• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eklipsis

Looking at the 5/3/1 program it talks about accessory lifts and under the boring but big section it says do 5 sets of 5-10reps but it doesn't say at what percent of 1rm. Would I be right in assuming its at 65%?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Looking at the 5/3/1 program it talks about accessory lifts and under the boring but big section it says do 5 sets of 5-10reps but it doesn't say at what percent of 1rm. Would I be right in assuming its at 65%?

Here's Wendlers blog post on it

http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/

You could jump to a higher percentage weight but he recommends easing in. Starting, maybe, at 45% your first cycle and progressively going higher each cycle. Seems to recommend 60% in general for BBB accessory lifts max. It will kick your ass though at 60%, especially with squats, and deadlifts.

TTOOLL

You look almost on a 5/3/1 schedule compound lifts that you've listed work the bulk of your muscles it's the accessory work that fine tunes what you build, pullups and dips should be in everyone's workout though.

I looked into the 5/3/1 schedule and like this one:

"Body weight"

Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1
Chins - 5xF
Dips - 5xF

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Glute Ham Raises - 5xF
Leg Raises - 5xF

Day 3
Benchpress - 5/3/1
Chins - 5xF
Pushups - 5xF

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
One Legged Squat - 5xF
Sit-ups - 5xF

What do you think? No pullups tho.

Szu

Well, I got to play PT for a day. There is a guy who is in pretty good shape, but he's will in to learn new workouts and improve on his current routines.

Well, he caught me near the end of my workout. I was doing some stretches. He asked me if I could recommend some good core ab workouts.

Because of his level, I was suggesting some intermediate and advanced routines such as planks and hanging leg raises.

He wanted to go full Asian and asked me to teach how to do Dragon Flags.

I tried my best to explain how I worked my way into them. But there quite a bit of stuff involved to doing them.

In the end, he got a feel for them. He said he'll try to progress through it when he can.

Thought you guys would enjoy this little gem from the Planet Fitness thread.

heythestereotypicaleuphoricfedorawearingneckbeard_1b2ee247dc436cc0bedcc753127d1de8.jpg

"I always put down the weight respectfully"

Banglish

No problem man. Just remember it doesn't come easy or quick. 5 pounds is a great short term goal but give yourself 4-5 months minimum to obtain it...you're a skinny dude.

Should I be eating 20% over my tdee every day or should it be split between rest and lifting days? Like 0 or +10 on rest and then 20 on lift days. There was another one like -10 on rest and +30 on lifting days. Not sure if I need to be doing IF.

SeanR1221

I looked into the 5/3/1 schedule and like this one:

"Body weight"

Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1
Chins - 5xF
Dips - 5xF

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Glute Ham Raises - 5xF
Leg Raises - 5xF

Day 3
Benchpress - 5/3/1
Chins - 5xF
Pushups - 5xF

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
One Legged Squat - 5xF
Sit-ups - 5xF

What do you think? No pullups tho.

That seems fine just make sure you read all of 5/3/1 so you understand the program. I also say skip the deload week until your body feels like it needs it. Taking off that many weeks in a year isn't a great idea IMO

I gave the gymrat method of curling dumbbells a go earlier.

I suspect 60lbs is too much for me with clean form, but damn it I'm counting every single "swinging entire body to get it up" rep.

/leans forward
/snaps back and flails arm

frontieruk

That seems fine just make sure you read all of 5/3/1 so you understand the program. I also say skip the deload week until your body feels like it needs it. Taking off that many weeks in a year isn't a great idea IMO

I ended up on a two week deload :( over did the last set of ohp and ran myself so down I ended up with tonsillitis :( I've lost a stone, and won't be in any condition to go back next week.

GrapeApes

If anyone's been in the market for a flat shoe, I kept hearing things about the Reebok Crossfit Lites (Steve actually recommended these to me)

http://m.reebok.com/us/reebok-crossfit-lite-tr/M43422.html

Use the code Extra30 to get 30% off. So it's 50.00 shipped.

Not bad at all.

Brandon Campbell recommends those over Chucks. I just can't get past the CrossFit logo. I'd feel like I'm committing a sin wearing those. Maybe just invest in a real heavy permanent maker.

TTOOLL

Here's Wendlers blog post on it

http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/

You could jump to a higher percentage weight but he recommends easing in. Starting, maybe, at 45% your first cycle and progressively going higher each cycle. Seems to recommend 60% in general for BBB accessory lifts max. It will kick your ass though at 60%, especially with squats, and deadlifts.

This BBB looks nice but it seems long with those 5x10, right? Now I don't know if I do the BBB alternative or the "Body Weight one"...

Thanks, Sean. I read a lot about it and did the math already. I'll start planning it today so I can start next week.

SeanR1221

This BBB looks nice but it seems long with those 5x10, right? Now I don't know if I do the BBB alternative or the "Body Weight one"...

Thanks, Sean. I read a lot about it and did the math already. I'll start planning it today so I can start next week.

Don't read a lot about it, read the actual book.

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Seven Complete

:(

Just about managed to get through it, but it wasn't pretty. Form all over the place, and my right knee is starting to get a bit grindy. Extremely difficult to stay with it. Will do all I can to complete tomorrows stages, but I'm going to have to put the required power output down as no way I can do them at the power I've been using for first seven days.

The Rookie
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1584646-sufferfest-the-rookie

It has been your performance in past Tours of Sufferlandria that captured the attention of the world’s best professional cycling teams. Today is the day you show them you deserve all the attention over the course of three very difficult sections.

Two days to go. Tomorrow is the hardest day of the tour by far and in commemoration of a rider who was killed by a truck earlier this year.

Edit - Oh, to put tomorrow into a context that most here can understand. It's about an hour an a half of extreme HIIT, with another 45 mins of low intensity steady state for "rest".

SeanR1221

You know I don't live in the US, right? It would take some time to get the book in my hands and I have to start next Monday...

I found this summary useful.

Find a pdf you can buy. That's what I did.

Here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJ8CIQM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Read the book.

Will probably suck it up and buy these at a later day. Gonna wait till the they go on clearance though. I'm sure it will be a while. Still waiting for the Romaleos or Adipowers to get sub 100.

I dunno how much cheaper you'll get than 50.00 shipped to be honest.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This BBB looks nice but it seems long with those 5x10, right? Now I don't know if I do the BBB alternative or the "Body Weight one"....

Depends on your wants and needs. BBB is good because you're doing hyertrophic geared sets with compound lifts so it helps take the place of more isolating movements. It can be faster since you can essentially go in and do your one main life and 5x10 of the same movement.

I personally do BBB,

Leg day = leg compound, planks, stomach vacuums, glute bridges
Upper Body = upper body compound, pull down, rows, and a tricep movement. I'll also throw in bicep since they're not that intensive.

I finally got the last of the form check videos recorded. I'll be uploading them and showing off my amazing
ly horrible
form later.

Sadetar

My muscles are really hurting and trying to assasinate me. I went to gym on Thuesday and Wednesday was fine, but today I am really feeling it. I added a bit of weight to squats so I assume this is normal...

EDIT: Also last time I was at the gym I realizes that the crosstrainer is calculating heartrate all the time too. I do around 30 minutes work out on it every time I visit the gym and it showed around 155-160 constantly. What it should be, if I am intended to burn fat? I am 29 at the moment, if that is important. I have no idea about these kind of things so if someone can tell me do I need to go faster or slow down, that would be great. :)

Edit: Never mind.
Hey, I read your message after my reply but was too tired to write you back.

Good for you to be honest. Even after Christmas you are 10 pounds smaller than around half a year ago. I am also sure your body composition is better and also your arms looks leaner. You are just so near to your goal weight that it will get harder and harder to lose fat. We are in the same boat though - I need to lose around the same amount as you.

Just stick to your work outs and eat around 1400 calories a day and you will be golden. Stay strong!

...He wanted to go full Asian and asked me to teach how to do Dragon Flags...
I always appreciate your choice of words! :D

You will have your own little Asian army in no time. :p

Zoe

EDIT: Also last time I was at the gym I realizes that the crosstrainer is calculating heartrate all the time too. I do around 30 minutes work out on it every time I visit the gym and it showed around 155-160 constantly. What it should be, if I am intended to burn fat? I am 29 at the moment, if that is important. I have no idea about these kind of things so if someone can tell me do I need to go faster or slow down, that would be great. :)

It should be around 120-140 for the fat burning range. Though I would say the kind of cardio is more important--HIIT or LISS.

Well, that's interesting.

After a brief period of absence from the gym due to illness I managed to hit a new PR atempt on the deadlift: 1x1x155 Kg - breaching my previous PR of 1x1x152,5 back in December 2014. Thought I had lost some strength which turned out to be the contrary.
Getting closer to 160 Kg!

Sadetar

It should be around 120-140 for the fat burning range. Though I would say the kind of cardio is more important--HIIT or LISS.
Thank you for this. :) I might need to go a bit slower then, if I want it to be that low.

I need to add that that isn't of course all that includes to my weekly cardio. On top of that I do Nordic walking around 3-4 hours a week, so that should count as LISS I suppose. I also do HIIT once a week. I don't know does it help at all, but I am totally dead after it even if the time is remarkably shorter then (5-10 minutes). Last time I did HIIT I had no idea about the heartbeat thingie on the machine though so I don't know how high it is during it.

I wouldn't worry about being in any sort of "fat burning" zone. In real terms it's meaningless unless you're able to spend hours on cardio. If you've got a limited time (as most of us do) you're best off doing it with as much as you can give because you'll end up burning just as many calories from fat at a higher heart rate as you would from a low heart rate. Simply because even though the percentage is lower, it's a lower percentage of a much bigger total.

Eg, 60% of 100kcal vs 40% of 150kcal.

Plus of course, once you get through your carb stores you start burning fat anyway.

Zoe

Thank you for this. :) I might need to go a bit slower then, if I want it to be that low.

I need to add that that isn't of course all that includes to my weekly cardio. On top of that I do Nordic walking around 3-4 hours a week, so that should count as LISS I suppose. I also do HIIT once a week. I don't know does it help at all, but I am totally dead after it even if the time is remarkably shorter then (5-10 minutes). Last time I did HIIT I had no idea about the heartbeat thingie on the machine though so I don't know how high it is during it.

So I would say try to be in that range for your Nordic walking (get a watch&strap or manually check) and then just use it as a gauge to make sure you're pushing hard enough (probably 160-180) for HIIT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I hit 242.5lbs as of this morning. Officially at 95lbs lost. Next 5 and i hit the 100 mark. Nothing stops this train.

Pre-congratulations brother. That next 5 will be gone before you know it. Easy shit. You're the man.

Most guys start lifting to impress girls, once you get your body to where you'd never thought it'd get all you get is attention from guys.

Hey what protein do you take

Most guys start lifting to impress girls, once you get your body to where you'd never thought it'd get all you get is attention from guys.

Hey what protein do you take

The only people who truly appreciate your physique are other people who go to the gym.

Bless these gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom