• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My chest would crack pretty loudly sometimes even during the bench press, though this didn't happen often. I could sometimes feel that tightness and it would release after the cracking. I trust it's just a release of nitrogen in the area, which usually feels good afterwards.

And thanks for the kind words guys!

I wish you the best Black Flag and anyone else battling some kind of injury. :)

Well, I said it before, but when I stretch that area pops sometimes, but this was a little different and it was loud as hell. Seriously go to 41s on the video. It's like someone clapped loud. I also felt a little pull like a microsecond before it happened. Still though. No pain all night. So I'm leaning to a super pop, a rib pop, or scar tissue breaking. I did have a serious car accident as a teenager that left a very very bad seatbelt bruise across my chest and that's the right spot for it to be(where the belt would cross my neck/chest). Plus all the normal lifting and stuff. Scar tissue could definitely be it. Either way I'll see how I feel in the morning, but right now I'm very optimistic.

LiveWire

Anyone else ever have their hearing go out slightly while lifting? I set my record max deadlift at 405 today and for a few hours afterward my right ear felt clogged. It's fine now thankfully but it was a really weird feeling...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone else ever have their hearing go out slightly while lifting? I set my record max deadlift at 405 today and for a few hours afterward my right ear felt clogged. It's fine now thankfully but it was a really weird feeling...

Probably a breathing issue. You probably forced air into your ear.

Probably a breathing issue. You probably forced air into your ear.
I used to do this all the time, but not so much lately. Annoying all the same. The experience of air going through your ears while music is playing is just bizarre.

Also Shogun, wishing you the best, buddy. Get well soon and let us know how everything turns out. <3

I've had my ears literally fill with pools of sweat, which have basically drowned my earphones... pleasant.

I bet you're glad I shared that!

Exis

Hey Fitgaf,

I gotta ask- there was a guy at my gym last night that was doing cleans in the power rack with 95 pounds dropping the weight on the pins with a large clang each time.. that's not something people are supposed to do right?

He was right next to the bumper plates for gods sake.

Faiz

Hey Fitgaf,

I gotta ask- there was a guy at my gym last night that was doing cleans in the power rack with 95 pounds dropping the weight on the pins with a large clang each time.. that's not something people are supposed to do right?

You never drop anything on the pins on purpose.

Okay, I have a question already. I read the supplements section and links, but it doesn't seem as clear as the routines in the OP as far as recommending an actual regimen (unless I'm just not seeing it). Is there a consensus on what is actually really helpful for supplements and what isn't?

It sounds like I'll need to go for the whey post-routine powders since I have been at a pretty good weight for sedentary and can't really imagine eating enough protein from food alone. But creatine? Omega-3s and multivitamins? Or do I wait a little bit before adding those on top of protein as a beginner?

wanna be like this in 6
months/
years

Supplements are just that. Things that can supplement your nutrition. It isn't really required. The only suppements I take are multivitamins, fish oil (since i dont eat that much fish), vit d3 (since I work graveyard shift) and the occasional protein powder (I usually drink one when I work because I don't eat as much, when I'm off I get enough from food sources)

Chocobro

Hey Fitgaf,

25# bumper plates? If so, then no idea why he's doing that. Just wonder, was he improvising for block cleans?

I personally started doing pendlay rows in the power rack on Sundays, when the gym is mostly empty, lol. The lightest bumper plates are 15kg/33#; my working weight hasn't reached to 111#. There aren't enough plates around to stack up to get the starting height.
I miss the university gym's 10# and 25# bumper paltes :(

andycapps

Keep at it and remember that we're always here to lend a hand.

tumblr_nhopepnQnY1r95p2wo1_250.gif

Thanks man, and that gif kills me.

Hey I was in the thread too, jesus. :(

Sorry man. If it makes you feel better, your progress pics have me mirin.

Bowser

Okay, I have a question already. I read the supplements section and links, but it doesn't seem as clear as the routines in the OP as far as recommending an actual regimen (unless I'm just not seeing it). Is there a consensus on what is actually really helpful for supplements and what isn't?

It sounds like I'll need to go for the whey post-routine powders since I have been at a pretty good weight for sedentary and can't really imagine eating enough protein from food alone. But creatine? Omega-3s and multivitamins? Or do I wait a little bit before adding those on top of protein as a beginner?

wanna be like this in 6
months/
years

I'd say the only "essential" supplement is whey protein unless you eat a lot of meat/cheese. Other than that, I take a multivitamin, fish oil (I'm not a fan of seafood so besides eggs, this is how I get my omega 3s), and creatine (can't hurt, not that expensive, usually recommended).

Also, I hope you realize just how much work the Rock puts in to get that kind of physique. He trains twice a day, HEAVY, and a lot of cardio. Plus he eats like a fucking hoss:

RockDiet_540px.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-rock-dwayne-johnsons-hercules-diet/13006781/

DOWN

Banned
The trainer did tests on me and I got 0 pull ups and he said my blood pressure was high to the point where it would be irresponsible not to do cardio for starting out so RIP me.

But I guess I got lucky because he is also the buffest trainer who apparently specializes in muscle building even though I didn't really choose which trainer I wanted. He said he weighed 150 when he graduated high school and now he's 215 at about 5'9" height which sounds better than me so hoorah.

Supplements are just that. Things that can supplement your nutrition. It isn't really required. The only suppements I take are multivitamins, fish oil (since i dont eat that much fish), vit d3 (since I work graveyard shift) and the occasional protein powder (I usually drink one when I work because I don't eat as much, when I'm off I get enough from food sources)

I'd say the only "essential" supplement is whey protein unless you eat a lot of meat/cheese. Other than that, I take a multivitamin, fish oil (I'm not a fan of seafood so besides eggs, this is how I get my omega 3s), and creatine (can't hurt, not that expensive, usually recommended).

Also, I hope you realize just how much work the Rock puts in to get that kind of physique. He trains twice a day, HEAVY, and a lot of cardio. Plus he eats like a fucking hoss:

RockDiet_540px.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-rock-dwayne-johnsons-hercules-diet/13006781/
Thanks for the info.

I doubt I'd ever actually be committed enough to look like The Rock so I'll go for something between Jim Carrey and Mark Wahlberg in real life. Nonetheless, I'm gonna keep the poster up.

BumRush

RockDiet_540px.jpg

Let's all try to do that diet ONE day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all know he didnt finish all that food

I didn't see a pic of his plate cleaned. Rock's a liar!

demented

After finishing cut how do I start bulking? How often and by how much do I increase calories? I know you do not jump to bulking ones right away but slowly increase so I was wondering how slow? Few hundred per week or? Also for TDEE calculators I put in sedentary, but I lift 3 times a week (5x5 icf) and starting boxing soon which is very intense so I have no idea how many calories I'll need to bulk. Sedentary tdee around 2100.

I reckon I could do his meal plan for one day. Would have to be on the weekend though as I wouldn't have any time to work as well as cook / eat all of that.

I'm going to start carb loading at night before some of my heavier weeks. I was thinking of peanut butter sandwiches right before I go to bed? Anyone have any advice or guidance? I did this last night with some kashi bars and I felt amazing today. Hit 400x5 for deadlifts then got 3 singles so I figured getting some extra carbs in me at night could help.

BumRush

After finishing cut how do I start bulking? How often and by how much do I increase calories? I know you do not jump to bulking ones right away but slowly increase so I was wondering how slow? Few hundred per week or? Also for TDEE calculators I put in sedentary, but I lift 3 times a week (5x5 icf) and starting boxing soon which is very intense so I have no idea how many calories I'll need to bulk. Sedentary tdee around 2100.

Put in your sedentary for cut, then sedentary for bulk target and subtract the difference. Add that to whatever you've been eating at. As for how soon to switch, I don't see any reason if it's 400 or 500 calories a day you can't just do it immediately.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I used to do this all the time, but not so much lately. Annoying all the same. The experience of air going through your ears while music is playing is just bizarre.

Also Shogun, wishing you the best, buddy. Get well soon and let us know how everything turns out. <3

How we feeling this morning brolic?

Thanks guys.

No pain, no bruising, however when I move in a certain way that area feels weird. And I've tried doing valsava a few times and it feels weird then too. Not exactly sure what the hell it is. Maybe a strain. Ill know better when I bench tomorrow or later on when I try to deadlift.

BumRush

Thanks guys.

No pain, no bruising, however when I move in a certain way that area feels weird. And I've tried doing valsava a few times and it feels weird then too. Not exactly sure what the hell it is. Maybe a strain. Ill know better when I bench tomorrow or later on when I try to deadlift.

I'm sure you don't need to hear this but go light on your first set or two tonight (aka deadlift a car, not your usual school bus)...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm sure you don't need to hear this but go light on your first set or two tonight (aka deadlift a car, not your usual school bus)...

You're funny and deadlifts aren't tonight I worded that poorly.

Yeah, I'm gonna treat it like an injury. I'm off today, and I bench tomorrow, but I'm more concerned about deadlifts later next week.

Still though. No pain is a good sign.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Worked on squat technique today. Stuck with high bar, did not change my hand position once the bar was unracked, shifted my wrists forward, kept my elbows down, and kept tension on the bar by trying to squeeze the bar around me.

All of this really helped with getting out of the hole when bottoming out of the squat. The upper body is nice and rigid, all I have to worry about is lower body movement.

despire

My chest would crack pretty loudly sometimes even during the bench press, though this didn't happen often. I could sometimes feel that tightness and it would release after the cracking. I trust it's just a release of nitrogen in the area, which usually feels good afterwards.

Might also be a fucked up joint in the middle of the sternum like I have. Got osteoarthritis in that joint from doing too much dips couple of years ago. Sharp pain at first and then it started to pop when pulling my shoulders back, which usually helped to the pain. Eventually it started to hurt even after popping and MRI confirmed what was wrong. Eating painkillers daily for it now so it's ok.

Edit:
To clarify, it wasn't the dips that caused the osteoarthritis but they fucked something up. And then the popping and what else caused the osteoarthritis.

BumRush

Worked on squat technique today. Stuck with high bar, did not change my hand position once the bar was unracked, shifted my wrists forward, kept my elbows down, and kept tension on the bar by trying to squeeze the bar around me.

All of this really helped with getting out of the hole when bottoming out of the squat. The upper body is nice and rigid, all I have to worry about is lower body movement.

Good job!! Post a video.

this_guy

Did front squats for the first time today after doing my normal squats. I went light just to get a feel for the form (did 95lbs, then 115lbs, then 135lbs - all sets of 5). Definitely feels like quads and back are worked more than vs regular squats.

sphinx

the piano man
guys have you noticed??? no I don't think you've noticed..

it's time to CELEBRATE!!!

celebrating.gif

the first one to guess why receives a brofist from me .

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

celebrating.gif

You finally said fuck it and showed up to your gym in nothing but your underwear?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

celebrating.gif

A new person read the OP! I'm sure that's what it is!

sphinx

the piano man
bah, noone gets a brofist >_<

^_^ RESOLUTIONERS ARE GONE!! gone gone gone, hells yeah

free weight area all for me and a couple of dudes who are done using the equipment pretty quickly cause they know what they are doing-

bah, noone gets a brofist >_<

^_^ RESOLUTIONERS ARE GONE!! gone gone gone, hells yeah

free weight area all for me and a couple of dudes who are done using the equipment pretty quickly cause they know what they are doing-

It's too cold for resolutioners

real resolutioners start appearing during spring break

I've had very little luck buying used weights so far, so I suspect there's a way to go before they've accepted that they've given up.

Usually I get most of my stuff in April.

ILoveBish

Yesterday was a all new low calorie wise for me, 1450 calories. I only ate twice the entire day, and it was all in a 4 hour window. I fasted for 20 hours, ate then hit the gym at lunch today and got 300x5 on squats, felt strong but not as much endurance as I like to have. The deficit must be taking a toll on me but not enough for me to not get my lifts in, so I'll keep at it. Scale weight hasn't moved at all, but the visual difference is very visable. I'm getting cut in place I never have been.

Going to keep pushing on.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
lol Had an older woman squeeze my arm today while she raised her eyebrows and nodded her head up and down. I was mid sentence too. No fucks given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom