• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

I dislike my current pilates trainer and checked a new gym today since if offers also pilates classes. Pilates itself was absolutely awesome but I am not totally convinced by the gym. It wasn't bad, but it was a bit odd. Or maybe I am just stupid and don't know how to properly use all the equipments. What all fancy things you can do for example with a trampoline?

It's really worth your time to get your food in order. Once you get something going you eat often, counting becomes very easy. I'm down to about 1400 or so calories a day now, down to a 5 hour window of eating, still feel plenty strong and lots of energy. Body is adapting very well. The less you cheat, the easier it gets. Stopping the cheat meals for me is what helped me adapt quickly.
Thanks for the support Bish!

I am back on track. Today I actually did awesome lemon-pesto salmon with broccoli. It was soooo delicious. I will try for a week or two to eat healthy and relatively low carbs (yet delicious) and if that seems to be working and I don't feel that bloated anymore, I will just count the things I ate and stick with them. If it doesn't seem to be working, I will just make smaller portions.

Squat 425x3x3 today. These gains be outta control!
You never disappoint! That is awesome! :D

I like the idea of you being totally out of control. ;)

Haha thanks. One of the first thing i learned was "always smile when flexing". It makes such a big difference on stage (and on instagram :D).

Yeah I am a perfectionist when it comes to my physique, i need to feel good or else why am i doing this? Counting calories arent always needed, but my personal thoughts are that they are essential for optimal results.

You know you love my freezer!
That smile is definitely working for your! Hahah, I might need to try it out myself too and get over the idea that I hate my smile. :p

Well I guess that when a person has a physique like yours it is challenging to make it any better so working with optimal calories is important. I am still such a baby at the gym, that to me it is most likely enough that it is somewhat right.

Oh and I am madly in love with your freezer. It is extremely tempting. I already imagine myself cuddling up with in and spending long nights next to it. ;)

I remember when my weakest meant I could DL 500 lbs 6 ti--

Wait.
Lol.

But with all seriousness, I have no idea how Brolic does it. He seems to always be on total beast mode.

Been sick the last few days. Haven't eaten much of anything. Already down 6 lbs. I know it is water weight but honestly, I thought I had more muscle/fat than that. Annoying more than anything.

In any case, prolly taking the week off. I feel dead.
Poor babe. You must be totally sick, if you haven't been eating that much. Hopefully you feel better soon and can start to eat like FE normally eats.

bchamba

Max effort lower body today, worked up to a 455 lb deadlift off a 3.5 inch deficit. Longest grinder ever and required a slight hitch when it got caught on my shorts.

Chocobro

This had me curious and apparently the only difference is the placement if the feet. Military has your feet together, standard press is shoulder width.

No.

No.

Yes. Like you're standing to attention. In the military. For overhead press you use whatever stance suits you best, which is,like you said, generally around shoulder width.

Huh, interesting. Thought it was used interchangeably.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Practically every heavy session in the gym I'm hitting PRs. Freaking incredible.

330x4 bench and 130x7 DB incline today.

330x4 bench and 130x7 DB incline today.

Those dumbbell numbers blow my mind. I don't know if it's somehow related to breaking both my collar bones back in the day, but I can't do shit when dumbbell pressing. Not even half that.

I don't struggle nearly as much with a bar (though still a weakling by comparison).

Husker86

My next house needs to have 9 foot ceilings in the basement. Brought back overhead press into my routine, but have to do it seated. Contrary to what I thought, I'm pretty sure I can't do as much seated as I could standing--and no, I was very careful about not using my legs to give the press extra momentum when standing ;)

Cooter

You never disappoint! That is awesome! :D

I like the idea of you being totally out of control. ;)
That's my secret...I'm always out of control.

that_s_my_secret.jpg

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Did 375 1x8 then 315/325/335x8. I figure this might be best since the last 3x8 left me fried, plus my lower back is hurting from sitting on my ass so much. :(

So I started weighted dips and pullups last week, WHY THE HELL WASNT I DOING THESE ALL THE TIME!!! I feel great and making decent progress every session

I started on 5kg for both doing 5x5 and I've since added +10kg to my Dip and +7kg to my pullups

ILoveBish

Anything significantly fucked up about my skwat?
http://youtu.be/iPmEjE7I5CM
255 lbs x 5
And my press?
http://youtu.be/TNVdcScoS70
145 x 5

It's the right aspect ratio this time for you film critics :)

Now that you've fixed the AR, i can give these videos a fair watch.

Your squat, when you're going back up, the weight is making you lean forward and causing you to lose balance. The bar should be going up and down on a strait line. You're also looking at a mirror it looks like, which is a horrible idea when squatting. You want to feel the balance of the bar never really change, and watching yourself will hurt that bigtime. You've also got the bar too high, you have to use your calves to get the bar in place once you're done, and that is yet again a horrible idea.

Fixes:

Change position so that you're looking away from mirrors, fix balance of the weight so that its going up/down in a strait line, and set the bar lower so that you squat it up and out of the starting position.

Press looks fine other then the starting position being too high on the rack, lower it a bit.

MrMuscle

There is a Frank Zane interview up on Flexonline, its short and sweet. I love to hear these guys talk about how they worked out and ate. These days we all get caught up in studies and science to get the most out of our training. But these guys somehow figured out what worked best for them. Inspiring to say the least.

http://www.flexonline.com/training/pro-advice/qa-bodybuilding-legend-frank-zane

This is my favorite thing in the whole write up:

FRANK ZANE: Ideally, I’d like to not have to change it too much. I was never a big carbohydrate freak. There were always fewer carbohydrates in my diet than protein. I kept protein at one gram per pound of body weight, usually between 190–200 grams per day. My carbohydrates stayed between 70–150 grams, and fat made up around 25% of my total calories. I never went above 3,000 calories. I’d just get fat doing that.

That is just amazing. If i counted all the times ive gotten chewed out because i keep my calories around 3000 max you wouldnt believe me. Its great to find people who has a similar outlook, especially when he is among one of the best bodybuilders ever.

SeanR1221

Combining Steve P and Chris Duffin tips my squat felt REALLY good last night. Just kept adding weight for singles and hit a PR of 360 with a lot left in the tank. No rush to push it to the absolute max but I'm glad it's feeling better.

Chris Duffin explaining why "chest up" is a bad cue helped a ton.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
There is a Frank Zane interview up on Flexonline, its short and sweet. I love to hear these guys talk about how they worked out and ate. These days we all get caught up in studies and science to get the most out of our training. But these guys somehow figured out what worked best for them. Inspiring to say the least.

http://www.flexonline.com/training/pro-advice/qa-bodybuilding-legend-frank-zane

This is my favorite thing in the whole write up:

That is just amazing. If i counted all the times ive gotten chewed out because i keep my calories around 3000 max you wouldnt believe me. Its great to find people who has a similar outlook, especially when he is among one of the best bodybuilders ever.

Aesthetically , Zane is def what I consider the most ideal look. So its good to get insight from him.

BumRush

Combining Steve P and Chris Duffin tips my squat felt REALLY good last night. Just kept adding weight for singles and hit a PR of 360 with a lot left in the tank. No rush to push it to the absolute max but I'm glad it's feeling better.

Chris Duffin explaining why "chest up" is a bad cue helped a ton.

Sean, can you post some of their advice?

SeanR1221

Sean, can you post some of their advice?

- I crank my elbows down and try to squeeze them together to keep tight.

- I used to shove my chest up at the top. This is WRONG. Chris duffin explains why and you should check out his YouTube videos on it.

- I used to do this hinge back down motion while keeping my "chest up" which put me on my toes pushing me forward

- instead I hinge back, and keep going back on my heels while squatting down. While maintaining that tight core Chris duffin talks about.

- in that position you can do the chest up cue, pushing back into the bar to drive up

BumRush

- I crank my elbows down and try to squeeze them together to keep tight.

- I used to shove my chest up at the top. This is WRONG. Chris duffin explains why and you should check out his YouTube videos on it.

- I used to do this hinge back down motion which put me on my toes pushing me forward

- instead I hinge back, and keep going back on my heels while squatting down.

- in that position you can do the chest up cue, pushing back into the bar to drive up

Excellent advice. I love seeing how much the coaching improved your lifts. That's what PTs should be about...

SeanR1221

Excellent advice. I love seeing how much the coaching improved your lifts. That's what PTs should be about...

You responded too fast lol I edited a couple things in there.

I used to wonder why I'd lean forward and it was that damn chest up cue! It was forcing me to lean forward as I got down.

CrankyJay

Banned

I used to wonder why I'd lean forward and it was that damn chest up cue! It was forcing me to lean forward as I got down.

I will have to try this tomorrow. I have this problem as well. Sitting back on my heels makes me feel like I'm going to topple backwards if I do it too much, feels completely unnatural to me.

BumRush

Haha. I squat again on Monday so I'll try these things and see how it feels. The "elbows in" advice I got on here a while back and even just that is such a drastic change in strength.

Yay for getting sick. At least it gives me time to rework my lifting routine.

edit: elbows in and squeezed mixed with false grip have really helped me on squats.

My homemade preworkout has started to make me shiver... last few days I've really noticed it. Very odd. Have been using the exact same mixture for months without it doing that.

Cooter

I have a confession FitGaf. This isn't meant as advice or anything else. I have lifted weights for 41 straight days. Last day I took off was Jan 1st. It's crazy to even type out. I feel recovered every time it's heavy day and I'm hitting PRs constantly so I just ran with it. I know rest is important but my light days almost feel like a rest day and between my solid sleep and food intake it seems to be working.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have a confession FitGaf. This isn't meant as advice or anything else. I have lifted weights for 41 straight days. Last day I took off was Jan 1st. It's crazy to even type out. I feel recovered every time it's heavy day and I'm hitting PRs constantly so I just ran with it. I know rest is important but my light days almost feel like a rest day and between my solid sleep and food intake it seems to be working.

sounds like you're addicted!

BumRush

Definitely wouldn't recommend it but if it's working for you that's awesome. Two key takeaways are your "solid sleep" and "food intake" which I think a lot of people that try to lift 6-7 days a week forget about.

You're looking great though, brother...keep it up.

What were your lifts like a year ago....and now?

Szu

9301fa707340b2c6b658c1c0b35e2327.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

You've prob posted it already but what is your average daily caloirc intake?

Cooter

Definitely wouldn't recommend it but if it's working for you that's awesome. Two key takeaways are your "solid sleep" and "food intake" which I think a lot of people that try to lift 6-7 days a week forget about.

You're looking great though, brother...keep it up.

What were your lifts like a year ago....and now?

Last year I was fighting nagging injuries so it's not comparable. I'm the strongest I've ever been at the moment though. Once I reduce calories and start leaning out it will go down to 5 days a week.

____

Love that one Szu. You by far make me laugh the most on here. Ha Thanks.

You've prob posted it already but what is your average daily caloirc intake?

Last year I was fighting nagging injuries so it's not comparable. I'm the strongest I've ever been at the moment though. Once I reduce calories and start leaning out it will go down to 5 days a week.

____

Love that one Szu. You by far make me laugh the most on here. Ha Thanks.

I would train 5-6 times a week but not in this cold. Maybe in the summer.

Fox318

I've lost 20 lbs since January just by going to the gym and watching my diet.

Started the Stronglift 5x5 program and its been a while since I've been benchpressing.

I remember enough of the form but should my arms be shaking while lifting? I'm not using too much weight it just feels like I'm not able keep the bar perfectly still like some guys seem to have no problem doing.

BumRush

I've lost 20 lbs since January just by going to the gym and watching my diet.

Started the Stronglift 5x5 program and its been a while since I've been benchpressing.

I remember enough of the form but should my arms be shaking while lifting? I'm not using too much weight it just feels like I'm not able keep the bar perfectly still like some guys seem to have no problem doing.

You have to strengthen your stabilizer muscles. In addition to the bench press, make sure you're working your arms (triceps) and shoulders and do extensive dumbbell accessory chest work. Two exercises I use for strengthening stabilizers are single arm DB chest press and DB chest press drop sets

Checking in with my periodic hatred of leg day. On the bright side, whilst I don't seem to be getting significantly stronger, I am able to do roughly the same stuff at a lower average heart rate.

Hey guys I have a treadmill thst use to lag/stall when running on it

My dad tried to fix it but couldnt

Now it stops when you simpky step on it

Ive tried readjusting the tightness of the tread. This used to fix the stalling issue

Is this a motor problem, a lack of lubrication, or something else?

It really is getting me depressed that I cant run.

iddqd

Sleeping only 5 to 6h (work infused) is totally killing my weight lifting libido.

I can't even bring myself to GO today because it was so horrible on tuesday. Did not even want to finish the third sets of my squats.
Just listless moving of heavy things, no passion!

Hope more sleep after this crunch is done will turn it into super gains.

Szu

Hey guys I have a treadmill thst use to lag/stall when running on it

My dad tried to fix it but couldnt

Now it stops when you simpky step on it

Ive tried readjusting the tightness of the tread. This used to fix the stalling issue

Is this a motor problem, a lack of lubrication, or something else?

It really is getting me depressed that I cant run.

I had a treadmill at home that had a similiar issue, but there wasn't much I could do to it after a while. Eventually, it got too old to use. For me, the main motor just wore out.

I've seen treadmills at my gym that get routine maintanence work done to it. But I don't know the specific causes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh. Today was a mixed day at the gym.

The good:

- Finally reached a new best in deadlifts: 195 lbs. Next week I'll finally break the 200 lbs. barrier (hopefully)!
- Did slightly better than last time on the barbell curls. It was just really one extra rep but hey progress is progress right?

The bad:

- I started off pretty good with my bench. Was lifting more than last time, but completely fucked up the last set. I don't think I even made it to 3 reps when I had to ask some random gym goer to save me. He was cool, but it was pretty embarrassing.

Question: there's nothing wrong with using a mixed grip for a deadlift is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom