• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Yep. I've set a trend tho, at least after all the bitching, they all get 0 calorie energy drinks. There used to be 20+ high calorie rock stars in the bin a day, now its 20+ 0 calorie ones lol, PROGRESS. One dude from that alone has lost 30lbs in 2 months.
Simple steps like that are what they will use to build upon for greater things. Stepping away from the sugar water is a big step for a lot of folk.

Also agree about the keto talk. Best diet is the one you stick with (so long as that one doesn't absolutely suck, lol) and people suck at sticking to that diet. It works if you can run it though.

In my world borderline obese people tell me how I will end up looking like a dude if I continue going to the gym.
Man, you've the best luck with people.

"Fretting about becoming too masculine if you go to the gym is akin to worrying about becoming too smart if you go to the library."

Gotta say "akin" to get that superior lexicon cred.

Why is it that life never gives me the opportunity to use these comebacks and yet they are delivered to you on a golden plate all the time? So unfair.

Could always go the "better a dude than a whale" route, tho. Brevity is the soul of wit and allathat.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Had maple syrup in the fridge and thought, why not french toast and eggs?

5UhDnQg.jpg

despire

Now I am curious were did you have this done and how much did it cost. Did it tell you how much of pure muscle mass you have on you? :D

Nice numbers I need to say. I might want something like that done when I have hit my goal weight just to see where I would really be. At the moment I know I lack with sleep and proper food. I have also always had hart time drinking enough. I am never thirsty.

It cost 40€ and included a review of the results with the dude who used the machine. I think it was ok. I'm sure there are cheaper places also but in Helsinki they all seemed to cost around 40€. The prices seem to be cheaper outside of Helsinki. The cheapest around here was 34€ but it didn't include the review which would've cost extra. I also think that the review was useful if it is your first time. It's better if someone explains all the results to you instead of trying to figure it out for yourself. It's not necessary though since the link below helps explain things.

I went to Stamina Trainers at Olympiastadion in Helsinki. Seemed ok and the machine was just calibrated as well.

The machine tells you your protein mass but I guess that's just the dry muscle mass you have without the water (which also counts in your total muscle mass).

You can see the places here:
http://www.inbody.fi/mittauspaikat/

You get this kind of a sheet with all the results:
http://www.inbody.fi/tulosten-tulkinta/

I also have to say that it's some kind of a relief to have a solid number of your fat mass etc. Now I don't have to think what it might be anymore or how much I need to lose to get where I want. I have the best estimation of my bf% and fat mass I can get. This is something I've wondered for years but I've never had a solid number to go back to. Now I have it and I'm somewhat relieved. The road ahead is much clearer than it was before for some reason.

RoeBear

The lack of Bloodborne plus diet is going to make me unpleasant the next 11 days. Cheat meal today though, so I'll be happy for a bit.

ILoveBish

I might go for a body scan as well. If I had an exact number of pounds I'd need to lose to hit 15%, I think that would make things a lot more comforting rather then just going till it happens. Much more of a goal to work towards when you have a set number.

I'm sure there are tons of places in socal that do it.

despire

Oh most definitely, so it depends on your needs.

Just checked and the cheapest I could find was 150€ at a private clinic. Or 98€ if you have a referral from you doctor, in which case social security pays the rest. But I guess getting a referral wouldn't be easy because there's no valid reason like suspected osteoporosis. Not sure if "I just want to know if my bf% is 12 or 15" is gonna cut it :p

SeanR1221

Been there last month. Really sucks. Just have to wait it out.

Now that you mention it I remember posting about it. Luckily I feel a little better each day but I'm anxious to get back in

Sounds like the time i had salmonella. I assume you went to a doctor already?

Nahhhh. My wife's a nurse so she's been taking care of me. We both agreed to wait it out.

Awwww, Sean, poor babe. Hopefully you feel better soon!

Thanks! Me too

I guess a week off ISNT the end of the world. I couldn't tell you the last time I took a week off

sphinx

the piano man
I want to know why is it so fucking hard to find decent tank tops with video game or fantasy themes...

I just spent 30 minutes looking for a Auryn Emblem (Neverending story) tank top, typed every combination possible on google. Results were pure garbage, the one that looked decent is just for women,

I give up and look for metroid themed shirts, again, the shittiest desgins possible, very few and most for women,

buh the internet

I want to know why is it so fucking hard to find decent tank tops with video game or fantasy themes...

Because nerds have always been renowned for their excellent fashion taste.

It's also why so much geeky stuff comes in a myriad of colors like black, obsidian, charcoal, ebony, noir, onyx, licorice and the like.

sphinx

the piano man
Because nerds have always been renowned for their excellent fashion taste.

It's also why so much geeky stuff comes in a myriad of colors like black, obsidian, charcoal, ebony, noir, onyx, licorice and the like.

I moved on and tried with space themes.

hubble pictures, planets, galaxies, whatever... again. complete failure.

I find it quite annoying that most tank tops have moronic lines like "sun's out, guns out", that's meathead/douche bag stuff....

andycapps

I have totally non-excisting butt if looked straight from the back. Any exercise to make that pitiful thing wider or is it all about genetics? If so I think I just need to continue burning the extra fat and get a smaller waist that would make the ass hopefully look a bit bigger.

I'd check out some of what Bret Contreras has to say about the subject. He seems to be an expert on this. But I'm going to suggest that if you want a bigger butt you need to be getting stronger in your squats and also need more volume. Other assistance exercises that hit that area as well. Takes time also.

hydrophilic attack - I made it a few paragraphs and gave up. Happy that you're doing something now and enjoying it. If you have questions, you might want to be a bit more brief.

LtOrange

I knew I had been gaining weight, but it has gotten to the point that I can't keep ignoring it. I have a general plan set but I was wondering if you guys could help me with on the go meals. Im looking for a shake that I can grab when I'm running late or don't have time to prepare a meal. This doesn't happen often, but having something to stop me from going for the bagel/muffin in the office would really help. Huge plus if I can grab it off Amazon.

MrMuscle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiphQnUItQ

So Arnold's comments at The Arnold Classic is making its rounds on the internet. Basically, it is him calling out the judging saying that "the biggest is the best" where back when Arnold competed, it was about achieving a body that everyone wanted.

Thoughts?

IFBB has made moves to make it more mainstream with classes like Classic Bodybuilding, Mens/Womens Physique, Bikini Fitness and athletic fitness. So its not like they arent doing anything. But when it comes to Bodybuilding they seem to have problems steering it in a right way. Although im a HUGE Cutler fan, when Heath won I thought they moved in the right direction.

I agree that the physiques in Arnolds time were beautiful. But the golden era to me was when we had guys like Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler, Chris Cormier, Lee Priest, Gunther Schlierkampf, Kevin Levrone etc battling it out. They had fantastic lines, shredded and the guts werent that prominent yet.

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect. Arnold is and will always be "god" in bodybuilding. So when HE makes a statement the IFBB will take notice.

I knew I had been gaining weight, but it has gotten to the point that I can't keep ignoring it. I have a general plan set but I was wondering if you guys could help me with on the go meals. Im looking for a shake that I can grab when I'm running late or don't have time to prepare a meal. This doesn't happen often, but having something to stop me from going for the bagel/muffin in the office would really help. Huge plus if I can grab it off Amazon.

Might want to try the nutrition thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

There are loads of options out there for meal replacement shakes though.

The Chef

Alright, its finally time I ask for some advice.

I have been really really stepping up my game the past few months.
I am 6'1" and the picture on the left I was at 175 lbs. The picture to the right is exactly 1 month later where i was able to gain a bit more size. Not sure how much I weighed since I really never weight myself but I am thinking I gained 3-5 lbs at most.
f8EdFj3.jpg

I have been following a pretty unreal workout schedule and have been pushing myself like I never have before. I realized during this time that I need to match my devotion in the gym, with outside the gym. I know its time to start taking my diet very seriously.

For the past 2 weeks I began counting macros. This is a whole new world to me since I basically ate what I wanted when I wanted it. It has been a very sobering experience. I had assumed I was totally meeting my macros on my own but was very very wrong. Within the first day of tracking I realized I was 50 grams short of my daily protein needs and 1500 calories short of where I should be at.

So I changed as best as I could and over the past two weeks I've been regularly putting back these ratios:

Daily Goal of 3500 Calories
55% 481g Carbs
20% 175g Protein
25% 97g Fat

Thus far I have noticed a big difference in just this short while. I realize I was basically overtraining and starving myself. Sitting idle at my current weight and size.

Currently I am trying to dial in my ratios a little more and increase my protein intake. In one article I read for my bodytype it was suggested going with a ratio of:

55% 481g Carbs
25% 219g Protein
20% 78g Fat

So here is where I am starting to have a problem. During the day I really dont consume nearly 481g of carbs. The rest of my calories come from protein and fat.
So to follow these new ratios of more carbs and less fat I am having a difficult time figuring out how to accomplish this.

Is there any reason I cant bring the carbs down and bring the fat up?
If I do need to really start eating more carbs are there any suggestions for healthy options?
Of course, if anyone also has any articles they recommend let me know. I will gladly read them.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
First of all, you look great Chef. Nice work.

No reason at all you can't lower carbs and increase fats. A lot of this is trial and error when it comes to diet. Everyone is unique and reacts differently.

Cooper

I might go for a body scan as well. If I had an exact number of pounds I'd need to lose to hit 15%, I think that would make things a lot more comforting rather then just going till it happens. Much more of a goal to work towards when you have a set number.

I'm sure there are tons of places in socal that do it.

I'm a fellow SoCal resident who researched various body measurement options in the area about a year ago. I found the following options.

I posted a few pages back about my most recent DEXA scan done by BodySpec. They truck the DEXA machinery to various locations in the SoCal area. You can check what they have scheduled at https://www.body-spec.com/scan-me. They charge $40 for the initial scan, and you do get a lot of information in the report.

Some of the Cal State Universities have Bod Pods. I got one at Long Beach about a year ago. The price was also about $40, from what I remember. Contact the kinesiology department if you're interested.

There are also mobile hydrostatic weighing trucks in the area. I haven't used them, but I know a few people who have. One of them is http://www.bodyfattest.com/.

I do like having some numbers to work with, even if they're not absolutely 100% spot-on. It helps me set goals a bit better.

ILoveBish

I'm a fellow SoCal resident who researched various body measurement options in the area about a year ago. I found the following options.

I posted a few pages back about my most recent DEXA scan done by BodySpec. They truck the DEXA machinery to various locations in the SoCal area. You can check what they have scheduled at https://www.body-spec.com/scan-me. They charge $40 for the initial scan, and you do get a lot of information in the report.

Some of the Cal State Universities have Bod Pods. I got one at Long Beach about a year ago. The price was also about $40, from what I remember. Contact the kinesiology department if you're interested.

There are also mobile hydrostatic weighing trucks in the area. I haven't used them, but I know a few people who have. One of them is http://www.bodyfattest.com/.

I do like having some numbers to work with, even if they're not absolutely 100% spot-on. It helps me set goals a bit better.

Terrific. Thank you so much. I think I'll get it done end of next week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
IFBB has made moves to make it more mainstream with classes like Classic Bodybuilding, Mens/Womens Physique, Bikini Fitness and athletic fitness. So its not like they arent doing anything. But when it comes to Bodybuilding they seem to have problems steering it in a right way. Although im a HUGE Cutler fan, when Heath won I thought they moved in the right direction.

I agree that the physiques in Arnolds time were beautiful. But the golden era to me was when we had guys like Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler, Chris Cormier, Lee Priest, Gunther Schlierkampf, Kevin Levrone etc battling it out. They had fantastic lines, shredded and the guts werent that prominent yet.

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect. Arnold is and will always be "god" in bodybuilding. So when HE makes a statement the IFBB will take notice.

Agreed. Modern body building winners are kind of freakish. I think it should be all about aesthetics.

The Chef

Jesus... that's a huge difference for a month. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it.

First of all, you look great Chef. Nice work.

No reason at all you can't lower carbs and increase fats. A lot of this is trial and error when it comes to diet. Everyone is unique and reacts differently.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
And that's good to know with the diet. I figured I could adjust it to myself but this is such a whole new thing for me I don't want to do some rookie mistake with my macros.
Summer is upon us...

Imm0rt4l

Two missed gym days now :/

So Monday I woke up and threw up. Ran a fever, chills, didn't leave the couch.

Tuesday, still kinda crappy. Whole body ached and no appetite.

Wednesday and today I just get these waves of nausea and have NO appetite. That's the worst part. I'm forcing food otherwise id end up eating under 1000 calories for the day.

This really sucks, I want it to pass.

That sucks. Feel better man. Question, where did you get your bands for deadlifts and how much do they run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiphQnUItQ

So Arnold's comments at The Arnold Classic is making its rounds on the internet. Basically, it is him calling out the judging saying that "the biggest is the best" where back when Arnold competed, it was about achieving a body that everyone wanted.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with him. Gh and insulin destroyed the aesthetics appeal to bodybuilding. It's all about mass monsters now and who wants to look like them honestly? I guess that's why they created the physique category? But physique just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

How long until women start noticing my gains and tell me how swole I am?

Women generally don't tell you when you're swole. They simply touch your arms and chest.

Which is as big a signal as one might ever get.

But if obviously doesn't. Literally within the first ten minutes of the documentary he "Arnold" says this.

Is the advice of a guy used to working out roided to the gills even that relevant to natty lifters?

Hiz_95

Is there any reason I cant bring the carbs down and bring the fat up?

If you wanted to up fat by 40g and decrease carbs by 90g (to keep the same calories) it shouldn't have any noticeable effect on body composition or performance unless you're doing a lot of endurance work. It'd also probably make your diet taste better and make you more likely to stick to your macros.

Icomp

its a good program, nothing casual about only working out 3 days a week if they are good workouts

I guess you're right. I'm going to try to document the progress.

I'm doing that one. It's a version of the Starting Strength program detailed in this thread's OP. I like the app, very easy to track progress with it.

I like it alot, I used to have trouble getting proper rests between sets, now it's convenient and easy to use.

It works. Once the weight gets up there you'll be wishing you could workout less lol.

I guess it comes to that. A problem with my local gym is that it doesn't have 1,25kg plates so to have even weights on the bar I have to add 2,5kg instead. (5kg total instead of 2,5kg)

Maybe it isn't "dangerous" for your body to train with uneven weights every other workout?

How do you mean? Did you quote the wrong person?

Nah, i was talking about ahnold. Also seem to recall people in this thread (or an earlier version of this thread) commenting that the usual Men's Health workout programs were ahnold's programs, just a bit retooled, and if someone tried to follow them, they'd most likely end up overworking themselves.

But that was a while ago and i can't say precisely when, so it could be just the memory playing tricks on me and getting some old gymbro advice mixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom