• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Isn't it groundhog day for the 2nd time and veezy is back? Isn't he sporting a Phil avatar? Let's all put 2 and 2 together. We've figured you out, bro.

Matugi

Aren't you benching like 285? Damn dude. That's a hell of a small difference.

Bench max is 315 or so. I dealt with back injuries all summer so I had to restart at like 135 for deads back in September but my back feels great now (and my hip is getting better, too). I'm also short with a broad chest so I'm built to bench.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Bench max is 315 or so. I dealt with back injuries all summer so I had to restart at like 135 for deads back in September but my back feels great now (and my hip is getting better, too). I'm also short with a broad chest so I'm built to bench.
Gotcha. I forgot about the injury. Keep pushing!

Cooter

Thanks bud. 4 plates is so, so close for deads
You'll get there soon. You're so damn young I can only imagine where you will be at thirty. Shit, I didn't start squatting seriously until after 30 and I didn't start deadlifting until 1.5 years ago. You're way ahead of the game.

DOWN

Banned
Computer? Is this some sort of tracking app?

No, the trainer has some kind of fitness file on the computer for each client, and he had to put in my starting stats. The computer tries to put a diplomatic characterization on each stat, but that one got me laughing.

Hey Gaf, I'm currently doing this routine posted on the OP:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do for abdominal/arm work. Also, if anyone could speak about their journey and results regarding this specific program, that'd be fantastic! :)

SeanR1221

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do for abdominal/arm work. Also, if anyone could speak about their journey and results regarding this specific program, that'd be fantastic! :)

Your abs will be hit by squats and deads. Seriously, don't sweat the small things. If you feel like you absolutely must hit some arms, just throw in some Brocep curls after your last exercise. Keep it light, and do like a 4x15.

I can't tell you the last time I did a bicep curl and my arms recently went from 16.5 to 17 inches.

Once you have an established strength base, then you can branch off and either target weaknesses or hit certain parts for aesthetics. If you're just starting, build that base first.

BumRush

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

I'd definitely do more than 2 sets of Dead all week.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
lol Had an older woman squeeze my arm today while she raised her eyebrows and nodded her head up and down. I was mid sentence too. No fucks given.

She miring hard.

Chocobro

Any recommendations for workout tracking apps? Been using FitNotes but had to restore my phone and it doesn't automatically save.
JEFIT. The only real app I would recommend for serious lifting. I wrote quite a bit on it in the previous OT. Basically just make your workout routine on your PC or app, it'll all sync. It's pretty straightforward, not hard to use.
I never really understood that about SS, it's the one thing I don't get

(I've read what MR says about it, but I always felt better doing more...it's so crucial)
Rippetoe states why somewhere, I don't want to search for it. SL has an article detailing why they do 1x5 DL instead of 5x5. http://stronglifts.com/why-deadlifts-1x5-stronglifts-5x5-squats/

iddqd

Deadlifted double my bodyweight today (365) for the first time.

Diesel%20Kid%20Lifts%20Weights.gif

That was one of those "I'll be happy if I ever reach that" goals.
But I'm not happy.
Four plates, now THAT will make me happy

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

But I'm not happy.

Awesome work dude. I'll be happy if I can hit 250 by the end of the year.

Cooter

But I'm not happy.
Achieving those long-term goals are the best part of lifting. Congrats! Time for 3x bw

ILoveBish

But I'm not happy.

Once you hit 4 plates, you will not be happy and want more. That chasing the dragon never ends bro. Happened to me on every single lift, hit all types of records i thought i'd never get to and then kept wanting more.

Sadetar

Definitely possible. And one of the things I listed earlier, the other side is there's no pain. None when it happened, none now. It just feels "odd" and different. Like something isn't right.
Awesome to hear that there is still no pain or anything. Hopefully you will manage to get away with just feeling a tad "odd".

Thanks a lot guys! You're too kind :) It's been really hard but i'm ready to take this to the next phase (and should i say, lifting really feels good).
Awesome to hear that you actually enjoy it. That means you most likely will stick with it too. :D Good for you!

I've had my ears literally fill with pools of sweat, which have basically drowned my earphones... pleasant.

I bet you're glad I shared that!
Yep, couldn't have survived without this piece of information. :p

That was his one cheat day after 150 (ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY) consecutive days of clean eating. A competitive eater tried to replicate this in one hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfL5J-1Jlso
Damn, that was insane... and there is something wrong with me, since now I crave pizza.

You finally said fuck it and showed up to your gym in nothing but your underwear?
Lol. Shame you weren't right. ;)

lol Had an older woman squeeze my arm today while she raised her eyebrows and nodded her head up and down. I was mid sentence too. No fucks given.
Hahahahha. Couple more decades and I can imagine me doing that with no shame...

This far I have actually been asked to squeeze couple men's arms. Lol, one of them have been so random since it was a customer at work. But hey, it was a start. I need some squeezing practice to be a professional at it when I am old. :p

I'm back?

Oh, sup ladies and gentlemen?
Veezy! We haven't seen you in ages! :D Good to have you here! What you have been up to?

Guys I scored 0 on pull ups and laughed awkwardly when the computer said "Needs improvement."
Well, I am unable to do pull ups either. I just hang in there like a retard monkey.

But I'm not happy.
Awesome work and I admire your attitude!

I am myself still using ridiculous baby weights and unable to even deadlift currently. Hahah, I don't know how pathetic it is that I did a pr on bench today, 27,5 kilos / around 61 pounds. I did three sets of ten. I assume I could do more than that if I wouldn't do as many. But meh. With these kind of numbers it doesn't matter anyways. I am just looking forward to add more weight to my squats.

bchamba

Had a great workout today after resting since my meet on Saturday. Decided to try out mark bell's jacked and tan theory that bigger arms = bigger bench so I hit up biceps after benching. My first time doing isolation bicep exercises in at least 6 months, missed that pumped full of blood feeling.

Cooter

Hahahahha. Couple more decades and I can imagine me doing that with no shame...

This far I have actually been asked to squeeze couple men's arms. Lol, one of them have been so random since it was a customer at work. But hey, it was a start. I need some squeezing practice to be a professional at it when I am old. :p

Couple decades? I can imagine you doing it tomorrow! ;-)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hey Fit Gaf, is there any benefits to get Organic Whey Protein Powder vs non? Price is not an issue.

Hi Fit-Gaf,

I'm doing Stronglift 5x5 since the second week of January and it's been a REALLY good program. My thighs are noticeably getting thicker, which surprised me with how fast it happened.

I read on the the Stronglift site that you lose fat when you lift heavy, but how true it this?

I do need to lose some weight( 30lbs would be great), but I really enjoy doing this, which is surprising for me to say since I don't really like exercising other than some sports :(

Cooter

Hi Fit-Gaf,

I'm doing Stronglift 5x5 since the second week of January and it's been a REALLY good program. My thighs are noticeably getting thicker, which surprised me with how fast it happened.

I read on the the Stronglift site that you lose fat when you lift heavy, but how true it this?

I do need to lose some weight( 30lbs would be great), but I really enjoy doing this, which is surprising for me to say since I don't really like exercising other than some sports :(

You lose fat if you eat less than your body requires to maintain. Lifting weights can help burn some calories and obviously gain muscle but it doesn't help you lose weight anymore than cardio.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Came up with a really tough pull-up routine that I'd like to share with you guys if you care to try it out (looking at you, Coots):

For every ten seconds, do one rep, and repeat for as long as you can.

Obviously, you'll need a stopwatch for this. What I do is I start the timer, then grab the bar just as it's hitting a new number, and start from there. I might start when it hits 10 seconds, and then I know to do a pull-up at 20. But when I come down, it might already be 26 seconds, so I'll just hang on the bar until 36, and then do another pull-up.

I only lasted 50 seconds. :/ My grip gave out quickly.

You lose fat if you eat less than your body requires to maintain. Lifting weights can help burn some calories and obviously gain muscle but it doesn't help you lose weight anymore than cardio.

I want to reduce my calorie intake, but the main problem I am having is not having enough protein. I usually get around 140-160 protein per day, but I want to get to 200grams+, but I'm having a problem keeping everything below 3000 calories.

I'm 6"2 with a large frame and 260lbs. I was originally 277lbs before starting Stronglift in January, so I'm making some progress :)

_Isaac

Alarm went off in the gym today and nobody even flinched. Everybody kept on lifting. How come nobody ever pays attention to alarms? This is like the third time I've heard of something like this happening.

RoeBear

Alarm went off in the gym today and nobody even flinched. Everybody kept on lifting. How come nobody ever pays attention to alarms? This is like the third time I've heard of something like this happening.
Nothing stands on the way of gains, even danger...

Cooter

I want to reduce my calorie intake, but the main problem I am having is not having enough protein. I usually get around 140-160 protein per day, but I want to get to 200grams+, but I'm having a problem keeping everything below 3000 calories.

I'm 6"2 with a large frame and 260lbs. I was originally 277lbs before starting Stronglift in January, so I'm making some progress :)

Between meat, whey, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and eggs, 200 grams of protein should be fairly easy to hit with a budget of 3,000 calories. Make sure to eat plenty of veggies too. I can hit 200 with 2,000 with ease.

Came up with a really tough pull-up routine that I'd like to share with you guys if you care to try it out (looking at you, Coots):

For every ten seconds, do one rep, and repeat for as long as you can.

Obviously, you'll need a stopwatch for this. What I do is I start the timer, then grab the bar just as it's hitting a new number, and start from there. I might start when it hits 10 seconds, and then I know to do a pull-up at 20. But when I come down, it might already be 26 seconds, so I'll just hang on the bar until 36, and then do another pull-up.

I only lasted 50 seconds. :/ My grip gave out quickly.
Ok, so you ended up with 5 pullups? Yeah? I'll give it a try. It's mainly a grip strength exercise. Can I just do a muscle up and hang out above the bar instead of hanging? ;-)

DOWN

Banned
Hey Fit Gaf, is there any benefits to get Organic Whey Protein Powder vs non? Price is not an issue.

Damn a question even I can answer already, score 1 for me. The answer is hell nah. No proven benefit, so it would only be done because you don't have any scientific reason and it just makes you feel better to do it.

Nothing stands on the way of gains, even danger...

Danger gains are the best gains.

Unrelated, just got a pull up assist thing for the missus. Seems to work, but unfortunately as it's being used on a chin up bar in a doorway it's basically cutting off the very bottom of the pullup, so it's not going to be great for improving the entire range.

BumRush

Lean meats, whey and eggs and you'll have no problem at all. Also, for the same calories as rice, quinoa has twice the protein.

I'll give it a try, cheers. Results up til now have been less than palatable (and I'm not the sort of fitness bro that eats just for macros!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom