• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
today was the next increment, I did 237 lbs/107.5 kgs 5x3. Nearing my previous PR (112.5 kgs)... then, I am going for those PRs again, wooooohhh...

Before year's end I'd like a 10 kg increment on my squat (122 kgs) I'd be ecstatic if I reach that without my left knee complaining

squatfeb_zpsi7xo2two.jpg

EDIT: Brolic, great lift but one thing I noticed for the first time: you have massive forearms, nice video

ILoveBish

Good for you! Always happy to hear that you are progressing. Motivates me as well. I should really, really get my diet in order again.

My waist was actually smaller than it is now when I have had over 100 clean days without any cheats compared to now, even if I now actually weight less. Lower carbs just seem to work with me better. I should just kick myself to calculate myself new daily intake.

It's really worth your time to get your food in order. Once you get something going you eat often, counting becomes very easy. I'm down to about 1400 or so calories a day now, down to a 5 hour window of eating, still feel plenty strong and lots of energy. Body is adapting very well. The less you cheat, the easier it gets. Stopping the cheat meals for me is what helped me adapt quickly.

SeanR1221

Got a seller lined up on Craigslist to get some weights.

I wonder how much I should buy? The handles themselves are 40 pounds. I'm thinking of having enough for 150/handle and buy some extra to grow into it

sphinx

the piano man
Squat 425x3x3 today. These gains be outta control!

damn, that's 192 kilograms on your shoulders. that's huge

realistically out of my reach, I think my all-time, last PR in my life could be around the 150 kg/330lbs area...probably.. depends on many things.

Depends on age really. At some point sadly we're all going to start going in the wrong direction.

That's when I retire to my yacht and pretend none of it ever happened. :p

iddqd

Just noticed that I started weightlifting exactly one year today.

Starting weights: Squat 175, Bench 125, Deadlift 155

Personal records since then: Squat 325, Bench 215, Deadlift 350

Pretty good for one year I think!

How the hell did you get your Squat that high up?
Good job man!

ILoveBish

Yeah, I have ultimate mastery over age. I'm a genetic miracle me!

/might consider testosterone or HGH when the time comes

Cooternetics aren't blessed to all of us sadly. But i have 0 intention of not improving myself as the years go by. Its just too delicious of a feeling truthfully, love it.

Also, do you have a writeup about accurate heart beat monitor setups? You said yours is tested and accurate, wondering what all is involved in the process and hardware used. I might get into a nice HRM setup just to get an even better baseline and see what is going on during lifting, and would like your thoughts on it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Badass lift.

today was the next increment, I did 237 lbs/107.5 kgs 5x3. Nearing my previous PR (112.5 kgs)... then, I am going for those PRs again, wooooohhh...

Before year's end I'd like a 10 kg increment on my squat (122 kgs) I'd be ecstatic if I reach that without my left knee complaining

EDIT: Brolic, great lift but one thing I noticed for the first time: you have massive forearms, nice video

Thanks gents and yeah, that's something thsts always been there like my big calves. And Grats on getting your squat back.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cooternetics aren't blessed to all of us sadly. But i have 0 intention of not improving myself as the years go by. Its just too delicious of a feeling truthfully, love it.

Also, do you have a writeup about accurate heart beat monitor setups? You said yours is tested and accurate, wondering what all is involved in the process and hardware used. I might get into a nice HRM setup just to get an even better baseline and see what is going on during lifting, and would like your thoughts on it.

You guys make me feel awesome. Thanks. Judging from your quick progress and dedication it's scary to think where you'll be in 5 years.

____

Just saw that chained DL Brolic. Looked too easy. Damn. Was that a camera trick or were you pulling from a deficit? Nm. Looked closer and it's not. Impressive man.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You guys make me feel awesome. Thanks. Judging from your quick progress and dedication it's scary to think where you'll be in 5 years.

____

Just saw that chained DL Brolic. Looked too easy. Damn. Was that a camera trick or were you pulling from a deficit? Nm. Looked closer and it's not. Impressive man.

Thanks man, and nah, the camera was lower since we have a platform now. It was easy, but I knocked out 5-6 signals and could feel my chest pulling again so I wasn't going as fast as if have liked. . Plus somehow I managed to tear a new callus. Gonna have to trim my hands down real good.

Also, good on you getting them squats moving again. Always making the best out of that bulk.

Cooter

Thanks man, and nah, the camera was lower since we have a platform now. It was easy, but I knocked out 5-6 signals and could feel my chest pulling again so I wasn't going as fast as if have liked. . Plus somehow I managed to tear a new callus. Gonna have to trim my hands down real good.

Also, good on you getting them squats moving again. Always making the best out of that bulk.
That chest issue is strange. Smart not to push it.

Planning on maxing in 2 weeks. I think I'm good for somewhere in the 475-500 range. This dedicated DL week alternated with a squat week is really working for me. I'm fresh every time my heavy day comes. Feels good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That chest issue is strange. Smart not to push it.

Planning on maxing in 2 weeks. I think I'm good for somewhere in the 475-500 range. This dedicated DL week alternated with a squat week is really working for me. I'm fresh every time my heavy day comes. Feels good.

I really think it was a collar bone dislocation. It's gonna be tender for a while probably.

MrMuscle

Damn, son! MrMuscle indeed!

Thanks buddy!

MrMuscle is too amazing, glad you're here to show how keeping such low bf% can be done.

Hey man thank, Im just glad someone takes interest and maybe learns something from what i do.

Also, looking amazing MrMuscle.

Thanks you, you guys make me feel great.

Looking great, man. About how often do you train per week and how many calories do you consume daily?

Thanks alot bro. Right now im hitting the gym 7 days a week, full body every day. I have 3 different days i rotate with different rep range, intensity etc on each bodypart.

Ive been eating 3200 calories a day plus a refeed on saturdays. Now im slowly dropping the calories, but the refeed stays!

I love it that you always have that wide smile in your pics. :D

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your body as it is, but I guess you just want to play with it. ;) You look as good as always. I should get serious with my cut as well, but damn I hate counting calories and I should do it to figure out new daily dishes to stuck with.

...even though I should totally hate you after that ice cream comment and pic. :p

Haha thanks. One of the first thing i learned was "always smile when flexing". It makes such a big difference on stage (and on instagram :D).

Yeah I am a perfectionist when it comes to my physique, i need to feel good or else why am i doing this? Counting calories arent always needed, but my personal thoughts are that they are essential for optimal results.

You know you love my freezer!

Best bets are reading this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Az...w-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

...and then a bunch of reading here on different models that might suit you: http://dcrainmaker.com/

In short though you'll want a professionally done V02 max test from time to time and to use the numbers from that in a high(ish) end HRM. There's more to the subject, and some units with even higher accuracy through using a proprietary test that can be done, but I don't have personal experience of that.

Irobot82

I may have missed it in the OT, but does anyone have any links to a website/article that goes into great detail on form and queues for lifts? I have a lot of spare time at work and I'd like to do some heavy reading.

I know people have posted them in the previous pages and I'm looking through them, but if you guys and gals could help me out that would be awesome. I finally broke down this morning and decided to buy some squat shoes and I had a few questions. I'm doing more powerlifting right now so should I be looking for a different type of squat shoe than what I've been looking at on Amazon? Are there big form changes for the squat and front squat when moving from chuck's to squat shoes? What are some good brands? I'm still going to use chuck's for bench day and move back to bare feet for dead's. If I find my answers on previous pages I'll mark this post so ya'll don't have to spend your time trying to help me. Thanks everyone.

edit: Do these Sabo's sound like a good all around squat/deadlift shoe: http://www.maxbarbell.com/collections/powerlifting-shoes/products/sabo-deadlift-lifting-shoes? Reading some articles make it seem that way.

edit2: I went with the Sabo's. Read enough good reviews and its only $90 dollars with free shipping. I wanted a flatter heel because I'm using a wide squat. I'll give my impressions when I use them.

BumRush

I know people have posted them in the previous pages and I'm looking through them, but if you guys and gals could help me out that would be awesome. I finally broke down this morning and decided to buy some squat shoes and I had a few questions. I'm doing more powerlifting right now so should I be looking for a different type of squat shoe than what I've been looking at on Amazon? Are there big form changes for the squat and front squat when moving from chuck's to squat shoes? What are some good brands? I'm still going to use chuck's for bench day and move back to bare feet for dead's. If I find my answers on previous pages I'll mark this post so ya'll don't have to spend your time trying to help me. Thanks everyone.

edit: Do these Sabo's sound like a good all around squat/deadlift shoe: http://www.maxbarbell.com/collections/powerlifting-shoes/products/sabo-deadlift-lifting-shoes? Reading some articles make it seem that way.

edit2: I went with the Sabo's. Read enough good reviews and its only $90 dollars with free shipping. I wanted a flatter heel because I'm using a wide squat. I'll give my impressions when I use them.

Seems like you made your decision. Curious as to why you wouldn't just use these on bench / DL days as well?

Seems like you made your decision. Curious as to why you wouldn't just use these on bench / DL days as well?

Ya I made my decision in a weird way. I actually picked these shoes because people were recommending them on DL day as well. At first I was just going to buy a dedicated squat shoe but this seems like a good hybrid for both lifts. I guess I could use it for bench/OHP day as well? Should I?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If it was and you are lifting this weight you must have one hell of a high pain tolerance. I imagine that would be uncomfortable.

It was, but it wasn't "pain" per se, it was more of that verge of something bad happening. On recovery I like pushing up right to the edge to facilitate training and hopefully speed recovery. It did feel like my chest would pop open though. As I moved up I'd keep doing a weight until he sensation became less. I probably did 15-20+ sets just on deadlift.

I love your logic.

I might have dislocated my collarbone....let's find something that weighs more than a quarter of a ton and pick it up.

Haha...tender muscles = dislocated collarbone = still DL over 500 lbs.

You guys are funny.

BumRush

Ya I made my decision in a weird way. I actually picked these shoes because people were recommending them on DL day as well. At first I was just going to buy a dedicated squat shoe but this seems like a good hybrid for both lifts. I guess I could use it for bench/OHP day as well? Should I?

I'm sure some of the seasoned powerlifters could weigh in but if you're buying these I would definitely wear them with all of your compounds. No need to switch to chucks for your bench / OHP days.

I'm sure some of the seasoned powerlifters could weigh in but if you're buying these I would definitely wear them with all of your compounds. No need to switch to chucks for your bench / OHP days.

Ah ok this makes sense thank you.

High/bar front squat and Ohp and bench press I prefer oly shoes. Low bar squat and deadlift I go barefoot.

This is my first pair of "dedicated lifting shoes" so there is a possibility that I have multiple pairs of shoes. But I figured you guys would have some good ideas, plus I can give a review of the shoe if anyone else is interested in it.

Cooter

As this bulk comes to an end I'm planning out my maxes and setting goals. Within the next couple weeks I hope to get

Squat:485
DL:565
Bench:360

=1410

I'd be pretty stoked if I can get 1400 or above.

____

Regarding the shoe talk, I prefer DLing barefoot and squatting (lowbar) with my addipowers. Never tried benching in them but I will when I max for sure.

Been sick the last few days. Haven't eaten much of anything. Already down 6 lbs. I know it is water weight but honestly, I thought I had more muscle/fat than that. Annoying more than anything.

In any case, prolly taking the week off. I feel dead.

SeanR1221

As this bulk comes to an end I'm planning out my maxes and setting goals. Within the next couple weeks I hope to get

Squat:485
DL:565
Bench:360

=1410

I'd be pretty stoked if I can get 1400 or above.

____

Regarding the shoe talk, I prefer DLing barefoot and squatting (lowbar) with my addipowers. Never tried benching in them but I will when I max for sure.

1400 would be awesome. Then you'd be on the road to 1500 for next year!!

Szu

Been sick the last few days. Haven't eaten much of anything. Already down 6 lbs. I know it is water weight but honestly, I thought I had more muscle/fat than that. Annoying more than anything.

In any case, prolly taking the week off. I feel dead.

Yeah, this was me last week. Dude, it's too early for cut season.

Cooter

1400 would be awesome. Then you'd be on the road to 1500 for next year!!
That's way down the road. I'll lose some strength this summer and probably start back up the gainz train in November. I do have bw% goals for this summer so it won't be all boring maintenance.

ILoveBish

Down to 240.5lbs this morning. Getting there.

I'm excited to find out myself. Fitgaf best GAF.

Best bets are reading this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Az...w-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

...and then a bunch of reading here on different models that might suit you: http://dcrainmaker.com/

In short though you'll want a professionally done V02 max test from time to time and to use the numbers from that in a high(ish) end HRM. There's more to the subject, and some units with even higher accuracy through using a proprietary test that can be done, but I don't have personal experience of that.

I shall begin my research into this on the weekend.

Goddamn work. Have got about half the calories I need today thanks to fucking around with one thing or another. I imagine this stress is robbing me of my gains too. =/

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Are military press and press the same exercise?
No.
No.
This had me curious and apparently the only difference is the placement if the feet. Military has your feet together, standard press is shoulder width.
Yes. Like you're standing to attention. In the military. For overhead press you use whatever stance suits you best, which is,like you said, generally around shoulder width.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom