• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Yeah I saw that. A guy was saying you looked better small and you got too much muscle now or something. You seemed to put him in his place.

It's amazing how almost everyone was saying that it's hard to impossible to look good without drugs or a ton of money, but when someone is as close as you can be while still being healthy they say that you're not good enough. Most people in that thread were ignorant which is why I never said anything.

Wait someone said that to Darth? I missed that.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I am having a lot of trouble benching 245lbs. I can do three reps, rest, then two more.

I'm supposed to hit 250lbs on Friday for three reps. I've been doing madcows program for the past 5 weeks. Anybody done this routine?

RoeBear

Lol was going to quote it but I think it's in poor taste. The guy sorta apologized. You actually quoted him in a reply.

Edit: damn nvm he was actually talking to you :( either way he said bulky muscles were uncool so I lumped Spiritreaver into that.... lol

bchamba

Lol was going to quote it but I think it's in poor taste. The guy sorta apologized. You actually quoted him in a reply.

Edit: damn nvm he was actually talking to you :( either way he said bulky muscles were uncool so I lumped Spiritreaver into that.... lol

Yea lol totally uncool. If you're going to have muscles keep them to a minimum and maintain 5% bodyfat. Otherwise you probably should not workout at all and just judge other people online.

theytookourjobz

Yea lol totally uncool. If you're going to have muscles keep them to a minimum and maintain 5% bodyfat. Otherwise you probably should not workout at all and just judge other people online.

Good thing real life isn't like the internet. Girls like muscles. Keep lifting gaf bros.

I try to jack my head way back, not look up, but push my head back like when you back squat. Its always close to my throat though and I think it always will be.

thanks

You don't. When I hit 315+ it's a race to start the squat before I pass out after I unrack it. Every time my vision closes in on me when I unrack it.

well I feel better now knowing its normal, thought something was wrong with my form

Guys, i've been mostly a lurker here but i kind of wanted to share my progress... (sorry for the shitty quality of the pictures).

This is me in January 2014: 5''9 and i was at 117 lbs, 20 years. I wasn't getting the right amount of food (mostly because of gastric problems throughout adolescence), and well you can see...

1F_zps6925816d.jpg
2F_zps7711af0c.jpg

Last year i wanted to improve my health and found that lifting was really interesting and fulfilling. Now i'm 150 lbs (most of what i got was fat i think but i really needed it)...

Well i'm still scrawny as fuck but i have a "normal" weight now i think, my goal is from here on adding muscle to the frame...

Well this is essentially why I made videos, to make sure I wasn't going down the wrong path with my form before things got heavier.

I'll admit that eventually I started skimming the book since it's pretty hefty, but I'm thinking I may go back to reading it indepth, probably focusing on one exercise at a time. It is nice to have a video recommendation too, I used a few for a bit of reference but perhaps I should watch them more often, and possibly compare my own videos to what they show side-by-side.

This also means that I'll probably need to figure out a decent way to mount my phonefor days I'm mostly alone (I often workout during the gym's afterhours, and even when it's during staff hours they're often handling business or helping other members with consultation.

Anyways, I'll make sure to take this as an eye opener and work to improve. I appreciate the critic.

For serious read the book. You can probably skim through all the physics lessons but yea the book will help you in understanding basic body mechanics.

Also like I said Alan Thrall's YouTube videos are very thourough and in fact I used to watch them as a kind of pre workout prep. It's that good. Johnnie Candito's channel is also pretty damn good with tips on form

If you have any specific questions just shoot me a PM or holler at our fellow fit gaf experts (especially Brolic, Cooter, Chocobro, Sean, etc)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, i've been mostly a lurker here but i kind of wanted to share my progress... (sorry for the shitty quality of the pictures).

This is me in January 2014: 5''9 and i was at 117 lbs, 20 years. I wasn't getting the right amount of food (mostly because of gastric problems throughout adolescence), and well you can see...

Last year i wanted to improve my health and found that lifting was really interesting and fulfilling. Now i'm 150 lbs (most of what i got was fat i think but i really needed it)...

Well i'm still scrawny as fuck but i have a "normal" weight now i think, my goal is from here on adding muscle to the frame...

Huge change. Huge gains. You were lookin' like Eddie Guerrero in WCW now you're moving into Eddie in WWE! Progress brother, I love it! Keep doing what you're doing! Hell of a journey for a year! Looks great.

BTW thanks for the backup in that thread yesterday. You guys know who you are. Nothing more aggravating than adding a ton of size to my frame and then being shit on and told I'll never be able to hit my goals. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Might have tore something in my chest. Cross post from facebook group. A little concerned. Was doing farmer walks today. Got 242lbs for 150ft, but at the end something pulled then popped in my upper chest/lower beginning of neck area. I think you can even hear it on video. Anyone have this happen ever? No pain or bruising yet. Just feels weird. Icing and taking Ibuprofen now. http://youtu.be/ubn-_6PoRVY

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, that ain't good to hear. Here's hoping it magically vanishes like the last scare.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck, that ain't good to hear. Here's hoping it magically vanishes like the last scare.

Well, there's no pain, yet. So that's different. But Ii definitely felt something pull to the left briefly before it popped. It's right below the little dip in your neck below the Adams apple. Basically right where the upper chest starts.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well, there's no pain, yet. So that's different. But Ii definitely felt something pull to the left briefly before it popped. It's right below the little dip in your neck below the Adams apple. Basically right where the upper chest starts.
The way you describe it and the area I think I've strained it before. If it's the same thing it goes away quickly. However, I've never had a pop so it could be something entirely different.

Muscle tensed against a rib then slipping or something? I've occasionally had stuff move when carrying heavy but not actually caused any damage.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The way you describe it and the area I think I've strained it before. If it's the same thing it goes away quickly. However, I've never had a pop so it could be something entirely different.

Muscle tensed against a rib then slipping or something? I've occasionally had stuff move when carrying heavy but not actually caused any damage.

Hoping it's either scar tissue popping (that area tends to pop when I stretch sometimes anyway) or a rib popped. Anxiously awaiting bruising and pain though.

Can you guys hear it right at the end of the video?

SeanR1221

I don't have any constructive feedback Brolic but I hope you're alright. I'd imagine no pain is. A good sign but your adrenaline could be running high.

bchamba

I've never heard a pop but I've strained or tore my pec benching. It felt like thick saran wrap being stretched until it ripped close to where the shoulder and pec meet. There was not a lot of immediate pain, it happened at the bottom of the press when I first started to push up and I was able to finish the rep. Very minimal bruising developed in that area but it prevented me from doing anything for my upper body for about 6 - 8 weeks.

Shit Brolic get well soon. I hope it's not anything serious

On a happier note (for me anyway) gonna get a phone tripod so I can finally start posting form/PR vids again. It's been too long

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shit Brolic get well soon. I hope it's not anything serious

On a happier note (for me anyway) gonna get a phone tripod so I can finally start posting form/PR vids again. It's been too long
Again, not sure I'm actually injured. A buddy thinks if anything it's just strained, I might get lucky and it's nothing at all.

Reposting for 50ppp peasants.

Might have tore something in my chest. Cross post from facebook group. A little concerned. Was doing farmer walks today. Got 242lbs for 150ft, but at the end something pulled then popped in my upper chest/lower beginning of neck area. I think you can even hear it on video. Anyone have this happen ever? No pain or bruising yet. Just feels weird. Icing and taking Ibuprofen now. http://youtu.be/ubn-_6PoRVY

ILoveBish

Hope it's nothing brolic, and that you're up and running again in no time.

Got 360x5 on deadlift today, felt so good. Feeling so strong right now, even tho my body didn't want to go all the way, I just told myself, I've pulled a lot more then this and kept going.

Szu

Hoping it's either scar tissue popping (that area tends to pop when I stretch sometimes anyway) or a rib popped. Anxiously awaiting bruising and pain though.

Can you guys hear it right at the end of the video?

There's a sound right at the 41 sec mark. I think that's it.

Take it easy, man. Hope it's nothing.

Starting strength and couch to 5k. Should I do them on the same day or alternate?

Doesn't really matter as couch to 5k isn't particularly strenuous on the body. I'd personally do them on the same day, with couch to 5k stuff after lifting (ideally with a food / recovery gap, but it's not essential).

Sadetar

550 deadlift. PR

As with any max lift it's not pretty but it's now recorded history! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdFxOCevOw&feature=youtu.be
Attaboy! You continue being one of the utter beasts!

I have stubby limbs and I'm pretty much a giraffe with my neck. So I get why most people think I'm shorter.

If I don't eat before lifting I always have a bad time.
Well, your body is working very well with you so just be extremely happy about it. :D

What comes to eating I think I am still working with so low weights it doesn't really matter to me. :p

This is totally improper, but I still need to say that he is ridiculously hot with that facial hair.

Tough crowd in that marvel movie muscle thread.

Getting called ugly AND fat.
I read the whole thread through. Thank gods there were couple FitGaffers adding some sense to all that ignorance. I didn't even comment anything there since I was just generally so annoyed with the whole thing.

Like people have already said in here, you have made significant progress and we are all damn proud of you.

This is exactly what I want to see. Awesome work! That is a significant difference! Totally loving it. Just keep doing what you are doing, it is definitely working.

BTW thanks for the backup in that thread yesterday. You guys know who you are. Nothing more aggravating than adding a ton of size to my frame and then being shit on and told I'll never be able to hit my goals. Get out of here with that nonsense.
I saw your posts as well. I loved seeing your pics. Just keep at it and the gains will continue to come.

Thanks bud. Even if I'm not, it won't hold me back. Injuries are only temporary.
Hopefully it isn't anything serious. You haven't still had any kind of pain? Hopefully it just stays that way.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yep. Still nothing. No pain, swelling or discoloration.

That said. I just realized I walked 484lbs 150ft that's nearly serious deadlift weight territory. I need to work on that turn though. Still had plenty of grip.

Nice job man, definitely filling out.

This is exactly what I want to see. Awesome work! That is a significant difference! Totally loving it. Just keep doing what you are doing, it is definitely working.

Huge change. Huge gains. You were lookin' like Eddie Guerrero in WCW now you're moving into Eddie in WWE! Progress brother, I love it! Keep doing what you're doing! Hell of a journey for a year! Looks great.

Thanks a lot guys! You're too kind :) It's been really hard but i'm ready to take this to the next phase (and should i say, lifting really feels good).

BumRush

Even with a potential injury, still got your head up. Hope you're well Brolic...keep us updated.

242 for 150 though...goddamn.

blackflag

I don't really post in here much cuz I don't have much advice to give and I haven't been able to lift in awhile but...

I finally got an MRI on my back and it looks pretty bad from what I see. Got my follow up with the doc tomorrow so I gotta take my MRIs there and see what the deal is.

I just want to lift. I don't think I've lost much if any muscle but I have gained some fat......I'll shed it wuick when I can lift again. Hopefully soon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really post in here much cuz I don't have much advice to give and I haven't been able to lift in awhile but...

I finally got an MRI on my back and it looks pretty bad from what I see. Got my follow up with the doc tomorrow so I gotta take my MRIs there and see what the deal is.

I just want to lift. I don't think I've lost much if any muscle but I have gained some fat......I'll shed it wuick when I can lift again. Hopefully soon.

Sorry to hear this. We been missing you brother.

Hope things get better. Hoping for the best. Get well soon. And keep us updated!

DOWN

Banned
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 175
Goal: huge fast
Current Training Schedule: tomorrow
Current Training Equipment Available: i'll have to give an update on that because i've never checked into my gym before even though I literally have lived in the building next door and had membership for 4 years
Comments: I took PE online in high school so 8th grade is my last memory of exercising

Hey there guys. So I know basically nothing and am too nervous to go to a gym with people I know and too nervous to go alone, so I start with a trainer at 8:45am in the university gym, which is also a membership style gym too. Since I'm at ground zero, I suppose it should work for a while and he looks big. But I basically learned all I know reading the OP and I'll check back in to keep admiring the gymspiration and reading more. I'm basically almost no muscle and not much fat either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Current Training Equipment Available: i'll have to give an update on that because i've never checked into my gym before even though I literally have lived in the building next door and had membership for 4 years
Comments: I took PE online in high school so 8th grade is my last memory of exercising

Hey there guys. So I know basically nothing and am too nervous to go to a gym with people I know and too nervous to go alone, so I start with a trainer at 8:45am in the university gym, which is also a membership style gym too. Since I'm at ground zero, I suppose it should work for a while and he looks big. But I basically learned all I know reading the OP and I'll check back in to keep admiring the gymspiration and reading more. I'm basically almost no muscle and not much fat either.

You read the OP? You've got a leg up on many people. Keep us updated and let us help tweak your program.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Even with a potential injury, still got your head up. Hope you're well Brolic...keep us updated.

242 for 150 though...goddamn.

Thanks bud. The longer the night goes the more I just think it was scar tissue or a rib popping. Even though it was loud as hell. Still no pain or anything.

Shitty bud. Hope you get good news soon.

365 3x8, after a set back on Monday where 3 plates was quite painful, I feel this is huge.

Glad you're finally on an uptick, brother.

Zukuu

Banned

Read the OP for some routines. That should be your training plan for a couple of months. You can add a few exercises, if you have the time / motivation for it (e.g Triceps). Use your trainer mainly to show you how to do an exercise properly. Don't let him talk you into a split.

Alternatively my recommended slightly altered version of the OP routine:
A
Squats - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Biceps exercise of choice (e.g. 3x Chin Ups till failure; if you can't do them, do Negative Chin Ups; if you can't do them either / don't want to, go for 3x 5-8 Curls)

B
Squats - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5 (I recommend at least 1-2 warm up sets (e.g. 60%, 80%, then 100%))
Weighted Crunches - 3 sets till failure (aim for around 10-20 reps)
-This will add mass very fast and has your full body covered.
-Alternate between these each workout day and try to hit the gym least 3 times a week.
-Start with low weight to train the form and add weight to all exercises every workout, but only if you can keep a proper form.
-Eat enough, (that means over maintenance) or you'll severely hinder your progress.

DOWN

Banned
You read the OP? You've got a leg up on many people. Keep us updated and let us help tweak your program.
Broke a sweat reading it.

Read the OP for some routines. That should be your training plan for a couple of months. You can add a few exercises, if you have the time / motivation for it (e.g Triceps). Use your trainer mainly to show you how to do an exercise properly. Don't let him talk you into a split.

Alternatively my recommended slightly altered version of the OP routine:

-This will add mass very fast and has your full body covered.
-Alternate between these each workout day and try to hit the gym least 3 times a week.
-Start with low weight to train the form and add weight to all exercises every workout, but only if you can keep a proper form.
-Eat enough, (that means over maintenance) or you'll severely hinder your progress.

He looks pretty bulky so hopefully he automatically is on board with something like the routines here or I'll just tell him about the kind of stuff I want to do if it sounds too different. Thanks for the tips.

I am doing this entirely for vanity and don't care about anything else as long as I'm not damaging myself. At my height I gotta fill out a bit.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Thanks bud. The longer the night goes the more I just think it was scar tissue or a rib popping. Even though it was loud as hell. Still no pain or anything.

Shitty bud. Hope you get good news soon.

Glad you're finally on an uptick, brother.

My chest would crack pretty loudly sometimes even during the bench press, though this didn't happen often. I could sometimes feel that tightness and it would release after the cracking. I trust it's just a release of nitrogen in the area, which usually feels good afterwards.

Good to hear. The Trap Lord cometh.

And thanks for the kind words guys!

I wish you the best Black Flag and anyone else battling some kind of injury. :)

DOWN

Banned
Okay, I have a question already. I read the supplements section and links, but it doesn't seem as clear as the routines in the OP as far as recommending an actual regimen (unless I'm just not seeing it). Is there a consensus on what is actually really helpful for supplements and what isn't?

It sounds like I'll need to go for the whey post-routine powders since I have been at a pretty good weight for sedentary and can't really imagine eating enough protein from food alone. But creatine? Omega-3s and multivitamins? Or do I wait a little bit before adding those on top of protein as a beginner?

wanna be like this in 6
months/
years

Szu

Okay, I have a question already. I read the supplements section and links, but it doesn't seem as clear as the routines in the OP as far as recommending an actual regimen (unless I'm just not seeing it). Is there a consensus on what is actually really helpful for supplements and what isn't?

It sounds like I'll need to go for the whey post-routine powders since I have been at a pretty good weight for sedentary and can't really imagine eating enough protein from food alone. But creatine? Omega-3s and multivitamins? Or do I wait a little bit before adding those on top of protein as a beginner?

wanna be like this in 6
months/
years

If you can't get enough protein from food, then whey powder is a good alternative.

I wouldn't worry about the supplements at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom