• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if Rippetoe is looked down upon in here should we update the OP? I do agree with watching Thrall videos. Dude is super knowledgeable and makes really helpful videos.

edit: Also we should put Thrall in the next OP.

My main problem with Rippetoe's videos is that he takes 10 minutes to get across what Thrall can do in thirty seconds. Maybe he's a touch too scientific for me, I can't say I've paid enough attention to him to judge.

BumRush

eliteFTS is God's gift to anyone that has bad form. Shit will fix you fast.

Chocobro, probably in the 16-18% range on your BF.

Brolic, yeah 20 degrees is way too fucking cold for a workout.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well if Rippetoe is looked down upon in here should we update the OP? I do agree with watching Thrall videos. Dude is super knowledgeable and makes really helpful videos.

edit: Also we should put Thrall in the next OP.

No, because rippetoe is still a base of knowledge. It's just the be all end all. And the underlying message of "do the program as it's supposed to be done, and linear progression" is important. Also understating the movements is also key. However, there are better ways.

If you aren't in this reading as much as possible, I question your motivation. I'm always reading and learning new things.

eliteFTS is God's gift to anyone that has bad form. Shit will fix you fast.

Chocobro, probably in the 16-18% range on your BF.

Brolic, yeah 20 degrees is way too fucking cold for a workout.

Yeah, that's why I did an extended warm up and bundled up!

Chocobro

We don't need to necessarily update the OP. All of the recommended videos to watch that are suggested are in my Evernote link, which is in the OP. Not sure how many people actually clicks on the link and goes through the videos though.

BTW, thanks MrOogieBoogie and BumRush.

Sadetar

When I get up after laying down for a bit the dizzyness is getting worse. Once in a while I have honestly worried I will will pass out. It got worse after I got back to my regular more strict diet. I assume it will get better after my body gets used to it again. I have mentioned about this earlier also and I think we established it is nothing to worry about, but most likely my blood pressure is just a bit lower than it used to be.

Sadetar always bringing some extra positivity here :)
Awwwwwwww. Thank you so much! That was honestly one of the nicest things anybody have ever said to me! ^_^ I totally love this thread, it has been so encouraging to me and I am extremely happy to hear if I can give at least some of it back.

No it's not numb, it's more like soreness. If I flex my lower abs (as if you try to push them out), I feel it. The reason I think it might be lifting related is because I have felt that in the past, but I wasn't working out regularly as I do now.

I have a meeting with a doctor at the end of the month, I'll go over that and a few other things.
Oh I was referring that the odd feelings wouldn't have needed to be lift related.

Good that you are seeing a doctor. Ask his/her opinion about it. My herniated disk started with random odd feelings and some numbness but I was stupid enough not to pay any attention to them back then. Hopefully yours isn't anything that serious. :)

Awesome day lifting outside with a bunch of dudes from my gym. February in Florida and it's 70 and sunny. I look tiny and pale compared to these monsters.

http://instagram.com/p/y2W75vOBq0/
Nonsense. You look hot as hell, so shush.

I'd also suggest Infinity Patriot to keep the selfie madness and comparisons at a minimum (not in the thread or forum, but in his life).

we all know it's fun to take pics, compare and share and what not but the focus is in the lifts, the activity itself and he seems a bit obsessed with the pic thing.

put the focus somewhere else, not in the pics.
I understand what you mean, but what I have gathered he is going through some rough times and just needs some extra motivation and mood lifting. I guess the pics are just his way of coping and trying to get his mind out of the bad stuff.

Honestly, getting myself to walk in there is the hardest part about lifting right now. But seeing you doing bike marathons, Sean hitting DL PRs every time out, Brolic putting an NFL linebacker in a sack and carrying him around his house, TheyTookOurJobz looking shredded as hell, etc. and I man up and head in...
Lol. I love the way you are describing people in here. :p

I admit I also use this place to seek motivation when I am feeling lazy. Works like a dream every time. :D

Had a really good workout today, so I decided to share a pic.

jp3yOFgcNgTnl.jpg

Been really incorporating gymnastics work into my routine again.

Was surprisingly able to hit a couple muscle-ups, as well as a back lever and prolonged L-sit despite not really doing any calisthenics in months due to being on a bulk/strength routine. This was on top of squatting and power cleaning.

However, I'm lowering my caloric intake for a month or two to kill some of the fat. On that there IF, and for the first time in a LONG time I worked out completely fasted, and felt very strong.
Gymnastics and calisthenics are damn impressive. I am always in awe when someone has awesome body control. Calisthenics is something I wish I am able to start doing after my back doesn't hurt as much, my overall fitness level is higher and I weight a bit less.

Also appreciate the pic. :)

Mr. X

Thank you fitgaf for being motivating. Was feeling down due to irl shit and weather (sup northeast). Like I was sleeping 10-12 hours and wake up tired, eating like crap, missed the gym for like a week or 2 which didnt help.

All the new PRs being hit, selfies, vids and stories yall share knocked me out that funk.

Also, smore quest bar is legit. Xsport gym has them on sale for 30% off whatever markup which made them 27. Not bad since I can take whatever 12 bars I like. their gold standard whey is marked same price as amazon and on sale.

BumRush

Thank you fitgaf for being motivating. Was feeling down due to irl shit and weather (sup northeast). Like I was sleeping 10-12 hours and wake up tired, eating like crap, missed the gym for like a week or 2 which didnt help.

All the new PRs being hit, selfies, vids and stories yall share knocked me out that funk.

Also, smore quest bar is legit. Xsport gym has them on sale for 30% off whatever markup which made them 27. Not bad since I can take whatever 12 bars I like. their gold standard whey is marked same price as amazon and on sale.

Good to hear brother. Sometimes that's all it takes. What does your workout look like? What are you trying to accomplish?

Wanace

I've lost about 20 lbs over the past 3 months just from eating less and now when I look in the mirror I notice how skinny my upper body is and how weak I look.

I am a member at a gym and so I decided to use some of the weight machines so I can start to change that.

I know free weights and stuff are better but I have no friends to help me out and I feel more comfortable using the machines.

Problem is I don't know how many sets/reps to be doing. I haven't worked out in probably 15 years and I'm weak as shit. I sat at the "bench press" machine, I don't remember what it's called, but basically you sit and push the weight forward like you would if you were bench pressing. I could do 90 lbs 5 times before I couldn't do any more.

Problem is I don't know how many sets/reps to be doing. I haven't worked out in probably 15 years and I'm weak as shit. Any advice?

Wanace

Read the OP?

Does that apply to machines too? It seems that's free weights, I'm really clueless.

And to fill out the other info:

36 years old, 197 cm, 87 kg, goal is to not look like the kid who gets sand kicked in his face.

I do 30 minutes on an elliptical machine 4-5 times a week, and occasionally some running thrown in.

BumRush

Does that apply to machines too? It seems that's free weights, I'm really clueless.

36 years old, 197 cm, 87 kg, goal is to not look like the kid who gets sand kicked in his face.

I do 30 minutes on an elliptical machine 4-5 times a week, and occasionally some running thrown in.

to be honest, I don't know how much advice you'll get on here about the machines.

the form is already given to you, so there's not much advice to give. The best advice for you, would be to get over your fear of using free weights. The compound lifts will give you way better gains than any machine.

Whilst machines are not ideal, the rep / set ranges would still count no matter what you're using.

...and you don't need friends to help you out with free weights, just for what it's worth. The only exercise that's technically required for would be bench most likely anyway (assuming you have access to a squat rack for squats). Even so, you could do dumbell bench presses instead if you were worried about crushing yourself on failure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Cherrywoodfuton, you know who to run your next film by before you release it. So many critical dudes here about your cinematography lol

BumRush

Anyone here have any luck making a homemade dip stand? The animal in me used to love finishing every chest workout with 3 sets of weighted dips to failure and not being able to do that in my garage is frustrating...

Sadetar

Anyone here have any luck making a homemade dip stand? The animal in me used to love finishing every chest workout with 3 sets of weighted dips to failure and not being able to do that in my garage is frustrating...
...I am such a failure today. Before I managed to finish your text I already had a very strong mental image that you are planning to throw a party and wanted to do something like this:
e3d2e2d32aed6db2400ffac242ebac6a.jpg

I could have been way more helpful if that would have been the case.

Like said in here, I would also suggest you to start with free weights and follow the OP, but if you want, I guess I could scan you the programm that I used to use when I was still using machines. You can stick with it a month or two so your muscles get used to working out and then start free weights. The info is in Finnish, but there are pretty pictures included. :p Also if you don't understand something, I could translate and explain it to you.

If you are trying to get bigger and not leaner, don't do too much cardio. You can do like five minutes to warm up before lifting, but you don't really need more than that.

I like those S'more ones! :p They are delicious.

Also good for you for finding your inner motivation again. Just keep at it! :D

BumRush

...I am such a failure today. Before I managed to finish your text I already had a very strong mental image that you are planning to throw a party and wanted to do something like this:
e3d2e2d32aed6db2400ffac242ebac6a.jpg

I could have been way more helpful if that would have been the case.

hahaha, amazing!

Max effort upper body today. I'm thinking military press or wide grip paused bench.

Do that wide grip pause press. So good.

Rilakkuma

Neo Member
Anyone good recommendations for fish oil brands I can buy online? Been buying the drugstore brand but if there's something as good and as cheap online I'd like to try it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I can barely fit into my work jeans right now. March 1st will officially be the start of Operation bring the Abs back!

ILoveBish

After months of research, I've finally bought a electric kettle I've had my eyes on. Cuisinart cpk17, come to papa. The kettle I have now is jank. Really love tea but it is so much effort to use a thermometer to measure it out.

Anyone good recommendations for fish oil brands I can buy online? Been buying the drugstore brand but if there's something as good and as cheap online I'd like to try it.

Nordic naturals is considered one of the best. Not cheap though.

I can barely fit into my work jeans right now. March 1st will officially be the start of Operation bring the Abs back!

Fattyfatfatfat!

/looks down and weeps

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

LMAO

I went "jeans" fitting one day with a gf. She thought it was weird that I didn't wear jeans and said my ass and legs would look amazing in them. I told her finding a pair that fits well with the weight fluctuations is near impossible... She handed me a pair of size 38 and I laughed as the waist didn't even get half way up my legs. I stick with track pants or hiking style pants.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
LMAO

I went "jeans" fitting one day with a gf. She thought it was weird that I didn't wear jeans and said my ass and legs would look amazing in them. I told her finding a pair that fits well with the weight fluctuations is near impossible... She handed me a pair of size 38 and I laughed as the waist didn't even get half way up my legs. I stick with track pants or hiking style pants.
I can only imagine the trouble you and Spiritreaver have. My legs are a miniature version of yours and it's annoying. Not being able to get 38s past your legs is some crazy shit though.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I can only imagine the trouble you and Spiritreaver have. My legs are a miniature version of yours and it's annoying. Not being able to get 38s past your legs is some crazy shit though.

Spirit is the quad GOAT but you have some solid tree trunks too.

My legs are 27.5", which is remarkable considering they deflated so much during my injury. My waist is 38" at 198 right now so my legs don't appear big just my ass :(

Bleh, I have pain in my right calf and it's properly freaking me out. Ever since my DVT any pain there scares the shit out of me. I've popped some pain killers and I'm really praying it's nothing. I did spend about 20 hours sat in a chair working on the weekend though, so it's not out of the question. =/

Cudder

For the last year and a half every single pair of pants I own tears/rips at the crotch area over time because of my thighs rubbing together. Every. single. one. It's fucking maddening, man. I'm at least trying to make it to summer without having to buy any more pants but I'm down to 2 pairs.

For the last year and a half every single pair of pants I own tears/rips at the crotch area over time because of my thighs rubbing together. Every. single. one. It's fucking maddening, man. I'm at least trying to make it to summer without having to buy any more pants but I'm down to 2 pairs.
Just wait until you rip a pair of jeans straight down the leg, crotch to calf.

Good times.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just wait until you rip a pair of jeans straight down the leg, crotch to calf.

Good times.

Seeing your pic reminded me, anyone seen Wufei recently? You're a dead ringer for him and it jogged my memory. Hope he's doing alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom