• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

I have been celebrating people's birthdays all week so I needed to postpone my gym and went there today.

Dumbbell bent-over row still creates discomfort on my back. Even the position itself creates nerve pain, even if I wouldn't be doing anything. I do it having my leg and arm on bench. Can anybody think of any other way that wouldn't be that bad for my back?

Also god bless Rippetoe and his book - yesterday I started to read that through (I should have read graduating thesis material). My squats today were oh so much better. I still have loads to read of SS book, but I do feel the difference already. I was also first time able to achieve proper depth. Ah, I can't wait to nail it properly. Why oh why I didn't read it earlier...

You are the ultimate pick me up. Thanks for the nice words.

Damn straight! These genes allow me to workout 35 minutes a week, tops. They're fantastic!
Hahah, well good that my words do at least some good. :p

And yeah. See, mine allows only like max 32 minutes.

Had to get a picture this time
Awesome that you did! I knew you were big, but I didn't realize you have become that huge! Love the photo too!

Inspired by the body idol thread, beards about there but now I need the muscles lol
Extremely sweet beard and pic in general of you. :p

---

GAAAH I hate being hurt!!!!

---
Join the club. I have had a herniated disk since 2012. I am starting to be quite bored with the damn thing already. There was couple really good months during autumn though. Now I just think that will I pay around 70 dollars more per month to have better pilater trainer that last time helped me to get rid of the pain or not. Ugh.

But yeah, rest if you must and just do as much as you can also keep positive mindset.

20g carbs. Goddamn you're letting yourself go. This is you in 1 month
Xjryz5u.gif

Honestly I was looking for an excuse to post that gif
Hahah, best reply. :D

Lol I wear long compression leggings to the gym for leg day. I wear a long enough shirt to cover my balls most of the time. I never feel like I'm getting a hey I see your junk stare. I get compliments most of the time on my legs when I wear them. I like it better, cause usually with everything else I have constant wedgies.
I do appreciate thight fitting pants when I am at the gym. I like the feeling that I know they aren't going to move around.

May I ask what brand are you using? I might buy compression leggings at some point and would like to know what people in here prefer. This far I have been loving my leg sleeves and shirt.

Mr.Mike

Not really a "fitness" question per se, but I figure the people here would know this sort of thing. Is there a proper form for snow shoveling?

RoeBear

I do appreciate thight fitting pants when I am at the gym. I like the feeling that I know they aren't going to move around.

May I ask what brand are you using? I might buy compression leggings at some point and would like to know what people in here prefer. This far I have been loving my leg sleeves and shirt.

I have 4 pairs of these. They have a dual layer on the crotch so I don't really have to wear underwear. These also have another lining under the initial one which is red. The red layer makes them look cool when you have em on cause it's not just a flat black color. They have cheaper ones but they aren't as thick.

LywDeFH.png

I have them in the blue, grey, red, and purple.

Low body: Tights, Regular shirt.
Upper body: Basketball Shorts, Regular shirt.

I have 4 pairs of these. They have a dual layer on the crotch so I don't really have to wear underwear. These also have another lining under the initial one which is red. The red layer makes them look cool when you have em on cause it's not just a flat black color. They have cheaper ones but they aren't as thick.

LywDeFH.png

Nice legs.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Dumbbell bent-over row still creates discomfort on my back. Even the position itself creates nerve pain, even if I wouldn't be doing anything. I do it having my leg and arm on bench. Can anybody think of any other way that wouldn't be that bad for my back?

Close grip cable rows? Just use the V-Grip attachment

Not really a "fitness" question per se, but I figure the people here would know this sort of thing. Is there a proper form for snow shoveling?

Bend at the knees and try to lift with your legs vs. Your upper back, lower back. Same concept for lifting boxes except the leverage is different.

Sadetar

LywDeFH.png

Those look damn good on you!
(Not to self, no underwear needed for Roe while wearing these.)

But...Hyperwarm? At least I am always dripping with sweat and wearing something that would be really warm would totally kill me at the gym. How do you manage to do that?

Low body: Tights, Regular shirt.
Upper body: Basketball Shorts, Regular shirt.
I am definitely going to use shorts during summer. I just need to hunt down some that I would actually like.

Close grip cable rows? Just use the V-Grip attachment
Oh my gods! I love you! You are awesome!

That is exactly what I am going to do. :D Do you prefer it seated or standing? I would rather do it standing if it is possible that way (and not too hard), since next to caple rows I don't remember seeing any benches.

Just put in my weight plate order. Should be interesting to see how the delivery guys handle them.

Sometimes they hand them to me like they're nothing and I nearly fall flat on my face. Other times they look like they're really struggling, but the boxes weigh much less than expected. :)

But...Hyperwarm? At least I am always dripping with sweat and wearing something that would be really warm would totally kill me at the gym. How do you manage to do that?

Might just be me, but I rarely find that having lined / thermal stuff on my legs causes me to overheat. Anything heavy on my top half destroys me though.

There is a hypercool version just in case though. :)

RoeBear

Might just be me, but I rarely find that having lined / thermal stuff on my legs causes me to overheat. Anything heavy on my top half destroys me though.

I am the same way. Nothing effects me on the bottom whether it's being cold or hot. My top half is a different story. I just prefer the hyperwarm stuff as they feel like they have a higher quality.

Szu

LywDeFH.png

You practically going commando.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Those look damn good on you!
(Not to self, no underwear needed for Roe while wearing these.)

I am definitely going to use shorts during summer. I just need to hunt down some that I would actually like.

Oh my gods! I love you! You are awesome!

That is exactly what I am going to do. :D Do you prefer it seated or standing? I would rather do it standing if it is possible that way (and not too hard), since next to caple rows I don't remember seeing any benches.

Sitting is easier and the typical setup. Standing, I would imagine, would require an awkward setup. If you're back is bothering you the seated version should help with this.

Zukuu

Banned
I combine pants and shorts and just wear 3/4 shorts. :3

Btw:
I need new gloves, possibly with straps. Any recommendations?

Sup, fitgaf. Longtime lurker here looking for deadlift advice. I have only been deadlifting for two months and now that the weight is getting heavier my form is getting worse and worse. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Narrow stance, arms straight down
Get my shoulders and back tight
Pull the slack out of the bar, drive through the heels, and pull myself back.

And here's what that looks like with 220: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc8PlZgCqYc

Any advice?

Was just trying to work out a good way of raising a barbell off the ground (without a power rack) and I realise that I already own pretty much the perfect things for the job.

HcRo5rW.jpg

Only ever used them once for their intended job (they're car axle stands), so it'll be nice to make some further use out of them. :D

theytookourjobz

Sup, fitgaf. Longtime lurker here looking for deadlift advice. I have only been deadlifting for two months and now that the weight is getting heavier my form is getting worse and worse. Here's what I'm trying to do:

And here's what that looks like with 220: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc8PlZgCqYc

Any advice?

There's some other technicians around here that can prob help with a couple minor things but it looks better than fine to me. As far as your first statement goes, everyone's form starts to break down when the weights get heavy enough. That's when it's time to get stronger and two months of deadlifting is a drop in the strength bucket.

Faiz

Was just trying to work out a good way of raising a barbell off the ground (without a power rack) and I realise that I already own pretty much the perfect things for the job.

HcRo5rW.jpg

Only ever used them once for their intended job (they're car axle stands), so it'll be nice to make some further use out of them. :D

For loading? Best IMO is to roll the first plate on the bar up onto a iron 10lb plate. No need to lift the bar onto stands an gives plenty of space to load standard diameter plates onto the bar.

keezy

HcRo5rW.jpg

Have you ever seen one of these?

bar-jack-2_1.jpg

No, for lifting from height whilst my garage (and thus power rack) is out of action. Rack pulls I believe they're called?

Tried bricks, weight rolled off them. Bad times.

Faiz

No, for lifting from height whilst my garage (and thus power rack) is out of action. Rack pulls I believe they're called?

Tried bricks, weight rolled off them. Bad times.

Aaaah. Not sure if try rack pulls with those stands then, either. That's a fairly small target to hit when putting the bar back down.

BumRush

Any advice?

Facetime, your form isn't awful at all. You're too "stiff-legged" though, especially on the way down (do you feel a ton of tension in your hamstrings?). Also, if grip is an issue, consider wrapping or switching to mixed grip (although this won't improve grip long term, just act as a short term fix).

I wear the same style of clothing at the gym every day, cold or hot. Shirt, shorts, done. I don't think gym attire means anything, as long as you feel comfortable. Shoes are probably more important.

The only changes I make are tanktops when I'm feeling good, and a hoodie when I feel like shit. The weather doesn't effect me at all.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I wear the same style of clothing at the gym every day, cold or hot. Shirt, shorts, done. I don't think gym attire means anything, as long as you feel comfortable. Shoes are probably more important.

The only changes I make are tanktops when I'm feeling good, and a hoodie when I feel like shit. The weather doesn't effect me at all.
Probably because you're insulated by your outrageous amount of muscle you don't even feel cold. Us skinny guys have to cover up when it hits 10-20 degrees.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I can finally deadlift more than my bodyweight. Small achievement, but it feels good.

Probably because you're insulated by your outrageous amount of muscle you don't even feel cold. Us skinny guys have to cover up when it hits 10-20 degrees.
You're as big as me!!!! If I outweigh you, it's fat, lol.

I'm crazy about the gym though. I always walk, never drive, very rarely bike. Even if it's a blizzard outside. I dress for the weather, but always change into shorts when I get there.

Cooter

I'm crazy about the gym though. I always walk, never drive, very rarely bike. Even if it's a blizzard outside. I dress for the weather, but always change into shorts when I get there.
Clearly I must look bigger than I am in pictures if you think we are of equal size. That or the body dismorphia is strong with you my son.

Always walk? How far is your gym?

MrMuscle

Never been a big bencher and ive started doing them with stop at the bottom just to build more power. Also focused more on "bending the bar" and today i got 5 reps on 100kg at around RPE 8 (BW 90kg), which felt awesome. Im not expecting any huge numbers, but its fun when you feel a technique starting to take hold.

Training the way i train now i hit chest with one exercise each day.

Day 1: Benchpress 3 sets, 3-5 reps, RPE 8.
Day 2: Weighted push ups with elevated legs, 3 sets, 9-12 reps, RPE 9
Day 3: Pec dec flyes 2 sets, MyoReps 20-25+3x

Then start over on day 1 again. Feels great so far, strength is up and no joint or muscle pains.

J. Bravo

I think you're legit the biggest person in this thread.

RoeBear

Looking great MrMuscle!

Also, Spiritreaver you're big buddy. Don't you usually sit around 200-210? Cooter bulking is around 190-200 iirc.

Decided on a show. July 4th, so I'm 22 weeks out right now. At 20 weeks going to cut calories to 3500. Then at 16 weeks probably start adding cardio etc.

TTOOLL

Funny thing, when I do bench dips I feel my triceps much more than when I do bar dips. I feel my chest more doing the latter....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watch WWE Monday Night Raw tonight to see FallingEdge - he will be in a shirt that says RED INK and he's facing the camera side. Should be easy to pick him out - he'll be a lot bigger than everyone else.

Cooter

Looking great MrMuscle!

Also, Spiritreaver you're big buddy. Don't you usually sit around 200-210? Cooter bulking is around 190-200 iirc.

Decided on a show. July 4th, so I'm 22 weeks out right now. At 20 weeks going to cut calories to 3500. Then at 16 weeks probably start adding cardio etc.

I'm pushing 210 at the moment but I'm easily 16+ percent. Darth, oops, SR is 12% or lower right now at 200 pounds. He's much bigger than me. I think he was just being modest. The guy is huge.

Good luck on the show. What weight do you plan on being when the time comes?

I see these lifting plans that have like 3 or 4 workouts and people seem to love them. I built my own slowly over time and it's mostly influenced by the fact that I have just one set of dumbbells. I go to a gym now, but I do exercises that either mimic these movements or on a bench when I'm there.

Am I doing too much or too little? It's a circuit when I do it at home hence the 4 sets.

One Arm Dumbbell Row
Each arm 10 reps and 4 sets

Dumbbell Shrugs
10x4

Wide Arm Pushups
10x4

Dumbbell Flyes
10x4

Military Press
10x4

Dumbbell Bicep Curl

Bent over lateral raise
8x4

Dumbbell 2-Arm Triceps Extension
10x4

My legs days are much quicker so I don't think I've added too many to that. Anywhere I can use a different exercise that will combine two of these work outs?

SeanR1221

I see these lifting plans that have like 3 or 4 workouts and people seem to love them. I built my own slowly over time and it's mostly influenced by the fact that I have just one set of dumbbells. I go to a gym now, but I do exercises that either mimic these movements or on a bench when I'm there.

Am I doing too much or too little? It's a circuit when I do it at home hence the 4 sets.

One Arm Dumbbell Row

Dumbbell Shrugs
10x4

Wide Arm Pushups
10x4

Dumbbell Flyes
10x4

Military Press
10x4

Dumbbell Bicep Curl

Bent over lateral raise
8x4

Dumbbell 2-Arm Triceps Extension
10x4

My legs days are much quicker so I don't think I've added too many to that. Anywhere I can use a different exercise that will combine two of these work outs?

Whats your goal

hahaha good to know! I don't which one I should do, I think I'll mix them.

I don't like bench dips, I feel like they put extra strain on your shoulders as your forcing them out of their natural position. That plus triceps are such an easy exercise to work so if I can work my chest at the same time I'll jump at the chance. Plus when you can add weighted dips as you get Stronger. In the end though I just enjoy them more so I go with that.

RoeBear

I'm pushing 210 at the moment but I'm easily 16+ percent. Darth, oops, SR is 12% or lower right now at 200 pounds. He's much bigger than me. I think he was just being modest. The guy is huge.

Good luck on the show. What weight do you plan on being when the time comes?
Hopefully somewhere around 180. It'll be the least I've weighed in years.

Sadetar

I am the same way. Nothing effects me on the bottom whether it's being cold or hot. My top half is a different story. I just prefer the hyperwarm stuff as they feel like they have a higher quality.

I think I just might be over sensitive to the heat. After I bought the calf sleeves I had to buy capris to work out since I was dying at the gym. I couldn't even think of working out in thermal clothes.

Hypercool versions sound so much more like my thing. :p I need to check them out and see do they have them around in here so I could try them out. :D

Sitting is easier and the typical setup. Standing, I would imagine, would require an awkward setup. If you're back is bothering you the seated version should help with this.
Thank you again! Yeah, I am just going to drag a bench from other room to there and have that haters gonna hate mentality. :p

I just wanna add. I lost a pound (136 lbs total now) and still hit a new Deadlift PR of 225
Awesome work, well done!

Seriously, I have always imagined Norwegians are the beasts of Nordic countries. You aren't really helping me to get rid of my stereotypes at all. I am now expecting everyone to look like you, if I ever find myself in there. :p

Someone be sure to get him on a gif. :)
My thoughts exactly! Someone needs to do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom