• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ha this is great. I love how your kid seems to have a look on his face like "uh, is this supposed to be hard?"

It was more "am I doing this right." He wanted to do it with that weight and I'm not about to throw more on him. We had fun and they both enjoyed it.

That's awesome. It's great to have shared interests like that.

Yeah, I was glad when they both came out and wanted to join me.

Haha. I enjoyed that. Thanks. Beautiful family you got there sir.

Also nice to hear that issue was nothing serious. Time to start the steady climb up to 700!

Thanks bud, and yeah, hoping for this year, but that's a lofty goal.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, good news and bad news.

Good:

I surpassed all my lifts from last time. The biggest, most important one being the bench press. I finally managed to reach a new max: 130 lbs. for 3x5. This is the highest bench I've ever gotten, and it was something I was stuck at for months (part of this was resetting and also being very inconsistent, with the gym being closed for a couple of weeks, losing strength, etc.). Felt fucking great!

Also improved my barbell curls and calf raises (the latter especially was a surprisingly substantial improvement).

All in all, it was a fantastic workout.

Now for the bad news:

I got robbed.

Some asshole stole my backpack. It had a pair of pants, and my car keys. There were some documents in there as well that have my personal information, and I may even had some bank statements in there.

Needless to say, that was quite the wet blanket.

Szu

Copy pasta from Facebook.

Beautiful day, so we did some family farmer walks. Jamie with 25lbs per hand for 100feet 4 times, me with 242lbs per hand for 75feet 4 times and Haiden with 2.5lbs per hand for 100 feet. Also, that injury I thought I had doing this weight about a month ago is completely gone. Must have been a brief collar bone dislocation.
http://youtu.be/XV3sl5GRlLU

This is beyond awesome!!!

I can't wait to do stuff with my son when he's old enough.

I forget if three years old is a good age to start him on bench.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I was going to make a joke but I looked it up and there's a kids bench set lol.

j2ZdWip.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001404UMO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Im curious. How do you prepare such a large cut?

I usually just apply copious amounts of adobo and sazon seasoning and let it sit overnight. You cut 1" deep holes into the meat and try to get the seasonings in there.

This time though I'm following this recipe...

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-puerto-rican-pernil-pork-shoulder-you-will-ever-have-503799

Which involves a marinade instead of a dry rub. Cook it for 10 hours and it'll be falling apart by the end. My apartment smells like salt, lime, and oregano right now. So good.

BumRush

Copy pasta from Facebook.

Beautiful day, so we did some family farmer walks. Jamie with 25lbs per hand for 100feet 4 times, me with 242lbs per hand for 75feet 4 times and Haiden with 2.5lbs per hand for 100 feet. Also, that injury I thought I had doing this weight about a month ago is completely gone. Must have been a brief collar bone dislocation.
http://youtu.be/XV3sl5GRlLU

Yessssss! great family brolic! Wifey did ten times Haiden and you did 100 times Haiden. No big deal.

SeanR1221

What's the gist of this 'renaissance diet?'

It's a book based in science, which I appreciate coming from a heavy research background. They also provide links to the peer reviewed articles they cite which is nice.

Some key points.

- food importance is ranked as...Calories, macros, timing, composition, supplements
- emphasises the importance of losing weight or gaining mass for a max of 3 months. Otherwise you risk either losing muscle or gaining too much fat
- maintenance phases should be placed after doing a weight loss or weight to establish a new set point for the body. This will avoid bouncing back to your start weight
- macros optimization is described
- meal timing is explained and they break down what kind of carbs you should eat at certain times.

It's definitely worth reading imo

A sugary fast absorbing carb like that is perfect 30 minutes after working out :)

sphinx

the piano man
It's a book based in science, which I appreciate coming from a heavy research background. They also provide links to the peer reviewed articles they cite which is nice.

Some key points.

- food importance is ranked as...Calories, macros, timing, composition, supplements
- emphasises the importance of losing weight or gaining mass for a max of 3 months. Otherwise you risk either losing muscle or gaining too much fat
- maintenance phases should be placed after doing a weight loss or weight to establish a new set point for the body. This will avoid bouncing back to your start weight
- meal timing is explained and they break down what kind of carbs you should eat at certain times.

I need this in my life. can you give a link to where I can get it?

entremet

I prefer the OHP for younger kids. Engages more musculature and it's a more natural of movement, plus no need for a bench.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Some key points.

A sugary fast absorbing carb like that is perfect 30 minutes after working out :)

Reading this sentence makes it sound like it shares some aspects with John Kiefer's Carb Back Loading (not to imply that he did all of the science behind the diet)!

Does it talk a lot about tGLUT translocation in relation to resistance training?

SeanR1221

Reading this sentence makes it sound like it shares some aspects with John Kiefer's Carb Back Loading (not to imply that he did all of the science behind the diet)!

Does it talk a lot about tGLUT translocation in relation to resistance training?

You'll see hints of "bro science" which is interesting. People took pockets of research and marketed under a name.

tGLUT doesn't stand out to me, but they "dumb down" the articles a lot for easy reading. When you click the links the actual research is worded in a lot more detail so I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up there

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You'll see a lot of hint of "bro science" which is interesting. People took pockets of research and marketed under a name.

tGLUT doesn't stand out to me, but they "dumb down" the articles a lot for easy reading. When you click the links the actual research is worded in a lot more detail so I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up there

Definitely no Bro Science with John Kiefer (not sure if that's what you were implying). The guy is legit about his science. He's got some great information over on his new site Body.io. I'd particularly recommend his podcast series, which is free, of course.

SeanR1221

Ah yeah sorry I misunderstood your post and didnt know who he was :-x

Now to clarify, it's not like I'll be eatng poptart ice cream sandwiches lol...but one poptart post workout with a side of whey would be great.

Then save the rice/potatoes for post-post workout.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Good ol' rice and potatoes.

My favorite is a sweet potato + white rice mash. Cut up the sweet potatoes and throw them in with the rice, let them soak for a bit, and then turn on the rice cooker. Really tasty stuff.

Poptart ice cream sandwiches sound pretty amazing, too, though.

Good ol' rice and potatoes.

My favorite is a sweet potato + white rice mash. Cut up the sweet potatoes and throw them in with the rice, let them soak for a bit, and then turn on the rice cooker. Really tasty stuff.

Poptart ice cream sandwiches sound pretty amazing, too, though.

This sounds fantastic. Is the sweet potatoes and rice that simple? Can you be a bit more descriptive?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yessssss! great family brolic! Wifey did ten times Haiden and you did 100 times Haiden. No big deal.

Lol

Yeah, he was already interested since I do it. But when my wife asked me to train her, he got more interested. I'm letting him go his own pace. Not gonna force anything on him.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds fantastic. Is the sweet potatoes and rice that simple? Can you be a bit more descriptive?

Really simple, assuming you have a rice cooker (I recommend you get a nice one from Zojirushi or some other Japanese/Korean company).

1. Cut up sweet potato into small chunks, let them soak in water for 30 minutes
2. 'Clean' rice as normal and let it soak in water for 30 minutes, too
3. Strain water from the potatoes and toss them in with the rice
4. Set it in the rice cooker and press the cook button
5. once done, open the lid and shake some table salt onto it (optional)
6. Mash it all up so that the rice and potatoes are mixed together nicely

7. Eat! I usually pair it with some kind of chicken

SeanR1221

Really simple, assuming you have a rice cooker (I recommend you get a nice one from Zojirushi or some other Japanese/Korean company).

1. Cut up sweet potato into small chunks, let them soak in water for 30 minutes
2. 'Clean' rice as normal and let it soak in water for 30 minutes, too
3. Strain water from the potatoes and toss them in with the rice
4. Set it in the rice cooker and press the cook button
5. once done, open the lid and shake some table salt onto it (optional)
6. Mash it all up so that the rice and potatoes are mixed together nicely

7. Eat! I usually pair it with some kind of chicken

I'm definitely doing this.

Zefah, you'd probably also appreciate in the Renaissance book they mention on non training days you technically don't need any carbs, but they recommend eating .5g per lb of body weight as an optimal amount.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Zefah, you'd probably also appreciate in the Renaissance book they mention on non training days you technically don't need any carbs, but they recommend eating .5g per lb of body weight as an optimal amount.

That sounds exactly like carb back loading.

despire

Do you eat more fat to make up the difference or "a normal amount" of fat and therefore less calories?

SeanR1221

That sounds exactly like carb back loading.

Yup very similar.

So on a non training day I'll have a breakfast with protein and fat (eggs and bacon or eggs and prosciutto) lunch and dinner has been a protein and a little bit of carbs (1 cup rice or 10 ounces of sweet potato). I eat Vegetables with every meal and don't count them as carb sources. Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt before bed for something slow digesting. I cut my protein waaaay back. 180g is more than enough.

On training days, if I'm working out later In the day (like 7pm) I'll still have a fattier breakfast and a lunch with a little bit of carbs. Then 1-3 hours before working out I'll have oatmeal, while working out I'll have Gatorade, immediately after working out I'll have the sugary cereal and whey and then post post workout for dinner I'll have a larger amount of carbs (sweet potatoes or rice).

Typically around 2400 calories, and I'll adjust that if I stall by 50-100 calories. Protein stays consistent every day, carbs around 100g on off days and 230-250 on workout days. Fat makes up the rest for whatever calories are left.

Do you eat more fat to make up the difference or "a normal amount" of fat and therefore less calories?

Yup so after you decide the amount of calories you should be eating, you subtract how much of it goes towards protein and carbs and make up the rest in fat.

Minimally I'd need 25g to function, I always get a lot more than that though. I'd say 60 on high carb days and close to 100 on rest days.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

From what I've read, calorie in vs calorie out is one of the most important aspects, followed by macronutrient makeup.

So, you set your baseline caloric intake, set your protein intake (which, like your caloric intake will be constant), and fat vs. Carbs is totally dependant on whether its a weightlifting day or not. So, ultimately, on the days you lower carbs, you will fill in that caloric gap with fats to maintain the caloric baseline you've set.

-

I'll probably implement this diet when I've switched back to bulking. For the time being Keto, and being in a caloric deficit have been doing me good.

Bowser

The basic breakdown is to have a set amount of calories for workout and rest days, then your protein (0.8-1.0g per lb) and carb needs are determined (0.5 or less g carbs on off days, 1.5-2.0g lifting days) and the remainder is filled out with fat grams to hit your calorie target. Nothing revolutionary.

bchamba

Finally got to roll myself out for a good 30 minutes today after not being able to do it all week. Always feel great after I go that long without doing it. Amazing how tight our muscles can be and how much pain we walk around with without even noticing until it's gone.

Fox318

I got a bad cold and my ankle was bothering me so I was forced to take a few days off.

I went back to the gym today and did my usual workout and I was surprised to see that all of my anxiety about squatting and my lower back is gone.

I guess I just needed some days off.

RoeBear

I like your "meh" face. :D

(I'm unable to judge you aside from that, I have no idea what is being looked for in these competitions)

I just love hiding my lips in my mustache. Yeah especially since I'm unsure which I should do physique vs. bodybuilding. I'll just ask some pros and they'll be able to tell me. I honestly just want to do bodybuilding as I get to tense when trying to do physique poses.

Fox318

I have a question about shoes. I've stopped using running shoes for lifts awhile ago as I didn't feel stable but for squats barefoot I feel like I'm still not solidly planted.

I have an old pare of Chuck Taylor's lying around the house somewhere but I might pick up a new pair instead.

Should I get a pair of squat shoes or crossfit shoes? Any recommendations?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Was supposed to go light all week but I was feeling pretty good today even for an early workout. Did 415 2x5, 405 2x5 and did some single leg DLs afterwards, with DBs, for my hamstring/glutes which killed my legs.

Tweaked my knee from stretching; kneeling and laying flat on back to stretch the quads... Didn't hurt during squats thankfully.

Ended the week at 54.04 miles. A new high for me.

Monday: 7.72 mi
Tuesday: 7.72
Wednesday: 7.72
Thursday: 7.72, 5.79
Friday: 3.86
Saturday: 9.65
Sunday: 3.86

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

I can often relate or see other people's side of things but this is completely insane to me. Rock on brother. Super impressive.

Nice. Looks tiring!

Unrelated, given a choice between squishy shoes, and barefoot, what do people here reckon would be best for deadlifting?

I can often relate or see other people's side of things but this is completely insane to me. Rock on brother. Super impressive.

Thanks. I usually stay between 20-30 mi a week, but when I hit 30 by Thursday and 40 by Friday, I had to go for 50. I expect to drop back down to 25ish next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom