• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Nah, i was talking about ahnold. Also seem to recall people in this thread (or an earlier version of this thread) commenting that the usual Men's Health workout programs were ahnold's programs, just a bit retooled, and if someone tried to follow them, they'd most likely end up overworking themselves.

But that was a while ago and i can't say precisely when, so it could be just the memory playing tricks on me and getting some old gymbro advice mixed up.
I must be missing some context because it looked like the discussion was on bodybuilding physiques from the golden Era to mass monsters of today.

But as to your question, I'd give less credence to someone who made a training program when they're on gear. Some programs simply require too much volume. I'm reminded of the Bulgarian method which breaks a lot of people iirc. It was recently retooled by Greg nuckols and Omar isuf to benefit natural lifters. Most articles/programs on bb.com for example are geared towards enhanced lifters. I can't speak on Arnold's program, I know many naturals use it though.

SeanR1221

That sucks. Feel better man. Question, where did you get your bands for deadlifts and how much do they run?

Feeling good today :)

I got mine from a local place...they're 50lbs of resistance each and ran me 25.00 per band.

I've played around with the EliteFTS ones and they're good...I'm sure rogue makes some good ones too. Might wanna also check and see what Amazon has.

The Chef

If you wanted to up fat by 40g and decrease carbs by 90g (to keep the same calories) it shouldn't have any noticeable effect on body composition or performance unless you're doing a lot of endurance work. It'd also probably make your diet taste better and make you more likely to stick to your macros.

Cool thanks bud. I'm definitely going to tweak it a bit and I think this is a good start.

Visceir

Anyone here do behind the neck presses? My neck/traps have been feeling oddly sore lately. Been wondering if those could be the culprit and if it's just my muscles getting used to the regular exercise or if it might be something permanent if I keep on doing them.

It's only after a workout that I'm feeling it, during the workout everythings ok.

RoeBear

Anyone here do behind the neck presses? My neck/traps have been feeling oddly sore lately. Been wondering if those could be the culprit and if it's just my muscles getting used to the regular exercise or if it might be something permanent if I keep on doing them.

It's only after a workout that I'm feeling it, during the workout everythings ok.

I've heard that those aren't particularly good for you as they put your shoulders at an anatomically incorrect position.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard that those aren't particularly good for you as they put your shoulders at an anatomically incorrect position.
Depends on the person. It's not so much a matter of anatomically incorrect or not, it's about whether someone can complete the movement without going into a compromised position. If you can do that there's not going to be a huge difference in shoulder position when compared to dumbbell overhead press.

Imm0rt4l

This.

I say if you are going to do them, use a smith machine. Lest you want to snap up your rotator cuffs. What's one of the more common injuries you hear about? Bad shoulders. Some people don't train with longevity in mind. Some may find results with it but I don't like the risk reward myself personally.

ILoveBish

I barely do any shoulder work and they're really strong, genetics at play there, easily my best body part muscle wise. I wouldn't do the behind the back lift myself.

grumble

I'm doing that one. It's a version of the Starting Strength program detailed in this thread's OP. I like the app, very easy to track progress with it.

It isn't a version of starting strength that mark rippetoe would approve of. Basically the guy who made it took the ss program then added in a bunch of volume and a few unnecessary exercises and called it his own thing. Then he started charging for advice etc. and he's by no means a highly qualified coach or advanced in the gym. I'd personally recommend the original ss program as written, noting that adding in chin-ups is part of the program. It works really well and you can push it farther than you can strong lifts. Once you've gotten your newbie gains out of the way, you then move onto a slower intermediate program more tailored to your goals, but you're squatting three plates, dead lifting four and benching your body weight all in well under a year. People get strong and buff doing all kinds of programs and strong lifts isn't useless by any means, but I and people I know have found ss to be unusually effective

grumble

I guess you're right. I'm going to try to document the progress.

I like it alot, I used to have trouble getting proper rests between sets, now it's convenient and easy to use.

I guess it comes to that. A problem with my local gym is that it doesn't have 1,25kg plates so to have even weights on the bar I have to add 2,5kg instead. (5kg total instead of 2,5kg)

Maybe it isn't "dangerous" for your body to train with uneven weights every other workout?

Buy your own 1.25kg plates (and your own 0.75kg). You will need them quickly, you'll only be able to make 10lb jumps for a few workouts. The press could be moved up by 0.5kg total a workout by the end of it. Seriously. It adds up though, quickly. Do not load the bar unevenly, it is not a good idea.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I had someone ask me how big my arms are today. Last time I measured they were between 16.5 and 17 so I told him about 16.5. Just measured and they grew to 17.5. Eating lots works! Go figure.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So what do you guys do when you stall on OHP? I can do about 90 lbs for 3x5 but only got 4 reps just now at 95 and this is all after resetting from 100 lbs last week. For reference I'm on Phraks Greyskull variant

ILoveBish

So what do you guys do when you stall on OHP? I can do about 90 lbs for 3x5 but only got 4 reps just now at 95 and this is all after resetting from 100 lbs last week. For reference I'm on Phraks Greyskull variant

Truth is, ohp is the lift most people stall on. You deload, make sure you are eating over your maintenance, and keep hitting it. Doing some shoulder work like Arnold presses won't hurt either.

ldcommando

Banned

Tell me about it. I'll get to 90 lbs next week and I can feel the stalling coming a mile away. Such a bitch of a lift. Especially in my case where my left shoulder is way weaker than the right one.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Squats felt like shit today and I had to do it all In 45 min. Also, I just started volume work on squats, so even though it's not high, between the volume and time constraint my legs are wrecked. Total log is in video description.

Front squat 315 3x3 and back squat 315x10.
http://youtu.be/VF2goUYe0bI

ILoveBish

Two and a half with only one lapse. Weighed 203 this afternoon. Down 17.

Honestly, it's amazing how fast you cut down. It's so slow for me and everyone in my family. I don't want to use the 'g' word lol. Really happy for you tho, you're such an inspiration for so many.

Cooter

Honestly, it's amazing how fast you cut down. It's so slow for me and everyone in my family. I don't want to use the 'g' word lol. Really happy for you tho, you're such an inspiration for so many.

17 pounds in two weeks? That can't be right?

Here's my theory. My body has a natural weight it gravitates to. My guess is around 190. When I force it higher or lower it's constantly trying to get back to 190. As soon as I string together 15-20 days of disciplined eating 10-15 pounds will disappear or reappear.

And thanks Bish.

So I seem to have hit my limit with the weight I can handle on my current workout routine.

I have been checking out the "Stronglifts 5x5" program and I really like the idea of a less stamina oriented workout routine, I also very much like the idea of freeing up some time (doing 4 days/75 min workout a week at the moment).

Anyway was wondering what is the current GAF consensus on "Stronglift"

SeanR1221

Here's my theory. My body has a natural weight it gravitates to. My guess is around 190. When I force it higher or lower it's constantly trying to get back to 190. As soon as I string together 15-20 days of disciplined eating 10-15 pounds will disappear or reappear.

And thanks Bish.

Yes the bodies set point.

From my readings it's why it's suggested to not keeping cutting or bulking for too long. 3 months max of either, then a month or more of maintenance.

You do a TON of maintenance IIRC so I could see you having a very good set point.

Or I'm talking out of my ass. But it sounds good to me :)

And thanks Bish.

I... just don't really get how that would work, there are so many variables. But whatever man, you look amazing

I don't know that the fuck happened this week, but I've lost 3kg (6.5lbs) of weight. I've been hitting my calorie targets, but apparently that's made no difference.

Really annoyed. Did chest day yesterday and my numbers were awful too, by the end I was down to half my usual reps on some moves and felt utterly wasted.

BumRush

I don't know that the fuck happened this week, but I've lost 3kg (6.5lbs) of weight. I've been hitting my calorie targets, but apparently that's made no difference.

Really annoyed. Did chest day yesterday and my numbers were awful too, by the end I was down to half my usual reps on some moves and felt utterly wasted.

Too much cardio?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sick lift brolic. I don't care how much weight, volume squats are tough...physically and mentally

Thanks, it's one of one kick your ego to the door things. Ive been sleeping like shit lately and there's other shit going on so that probably,contributed to squats feeling like shit. Plus like you said, doing volume work for anything sucks. The time constraint definitely facilitated in the fatigue. I was sweating like a water fountain.
Today I'm wanting to germane airdyne bike work and farmer walks, even wrecked as I am. Then date night with the wife. Hopefully I can walk. Lol.

BumRush

Thanks, it's one of one kick your ego to the door things. Ive been sleeping like shit lately and there's other shit going on so that probably,contributed to squats feeling like shit. Plus like you said, doing volume work for anything sucks. The time constraint definitely facilitated in the fatigue. I was sweating like a water fountain.
Today I'm wanting to germane airdyne bike work and farmer walks, even wrecked as I am. Then date night with the wife. Hopefully I can walk. Lol.

Lol airdyne work the day after squats? No thanks.

By the way, on your recommendation a couple of years back I bought the AD6 and I absolutely love it. 15 minutes on that blows any other cardio out of the water.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol airdyne work the day after squats? No thanks.

By the way, on your recommendation a couple of years back I bought the AD6 and I absolutely love it. 15 minutes on that blows any other cardio out of the water.

Yeah,that's the model I have. Love it. Have a theater gym room setup down stairs crank it up and go to town with some LISS.

Sprints on an airdyne bike are brutal, haven't done them in a while though.

And I try to do airdyne bike on most/all of my off days and on event days it's basically a warm up.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
So Im pretty sure I overloaded my bench on day 1. My interpretation of slowing down was a little skewed. Was only able to do 5lbs less
than last week... next bench I feel I should just drop 5lbs more and save a week testing. All other exercises have been increasing every workout so Im pretty sure its not sleep or food. Bah

Nelo Ice

Banned
Truth is, ohp is the lift most people stall on. You deload, make sure you are eating over your maintenance, and keep hitting it. Doing some shoulder work like Arnold presses won't hurt either.

Thanks think I'll add that to my routine since I've only added curls but adding another iso exercise shouldn't hurt.

Tell me about it. I'll get to 90 lbs next week and I can feel the stalling coming a mile away. Such a bitch of a lift. Especially in my case where my left shoulder is way weaker than the right one.
Lol same here.l I already knew once I hit 90+ lbs again that I'd stall.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Whoa, my weight shot up quite a bit from last week. I've been going up roughly a pound every week for the past few weeks, but today I shot up about 3 lbs. (went from 156.4 to 159.4 lbs.)

I hope there's not too much fat involved in that. But at this point I think I'd settle for it. Prior to these past few weeks my weight was going up and down for months and months so that I'd basically be unchanged. Pisses me off thinking about it because if things went as they should have, I'd be over 200 lbs. by now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Copy pasta from Facebook.

Beautiful day, so we did some family farmer walks. Jamie with 25lbs per hand for 100feet 4 times, me with 242lbs per hand for 75feet 4 times and Haiden with 2.5lbs per hand for 100 feet. Also, that injury I thought I had doing this weight about a month ago is completely gone. Must have been a brief collar bone dislocation.
http://youtu.be/XV3sl5GRlLU

Cooter

Beautiful day, so we did some family farmer walks. Jamie with 25lbs per hand for 100feet 4 times, me with 242lbs per hand for 75feet 4 times and Haiden with 2.5lbs per hand for 100 feet. Also, that injury I thought I had doing this weight about a week ago is completely gone. Must have been a brief collar bone dislocation.
Haha. I enjoyed that. Thanks. Beautiful family you got there sir.

Also nice to hear that issue was nothing serious. Time to start the steady climb up to 700!

SeanR1221

Beautiful day, so we did some family farmer walks. Jamie with 25lbs per hand for 100feet 4 times, me with 242lbs per hand for 75feet 4 times and Haiden with 2.5lbs per hand for 100 feet. Also, that injury I thought I had doing this weight about a month ago is completely gone. Must have been a brief collar bone dislocation.

That's awesome. It's great to have shared interests like that.

Bowser

Ha this is great. I love how your kid seems to have a look on his face like "uh, is this supposed to be hard?"

I've run 20-30 miles a week since Feb 24 of last year. I haven't dropped below 20. My previous weekly high was 38 mi set last summer. As of tonight, I've knocked out 50.18 miles running since Monday. I plan to tack on close to 4 more tomorrow. I ran 9.65 mi in 78 min earlier today.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
10lb pork shoulder hitting the oven at 5am tomorrow. Gonna cook that baby for 10 hours. Oh lawdy Jesus. All the proteins.

grumble

So I seem to have hit my limit with the weight I can handle on my current workout routine.

I have been checking out the "Stronglifts 5x5" program and I really like the idea of a less stamina oriented workout routine, I also very much like the idea of freeing up some time (doing 4 days/75 min workout a week at the moment).

Anyway was wondering what is the current GAF consensus on "Stronglift"

It's good compared to the programs you see in magazines, but I prefer starting strength. The volume will crush you after a while and some of the accessory exercises are kind of questionable in terms of value add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom