doing HIIT on each of them. I guess some might be fine, but if you're not resting on your rest days, you're not doing the program.

The squat is a full body compound workout, and many believe it to really be the king of all workouts. It doesn't only strengthen your legs, but also your core, which you'll need for everything. Strengthening your core will also improve your poster.

The barbell lifts are compound lifts. They're meant to work multiple muscle groups and be the core workouts of a powerlifter. Lifting for power will then allow you to explore into other programming for muscle sculpting and what have you.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

http://startingstrength.com

Do some research and see that the majority of major competitive lifters have done something close to starting strength.

But I mean, go ahead if you don't want to listen and do stuff like this:

6xPm2Sf.jpg

The barbell lifts are compound lifts. They're meant to work multiple muscle groups and be the core workouts of a powerlifter. Lifting for power will then allow you to explore into other programming for muscle sculpting and what have you.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

http://startingstrength.com

Do some research and see that the majority of major competitive lifters have done something close to starting strength.

But I mean, go ahead if you don't want to listen and do stuff like this:

[pic]
Haha what is that pic

Haha what is that pic

ohhthegore posted these shenanigans going on in his gym.

These are guys that obviously don't have a clue what to do.

If anyone went up to them and told them they were wrong, then that person would be the asshole. But doing stuff like that is how you stupidly injure yourself.

If anyone went up to them and told them they were wrong, then that person would be the asshole. But doing stuff like that is how you stupidly injure yourself.

So just to be clear, if my goals are not power lifting but rather bodybuilding, should I still give SS a go or look into another program? For sure it has made me stronger, but I can't really see a difference. And people on bb.com forums say only do SS if you want to be a power lifter and look into something else if body building is the goal.

So I'm confused/lost. The guy in the change room at the gym change room was preaching to me about SS so there's that.

So just to be clear, if my goals are not power lifting but rather bodybuilding, should I still give SS a go or look into another program? For sure it has made me stronger, but I can't really see a difference. And people on bb.com forums say only do SS if you want to be a power lifter and look into something else if body building is the goal.

So I'm confused/lost. The guy in the change room at the gym change room was preaching to me about SS so there's that.

My goal is bodybuilding, because I don't think I'm really built to ever lift in any kind of impressive way.

So I spent a lot of time doing "bodybuilding" stuff. It worked a bit, it'll get you somewhere, but the problem I hit was I wasn't really strong or knowledgeable enough to do it properly.

So I started doing SS and so far it has done exactly what it says on the box. That is, I'm getting a lot stronger. In practical terms, I used to use the 20kg dumbells for chest press and felt that was about "it" for me. Now I can easily use the 35kg, just a few months later.

My advice would be to stick with SS to get a real foundation for your lifting. Once you have hit your limits, you can then go about shaping your body and doing all the cosmetic stuff properly.

At least that is my plan. I think I have at least another 6 months to a year before I even think about doing something else.

yogloo

A lot of people prescribes SS for beginners because it does what it says. Starting strength. After you have achieved a strength foundation, then it is easier for you to get result out of other programs.
This is a program that I am doing right now. I like it more than SS simply because of the slower progression. It gives you more time to recuperate, I am not that young anymore. Starting strength's aggresive weight ramp is tough on joints.
Regarding results, you will probably only start to notice changes after a year. There's a maximum amount of muscle that we can grow in a month.

A Simple beginner's Routine
You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

If you have any other questions about the program just read the faqs. It is explained very well I think.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761

You're getting stronger but you don't see a difference… and exactly how is that a bad thing?

I'll say this: anything that BB.com will promise you on quick results and shit like that is hyperbole. You won't magically gain a six pack and swole arms and defined everything, but SS is proven and it has results you can track. If you want the six pack and the other chiseled features, you have to overhaul your diet and eat really clean.

At the end of the day, you can do whatever you want and choose to listen to whomever you think will help. I can't tell you what to do, because I don't really know what your end goal is in the gym, guy.

I don't think anyone here will argue against the proven track record of SS.

Besides, you said yourself you're not knowledgable enough to do anything fancy, so why are you trying to complicate your routine with programming that is for experts/frequent lifters?

You're getting stronger but you don't see a difference… and exactly how is that a bad thing?

I'll say this: anything that BB.com will promise you on quick results and shit like that is hyperbole. You won't magically gain a six pack and swole arms and defined everything, but SS is proven and it has results you can track. If you want the six pack and the other chiseled features, you have to overhaul your diet and eat really clean.

At the end of the day, you can do whatever you want and choose to listen to whomever you think will help. I can't tell you what to do, because I don't really know what your end goal is in the gym, guy.

I don't think anyone here will argue against the proven track record of SS.

Besides, you said yourself you're not knowledgable enough to do anything fancy, so why are you trying to complicate your routine with programming that is for experts/frequent lifters?

Because SS will make you fatter (seen a lot of after photos online, and Mark Rippetoe said so himself). You are supposed to do SS, and then worry about fixing shape/sculpting. I am not opposed to doing SS actually... it's just that I have major school interviews in October so I need to look really good (good posture, confidence etc). I've already spoken to my undergrad chair about this, so it's definitely a focus for me. I'm kind of paranoid of looking even a bit more fat. Even though I'll be able to bench/squat/deadlift more, I want to be able to sit in a chair better and give a more firm handshake, in addition to fixing the little screw ups my posture already has. I think after this, I would be more comfortable with SS. This is really my only "fear" of SS.

Because SS will make you fatter (seen a lot of after photos online, and Mark Rippetoe said so himself). You are supposed to do SS, and then worry about fixing shape/sculpting. I am not opposed to doing SS actually... it's just that I have major school interviews in October so I need to look really good (good posture, confidence etc). I've already spoken to my undergrad chair about this, so it's definitely a focus for me. I'm kind of paranoid of looking even a bit more fat. Even though I'll be able to bench/squat/deadlift more, I want to be able to sit in a chair better and give a more firm handshake, in addition to fixing the little screw ups my posture already has. I think after this, I would be more comfortable with SS. This is really my only "fear" of SS.

I don't know much about what you are talking about...but couldn't you just sit up straight and squeeze their hand tightly?

Doesn't sound like something that requires a major fitness routines unless the interviews go for 3 weeks or something.

Fatter? You mean your arms will get bigger and your shoulders will get bigger?

As far as I know, you get fatter by eating more calories than your body burns.

Are you eating more than your body can burn?

As far as a firmer grip and good posture and confidence, nothing will help with the above more than seeing your results grow.

Your grip will get stronger the more weight you lift and the further you go along.

And by doing farmer walks to improve it.

I don't know much about what you are talking about...but couldn't you just sit up straight and squeeze their hand tightly?

Doesn't sound like something that requires a major fitness routines unless the interviews go for 3 weeks or something.

Well that was one part of the reason. The other part is that I'm a skinny-fat kind of guy and would want to gain some definition. I don't think I'm articulating myself correctly; I don't think SS is bad but I don't think it's what I'm looking for right now. It's focused on improving the squat/deadlift/bench stats over looking good. So a lot of people gain weight because he just says to "eat a lot and not think too much about diet".

Also as a side note: I've done P90X in the past, and I quite liked the way it was set up. How specific exercises were on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have seen some great gainz for this program when I did it many years ago, so I would like to sort of emulate this in the gym. Is this a bad idea?

Well that was one part of the reason. The other part is that I'm a skinny-fat kind of guy and would want to gain some definition. I don't think I'm articulating myself correctly; I don't think SS is bad but I don't think it's what I'm looking for right now. It's focused on improving the squat/deadlift/bench stats over looking good. So a lot of people gain weight because he just says to "eat a lot and not think too much about diet".

Also as a side note: I've done P90X in the past, and I quite liked the way it was set up. How specific exercises were on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have seen some great gainz for this program when I did it many years ago, so I would like to sort of emulate this in the gym. Is this a bad idea?

It sounds like you've made up your mind already.

Do what you will.

Fatter? You mean your arms will get bigger and your shoulders will get bigger?

As far as I know, you get fatter by eating more calories than your body burns.

Are you eating more than your body can burn?

As far as a firmer grip and good posture and confidence, nothing will help with the above more than seeing your results grow.

Your grip will get stronger the more weight you lift and the further you go along.

And by doing farmer walks to improve it.

Well, for example this individual said it's not good for skinny-fat people (which is what my body type is). I guess I have a lot of misinformation right now from reading bb.com posts. I was convinced of SS from reading this thread, but now bb.com posts are messing with my head.

It sounds like you've made up your mind already.

Do what you will.

BTW out of curiosity, how long have you done the program and how are your results so far? And what is your general opinion on the Monday Chest—Wednesday Arms—Friday Legs typical routine people sometimes do versus a full-body workout?

I guess I have a lot of misinformation right now from reading bb.com posts.

Yeah that'll happen....

It does sound like you know what you are after, so go for it. I just feel you are setting yourself up to stuff around for a bit longer where you will only get minor results. I only say this because I stuffed around for a long time and only got minor results.

And as for that link? You'll notice the guy got great results doing something else and seems to be saying his methods are much better than SS.

But he only got those results AFTER doing SS and achieving massive gains in his strength. Even in his after shots, he might look fatter, but all that new muscle is underneath just ready to come out.

Well, for example this individual said it's not good for skinny-fat people (which is what my body type is). I guess I have a lot of misinformation right now from reading bb.com posts. I was convinced of SS from reading this thread, but now bb.com posts are messing with my head.

BB.com also has a lot of that red pill MRA shit.
They love to throw around bro science.

BTW out of curiosity, how long have you done the program and how are your results so far? And what is your general opinion on the Monday Chest—Wednesday Arms—Friday Legs typical routine people sometimes do versus a full-body workout?[

I started in late March and my SS lifts currently are as of yesterday (numbers are in LBs):

Squat: 255
Deadlift: 275
OHP: 105
Bench: 135
Power Clean: 125
Pull Ups: 2 unassisted, 8-10 assisted 130
Rows: 95
Farmer Walks: 1:30 with 65 lb dumbbells.

In this short span I've lost between 15-20 lbs, lost 1.5 inches from my gut, and gained 2 inches in my arms and shoulders.

I don't believe in training body parts yet, because I believe strength should be first and foremost functional, not aesthetic first. You see a lot of guys walking around with huge arms and swole chests but chicken legs and tiny wrists. To me, that just screams injury.

Yeah that'll happen....

It does sound like you know what you are after, so go for it. I just feel you are setting yourself up to stuff around for a bit longer where you will only get minor results. I only say this because I stuffed around for a long time and only got minor results.

And as for that link? You'll notice the guy got great results doing something else and seems to be saying his methods are much better than SS.

But he only got those results AFTER doing SS and achieving massive gains in his strength. Even in his after shots, he might look fatter, but all that new muscle is underneath just ready to come out.
How long would you recommend doing SS before switching to something else? I've done SS (minus the powercleans because I can't get the form and added bicep curls every other workout) for about 6-7 ish weeks now. But I didn't increase my caloric intake dramatically and I didn't do GOMAD.

I started in late March and my SS lifts currently are as of yesterday (numbers are in LBs):

Squat: 255
Deadlift: 275
OHP: 105
Bench: 135
Power Clean: 125
Pull Ups: 2 unassisted, 8-10 assisted 130
Rows: 95
Farmer Walks: 1:30 with 65 lb dumbbells.

In this short span I've lost between 15-20 lbs, lost 1.5 inches from my gut, and gained 2 inches in my arms and shoulders.
Those are some great stats! Congrats! Also are your rows barbell or dumbbell?

How long would you recommend doing SS before switching to something else? I've done SS (minus the powercleans because I can't get the form and added bicep curls every other workout) for about 6-7 ish weeks now. But I didn't increase my caloric intake dramatically and I didn't do GOMAD.

Those are some great stats! Congrats! Also are your rows barbell or dumbbell?

Barbell, but I have a squat rack where you can hook one side of a barbell in and lock it and put the weight on the other side.

I'll just slap on a 45, then add 25,then switch out the 25 for another 45.

Done in 10-15 mins.

And honestly, I give fuck all about the numbers. I want to see the results on my body and I have!

I just realize that SS and fitness GAF and the whole going to the gym is now something I do, not something I can follow for 3 weeks and expect miracles.

Barbell, but I have a squat rack where you can hook one side of a barbell in and lock it and put the weight on the other side.

I'll just slap on a 45, then add 25,then switch out the 25 for another 45.

Done in 10-15 mins.

And honestly, I give fuck all about the numbers. I want to see the results on my body and I have!

I just realize that SS and fitness GAF and the whole going to the gym is now something I do, not something I can follow for 3 weeks and expect miracles.

Thanks for your help DoktorEvil and all the other members that posted! I appreciate all of your advice.

I guess I'm going to continuing SS (but still do a bit of cardio because of other external health reasons I mentioned before), but lay off on modifying the program otherwise. I'll continue to do it until end of July or August (I started early May) to build a good foundation and then do some research and create a routine for myself, if needed, at that time.

Thanks for your help DoktorEvil and all the other members that posted! I appreciate all of your advice.

I guess I'm going to continuing SS (but still do a bit of cardio because of other external health reasons I mentioned before), but lay off on modifying the program otherwise. I'll continue to do it until end of July or August (I started early May) to build a good foundation and then do some research and create a routine for myself, if needed, at that time.

Good luck.

Lol I WISH I was the one who witnessed this in real life and took that pic. It's just a pic I found floating on the interwebs

Faiz

Anyone have any suggestions for working out a dominance of one leg in squats? I spent months and months working it out just with patience and practice in the past but being out of the gym for a year led to its return. Friday's sets made this obvious as I'm approaching my previous working weight and my right leg was strained a little beyond soreness.

The dominance originates from a history of weakness/instability in my left knee dating back to age 12. Doctors originally called it growing pains (bullshit) but my orthopedist assured me structurally nothing was wrong with it a few years ago. It used to be painful just from simple tasks but the pain diasappered years ago when I started weight training. It's still pain free, but the right leg dominance has returned.

At this point my plan is to simply reduce the load and patiently work through it again unless someone has tips that would be more effective.

Raide

Anyone have any suggestions for working out a dominance of one leg in squats? I spent months and months working it out just with patience and practice in the past but being out of the gym for a year led to its return. Friday's sets made this obvious as I'm approaching my previous working weight and my right leg was strained a little beyond soreness.

The dominance originates from a history of weakness/instability in my left knee dating back to age 12. Doctors originally called it growing pains (bullshit) but my orthopedist assured me structurally nothing was wrong with it a few years ago. It used to be painful just from simple tasks but the pain diasappered years ago when I started weight training. It's still pain free, but the right leg dominance has returned.

At this point my plan is to simply reduce the load and patiently work through it again unless someone has tips that would be more effective.

Would adding weight to the other leg help out? If you weight one leg and run, would this gradually make the balance return? I have no knowledge of this, so just throwing out ideas.

Faiz

Would adding weight to the other leg help out? If you weight one leg and run, would this gradually make the balance return? I have no knowledge of this, so just throwing out ideas.

I'm not sure but either way running is unfortunately out. I've had two ankle surgeries and I pretty much have to completely avoid any high impact training. The second surgery was from a reinjury that occurred doing sprints.

Matugi

To be fair the guy on the right isn't really doing anything wrong. About the only thing the smith machine is good for is calf raises

Pizoxuat

After the first few months this year I've been feeling a difference in how my clothes have been fitting. Haven't crunched numbers yet but I know I've had gains in strength, muscle and fat loss but I'm still looking to cut most of the fat to get better tone.

I just have a problem that I need some help with on trying to fight it: eating right.

Not so much about I don't know what to eat or anything like that, I can always just figure that out later. I'm talking about my self control. Telling myself to cut out anything but water, eat fresher foods and not taking shortcuts when I'm out or after a late night in the gym. Do you guys have anything you do to help you stay on track? I want to be at my goal weight and look (for the most part) before next summer if all goes well.

What helps me when I am restricting what I eat it to fully engage with my eating. What I mean is, to actually take a moment to look at what I am going to eat, to think about how it fits into my eating plan, and to force myself to make a conscious decision to eat it. It's very easy to grab something with vague knowledge of what you are eating and just scarf it down and later recognize the actual impact of what you ate on your eating plan.

Really look at what you are about to eat. Take a moment to think about what's in it and how that impacts your macros/calories. Make a real decision on if it fits, if it's a cheat, and what that means for later. Then eat it, or replace it.

I don't think there are really any tricks for the willpower to decide not to eat something and replace it for something else. Just have lots of good, healthy food on hand to make replacement easier when you decide that's what you need to do, and then do it.

Pete Rock

In my opinion and experience, because that's all I know, I ground out SS for about 16 months and three or four resets before switching to GSLP. This was only due to being particularly bottom heavy, having progressed my squats and deadlifts to 2x body weight while my bench was lingering around +20 lbs on body weight. You can "only" squat 2x a week but I think it is only a good idea after you have built in hundreds of reps of muscle memory. I kind of do a modified GSLP that focuses on volume instead of a single AMRAP at the end and I really enjoy the mix, but I could almost guarantee if you handed me the programming I am doing now a year ago and said "go up in 5 lbs when you feel like it" I wouldn't be moving very heavy weights at all at this point.

Also if "getting fat" is a concern there is absolutely no reason you can't incorporate an Intermittent Fasting schedule in conjunction with the strength programming. Things will go slower but you will be getting incrementally leaner as time goes on and I find this to be a better up front exchange rather than diving into bulk mode for an indefinite period until you feel disgusted with your fatness.

I would be skeptical of anything on bb.com or anecdotal reports from those members, but then again I have a lot of confirmation bias due to the fact that I tend to agree with the other folks here more often than not, so there's that.

despire

A couple of people keep mentioning this to me.

ZMA DELUXE FORMULA 500mg 240 CAPSULES MUSCLE GROWTH-TESTOSTERONE BOOSTER

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009K4GSB2/

What say you fitGAF? Waste of money?

It won't raise your testosterone but it might improve your sleep. It did mine. I don't take plain magnesium anymore since now I just take ZMA. I buy the cheapest I can find which isn't much more expensive than normal magnesium.

The claims for improving test come from the fact that if you have chronically low levels of zinc it might affect your T. So supplementing with zinc may improve your T if you're one of those poor souls.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Was feeling pretty good after getting 5 pullps with 95lbs. Finally getting back to my pre injured self. So good that I snapped my first gym selfie. I'm in the club FE and Imm0rt4l!

13f73750-5058-4213-8afe-abe9dbb77ff3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom