• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

Danger gains are the best gains.

Unrelated, just got a pull up assist thing for the missus. Seems to work, but unfortunately as it's being used on a chin up bar in a doorway it's basically cutting off the very bottom of the pullup, so it's not going to be great for improving the entire range.

Is it like a pull-up assist band? Is she supporting her weight with the band on her feet or knee?

Szu

Nothing stands on the way of gains, even danger...

galaxyquest.gif

BumRush

I'll give it a try, cheers. Results up til now have been less than palatable (and I'm not the sort of fitness bro that eats just for macros!).

Another way I've made it is with light ranch dressing and an entire rotisserie chicken. So good and tons of protein.

iddqd

Awesome work dude. I'll be happy if I can hit 250 by the end of the year.

Achieving those long-term goals are the best part of lifting. Congrats! Time for 3x bw

Once you hit 4 plates, you will not be happy and want more. That chasing the dragon never ends bro. Happened to me on every single lift, hit all types of records i thought i'd never get to and then kept wanting more.

Awesome work and I admire your attitude!

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to take it slow and focus a bit on the squat next. Its not even CLOSE so there is some catching up to do.

Alarm went off in the gym today and nobody even flinched. Everybody kept on lifting. How come nobody ever pays attention to alarms? This is like the third time I've heard of something like this happening.

This is actually a known phenomenon. What it comes down to is that no one wants to look stupid and fall out of the herd's behaviour.
There are studies about this stuff in terms of emergencies and why certain people survive while others dont. And "wait and see" is the reason why some burn and some dont.

From the great book
http://youarenotsosmart.com/

Psychologists refer to it as normalcy bias. First responders call it negative panic. This strange counterproductive tendency to forget self-preservation in the event of an emergency is often factored into fatality predictions in everything from ship sinkings to stadium evacuations.

Disaster movies get it all wrong. When you and others are warned of danger, you don’t evacuate immediately while screaming and flailing your arms.

In his book Big Weather, tornado chaser Mark Svenvold wrote about how contagious normalcy bias can be. He recalled how people often tried to convince him to chill out while fleeing from impending doom. He said even when tornado warnings were issued, people assumed it was someone else’s problem. Stake-holding peers, he said, would try to shame him into denial so they could remain calm. They didn’t want him deflating their attempts at feeling normal.

Normalcy bias flows into the brain no matter the scale of the problem. It will appear whether you have days and plenty of warning or are blindsided with only seconds between life and death.

Heysoos

Hit 355 on deadlift today, and I think the main thing that held me back from going further was grip strength. Should I look into accessory work for grip strength or use chalk/wraps?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hit 355 on deadlift today, and I think the main thing that held me back from going further was grip strength. Should I look into accessory work for grip strength or use chalk/wraps?
Definitely use chalk and farmers walks would only help.

bchamba

When I was doing a bodybuilding split I always hit forearms at the end of my arm day by doing reverse straight bar curls for 3 sets and then after that doing a superset of seated straight bar wrist curls, seated easy bar wrist curls, picking up and holding a heavy pair of dumbells for as long as I could (usually about 10 - 15 seconds if you pick a heavy enough weight). I would do that superset 3 times. I probably did that routine once a week for 4 months and since then I've stopped directly training forearms completely but I've never had an issue with grip strength.

I also always use chalk when deadlifting at around 75% + of my max.

Between meat, whey, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and eggs, 200 grams of protein should be fairly easy to hit with a budget of 3,000 calories. Make sure to eat plenty of veggies too. I can hit 200 with 2,000 with ease.

Ok, so you ended up with 5 pullups? Yeah? I'll give it a try. It's mainly a grip strength exercise. Can I just do a muscle up and hang out above the bar instead of hanging? ;-)

Do you not recommend drinking milk? I do drink three cups of milk, which I know contributes to my high calorie intake.

Lean meats, whey and eggs and you'll have no problem at all. Also, for the same calories as rice, quinoa has twice the protein.

I actually have some Quinoa, but I have a problem with the taste. I saw a recipe on this page to make a taste good , so I'm going try it out. Thanks!

Szu

Ugh, been feeling under the weather for the past week. Haven't been to the gym since last Friday.

I thought screw it, I'm eating whatever I want for lunch today.

I got two Big Mac's, a 7-11 Big Bite hotdog, and a Big Gulp.

Or as FE, MTP, or Brolic would call it "a light snack".

ILoveBish

My warm up sets are done overhand grip no chalk. 3 working sets after are mixed grip with chalk and belt.

Or as FE, MTP, or Brolic would call it "a light snack".

Elevenses.

Unrelated, added some forearm work in to my routine today. Palms down and palms up wrist curls. Really felt them, very isolated. I do like it when I start a new move and instantly get a feel for it.

Also tried straight bar wrist rotations, which didn't work for me at all. Just ripped the skin on my hands to bits.

Chocobro

Ahhh... I know it's not a form example vid, but if you're going to keep hold of the bar, careful not to snap back to the bottom like that. My back hurt just watching you.

Quite a few people mentioned that already lol. I'm not worried because I have trust my mobility and flexibility for the most part. Haven't experienced any strain or stress from doing that since I started lifting. I appreciate your concern.

bchamba

Quite a few people mentioned that already lol. I'm not worried because I have trust my mobility and flexibility for the most part. Haven't experienced any strain or stress from doing that since I started lifting. I appreciate your concern.

Might be an issue when the weight gets heavier, maybe not resulting in injury but tiring out your back more than needed each time and making you a little weaker and sore before your next rep.

All you'd have to do to fix it is drop your hips on the way down the same way you do in the beginning of the first rep.

So I mentioned my lower right back pain a few days ago and did 5 test squats (no weights) to see how it affected my back. Whenever I went down, I had a sort of stretching sensation where the pain usually is. What does that mean, exactly?

God Enel

I asked the same question in the nutrition thread. but to be sure i'm asking over here. maybe I'll get some different opinions.

Guys. I need some advice and i exactly don't know if I should post it here or in the fitgaf thread.
Copied:
Basically I need to cut some fat around my stomach/abs. I'm working out every day (doing p90x3 doubles and some weight training) and i'm sitting at 75kg (about 165lbs if i'm correct?). I dont want to lose weight, just cut fat.
Currently I'm doing a low carb (pseudo paleo) diet. Eating about 60-70 grams of carbs (from vegetables). 150grams of protein (shakes, eggs, mostly! lean meat) and 200? or so grams of fat (oil, greek yoghurt, cheese, eggs and so on). I'm staying at about 2100 or so calories a day.
I'm 3 weeks in and already cut a lot of fat.
What do you experts say? to keep going? change my diet? if yes, what should i do differently?
And what do you think about "fatburners" and stuff like that?

thanks for the help.

Not sure if this is the place to ask or not but what's the general consensus on Quest bars? I know there is skepticism on the nutrition claims and whatnot but eating one keeps me from being hungry which is nice. But is the shit inside of them not worth that?

Bowser

Not sure if this is the place to ask or not but what's the general consensus on Quest bars? I know there is skepticism on the nutrition claims and whatnot but eating one keeps me from being hungry which is nice. But is the shit inside of them not worth that?

Quest bars are revered in this thread. Just make sure they're either cookies and cream or chocolate chip cookie dough

bchamba

I asked the same question in the nutrition thread. but to be sure i'm asking over here. maybe I'll get some different opinions.

Guys. I need some advice and i exactly don't know if I should post it here or in the fitgaf thread.
Copied:
Basically I need to cut some fat around my stomach/abs. I'm working out every day (doing p90x3 doubles and some weight training) and i'm sitting at 75kg (about 165lbs if i'm correct?). I dont want to lose weight, just cut fat.
Currently I'm doing a low carb (pseudo paleo) diet. Eating about 60-70 grams of carbs (from vegetables). 150grams of protein (shakes, eggs, mostly! lean meat) and 200? or so grams of fat (oil, greek yoghurt, cheese, eggs and so on). I'm staying at about 2100 or so calories a day.
What do you experts say? to keep going? change my diet? if yes, what should i do differently?

thanks for the help.

As long as you're in a caloric deficit you will continue to lose fat. There is no way to target fat loss for a specific body part. Everybody holds fat in different places, for me and it sounds like for you also, I gain fat around my belly first and it is the last place I will lose fat when cutting down.

I don't think many here will have a bad word to say about Quest bars. The argument over what's in them focusses mostly on fibre, which not many here really care about.

Cooter

Copied:

thanks for the help.
I wouldn't change a thing. It's working so keep going. That is almost the exact advice I would give.

I don't think many here will have a bad word to say about Quest bars. The argument over what's in them focusses mostly on fibre, which not many here really care about.

Well as a type 1 diabetic Im using them also as a low carb means so the fiber is important to me as it doesn't Impact my blood sugar as much. But it sounds like people are good with them. Should they only be eaten on work out days?

Doesn't really make a difference. I sometimes have them on non workout days as they're a pretty good source of protein without too many calories.

ILoveBish

Well as a type 1 diabetic Im using them also as a low carb means so the fiber is important to me as it doesn't Impact my blood sugar as much. But it sounds like people are good with them. Should they only be eaten on work out days?

If you have a blood tester, check your levels after a quest bar. They tend to spike the same as a candy bar would for most people. They are a nice treat, but I do not count on them when it comes to my daily diet.

Check here also

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2sc5fk/lowcarbbusters_quest_bar_blood_glucose_test/

sphinx

the piano man
I was talking with this bodybuilder friend of mine and he said something to me that kept me thinking. It's probably a "duh, no shit" thing for advanced BBs here but it went like this

I said that I have to be careful with bulking, no to get "bad weight" (get just fat) and be careful with the counting and the macros

and he said. "No, on a bulk and while trying to acquire mass there's not a too high number of calories. If you are getting fat, you simply have to train and lift more"

it's more complicated than that but it made sense.

ILoveBish

I was talking with this bodybuilder friend of mine and he said something to me that kept me thinking. It's probably a "duh, no shit" thing for advanced BBs here but it went like this

I said that I have to be careful with bulking, no to get "bad weight" (get just fat) and be careful with the counting and the macros

and he said. "No, on a bulk and while trying to acquire mass there's not a too high number of calories. If you are getting fat, you simply have to train and lift more"

it's more complicated than that but it made sense.

That is not correct. There is only so much muscle you can build and it does not take that many calories over your maintenance levels to hit level. Everything else will be fat. Unless you are drugs.

sphinx

the piano man
That is not correct. There is only so much muscle you can build and it does not take that many calories over your maintenance levels to hit level. Everything else will be fat. Unless you are drugs.

this is true.

He probably didn't mean that, to be honest, he didn't say "eat the whole cow and lift big" it's probalby more what I understood or my interpretation

nevermind

Eklipsis

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but what percent of my 1rm should be used for warm up sets and how many warm up set/reps should I be doing?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone here have experience with intermittent fasting?

How about on a bulk? Is it doable/advisable?

Cooter

Plenty of experience when cutting or on maintenance. On a bulk I eat lunch and a snack before lifting because fitting 4000 calories in a 4-5 window gets old. It's doable if that's what you want to know.

ILoveBish

I had to guilt trip myself to eat extra yesterday to hit 1700 calories but I got it. I am seriously loving IF, da bes. I got 5x200 easy on bench today, didn't even need to use any leg drive at all. Felt super strong. Done lifting for the week.

It's been a month or so for me doing IF properly and I can't recommend it enough. I am however cutting not bulking. I would go with whatever cooter says on that.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What aspects are you looking for?

I guess all of it? What time you train, when you eat, when you stop eating, how many calories, how many meals, etc.?

I guess I'm trying to figure out a good schedule for myself since I work odd hours.

Would it be possible to fast from, say, 11pm to 3pm, and then consume however many calories I need from 4pm to 10pm?

I'd be training three times a week during fasting hours (anywhere from 11am-1pm)

Does that make sense? And where does carb cycling fit in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom