• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

I got the most interesting comment from this awesome powerlifter lady at my gym.

She told me that I looked like Asian Kevin Spacey with a buff body.

BTW, this lady is, pound for pound, the strongest person in my gym. This is her back in 2012. She competes in the 60 kg weight class. She was probably 60 years old in this video.

http://youtu.be/iruBr3ph5Yk

Mr. X

It seems like you have the "big 4" in there (bench, squat, DL, OHP). If I were you - and if you want to continue doing THAT many leg accessory exercises - I'd move DL to your pull day. Also, I'm a huge fan of having an "a" schedule and a "b" schedule for accesories.

For example, today I did 5 sets of bench and 4 of OHP, with incline DB, incline Fly, upright rows and shrugs. When I do the "b" version I will still do my bench and OHP sets, but I will do triceps extensions, lateral raises, front raises and dips.

If you stick to such a rigid schedule with the accesories you will overwork some parts and underwork others.
This is funny because anytime after legs, my legs are so stiff the next day, I wonder if I might be doing too much. Next day is immediately a rest day most times, cardio like that just doesnt go well.

I'll definitely try DL on pull day and see how I am the day after and how I am after leg day w/o DL.

A and B schedules: Do I have that many exercises? I thought they were for targeting areas the primary exercises hit secondary or tertiary.

Thanks.

Heysoos

Somewhat off topic but I was reading some of yesterday's posts and more specifically the jeans talk. Today I noticed I can fit all four of my fingers pretty comfortably between me and my pants, I can also fit my thumb but it gets a little tight at that point.. Should be a safe bet that I need to go down in size right? I'm currently wearing 34s. So, 32s?

Hey guys, I wanted to share what has recently become one of my favorite strength blogs.

It's called Strength Theory and it's (mostly) written by a dude named Greg Nuckols, who not only is smart as hell but also disgustingly strong .

It's a great read.

Thanks for the link it looks like a good blog.

I got the most interesting comment from this awesome powerlifter lady at my gym.

She told me that I looked like Asian Kevin Spacey with a buff body.

BTW, this lady is, pound for pound, the strongest person in my gym. This is her back in 2012. She competes in the 60 kg weight class. She was probably 60 years old in this video.

http://youtu.be/iruBr3ph5Yk

Holy shit that woman is impressive.

BumRush

This is funny because anytime after legs, my legs are so stiff the next day, I wonder if I might be doing too much. Next day is immediately a rest day most times, cardio like that just doesnt go well.

I'll definitely try DL on pull day and see how I am the day after and how I am after leg day w/o DL.

A and B schedules: Do I have that many exercises? I thought they were for targeting areas the primary exercises hit secondary or tertiary.

Thanks.

I think your program is good. I'm a really big fan of constantly switching my accessories. You have chest fly. That's excellent. I'd do heavy pec deck one week, HiLo cable fly super-set the next, incline DB fly the next, etc. It will keep your muscles constantly guessing.

The BIG caveat is that you should ALWAYS be doing your compounds first and focusing your workouts around them and increasing the weight as time goes on (which it seems like you're doing).

BumRush

Had a doctor appointment last night and my BP is way too high (hereditary, unfortunately). My diet is on point but I have definitely been slacking on my workouts lately (2-3 days / week vs. the 5-6 / week I was doing before my baby girl was born).

The doctor would obviously rather not put me on BP medication yet (I'm 31) so she prescribed more workouts PLUS more vigorous workouts. She effectively told me to stop being a pussy and workout 5+ times a week again.

Thanks doc, best prescription ever.

CrankyJay

Banned
Had a doctor appointment last night and my BP is way too high (hereditary, unfortunately). My diet is on point but I have definitely been slacking on my workouts lately (2-3 days / week vs. the 5-6 / week I was doing before my baby girl was born).

The doctor would obviously rather not put me on BP medication yet (I'm 31) so she prescribed more workouts PLUS more vigorous workouts. She effectively told me to stop being a pussy and workout 5+ times a week again.

Thanks doc, best prescription ever.

interesting...i guess it depends entirely on the doc.

if you don't mind, what kind of BP are we talking about here?

Mr. X

I think your program is good. I'm a really big fan of constantly switching my accessories. You have chest fly. That's excellent. I'd do heavy pec deck one week, HiLo cable fly super-set the next, incline DB fly the next, etc. It will keep your muscles constantly guessing.

The BIG caveat is that you should ALWAYS be doing your compounds first and focusing your workouts around them and increasing the weight as time goes on (which it seems like you're doing).
I see now.

This confirms OHP should be done earlier on push day too.

Thx again.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Somewhat off topic but I was reading some of yesterday's posts and more specifically the jeans talk. Today I noticed I can fit all four of my fingers pretty comfortably between me and my pants, I can also fit my thumb but it gets a little tight at that point.. Should be a safe bet that I need to go down in size right? I'm currently wearing 34s. So, 32s?
This is all preference. Depends how you like your jeans to fit. Based on your description 32s would probably fit just fine.

BumRush

Damn, and I'm worried about my 130/90...

I never realized hereditary high BP could cause such high numbers.

At lest your bottom number looks decent.

Yeah, I didn't either but the doctor said I've been able to negate the impact by being in such good shape (for the last 3 years I've been around 8%-10% BF with a great diet, running 1,000 miles a year and lifting heavy for about an hour a day 6 days a week). Now that I've relaxed my exercise routine, the BP has skyrocketed (plus work is insane right now).

Just another reason to get back on the horse and start hitting 6 days a week again.

This confirms OHP should be done earlier on push day too.

Always do compound lifts first. You'll get the most out of them by being focused and being able to go heavy. Leave accessory work to the end, if at all.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, I didn't either but the doctor said I've been able to negate the impact by being in such good shape (for the last 3 years I've been around 8%-10% BF with a great diet, running 1,000 miles a year and lifting heavy for about an hour a day 6 days a week). Now that I've relaxed my exercise routine, the BP has skyrocketed (plus work is insane right now).

Just another reason to get back on the horse and start hitting 6 days a week again.
Damn right! Give that little girl a healthy (ripped) positive male influence.

After some considerations, I decided that I'm going to purchase my first Whey Protein Powder, so I don't have to consistently eat a lot of eggs and canned Salmon like I usually do(too much sodium in canned Salmon). I'm planing on buying the 5 pound Whey Protein power, but I do have some questions.

The average scoop of Whey Protein is 25g of Protein. My plan is to get 100g of Whey Protein per day. With that being said, how long would a 5 pound of Why Protein last? Most brands of Whey Protein appears to be in the 3 and 5 pound varieties . I'm hoping it last for a month.

Lastly, Fit-Gaf is great! I wish I had joined this forum years ago :)

Faiz

After some considerations, I decided that I'm going to purchase my first Whey Protein Powder, so I don't have to consistently eat a lot of eggs and canned Salmon like I usually do(too much sodium in canned Salmon). I'm planing on buying the 5 pound Whey Protein power, but I do have some questions.

The average scoop of Whey Protein is 25g of Protein. My plan is to get 100g of Whey Protein per day. With that being said, how long would a 5 pound of Why Protein last? Most brands of Whey Protein appears to be in the 3 and 5 pound varieties . I'm hoping it last for a month.

Lastly, Fit-Gaf is great! I wish I had joined this forum years ago :)

Well, obviously ot depends on how much you use it. I generally stick to two scoops on days I lift (so 8 scoops a week). A five pound tub will last me months.

Edit: oh hi, I missed the part where you said 100g per day. ;_; agree with others, that sounds excessive.

MrMuscle

Fair play, that's a properly slow bulk. I'm fairly accurate with my calories but I think I'd struggle to gain such a small amount per week.

Hehe yeah it does require me do tweak my diet often, but to me its the only way of doing it. Luckily i get to keep my refeed every week, i should buy stock in all ice cream companies in Norway!

10413033_282098571961927_1286626508_n.jpg

Also Mr. Muscle you're my fucking hero. I want your physique.

Thank you bro! I really appreciate that.

My plan is to use the Whey Protein everyday. What amount do you guys personally recommend? I guess I could purchased some Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese to help lower the amount of my Whey Protein intake.

BumRush

My plan is to use the Whey Protein everyday. What amount do you guys personally recommend? I guess I could purchased some Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese to help lower the amount of my Whey Protein intake.

Well how are you going to use it? Meal replacement? After workout? I have 2-3 scoops daily (25grams per)...2 on off days, 3 on lift days. That's probably the max I'd recommend unless you're on some next level bulk right now.

Mr. X

Nike.com
Shorts
Sort: Price $-$$

Eastbay has their own brand of clothes as well as Nike, Adidas, etc.

Finish Line has some shorts on clearance.

Well how are you going to use it? Meal replacement? After workout? I have 2-3 scoops daily (25grams per)...2 on off days, 3 on lift days. That's probably the max I'd recommend unless you're on some next level bulk right now.

It's primarily for after workout. My goal is to get 200g+ protein on lifting days and I was planing on using Whey, Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese as my main protein sources.

I do have another question though regarding protein. I'm eating around 200g of Protein of lifting days, do I eat the same amount of non-lifting days? I was hoping to do maybe 120-140 of Protein on non-lifting days.

I wish I could be in the bulking phase, but I need to cut back sadly :(

BumRush

It's primarily for after workout. My goal is to get 200g+ protein on lifting days and I was planing on using Whey, Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese as my main protein sources.

I do have another question though regarding protein. I'm eating around 200g of Protein of lifting days, do I eat the same amount of non-lifting days? I was hoping to do maybe 120-140 of Protein on non-lifting days.

I wish I could be in the bulking phase, but I need to cut back sadly :(

Are you a vegetarian? You'll get a lot more protein from chicken, fish and lean meats and not have to drink so many shakes.

Also, how much do you weigh?

167/88 (that was an average of 3 tests)

At home it's been closer to 148/85 the last week or so.

Me and you are in the same predicament.

Diagnosed with hypertension at a young age (29). My highest bp was 180/100. After numerous tests (CTs and Ultrasounds) my doc determined it to be hereditary (my mom also has hypertension and my dad underwent an endarterectomy for vessel stenosis)

I do take meds though but ever since i started lifting my current avg bp is lower than ever (120-140s systolic)

Are you a vegetarian? You'll get a lot more protein from chicken, fish and lean meats and not have to drink so many shakes.

Also, how much do you weigh?

I'm not a vegetarian and I weigh 260lbs at 6"2 with a large frame. I was 277 last year before fall and got down to 255lbs in December. However I started Stronglift in January(first strength based routine for me) and I guess I picked up muscle and fat :(

I do eat chicken and Fish, but just grilled chicken from fast food and canned Salmon.

Chocobro

Some of you guys take quite a bit more whey protein than I do lol. I take like 0.4 scoop every day for dinner with a cup of milk. The bulk of my protein comes from chicken, tilapia, two cups of milk, serving of PB, and that bit of whey protein.

BGA, how long a tub will last based on the number of servings and the serving size in it. For the ON Mocha Cappuccino whey protein I got not too long ago has 71 servings and a serving size is 32g. That means there's (approximately) 2272g of whey protein. Divide that number by the amount you take per day and you'll get the number of days that tub will last you.

I'm not a vegetarian and I weigh 260lbs at 6"2 with a large frame. I was 277 last year before fall and got down to 255lbs in December. However I started Stronglift in January(first strength based routine for me) and I guess I picked up muscle and fat :(

I do eat chicken and Fish, but just grilled chicken from fast food and canned fish.

Buy fresh chicken and fish in bulk instead and get a george forman grill. Making your own food is way less expensive than eating out (even fast food). Plus canned fish has lots of sodium.

Buy fresh chicken and fish in bulk instead and get a george forman grill. Making your own food is way less expensive than eating out (even fast food). Plus canned fish has lots of sodium.

That was one of the reason why I decided to stop eating canned Salmon due to the ridiculous amount of sodium.

With regards to the George Foreman grill, do I have to buy only flat shaped chicken for it to fit? I don't see a big chicken breast fitting properly underneath the George Foreman grill, but I may be wrong though :)

Faiz

That was one of the reason why I decided to stop eating canned Salmon due to the ridiculous amount of sodium.

With regards to the George Foreman grill, do I have to buy only flat shaped chicken for it to fit? I don't see a big chicken breast fitting properly underneath the george foreman grill, but I may be wrong though :)

You know you can flatten chicken breasts yourself, right? It's not difficult, place it between some plastic wrap and pound it with a meat mallet/tenderizer.

Or you can cut slice them thin, which takes a little more practice but also isn't difficult.

BumRush

I do eat chicken and Fish, but just grilled chicken from fast food and canned Salmon.

200 grams of protein seems reasonable for you then, although I would try to get less than half of it from whey.

I definitely have more protein on lift days (probably 20%-30% more), but I'm honestly not sure if that's the popular opinion on here.

Me and you are in the same predicament.

Diagnosed with hypertension at a young age (29). My highest bp was 180/100. After numerous tests (CTs and Ultrasounds) my doc determined it to be hereditary (my mom also has hypertension and my dad underwent an endarterectomy for vessel stenosis)

I do take meds though but ever since i started lifting my current avg bp is lower than ever (120-140s systolic)

Damn, so you do take meds? I'm trying to avoid that.

You know you can flatten chicken breasts yourself, right? It's not difficult, place it between some plastic wrap and pound it with a meat mallet/tenderizer.

Or you can cut slice them thin, which takes a little more practice but also isn't difficult.

Thanks for the advice! My main issue with cooking food is due to the amount of time it takes to cook food, but I forgot that I have a foreman grill. It's been a while since I use it, so I'm going to see if it works before buying some lean chicken and other meats.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So i decided to start a little cut this week. Ive slowly been putting on weight as was my plan. Ive been eating a caloric surplus for a while (i think at least 6 months) and ive gone up around 5kgs. So its been slow going (again as planned) and hopefully ive put on 0,5-1kg solid muscle, after lifting for 20 years that would be quite a feat!

My shape is pretty good already so im expecting the cut to be quite smooth. And to be honest, cutting is as easy as training to me, i really enjoy the process. Im aiming for a max weight loss of 0,5kg a week. But im not really concerned with the weight, ill use skinfold measurements and body measurements (and the mirror) to make sure everything is proceeding as planned.

All in all this is just for shit and giggles and to give me a new goal. I lack the gene to care about my lifts and strength. So even though i probably should be way more concerned with performance over appearance, i just dont :D

This is me now at 90kgs

Im aiming at this shape, maybe a bit tighter. Here i am 87,5kgs, so if i do things right, 6-8 weeks of cutting should get me there without to much muscle loss.

Damn, son! MrMuscle indeed!

Thanks for the advice! My main issue with cooking food is due to the amount of time it takes to cook food, but I forgot that I have a foreman grill. It's been a while since I use it, so I'm going to see if it works before buying some lean chicken and other meats.

Slow cooker. Chuck a bunch of ingredients in there in the morning, come home to a huge portion of deliciousness.

ILoveBish

MrMuscle is too amazing, glad you're here to show how keeping such low bf% can be done.

Hit the gym today and got 3x170 on overhead press. I'll be honest that the last rep was tough, but I got it very clean once I tightened up, was very loose. The music i had on at the time wasn't hyping me up so i wasn't very tight, will need to work on that. Overall a successful day at the gym.

Just noticed that I started weightlifting exactly one year today.

Starting weights: Squat 175, Bench 125, Deadlift 155

Personal records since then: Squat 325, Bench 215, Deadlift 350

Pretty good for one year I think!

Damn, so you do take meds? I'm trying to avoid that.

My doc is a little more aggressive given my bp before meds (would regularly be in the 160/90s). I take an ARB (Avapro) and Nifedipine with exercise and a low sodium diet and it seems to work out.

Do you take your blood pressure regularly?

BumRush

Just noticed that I started weightlifting exactly one year today.

Starting weights: Squat 175, Bench 125, Deadlift 155

Personal records since then: Squat 325, Bench 215, Deadlift 350

Pretty good for one year I think!

Very impressive, dude. Almost 100% across the board.

Also, looking amazing MrMuscle.

My doc is a little more aggressive given my bp before meds (would regularly be in the 160/90s). I take an ARB (Avapro) and Nifedipine with exercise and a low sodium diet and it seems to work out.

Do you take your blood pressure regularly?

I hadn't been, but the doctor was pretty bummed out and she said before my next appointment (6 weeks) I have to track it every day, eat well, exercise often and drink hibiscus tea.

I hadn't been, but the doctor was pretty bummed out and she said before my next appointment (6 weeks) I have to track it every day, eat well, exercise often and drink hibiscus tea.
Hopefully your bp will correct itself through exercise and diet.

If it doesn't don't get scared of taking medications. You don't want to live with high bp and the complications that come with it (heart failure, heart attacks, stroke, etc). Just make sure your doctor doesn't prescribe beta blockers (because one of the side effects is a limp dick)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So i decided to start a little cut this week. Ive slowly been putting on weight as was my plan. Ive been eating a caloric surplus for a while (i think at least 6 months) and ive gone up around 5kgs. So its been slow going (again as planned) and hopefully ive put on 0,5-1kg solid muscle, after lifting for 20 years that would be quite a feat!

My shape is pretty good already so im expecting the cut to be quite smooth. And to be honest, cutting is as easy as training to me, i really enjoy the process. Im aiming for a max weight loss of 0,5kg a week. But im not really concerned with the weight, ill use skinfold measurements and body measurements (and the mirror) to make sure everything is proceeding as planned.

All in all this is just for shit and giggles and to give me a new goal. I lack the gene to care about my lifts and strength. So even though i probably should be way more concerned with performance over appearance, i just dont :D

This is me now at 90kgs

Im aiming at this shape, maybe a bit tighter. Here i am 87,5kgs, so if i do things right, 6-8 weeks of cutting should get me there without to much muscle loss.

Looking great, man. About how often do you train per week and how many calories do you consume daily?

Sadetar

thanks Sadetar, you've told me a couple of time this, that I look totally different from a year ago but I hardly ever see it, some pics make good comparisons but day on day, it's just same me all I see.

what I mean is that I want to break throught the "newb phase", regarding physique.

I want more size, definition, strength, you know, what we are all looking for, I think that by the 4th or 5th training year I'll be nearer from what I have in mind.
Hahah, I think I need to say it enough many times for you to start to acknowledge it as well. :p

I understand what you mean though. I see no changes in myself either (lately there has been none to be honest, I should really get back to cutting instead of this maintaining). I am in the same boat with you in a way and I can't really wait to see what I will loook like after couple more solid years of working out and eating right.

Pb&j anything is great
There must be something badly wrong with me since I haven't yet found a peanut butter product that I could say I would enjoy eating.

Holy shit, that 'body dysmorphia' psychotext posted about a few pages back is REAL.

Remember how I said I thought I didn't look any different?

Well, I compared some pics I took in my underwear before starting lifting to ones I just took after tonight's session and the changes are ridiculous.

Your mind can play tricks on you, but physical evidence doesn't lie.

-Arms easily look ~30% larger.

-Even though I put on 15 pounds, my waist size is down from 33 to 31.

-Got much more definition in my jaw line, traps, pecs, and lats.

-Quads are bulging out of my boxer briefs.

Man, I am so grateful I randomly stumbled into this thread, because it has certainly changed my life for the better!
Oh this place certainly is a life changer. <3

Also well done! Those sounds absolutely brilliant changes and it is awesome to hear that photo comparison have helped you notice them yourself too. Any chances of sharing that awesomeness with us as well? ^_^

This is me now at 90kgs

I love it that you always have that wide smile in your pics. :D

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your body as it is, but I guess you just want to play with it. ;) You look as good as always. I should get serious with my cut as well, but damn I hate counting calories and I should do it to figure out new daily dishes to stuck with.

...even though I should totally hate you after that ice cream comment and pic. :p

Down another solid pound, 241.5 as of this morning. Feeling really good still.
Good for you! Always happy to hear that you are progressing. Motivates me as well. I should really, really get my diet in order again.

My waist was actually smaller than it is now when I have had over 100 clean days without any cheats compared to now, even if I now actually weight less. Lower carbs just seem to work with me better. I should just kick myself to calculate myself new daily intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom