• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My brother swears by tricep kickbacks but they make me hurt in all the wrong ways. Feel a big TWANG when I do them also. Bench and dips for my tris, that's all I need.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This guy from Craigslist had tons of used shit in a huge garage. Bought 4 45s, 4 25s, 4 10s for 220.00. Just standard metal plates

I'll definitely be buying from him again when I want more weight and maybe barbell/power rack
That should cover your wrist curls but what about everything else?

Chocobro

I'm torn between the Reebok and the adidas powerlifts

I wouldn't recommend the Adidas Powerlifts. The EVA heel will suffer compression at heavy loads. The only Adidas WLing shoes that I would recommend is the Power Perfect 2's (but I believe they are discontinued) and the Adipower.

What style squat do you do? Do you have a hard time getting into a good position in the hole?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My brother swears by tricep kickbacks but they make me hurt in all the wrong ways. Feel a big TWANG when I do them also. Bench and dips for my tris, that's all I need.

I don't like kickbacks since you cant really go as heavy. Overhead tricep dumbbell presses,skullcrushers or cable rope push downs are awesome since you can really load the weight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh I see. I thought there was more to it.

What would be your opinion on doing something like 7/5/3 instead of 5/3/1 on the compound movements using the sets/reps and percentages from either Smolov Jr or Smolov base program? Matt Ogus from LegendOfAesthetics is doing that for all of his main lifts and he's getting really good strength gains.

I'd say it's not 5/3/1 and an entirely different program.

Also I suspect ogus is fake natty. And I'd bet Omar isuf is too now that he's hooked up with mark bell.

I don't know if it's because I'm really weak in the tricep area, but I just don't get anything from them. I keep my elbows as locked in as I can, but I end up having to use crazy light weights to get any sort of decent form / reps.

Dips and close grip pushups on the other and, they utterly obliterate my triceps. Same for tricep extensions. Rolling dumbell extensions feel like they're doing a lot, but I'm still trying to dial in the form on those.
Also tried close grip bench press, but that still felt like it was working my chest.
I've been doing tricep cable extensions FST-7 style lately, after my main tri workout. It really burns them out, I get a crazy pump, and I've noticed good results from doing them. This video explains it in detail, but it's kind of long, so skip to around the 18:27 mark if you just want to see the exercise demonstrated.
http://youtu.be/35f84eyCjp8
My arms feel like the muscle's gonna pop through the skin after finishing with this exercise.

Eklipsis

Does anyone one use Fitocracy? I started using it to log my work outs and wondered if any FITGaf uses it too. Name is King_Coopr if anyone does.

Evo X

I just watched the first episode of Better Call Saul and now I have a strange craving for a Cinnabon. How does that fit into the bodybuilder's diet?

Note: I haven't had a Cinnabon in ~3 years.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
345x2 front squirts today. Went for 355 but I just bailed. It was early afternoon and I usually lift at night after a few meals, my intensity just isn't the same. Still some progress :)

Noema

TUPDUkA.jpg

Mariolee

Hey guys, so I started working out seriously for the first time back in October and I've really gotten into it after an early retired Marine buddy guided me through. However, since the beginning of this year our schedules have changed which has forced me to start working out on my own.

Now, before, pretty much every time we worked out we would do squats. About 3 sets of warm ups with increasing weight in 5 to 3 to 1 rep fashion, then 3 sets of 5 reps with my working weight. I thought my form was good as I was keeping my knees out as I squatted down, tried to keep on the balls of my feet, and squat down to at least parallel or lower and then pushed back up. Sometimes my knees wouldn't go out the right way when the weight is too heavy but I'm working on it and know how bad it is.

Since we stopped working out together, I found another buddy willing to work out with me but he's a bit of a beginner too. Once we began squatting together he critiqued my form a bit. As I usually squat, I go down and let my knees extend beyond my feet if that makes sense, but he was saying that he learned from dancing that doing that could cause injury and hyperextend my knees or something.

So what really is the best way to squat? I'm nervous to go back and do it again because I don't want to cause any longterm injury in the future.

Noema

Since we stopped working out together, I found another buddy willing to work out with me but he's a bit of a beginner too. Once we began squatting together he critiqued my form a bit. As I usually squat, I go down and let my knees extend beyond my feet if that makes sense, but he was saying that he learned from dancing that doing that could cause injury and hyperextend my knees or something.

So what really is the best way to squat? I'm nervous to go back and do it again because I don't want to cause any longterm injury in the future.

There really is no best way to squat.

First of all, the position of the bar on your back will determine your hip, knee and ankle angles. A low bar squat, with the bar resting on your rear deltoids, will require a more horizontal back so that the hips can travel back as much as possible. In this type of squat, a more vertical tibia (with the knees not traveling forward much at all) is more desirable since we want to keep as much tension in the hamstrings as possible; if the knees travel forward they'll pull the hip forward with them and the tension will be lost.

On a high bar squat, with the bar resting on the traps, or when front squatting, the back will remain much more vertical so there's really not much room for the hips to travel back at all, so the ankle angle will have to be smaller to compensate. In this case the knees will travel forward over the foot. How much they travel depends on individual torso to femur to tibia proportions. This type of squatting also requires quite a bit more ankle flexibility.

To Illustrate, notice how the more vertical the back, the more the knees have to travel forward (from left to right, front squat, high bar, low bar):

squats.jpg

Notice how in all of these examples the hip, knee and ankle angles change to accomodate a vertical bar path over the middle of the foot (the dotted line). This is because this is the most efficient bar path and that's the path we want our barbell to follow.

And again, individual proportions such as torso to femur ratio will have a significant impact on how a squat looks. You can't just apply a cookie cutter template and say "this is how squats are supposed to look like".

retired NFL player James Harrison doing 135lb ohp
http://instagram.com/p/zDC8OeJFnT/?modal=true&utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

I wouldn't recommend the Adidas Powerlifts. The EVA heel will suffer compression at heavy loads. The only Adidas WLing shoes that I would recommend is the Power Perfect 2's (but I believe they are discontinued) and the Adipower.

What style squat do you do? Do you have a hard time getting into a good position in the hole?

I can hit atg highbar in chucks comfortably. getting out is another matter lol

Mariolee

First of all, the position of the bar on your back will determine your hip, knee and ankle angles. A low bar squat, with the bar resting on your rear deltoids, will require a more horizontal back so that the hips can travel back as much as possible. In this type of squat, a more vertical tibia (with the knees not traveling forward much at all) is more desirable since we want to keep as much tension in the hamstrings as possible; if the knees travel forward they'll pull the hip forward with them and the tension will be lost.

On a high bar squat, with the bar resting on the traps, or when front squatting, the back will remain much more vertical so there's really not much room for the hips to travel back at all, so the ankle angle will have to be smaller to compensate. In this case the knees will travel forward over the foot. How much they travel depends on individual torso to femur to tibia proportions. This type of squatting also requires quite a bit more ankle flexibility.

To Illustrate, notice how the more vertical the back, the more the knees have to travel forward (from left to right, front squat, high bar, low bar):

squats.jpg

Notice how in all of these examples the hip, knee and ankle angles change to accomodate a vertical bar path over the middle of the foot (the dotted line). This is because this is the most efficient bar path and that's the path we want our barbell to follow.

And again, individual proportions such as torso to femur ratio will have a significant impact on how a squat looks. You can't just apply a cookie cutter template and say "this is how squats are supposed to look like".

Thank you so much man! This info was incredible helpful!

I'd say it's not 5/3/1 and an entirely different program.

Also I suspect ogus is fake natty. And I'd bet Omar isuf is too now that he's hooked up with mark bell.
Ogus yeah he even admitted to being half natty

Isuf needs to come out of the closet tho I agree

Also Johnnie Candito might be half natty (with his acne ridden shoulders and back) I might be wrong tho

Fuck the only fucker that I can proclaim that's truly natty is maybe Jason Blaha (even then he admits to doing TRT but for his Meniere's disease tho)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Ogus yeah he even admitted to being half natty

Isuf needs to come out of the closet tho I agree

Also Johnnie Candito might be half natty (with his acne ridden shoulders and back) I might be wrong tho

Fuck the only fucker that I can proclaim that's truly natty is maybe Jason Blaha (even then he admits to doing TRT but for his Meniere's disease tho)
Pick one.

Personally I don't care about these folks using PEDs unless they're giving poor advice/creating unrealistic expectations as a result, or if they're claiming they don't use to big-up themselves.

Rainy

Banned
First time posting here, sorry if I sound ignorant about fitness-related topics, my bad. I'm 6'2" and around 200lbs. I've gained around 15-20 lbs since I came home from college. (On a gap year currently before medical school). I've been trying to get into a groove exercising (have a treadmill, exercise bike, and a good set of weights at home) and while I've been having some problems holding to my schedule, the last few weeks have been better definitely.

I think a problem is that I stay up quite late and eat snacks late as well. The last meal I eat should be what, 2-3 hours before you sleep? How should I separate my meals so that I don't get hungry late at night, maybe a meal every 2 hours?

Pick one.

Personally I don't care about these folks using PEDs unless they're giving poor advice/creating unrealistic expectations as a result, or if they're claiming they don't use to big-up themselves.
That's the problem. Ogus (before the half natty confession) and Omar Isuf are giving false expectations to their followers.

They claim to be natty and tell their viewers that their physique can be attained without PEDs through "hard" work in the weight room

At least Blaha give his viewers some hard truths about what to expect with their training without any "extra" help

ILoveBish

my training partner is cutting, I begrudgingly do it as moral support. I get down on the stair master to curb my inner fatass though.

If i had to do cardio, which i wont do, i would do the stair master also, that is beast in terms of kicking your ass. Still wont do it.

despire

squats.jpg

Waat!? Noema is back? Since when?

I think a problem is that I stay up quite late and eat snacks late as well. The last meal I eat should be what, 2-3 hours before you sleep? How should I separate my meals so that I don't get hungry late at night, maybe a meal every 2 hours?

The best bet to increase satiety is adding more protein to your diet. For a lot of people, eating smaller meals more regularly actually causes hunger.

Not that i really know anything about those guys but someone having acne on their back doesn't necessarily mean they're using. I get fairly bad acne on my back (though i have learned to manage it now) and i literally only get it there. Though i'm guessing it might not be as bad as the examples often talked about but just a random thought.

It's unusual to go from no acne to acne with no particular reason though. Though of course it's something younger people tend to suffer with more than older ones.

BumRush

Hey guys, so I started working out seriously for the first time back in October and I've really gotten into it after an early retired Marine buddy guided me through. However, since the beginning of this year our schedules have changed which has forced me to start working out on my own.

Now, before, pretty much every time we worked out we would do squats. About 3 sets of warm ups with increasing weight in 5 to 3 to 1 rep fashion, then 3 sets of 5 reps with my working weight. I thought my form was good as I was keeping my knees out as I squatted down, tried to keep on the balls of my feet, and squat down to at least parallel or lower and then pushed back up. Sometimes my knees wouldn't go out the right way when the weight is too heavy but I'm working on it and know how bad it is.

Best advice, post a video of you going heavy.

That's the problem. Ogus (before the half natty confession) and Omar Isuf are giving false expectations to their followers.

They claim to be natty and tell their viewers that their physique can be attained without PEDs through "hard" work in the weight room

At least Blaha give his viewers some hard truths about what to expect with their training without any "extra" help
That's interesting. I can see Ogus, but Omar doesn't look like your typical steroid user; he actually looks closer to my body type, and no one would ever accuse me of using steroids lol. Is there concrete evidence that he's juicing, or is it speculation? What about Chris Jones? I sometimes follow his channel; he's pretty put together and claims to be natural.

grumble

If i had to do cardio, which i wont do, i would do the stair master also, that is beast in terms of kicking your ass. Still wont do it.

That is unfortunate. A little cardio really helps round out your fitness, I find it makes a difference to how I feel, my stamina during sets and during daily activities, and it helps manage body fat. I do hiit twice a week.

Rainy

Banned
Like, a power rack and a barbell and 395bs of plates? Or a 15lb dumbbell and a 35?
Lemme correct that to shitty set. Just some adjustable dumbbell shit my dad bought. Should really find time to head to the gym instead.

The best bet to increase satiety is adding more protein to your diet. For a lot of people, eating smaller meals more regularly actually causes hunger.
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep this in mind!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I have some bad news guys :/

Petrie is permabaned.

He had created an alt account years ago posted a couples time on it in one of the fitness OTs and abandoned it.

Pour out some protein for the guy :(

Here's his Facebook if you guys wanna keep in touch.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=295500292

Holy shit.

Exactly this, and TRT is definitely not natty. I also hate when people have done cycles in the past and now claim natty. It's still not "natty" in my opinion. You're still working with gains got from PEDs.

I honestly don't know how strong I can get especially if I decide to slim down because no one can be trusted. It's something I need to discover for myself. Hell I don't even expect anyone to believe me that I'm 100% natural PEDs are that pervasive.

God knows I get blamed for steroid use enough in "real life."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom