• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

theytookourjobz

I just joined a David Lloyd fitness place and I go to the gym 4/5 times a week - I'm not doing every day yet because it's my first time at a gym and I don't want to hurt anything.

I cycle there and back which is 3 miles on some old ass bike by some windy fields, then mix some upper body resistance with rowing and leg press. I do 3x15 100kg on leg press, and the others are 3x15 at about 30kg but I can't remember what they're called so whatever.

Rowing is a lot of fun, and I'm sure I've got the correct technique. I do about 2k in 8 minutes, or 3k in 15 depending on how I'm feeling. It's about the same as some other dude who seems to know what he's doing. My only concern is that my back isn't completely straight.

I'm 6'2" and just under 100Kg, and I've basically never exercised properly before, but I've got a naturally large upper frame so I think I might be able to make some decent progress this year.

I don't have a target, I just want to move some weight away from my thighs and waistline to my chest so that I can buy clothes more easily. Also I'd like to be able to run a couple of miles without dying one day. That would be nice.

My diet is reasonable, but I only have 2,000 calories a day. I'll have either egg/toast or muesli for breakfast, apples/bananas throughout the day, then for dinner I'll just cook some chicken or mince and make something around that with rice or whatever. It's not super healthy, but it's not bad... hopefully? I never have fast food, ready meals, soft drinks, crisps, chocolate... just a little choc ice after dinner :D

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. Are there any easy things I can do that make a big difference, like eating certain foods before/after workouts, and on off-days?

Probably cut back on some of the carbs (that's a lot of fruit) on non workout days. And yeah eat more protein and fat.

SeanR1221

Nah. That happened 5 or 6 years ago. I sat on my ass and played Persona 3.

Ah ok.

The most info I can find is from the BB.com forum (barf)

Some guys had to go under the knife 3 times because they pushed it before recovery was over.

I don't mind waiting, I'm just wondering how to ease back into it. I'd hate going by "feel" and my surgeon won't be any help when he's already said "lifting heavy weights isn't healthy for you anyway"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ah ok.

The most info I can find is from the BB.com forum (barf)

Some guys had to go under the knife 3 times because they pushed it before recovery was over.

I don't mind waiting, I'm just wondering how to ease back into it. I'd hate going by "feel" and my surgeon won't be any help when he's already said "lifting heavy weights isn't healthy for you anyway"

You should play Persona 4 to continue the appendix tradition!

Bowser

My one weakness in bar form:

Chocolove-Dark-Chocolate-Bar-with-Almonds-and-Sea-Salt-716270001554.jpg

5zvrU.png

Ugh, coming back after staying out of the gym for almost a month or so suuuuuucks. Went back to four sets of 10 with 40s on the bench. :/

Eh, what can you do. -_-

So if you use Subscribe & Save on Amazon, you can get the PB&J Quest Bars for $19.99 if you have a subscription to 4 other things. That's $1.67 a bar.

But it's only the PB&J flavor, who knows why. All the other flavors are not available for subscription.

Leeness

Ok, I am still alive and so forth. It was just a midsummer and I was hanging around with my friends. Didn't drink any alcohol, ate clean (even though a bit more than I do on a regular day) and went to those absolutely wild Nordic walks. With all honesty they make me feel like a total retard. I miss jogging already. This just feels so pointless and like I wouldn't be doing any sports at all - just walking around.

Oh well, I guess it could be worse. At least I like the area where I live. I can see this lake from my windows and from my balcony. I generally walk around it now. That photo has been taken a bit after midnight (I have been having night walks since I have been having days off from work).
lake.jpg

Well, I have been whining about it for ages now so it isn't just one post but a series of posts. But well, long story short I started to have horrid back pain that reflected to both of my legs on September 2012. I went to see a physiotherapist and a bunch of doctors. I followed everything that they said that I need to do and started walking little trips of 10 minutes (even those were pure pain) and doing core muscle training every day. After couple months we changed core muscle training to every other day. I started jogging on April/May 2013 and on August I started pilates.

Again on September my back decided it doesn't love me anymore and I needed to stop everything expect the little walks and basic core muscle training for couple months. Early this year I could start to do things a bit more and went back to jogging and pilates. I was still in agony and ate tons of painkillers every damn day. 11th of March was my first day at the gym. I went there with my physiotherapist who had done me a training programm. I started to do jogging twice a week, went to gym twice a week and pilates once a week. Quite soon I could quit eating pain killers and now I haven't taken any for nearly two months. The back still hurts and reflects the pain and the last couple months the back of my left leg has gone totally numb around 10 times a day.

I knew this couldn't continue so I went to CT scanning and I was ready to continue to take MRI. Booked a time with the leading orthopedic professor and we went basicly everything through within about 45 minutes. He made me do tons of things and also actually went my back through with his hands inch by inch. According to him there is one desk that is lowered, but it isn't the main reason causing the troubles. There is just basicly a really badly pinched nerve and because my back tries to un-pinch it it has slighty curved my spine. All this has made all my back muscles extremely tense that I have lost quite much of my flexibility. So now I need to relax the muscles, not do anything to annoy the pinched nerve and build my front core muscles to enough support the back to relief the tension.

So yes, no jogging but those Nordic walks. I am also seeing a physiotherapist to do me a new core muscle training programm after like 1,5 weeks. I am slightly annoyed that I can't do couple things that I really enjoyed doing, but then again I would be willing to do basicly anything to make the pain go away

Oh, your back :( my sister has scoliosis so she knows what's up. You have to take it easy and just be careful. It sucks to be limited but at least you'll get better enough to do what you hopefully want :)

I actually tried to get into some water aerobic classes but they don't arrange any on the times when I wouldn't be at work. I normally get out around 18.15 / 6.15 pm.

What comes to other exercises I will wait till I see my work physiotherapist and follow what ever he is giving me based on the orthopedic doctor's evaluation. I am not really planning to do anything they don't say that suits me and that they don't recommend for me at this point. I am going to be utterly boring and stick to what ever they will say and see where will that take me. I already got couple core muscle training movements from the doc.

My motivation at the moment isn't as high as it could be, but like said, I will do and stick with what ever they have in their mind even if I wouldn't fully agree with it or enjoy it. I just hope to get over this and do what I want.

This is true. I think the water aerobics classes here are at like 5:00 am lol. I never go but my sister used to and she was always up and back by like 6:30.

I think you're doing the right thing, even if you're doing less right now, you're contributing to your overall health and well being :) and your back will heal with time.

Hoooooraaaaaayyyyyy! Well done sweetie pie!

Like said before, just stick to it and gainz will float to your direction. You have done absolutely marvellous job this far when sticking with it when the times has been hard.

Attagirl! I am very proud of you! ^_^

:D

Got my 40 kickbox cardio in this morning. I didn't want to do my weight circuit twice in a row because I'm starting to go deeper with lunges and it starts to hurt like heck the next day haha. Work it out with cardio, strength tomorrow.

Imm0rt4l

Nice to be back to doing skwats. Easing my way back in with lighter weight. really hoping I can get re-acclimated to my normal work capacity. 300lbs is a lot more heavier than I remember it being....I can only take solace in knowing that I'm training without a belt for now.....also neuro muscular adaptation ensures I will reclaim my gains. I'm optimistic, and if all goes well this summer, I'll try and do a powerlifting meet in the fall.

Welp, just got asked in the gym again about where to find steroids. Guess I can start feeling good about my summer cut now.

Also I have this weird problem. I sweat a ton, like more than anyone I know, but the thing is I sweat everywhere BUT my nipples. So it leaves dry spots around my nipples amidst a sea of sweat. It's so weird.

Also I have this weird problem. I sweat a ton, like more than anyone I know, but the thing is I sweat everywhere BUT my nipples. So it leaves dry spots around my nipples amidst a sea of sweat. It's so weird.

I sweat from my forehead and pretty much no-where else. It's horrible, it literally pours off me.

Problem is, it also means I overheat REALLY quickly.

I sweat from my forehead and pretty much no-where else. It's horrible, it literally pours off me.

Ugh same here. Even just 5 minutes into a workout I am constantly wiping dripping sweat from my brow and overheat quickly too. It's part of why I take such long rest periods and can't stand being outside in the heat for very long.

Sadetar

Oh, your back :( my sister has scoliosis so she knows what's up. You have to take it easy and just be careful. It sucks to be limited but at least you'll get better enough to do what you hopefully want :)

This is true. I think the water aerobics classes here are at like 5:00 am lol. I never go but my sister used to and she was always up and back by like 6:30.

I think you're doing the right thing, even if you're doing less right now, you're contributing to your overall health and well being :) and your back will heal with time.

:D

Got my 40 kickbox cardio in this morning. I didn't want to do my weight circuit twice in a row because I'm starting to go deeper with lunges and it starts to hurt like heck the next day haha. Work it out with cardio, strength tomorrow.
Yep, I can't wait for my back to get better. The silly part is I used to hate working out, but needed to start doing at least something to make my back eventually better. Nowadays I am so used to working out around 5 days a week that it feels totally odd if I suddenly can't do something I was planned on doing. I guess it has somewhat grown into me. I have hard time imagining I would stop training anymore.

You are also right what comes to those water aerobics classes - and I am not a morning person at all, more of a night owl.

I am very happy to hear that your work outs has been succesfull. Just keep up the good work and keep us updated with those adorable shots of yourself. ^_^

Welp, just got asked in the gym again about where to find steroids. Guess I can start feeling good about my summer cut now.
I am sure you are reaching another level of being a sexy beast.
Can wee see any photos of that awesome summer cut of yours? Pretty please.

Imagine the situation where you would sweat only from your nipples - you need to agree that the current situation is oh so much better. :p

I sweat like a pig as well though. 5 minutes warm up and I am soaked. I don't understand how some females can wear make up to the gym since at least I am drying my whole face with a towel constantly. If I would use any make up I would just look like a sad panda really soon.

Imm0rt4l

You have arrived.

strange problem to have. I sweat a ton too, I'm thinking about buying skullcaps in bulk to have for especially tough sessions.

This is me too.

sphinx

the piano man
Darth, have you tried wearing compression shirts? you are probably too big for them but mine take all the sweat very fast and keep my dry, I don't know how but they do.

after a pump and with that size, you will probably need help to take it off :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
For all the head sweating fit bros:

I can't imagine how anyone can exercise without these, especially cardio. It keeps the sweat off your forehead, only place you have to wipe is under your eyes. It breathes as well so it doesn't feel hot.

Then, a question. Best ways to get to solid upper back tightness in my deadlifts?

I am thinking of going way down in deadlift weight to keep my upper back completely straight. I seem to have really a weak upper back from years in the office, bad posture, forwards shoulders and all that. I got a Salli saddle chair to our design studio already, I can feel it helping. It's definitely not a flexibility issue, I can keep my upper back straight with very (very!) low weight.

Farmers walks? Face pulls?

Fuzzery

So this guy is apparently a champion arm wrestler in Brazil for his weight class. You'll have to skip around through the video because it's kind of long, but safe to say his training method is a bit...unorthodox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVxtES1I4Ro

Check out 7:15, for example.

Rofl this guy is awesome

Machines are meant for isolation exercises, but he's doing them "wrong" and making them full body exercises to train his kinetic chain to fire all at once, and using torque and body weight to aid his pulls, which I guess is what you need in competition

If there's no major lift that simulates that motion, you make do I suppose

Can't hate

GrapeApes

Welp, just got asked in the gym again about where to find steroids..

Can't wait till someone in the gym asks me that. I've had like classmates ask me if I was using roids before but obviously they don't lift. If I was actually using I would have asked for my money back.

Can't wait till someone in the gym asks me that. I've had like classmates ask me if I was using roids before but obviously they don't lift. If I was actually using I would have asked for my money back.
It was pretty funny moment. He was so nervous asking me. He's foreign and a small guy. I just laughed and was like, sorry I don't use and then he gives me the whole "I know it's illegal and all, but just want to know where to get some."

I straight up said, I know next to nothing about the stuff. If I could help him I would as I have no issue with people using. However if I could give some advice, it's that you don't need them to make a lot of gains.

I tooted my on horn a bit and said that I got this far without them.

FWIW the last bit was silly and unnecessary, but it really pains me to see people just starting out in the gym already thinking of using. Just silly.

sphinx, thanks for the heads up. I've been terrified of compression shirts since I first saw one. I'll see what I can do, but I think I might end up getting trapped inside one.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What's a really good squat/deadlift belt that I can purchase from Amazon? On the affordable side, too.

Nelo Ice

Banned
What are some good assistance exercises? I'm kinda doing a routine that's like greyskull/SS but increasing the weight per week. It's working so far since my deadlift has shot up like crazy but I'm still working my way back up for the other 3 compounds.

So fitgaf my lady started gym with me this week I had her do these yesterday to get her used to the movements, can I get some more pointers

Dumbell lunges 5x10
kettlebell Squats 3x10
Leg press 3x8
dumbell OHP 2X8
assisted pullups 2x10
tricep pulldowns 3X10
leg raises 3x10

she used to sprint in high school so she has a good base to work with

Zoe

So fitgaf my lady started gym with me this week I had her do these yesterday to get her used to the movements, can I get some more pointers

Dumbell lunges 5x10
kettlebell Squats 3x10
Leg press 3x8
dumbell OHP 2X8
assisted pullups 2x10
tricep pulldowns 3X10
leg raises 3x10

she used to sprint in high school so she has a good base to work with

Where's the chest?

Change it how? What is it now? What is your goal, what do you want to have happen to your body?
Its junk now. I've lost 45 pounds in the past year, which is cool. Now I want to get stronger, because iveI've lost plenty of it.

I know the workout routine I read the OP but the diet for gaining weight is foreign to me. Teach me your ways Sunflower, how do you eat so many calories in one day to reach these macros? What are the good carbs and what are the bad ones? Protein supplement before or after workouts does it matter? What foods should I gravitate towards and which ones should I avoid?

I'm a small direct less child here in need of assistance, brotha

Heysoos

Seeing as how the conversation relates to sweat, I finally found my favorite compression shirt. I used to love the Under Armor HeatGear compression shirts, but recently the new line of HeatGear Sonic compression shirts really let me down. It fits tight-ish, but it doesn't really compress the way it used to. If that makes any sense. I tried the Walmart ones, Starter Dri Star Compression, and they actually worked decently but they got discontinued it seems. But for the price they were great. Then I tried the BCG Compression shirts, but they suffered the same problem as the UA ones, just with better prices. Then I found these:

Sub Sport Compression Shirt

Hands down the best I've ever used. And for 24 bucks the price is pretty comparable to UA, but with a much better fit. IMO of course.

Sadetar

No more junior member, bout time.
anchorman-celebration-gif.gif

Seeing as how the conversation relates to sweat, I finally found my favorite compression shirt. I used to love the Under Armor HeatGear compression shirts, but recently the new line of HeatGear Sonic compression shirts really let me down. It fits tight-ish, but it doesn't really compress the way it used to. If that makes any sense. I tried the Walmart ones, Starter Dri Star Compression, and they actually worked decently but they got discontinued it seems. But for the price they were great. Then I tried the BCG Compression shirts, but they suffered the same problem as the UA ones, just with better prices. Then I found these:

Sub Sport Compression Shirt

Hands down the best I've ever used. And for 24 bucks the price is pretty comparable to UA, but with a much better fit. IMO of course.
Darth, are you taking notes. We (or at least I) want you to squeeze into a tight-fitting compression shirt. It will so be worth it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Its junk now. I've lost 45 pounds in the past year, which is cool. Now I want to get stronger, because iveI've lost plenty of it.

I know the workout routine I read the OP but the diet for gaining weight is foreign to me. Teach me your ways Sunflower, how do you eat so many calories in one day to reach these macros? What are the good carbs and what are the bad ones? Protein supplement before or after workouts does it matter? What foods should I gravitate towards and which ones should I avoid?

I'm a small direct less child here in need of assistance, brotha

Okay so, just to make sure I've got it right - you've lost a good amount of weight (dope) but now you want to put on weight but have it be muscle.

Since it's a beginner program, you will be getting noob gainz (which are awesome) you can afford to play fast and loose with your intake for the first couple months. I understand, though, that you don't wanna put those 45 lbs back on immediately. So exercise restraint.

Eat big meals, stay away from carb-heavy foods (but you will need some carbs so don't be shy) - just stay away from JUNK. I know Cheetos are the best snack ever created but hang back.

You'll eventually need that food scale when it's time to buckle down, so don't spring for it just yet if you don't want to. The most important thing for a beginner wanting to gain muscle, using a program from the OP is:

Sleep well
Eat plenty
Increase weight every visit. Every got damn visit.

Sleeping and eating are going to be the best.

Eventually you will need to tune-up your diet in a few months or so, so file this away for later:

Well, here's the rough part - it means you're going to have to track the living dick out of your diet. Which means you need a food scale ( $15 at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004164SRA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ) - and you should pick up MyFitnessPal (app or desktop, they all work fine, whatever's easiest for you) and track ya shit.

I'm assuming you're doing a beginner program from the OP, which means you will need to (for best results) eat a caloric excess of about 500 calories per day. So, figure out your maintenance calories. There's a handful of ways to do it but without a nutritionist or doctor around that'll give you a better idea, you're going to be ballparking it: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-maintenance-calculator-daily-calorie-requirements/ is a good start.

I'm also not an expert by any means. If anyone else has advice please feel free to offer it up for JC!

As for your specific questions:
How do you eat so much for your macros? - enjoy eating and do it a lot
What are the good carbs and what are the bad ones? - to me a carb is a carb. delicious but bad! But don't be shy around em, you'll need em.
Protein supplement before or after? - after, you'll get a nice glow going and be satisfied
What foods should I gravitate towards and which ones should I avoid? - Avoid cookies :( Avoid snacks in general, that's the real weight-gainer for people like me. Having shit on-hand (ooooo pretzels damn) will turn up those calories and carbs so goddamn fast.

Just keep one thing in mind, you can't outwork a shit diet, so you gotta bust your ass and not go overboard with a cake. But you can have some.

You're really fortunate you're a beginner. Enjoy these next six months until you start to plateau. It'll be so good.

Sadetar

A whole bar's worth in a day isn't lol. I have to hard limit myself to no more than a third of a bar a day and not to buy more than 2 bars at a time or I'll just gorge on them :|
I have no self control. It is honestly easier for me not to take any than to try to limit it after I have started...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom