• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys. Yesterday was my light chest day so I figured what the hell? My previous high was 23 so that felt good. Amazing what happens when you are as strict about a calorie surplus as you are a deficit.

FUCK A FRONT SQUAT!
They're extremely awkward, to the point were I'm don't care about the additional benefits!

I’m eating my words now. I’ve been doing Front Squat and I have to say, THEY ARE AMAZING! It hits your legs right. I don’t know the technical details of the Front Squat, but you can feel and see the different.

As you see in my quote; Yes, it’s awkward, but your body will adjust. Also, I don’t use the Olympic grip; I use the Bodybuilder grip… YES, I heard Olympic is better, but IDGAF.

My advice is “chock" yourself with the bar at lower portion of your neck (the bar should barely touch your neck), it allows for proper placement of the bar on your shoulders. Another bit; if you’re testing out the front squat add some weight to the bar, it help groove the bar into your shoulders. I first attempted front squat with too light of weight and it felt more awkward than with a slightly heavier load.

YQnil5Cl.jpg

Most guys start lifting to impress girls, once you get your body to where you'd never thought it'd get all you get is attention from guys.

Guys are better at giving you compliments too. I always tell my friends if you lift for yourself and not for girls, your gonna stick with it and really make a change in your body.

Damn team Jones you are looking good. Front squats are great. Doing them today actually.

Cooter

You goddamn beast.

BTW, what gym is that? Looks fucking amazing...like Elysium.
Thanks man. It's a gym in south Reno. Hands down the best gym I've been in. It used to be an old computer battey manufacturer building. It's freaking huge! Upstairs has it's own free weight area plus a separate cardio area. Downstairs there are 2 full court basketball courts, 40 yards of turf for sled pulling and stuff, that incline hill you see, a dedicated deadlifting area with 4 pads, plus a hammer strength area and some machines. It's crazy. Oh, they also have a hair salon and an "age management doctor." Place is huge. I love the openness.

EDIT: Shit. Forgot the 2 racquetball courts.

Szu

Thanks guys. Yesterday was my light chest day so I figured what the hell? My previous high was 23 so that felt good. Amazing what happens when you are as strict about a calorie surplus as you are a deficit.

Cooter, your light chest day looks like my squat day. Freaking animal.

You goddamn beast.

BTW, what gym is that? Looks fucking amazing...like Elysium.

That gym does look like Elysium!

Makes me miss the gym at the Pentagon. It was under construction and it was still nice. I need to work for the DoD again!!

Thanks man. It's a gym in south Reno. Hands down the best gym I've been in. It used to be an old computer battey manufacturer building. It's freaking huge! Upstairs has it's own free weight area plus a separate cardio area. Downstairs there are 2 full court basketball courts, 40 yards of turf for sled pulling and stuff, that incline hill you see, a dedicated deadlifting area with 4 pads, plus a hammer strength area and some machines. It's crazy. Oh, they also have a hair salon and an "age management doctor." Place is huge. I love the openness.

*wides tear*

Cooper

Upstairs has it's own free weight area plus a separate cardio area. Downstairs there are 2 full court basketball courts, 40 yards of turf for sled pulling and stuff, that incline hill you see, a dedicated deadlifting area with 4 pads, plus a hammer strength area and some machines. It's crazy. Oh, they also have a hair salon and an "age management doctor." Place is huge. I love the openness.

EDIT: Shit. Forgot the 2 racquetball courts.

No plans to join Planet Fitness anytime soon then?

CrankyJay

Banned
Fridays at the office suck...free pizza and wings every week.

Takes a massive amount of will power to grab my salad and high tail it the fuck out of the lunch room.

Hey, everyone. Just read through the entire OP, and am excited to get started on my weight-loss goal. Currently 6'4", and just weighed in at 265.2 lbs. Would like to work my way to getting down to 215 lbs.

Watching my diet big time, and also preparing to hit the excellent rec center at the local university (pool, track, machines, freeweights, etc.) four days a week.

Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of workout shoes for when I'm running the track/doing the elliptical/stairclimber/rowing machine? Also, am I best off wearing workout shorts or full-on sweats? T-shirt OK?

CrankyJay

Banned
Hey, everyone. Just read through the entire OP, and am excited to get started on my weight-loss goal. Currently 6'4", and just weighed in at 265.2 lbs. Would like to work my way to getting down to 215 lbs.

Watching my diet big time, and also preparing to hit the excellent rec center at the local university (pool, track, machines, freeweights, etc.) four days a week.

Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of workout shoes for when I'm running the track/doing the elliptical/stairclimber/rowing machine? Also, am I best off wearing workout shorts or full-on sweats? T-shirt OK?

i like windpants in the winter (and a hoody until I warm up), shorts in summer, always a loose fitting t-shirt. sneakers or running shoes are okay until you need specific work out shoes for lifts such as squats etc...

Kickz

Man I know diet is more important for results than just exercise.

But I feel like nothing like sore muscles from a tough workout on a previous day motivates you to eat clean. Its like I want to fuel myself properly so I do even better in my next work out. Feels awesome.

Cooter

Man I know diet is more important for results than just exercise.

But I feel like nothing like sore muscles from a tough workout on a previous day motivates you to eat clean. Its like I want to fuel myself properly so I do even better in my next work out. Feels awesome.
You've found the motivating cyclical relationship between food and exercise. That's it brother!

Dinjooh

On week 4 of SS now but I've come across a major hurdle - my knee hurts.

I can't do squats, deadlifts or power cleans without pain in the knee, so naturally - I stopped doing them, my problem is now that those exercises are what.. 60% of what SS consists of, so what am I supposed to do now?

I've been toying around with the various contraptions around the gym that seems to train my legs somehow, but I haven't a clue if they're worth my time, or if I should simply focus on my other lifts untill my knee is functioning properly again.

What do?

SeanR1221

I can't do squats, deadlifts or power cleans without pain in the knee, so naturally - I stopped doing them, my problem is now that those exercises are what.. 60% of what SS consists of, so what am I supposed to do now?

I've been toying around with the various contraptions around the gym that seems to train my legs somehow, but I haven't a clue if they're worth my time, or if I should simply focus on my other lifts untill my knee is functioning properly again.

What do?

Post videos of your lifts.

Dinjooh

Will be sure to film them next time, but to clarify:

The knee doesn't hurt because of the lifting, I have a 4 year old running injury that I still suffer from which comes back when I overload my knee heavily - which this time took around 3 weeks of lifting.

The knee doesn't hurt because of the lifting, I have a 4 year old running injury that I still suffer from which comes back when I overload my knee heavily - which this time took around 3 weeks of lifting.
What kind of injury is it?

Would RICE and NSAIDS help?

I'm going to have to read up on those, since I know neither - but according to my doctor it's inflammation caused by overuse (I'm translating his words literally here, might not make sense)
Sorry RICE is an acronym for rest ice compression and elevation. NSAIDS are medications like Advil or Aleve that reduce inflammation and relieve pain

SeanR1221

What have you done to help fix it?

Most guys start lifting to impress girls, once you get your body to where you'd never thought it'd get all you get is attention from guys.

At this point I'm lifting so I can eat ok with out getting fat again. I did a lot of calorie counting to drop 90 lbs, but sense I switched to lifting I feel like I am eating all the time. I'm not eating trash like I used to, but I am wondering how many boxes of plain cheerios and raisins I will eat before it starts showing up on the scale in a big way.

iddqd

I'm late to the dance but holy hell Cooter, super impressive.

Was that a specific goal or just a byproduct of getting strong?

I always thought high rep range is something that has to be trained different than high weight number.

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Eight Complete

I'd rate that as probably the third hardest thing I've ever done. On a normal day, any one of the three stages that I had to do would be enough to utterly wipe me out... I didn't even think all three was possible. Really proud of that.

At the very end of all three I even managed to break my all time thirty second power record. An hour and a half of HIIT... madness.

Revolver
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1591892-sufferfest-revolver

Violator
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1592266-sufferfest-violator

Half Is Easy
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1592549-sufferfest-half-is-easy

Our youngest Knight of Sufferlandria, Dame Alissa Schubert, was killed earlier this year when she was hit by a truck while out cycling. Revolver was her favourite video. We dedicate this stage, the hardest stage ever to feature in the ToS, in her memory. We also dedicate it to her parents who also became Knights of Sufferlandria with Alissa. A true Sufferlandrian’s stage.

One day to go. By comparison the last day should be easy.

Cooter

I'm late to the dance but holy hell Cooter, super impressive.

Was that a specific goal or just a byproduct of getting strong?

I always thought high rep range is something that has to be trained different than high weight number.
Thanks. Nope, just a byproduct of getting stronger. I rarely go over 10 reps in my training. The 225 til failure thing is just something I like to do from time to time. No rhyme or reason why.

Sadetar

Cooter, they need to start to create new words for you. Impressive just isn't enough. You are really getting everything out of that bulk. :p I needed to watch that video three times before I was able to concentrade to the background. Like people have said in here, that gym looks super awesome. I am totally jealous. The gym I go to is smaller than my apartment...

ILoveBish, I am really looking forward to see your progress pics! :D You have done awesome work!

Team Jones
, your legs are to die for! (I also remember your upper body to match them quite perfectly.) Looking ridiculously good.

I wouldn't worry about being in any sort of "fat burning" zone. In real terms it's meaningless unless you're able to spend hours on cardio. If you've got a limited time (as most of us do) you're best off doing it with as much as you can give because you'll end up burning just as many calories from fat at a higher heart rate as you would from a low heart rate. Simply because even though the percentage is lower, it's a lower percentage of a much bigger total.

Eg, 60% of 100kcal vs 40% of 150kcal.

Plus of course, once you get through your carb stores you start burning fat anyway.
So I would say try to be in that range for your Nordic walking (get a watch&strap or manually check) and then just use it as a gauge to make sure you're pushing hard enough (probably 160-180) for HIIT.
Psychotext, I kinda do around 4-5 hours of cardio per week mostly because of my back. It is not really a matter do I really have time for it but more like I make time for it since I hate infernal pain and agony and I try to (again) get rid of it.

But yeah, I think I just keep pushing myself at the gym while doing cardio and do lower intense when I am doing Nordic walking.

Lol. At least you got the body beyond of what you even imagined.

And come on, I am damn impressed...

The only people who truly appreciate your physique are other people who go to the gym.

Bless these gains.
Hahah, this might be true though. Before I honestly kinda just thought that the beast looking people were just jerks with really good genes (like Cooter... ;) )

Noema

That and Dinjooh probably needs to work on his mobility.

Stay away from isolation movements. Leg extensions in particular can be pretty rough on the knees. If you find you can do leg press without pain I guess it's okay if you do them for a bit until your knees heal. Focus on bench press, OHP and chinups for the time being. Try doing Romanian Deadlifts and see how they feel. You'll be fine. There's no rush.

When I started squatting I had pretty bad knee pain and I fixed it with mobility work. It took a while (like 6 months) for the pain to finally disappear completely but it paid off. I strongly recommend the book Bulletproof Knees as it helped me immensely.

I also had a previous injury when I started SS and had suffered from chronic knee pain for years. An orthopedist told me I'd have to live with the discomfort for the rest of my life but the pain dissapeared years ago when I got to about 225lb on the squat and it never came back. I can't warranty strength training will do the same for you but it's worth giving it a shot.

Cooter

Cooter, they need to start to create new words for you. Impressive just isn't enough. You are really getting everything out of that bulk. :p I needed to watch that video three times before I was able to concentrade to the background. Like people have said in here, that gym looks super awesome. I am totally jealous. The gym I go to is smaller than my apartment...

You are the ultimate pick me up. Thanks for the nice words.

Hahah, this might be true though. Before I honestly kinda just thought that the beast looking people were just jerks with really good genes (like Cooter... ;) )

Damn straight! These genes allow me to workout 35 minutes a week, tops. They're fantastic!

Greetings fitnessGAF!

At the start of my third year of college, I weighed 125 lbs (I'm 5'9"). In about February of that school year, I started a variation of rippetoe's starting strength routine. By May, I was 150 lbs and had increased my lifts significantly. Unfortunately, a few months later I was unknowingly onset with celiac's disease. No matter what I did, I couldn't gain weight and I had trouble eating a lot of food. Fast forward to May of last year and I finally got my positive celiac's diagnosis. The state of my intestines wasn't great and having to go on a strict gluten free diet messed me up fairly badly. I dropped back down to 125 lbs. (You can search this thread, I actually asked back in Aug last year if anyone knew anything about good gluten free diets).

I've since tried to return to the gym in bouts (usually one month at a time), but was unable to commit properly due to continued pains and such. Well, I finally went back to the gym two weeks ago and I'm happy to report that I'm gaining weight again! I can't express how good this feels. In two weeks I've gained 10 lbs back :) Not much but I hope I can get back to 150 lbs and my old lift numbers in a few months!

Just thought I would come post this here since it feels good finally.

Dinjooh

Stay away from isolation movements. Leg extensions in particular can be pretty rough on the knees. If you find you can do leg press without pain I guess it's okay if you do them for a bit until your knees heal. Focus on bench press, OHP and chinups for the time being. Try doing Romanian Deadlifts and see how they feel. You'll be fine. There's no rush.

When I started squatting I had pretty bad knee pain and I fixed it with mobility work. It took a while (like 6 months) for the pain to finally disappear completely but it paid off. I strongly recommend the book Bulletproof Knees as it helped me immensely.

I also had a previous injury when I started SS and had suffered from chronic knee pain for years. An orthopedist told me I'd have to live with the discomfort for the rest of my life but the pain dissapeared years ago when I got to about 225lb on the squat and it never came back. I can't warranty strength training will do the same for you but it's worth giving it a shot.

I appreciate all of the advice, and will look into leg press and Romanian deadlifts.

Can you elaborate on your mobility point? - I'm not entirely sure I'm getting it.

TTOOLL

I second this. I would always feel pain in my right knee when I ran, after like 3 weeks of squatting and lunges the pain disappeared. I can now run without any pain. It was clearly lack of muscle strength.

Chocobro

I appreciate all of the advice, and will look into leg press and Romanian deadlifts.

Can you elaborate on your mobility point? - I'm not entirely sure I'm getting it.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2014/08/chalk-talk-5/
70's Big said:
Knee pain is common in lifting, and it’s nearly 100% caused from a) poor mechanics and b) some sort of hip dysfunction. This Chalk Talk doesn’t get into lifting or movement mechanics, but instead addresses some palliative treatment and soft tissue work you can do to alleviate some of the pain.

Generally speaking, knee pain should tell you to work on hip mobility, especially with the rectus femoris. This muscle crosses both the hip and the knee, so if it’s tight, it’ll tug on it’s lower attachment near the knee (i.e. all of the quadriceps flow into a common tendon that attaches to the patella, which then attaches to the tibial tuberosity) and cause pain in the center of the knee, usually under the knee cap.

One thing we can do to try and alleviate tension is soft tissue work on the rectus femoris itself, and then on some of the other quad muscles.

Something you can look into.

Before when I had minor knee pain, it would go away temporarily after doing the pigeon stretch, so my problems come from the hips. It has become better lately after working on my hip mobility (with stretching and soft tissue work) and adding some SI joint pain exercises.

Noema, thanks for the recommendation. I just got the PDF for the book and hope to look into it even if I only get minor knee discomfort time to time.

J. Bravo

If I want to get rid of scar tissue where I broke my leg and in my ankles, what is the technique called for breaking it apart? And who would I best be served going to in order to have done or learning how to do it myself?

I've been working on able mobility and am closer to being able to squat flat footed like a baby, but I feel scar tissue is holding me back quite a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom