• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Greetings fitnessGAF!

At the start of my third year of college, I weighed 125 lbs (I'm 5'9"). In about February of that school year, I started a variation of rippetoe's starting strength routine. By May, I was 150 lbs and had increased my lifts significantly. Unfortunately, a few months later I was unknowingly onset with celiac's disease. No matter what I did, I couldn't gain weight and I had trouble eating a lot of food. Fast forward to May of last year and I finally got my positive celiac's diagnosis. The state of my intestines wasn't great and having to go on a strict gluten free diet messed me up fairly badly. I dropped back down to 125 lbs. (You can search this thread, I actually asked back in Aug last year if anyone knew anything about good gluten free diets).

I've since tried to return to the gym in bouts (usually one month at a time), but was unable to commit properly due to continued pains and such. Well, I finally went back to the gym two weeks ago and I'm happy to report that I'm gaining weight again! I can't express how good this feels. In two weeks I've gained 10 lbs back :) Not much but I hope I can get back to 150 lbs and my old lift numbers in a few months!

Just thought I would come post this here since it feels good finally.

Congratulations brother! With GF bring such a big part of society these days, research should definitely help you find ways of keeping the weight on!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NOEMA WELCOME BACK. Goddamn you been gone a while, may have missed your return. We all missed you.

3phemeral

Wow he's big lol. What are those huge plates for?

Says so in the back :)

zbFMwTY.jpg

Imm0rt4l

If I want to get rid of scar tissue where I broke my leg and in my ankles, what is the technique called for breaking it apart? And who would I best be served going to in order to have done or learning how to do it myself?

I've been working on able mobility and am closer to being able to squat flat footed like a baby, but I feel scar tissue is holding me back quite a bit

Active release technique(ART)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yup I'm 5'8. Maybe it's the angle? He's at least 6 foot

6 foot ain't that big. Especially if you're a big 5'8" guy. I just expected him to be thicker and taller.

I wanna get down there wi a buddy and take a crack at that axel.

Ah I see. 700 total im assuming. Also the bar looks really high...

Ah ok I've heard it called MAT or muscle activation technique. I'll start looking around for practitioners of the art.

It's 1400+ total and its a team lift. If you get it your pic goes on the wall.

SeanR1221

6 foot ain't that big. Especially if you're a big 5'8" guy. I just expected him to be thicker and taller.

I wanna get down there wi a buddy and take a crack at that axel..

Lol maybe I've gotten bigger looking than I realized.

He had some nice bench tips for me. I'm going to start bringing the bar down lower on my chest which will help tuck my elbows. I just really really need to work on that leg drive on the way up. He said I can send him videos which was really nice.

We went on to do 4 sets of dips till failure, inverted rows on the smith machine and upright dumbbell rows leaning my chest on the bench. He said the last two will really help my upper back.

And yeah if you ever take a trip to philly, let's meet up, lift and crush some iron sport burgers :-D

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That picture really drives home how massive you've gotten Sean. Damn!

___

Feels good my squat has come back. My light days are 315x4x8 now.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys! I can't wait to see where his tips lead me in 2015. That, plus the fsrners handles I plan on ordering next month, should lead to some nice results.

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Nine Complete, Tour Complete

Well that wasn't any bloody fun. There's absolutely nothing left in my legs, and I stupidly decided that after dropping the power yesterday I'd go back to full again today. Shows how tired I am that my average HR looks sort of pathetic, but I gave everything I had to give... and have the pictures to prove it! Got five new PRs in the process too. :)

ISLAGIATT (It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time)
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1603189-sufferfest-islagiatt

It will be a weary, weary peloton that faces the final mountainous stage of the Tour of Sufferlandria. Only the hardiest of souls – and that means you – will be capable of making the moves necessary through the fabled lava snow of Mt. Sufferlandria. VICTORY – and another full year of bragging – await those who make it this far.

I'll put some stats together on the entire thing when I've done some recovering.

ILoveBish

Well, relationship over. I have been under heavy stress for a while with this girl, and it's all done now. Going to just chill for a while and hit the gym hard on Monday.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, relationship over. I have been under heavy stress for a while with this girl, and it's all done now. Going to just chill for a while and hit the gym hard on Monday.

Keep your focus brother.

Shit sucks but it gets better. Worst thing you can do though is fall off the bandwagon with things like your weight loss and strength training. Keep on working hard and i'm sure you'll feel better soon, best of luck man!

Cooter

Shit sucks but it gets better. Worst thing you can do though is fall off the bandwagon with things like your weight loss and strength training. Keep on working hard and i'm sure you'll feel better soon, best of luck man!
Not going to happen with bish. Guy's a machine. Good luck big guy. There's someone better out there for you. Believe it. Just need to meet her.

So, girlfriend left me, never done any physical exercise in my life (outside of some VERY casual jogging) and I want to join a gym. Want to look good. Not bulky, just nicely toned.

What do?

SeanR1221

So, girlfriend left me, never done any physical exercise in my life (outside of some VERY casual jogging) and I want to join a gym. Want to look good. Not bulky, just nicely toned.

What do?

Hey you took my advice from your breakup thread and you're ready to get huge. Welcome.

First, let's throw out those terms bulky and toned. Bulky isn't going to just happen. I'd assume by bulky you mean what most people refer to as "too big." That takes a lot of hard work.

Now toned, throw that out too. That's after you've built up some muscle (and fat) and you keep your muscle but lose the fat.

If you want to look good, I'd recomend building an actual strength base up for 6-9 months and go from there. A routine like in the OP will do you good.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hah. Had a great cutting week. My weight "whooshed" down 2.8 lbs overnight and now I'm second guessing my Superbowl party cheat plans. Lol

Kimaxe

Good day ! I need some advice from you FitnessGaf.
I used to lift weights and eat right for 2 years, enough to be a bit fit, 200lbs for 6ft 3". For some reasons (mainly stress and well, depression) I stopped working out since last april, now I'm down to 155lbs. Yup. It's time to get my shit together, I want to lift again because I felt well when I was working out, and I really have to improve my health.
Question is: since I'm a bit bigger than a skeleton, if I lift like before and eat in bulke mode (+20%), will it be counterproductive if I want to gain some weight ? Or should I start by only eating right and then work out again when I'll be back to a normal weight ? The ideal solution would be to lift and eat +50% but I'm not sure my stomach can handle it haha.

Cooter

I used to lift weights and eat right for 2 years, enough to be a bit fit, 200lbs for 6ft 3". For some reasons (mainly stress and well, depression) I stopped working out since last april, now I'm down to 155lbs. Yup. It's time to get my shit together, I want to lift again because I felt well when I was working out, and I really have to improve my health.
Question is: since I'm a bit bigger than a skeleton, if I lift like before and eat in bulke mode (+20%), will it be counterproductive if I want to gain some weight ? Or should I start by only eating right and then work out again when I'll be back to a normal weight ? The ideal solution would be to lift and eat +50% but I'm not sure my stomach can handle it haha.

First option. Eat and start lifting now. There is no benefit to waiting and all you'd be doing is wasting time you will never get back.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Sorry I haven't post here in a while. Kind of pissed at my self that I haven't been working out as hard as I wanted to because an injury. Well I don't know if it's an injury or medical issue. My wrist is fucked right now. Everything I do makes the dam thing hurt. Even when I'm not working out. And it makes a weird sound. The sound thing been there since I was in the Marine Corps. But now it worse!

GAAAH I hate being hurt!!!!

I dont want sympathy! I need motivation!!! FITGAF INSPIRE ME TO WORKOUT HARDER!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sorry I haven't post here in a while. Kind of pissed at my self that I haven't been working out as hard as I wanted to because an injury. Well I don't know if it's an injury or medical issue. My wrist is fucked right now. Everything I do makes the dam thing hurt. Even when I'm not working out. And it makes a weird sound. The sound thing been there since I was in the Marine Corps. But now it worse!

Tough love coming.

Nobody cares is you don't post. Don't apologize. Also, nobody cares about "BEAST MODE!!!" Or "GYM TIME GUYS LETS GET IT!!" It's all bullshit. If you can't motivate yourself for the gym and need to do that shit in a forum there's a bigger issue.

That said it sucks about your injury, but you need to really think here. If your wrist is fucked you probably need to take care of it before you make it worse.

Wolfe

I asked for opinions on ON Whey Protein flavors a few pages back. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149450399&postcount=13394
Wolfe didn't like the vanilla flavor. Hated it.

Two of my friends tried it and said it "sucked ass". Huge regret because they bought a 5lb tub.

I'm still working through a 5lb tub atm myself :(, less than half to go. Another issue I have with vanilla compared to DRC is the consistency, vanilla is super fluffy and ends up feeling like I have to down a larger than normal serving lol.

As someone 6'2'' and with a healthy sedentary body weight of 150ish (yes it's extremely skinny to some, but I never had any health, strength or endurance issues when it came to physical outdoor activities like hiking/backpacking or casual sports stuff) my advice is just get back into it. I've had to restart twice now after having to take a break from the gym and not keeping up my upped food intake which resulted in my losing all of the weight that I had gained each time. If anything it'll be easier to get back into it since you body will have an easier time rebuilding what you've done before.

Hell even though it sucks having to redo it, gaining strength/weight back in the gym has always been easier for me than it was putting that weight on/gaining the strength was in the first place.

Heal up dude, as someone that just took a week off after having taken it easy the month before that due to a hyperextension in my right elbow that is finally almost fully back to normal, I can't get behind your request :p. I sympathize though lol, taking this week off has been awful, it's like I can see myself withering away... haha.

Kimaxe

First option. Eat and start lifting now. There is no benefit to waiting and all you'd be doing is wasting time you will never get back.
As someone 6'2'' and with a healthy sedentary body weight of 150ish (yes it's extremely skinny to some, but I never had any health, strength or endurance issues when it came to physical outdoor activities like hiking/backpacking or casual sports stuff) my advice is just get back into it. I've had to restart twice now after having to take a break from the gym and not keeping up my upped food intake which resulted in my losing all of the weight that I had gained each time. If anything it'll be easier to get back into it since you body will have an easier time rebuilding what you've done before.

Hell even though it sucks having to redo it, gaining strength/weight back in the gym has always been easier for me than it was putting that weight on/gaining the strength was in the first place.

Thank you for the replies, I'll hit the gym tonight !

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tough love coming.

Nobody cares is you don't post. Don't apologize. Also, nobody cares about "BEAST MODE!!!" Or "GYM TIME GUYS LETS GET IT!!" It's all bullshit. If you can't motivate yourself for the gym and need to do that shit in a forum there's a bigger issue.

That said it sucks about your injury, but you need to really think here. If your wrist is fucked you probably need to take care of it before you make it worse.

That reminds me, what happened to that one dude who would always do that about a year ago? Fuck, I can't remember his name...The dude with the ungodly bad squats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom