• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers. Related, I've got an impact absorbing floor in my gym. I assume I'm best off sticking some sort of board down as a sort of "lifting platform" right? I've seen some home made builds which look pretty good.

BumRush

As a new dad, calories in and calories out is hard as shit. I just try to eat a lot of healthy (clean) foods (plus some cheat meals for sanity) and lift heavy and often. I don't know how you guys do it but I respect it!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
As a new dad, calories in and calories out is hard as shit. I just try to eat a lot of healthy (clean) foods (plus some cheat meals for sanity) and lift heavy and often. I don't know how you guys do it but I respect it!
Sounds like we do it exactly how you do. Also, things get easier after the first year. Hang in there.

BumRush

Sounds like we do it exactly how you do. Also, things get easier after the first year. Hang in there.

Thanks man. I love being a dad and don't think I'll ever go back to being as psychotic about calories, macros, cardio and aesthetics as I used to be...but it is motivating seeing it so often on here.

I read some posts in here that are like "I eat 3000 calories a day, 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat" and that level of dedication blows my mind.

Hovering around 251 atm. Not too bad. Look good, feel good.

Thanks man. I love being a dad and don't think I'll ever go back to being as psychotic about calories, macros, cardio and aesthetics as I used to be...but it is motivating seeing it so often on here.

I read some posts in here that are like "I eat 3000 calories a day, 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat" and that level of dedication blows my mind.

I track total number of calories and protein. It works well enough for me to get to where I want.

Anybody use rings for doing weighted dips? I try them at my gym but the dip stations are like 3 inches wider than myself and they feel awkward on the shoulders. Would be a shame that after working on refining my bench and OHP form it is dips that could cause a shoulder injury.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo!

Great news, men and non-men. The popo found my stolen backpack!

And I did a new personal best for squats: 170 lbs. at 3x5!

:D :D :D

Sadetar

Cooter, awesome job with the weight loss. You are the boss!

Brolic Gaoler, totally loved your recent video. You have gorgeous family! Also really happy to hear that you are totally healed. :)

It cost 40€ and included a review of the results with the dude who used the machine. I think it was ok. I'm sure there are cheaper places also but in Helsinki they all seemed to cost around 40€. The prices seem to be cheaper outside of Helsinki. The cheapest around here was 34€ but it didn't include the review which would've cost extra. I also think that the review was useful if it is your first time. It's better if someone explains all the results to you instead of trying to figure it out for yourself. It's not necessary though since the link below helps explain things.

I went to Stamina Trainers at Olympiastadion in Helsinki. Seemed ok and the machine was just calibrated as well.

The machine tells you your protein mass but I guess that's just the dry muscle mass you have without the water (which also counts in your total muscle mass).

You can see the places here:
http://www.inbody.fi/mittauspaikat/

You get this kind of a sheet with all the results:
http://www.inbody.fi/tulosten-tulkinta/

I also have to say that it's some kind of a relief to have a solid number of your fat mass etc. Now I don't have to think what it might be anymore or how much I need to lose to get where I want. I have the best estimation of my bf% and fat mass I can get. This is something I've wondered for years but I've never had a solid number to go back to. Now I have it and I'm somewhat relieved. The road ahead is much clearer than it was before for some reason.
Well it isn't that particularly expensive. I quickly checked than the cheapest in the city with that one would be 25 euros made with the InBody720 machine. I think that would meet my needs and wouldn't cost too much. :D Thanks for the info. I will most likely go for one after summer when I should be a bit leaner than now. :) It would be nice to know what would be my solid numbers when I am closer to my goal weight.

Well, i went looking for some tanktops now aaand kinda fell in love with this
doge-workout

x354.jpg

I need to say that that is totally cute!

I'd check out some of what Bret Contreras has to say about the subject. He seems to be an expert on this. But I'm going to suggest that if you want a bigger butt you need to be getting stronger in your squats and also need more volume. Other assistance exercises that hit that area as well. Takes time also.

hydrophilic attack - I made it a few paragraphs and gave up. Happy that you're doing something now and enjoying it. If you have questions, you might want to be a bit more brief.
Thanks for the reply. I think I might not have been exact enough. After starting to hit the gym my ass in general has become rounder and if I look it from the side it is definitely bigger. My main concern is like I said that straight from the back it is really non-existing. I made a really quick and lousy comparison about what I mean, but my butt kinda even curves inside from the sides and I am thinking is there anything I can do to change that and make it wider. I am starting to think that maybe I just don't have the awesome ass genetics. I am just hoping it will look bigger in comparison when I lose weight and get smaller waist if nothing else helps.

ongelmakohdat.jpg

Man, you've the best luck with people.

"Fretting about becoming too masculine if you go to the gym is akin to worrying about becoming too smart if you go to the library."

Gotta say "akin" to get that superior lexicon cred.

Why is it that life never gives me the opportunity to use these comebacks and yet they are delivered to you on a golden plate all the time? So unfair.

Could always go the "better a dude than a whale" route, tho. Brevity is the soul of wit and allathat.
Hahah, loved that "akin" part. :p

I think I have just a really personal circle of friends who quite often talk their minds. I am just generally being friendly and don't really bother to be too mean to them since they kinda mean good (so I tell to myself).

Also when I said borderline obese I was being somewhat polite since one of them is for example my height and weights 147 kilos / 342 pounds. I can only imagine how rude it would have sounded if I would have said that whale comparison...

Alright, its finally time I ask for some advice.
---
I am not being helpful at all, but damn you look good. If that is only one month the progress has been phenomenal. Good job!

How long until women start noticing my gains and tell me how swole I am?
Like cuevas said men will compliment you WAY before women do, if they do at all.
Women generally don't tell you when you're swole. They simply touch your arms and chest.

Which is as big a signal as one might ever get.
I guess it totally depends about the females you hang out with.

I myself quite much touch, compliment and drool all at the same time. I am so awesome at multitasking that even my mother called me "special".

Ehh 16 weeks out. Legs are getting better but everywhere else just feels flat and small. here's a pic from yesterday. My shoulders still suck :(
Oh come on. You look extremely good like always.

Woo!

Great news, men and non-men. The popo found my stolen backpack!

And I did a new personal best for squats: 170 lbs. at 3x5!

:D :D :D
Yay! Those both are certainly good news! ^_^

That girl's ass is down to genes. She's the kind that'll need two chairs to sit down should she ever become considerably overweight.

At your bodyfat percentage, with your muscles, youre probably pretty close to max butt size, which will most likely shrink further as you progress with your weight loss, what with muscle being denser than fat and etc. But yeah, going for something that enhances an hourglass figure would work well. And make women hate you. 50/50.

Having experimented with all kinds, i can safely say that an average size firm butt > a humongous fatty arse. More comfortable to slap, less bumpy, doesn't need as much boyfriend help to remove ridiculously tight jeans. Anecdotal, obv.

Plus if you had a butt like that, imagine how extra hellish Zee Supervisor would be. Win win really.

MrMuscle

Ehh 16 weeks out. Legs are getting better but everywhere else just feels flat and small. here's a pic from yesterday. My shoulders still suck :(

Haha keep you fucking spirit up man. Listen, you might feel flat now but it will get a lot worse :D Nah, im kidding, my experiene as you get more and more shredded it takes less and less to feel full and pumped. Just get your water and sodium and you will be fine! When im shredded to bits i only need like a spoon of peanut butter and veins start popping like crazy.

-----

I got a little reality check at the gym this weekend. I was doing my thing when a couple of guys in their 40´s came in and started doing some work. I noticed they needed a little help and I gave them some pointers. Now normally i dont do this, but they were good guys and they just wanted to get in shape.

After thanking me one of them turned to me and said "As you can see I need to loose alot of weight, so thats why im here. But why are you here? There isnt much more you can achieve is there? You are pretty much perfect as you are."

It caught me a little off guard, but i managed to first thank him and then tell him that i do this because i love it, because there are always goals to aim for be it looks, strength, mobility etc.

But it really made me think. Here I am, thinking that i need to diet down to get to where i want to be. But where I am, might be where other people aim to get. So sometimes its smart to take a step back and give yourself a pat on the back and day "you´ve done well son."

Monday morning sermon over!

DBT85

Guys. I decided this morning that I wanted to get moving a bit. I'm 6'1" and 270lb (122kg), will be 30 in a month.

I did some lame push ups (can't do proper ones, had to do against kitchen worktop) even lamer dips between 2 chairs (couldn't have my legs extended out at all, knees were at like 90 degrees and even then only 5 reps) and some squats. Did each until I couldn't and then moved to the next and back around again.

My legs are in much better shape than my arms unsurprisingly, the squats were all the way down so that my thighs were below parallel, feet flat, toes out. I did 20,15,15,15,10.

I'm dead, like jelly.

I don't have anything here to try reverse rows on as the dinner table is glass.

andycapps

Thanks for the reply. I think I might not have been exact enough. After starting to hit the gym my ass in general has become rounder and if I look it from the side it is definitely bigger. My main concern is like I said that straight from the back it is really non-existing. I made a really quick and lousy comparison about what I mean, but my butt kinda even curves inside from the sides and I am thinking is there anything I can do to change that and make it wider. I am starting to think that maybe I just don't have the awesome ass genetics. I am just hoping it will look bigger in comparison when I lose weight and get smaller waist if nothing else helps.

My wife wants the same thing. Wants the small waist, big ass, and of course big tits. I'm okay with all of this. Getting her there is going to be the hard part, but I think she's committed to it. I'm guessing that to get a wider ass you need to focus on the outer part of of the glutes? And just time? Of course genes probably help too. If you find out more info on good exercises for this let me know and I'll share them with her.

Wondering if using a cable machine on the ankle and then lifting out to the side would be a good one for that. No cable machine at our house yet but that's the next purchase for our home gym.

andycapps

Fair enough then!

Yeah, I'm cool with her getting them, but I just told her that I want it to be done by a reputable surgeon, so the plan is to fly down to Miami and have a Dr do it there that does tons of them and has great reviews. I'd rather pay a little bit more knowing that it's permanent and that it needs to be done correctly the first time.

MikeyB

First week back in running. Managed to do a run/walk of 14 km in an hour and 25 minutes. Not ideal, but not bad. I've got 7 weeks until the half-marathon. As long as I avoid injury, this should be doable.

RoeBear

Oh come on. You look extremely good like always.
Thanks, always appreciated ;)
Haha keep you fucking spirit up man. Listen, you might feel flat now but it will get a lot worse :D Nah, im kidding, my experiene as you get more and more shredded it takes less and less to feel full and pumped. Just get your water and sodium and you will be fine! When im shredded to bits i only need like a spoon of peanut butter and veins start popping like crazy.

Yeah I guess I should just keep my mind on the end goal and not just how I'm feeling in the moment. I'm just going to keep on trucking cause I know it'll be worth it once I'm done.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gonna implement a LISS and HIIT regimen along with my weightlifting. A LISS session after my weightlifting sessions and two HIIT sessions a week on my weightlifting off days. See how this works out for the fat loss. Paying special attention to my strength levels.

andycapps

So fitness GAF, which treadmill should I buy? My budget is around $800 and I'd prefer to pick up locally (SEARS, Dicks, Big5) if possible. I favor build quality over advanced features is there is a compromise. Need something that can handle my big frame (200lbs).

Is this one any good?
http://www.sears.com/nordictrack-25018-c-800-treadmill/p-00625018000P

I just got this one, it goes for your price. I got it new with stickers but out of box on Craigslist for $450. Great treadmill so far.

BumRush

Gonna implement a LISS and HIIT regimen along with my weightlifting. A LISS session after my weightlifting sessions and two HIIT sessions a week on my weightlifting off days. See how this works out for the fat loss. Paying special attention to my strength levels.

What type of lifting program are you doing?

Bowser

If I'm reading this correctly, you plan on doing 4 LISS sessions and 2 HIIT sessions a week? Seems a bit like overkill, no?

BlueTsunami

If I'm reading this correctly, you plan on doing 4 LISS sessions and 2 HIIT sessions a week? Seems a bit like overkill, no?

Well LISS would be less intensive, basically something light to finish up the weightlifting session and HIIT to do something on the off days. I know HIIT, generally, is recommended as something to be done no more than 2-3 times a week. Maybe I could scale back on the LISS to two times a week if it negatively effects me. I know some people do a mixture of HIIT/LISS weekly, just unsure how this is programmed out.

ldcommando

Banned
Finally squatted my bw. And also did not stall on 90 lbs ohp, even got a single of 110. It was a good day at the gym.
Just remembered, up to 30 lbs on weighted chin ups.

ILoveBish

Lol, so around 10 days of eating more then usual, and yesterday the fish I had might have been breaded. And I've had like 10 quest bars in 3 days. Gained 13lbs and I'm bloated to heck lol. Back to normal eating now. Should be back to normal and losing by end of the week.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
After 2 weeks of taking time off because of moving houses I'm back in the gym

Did a massive myprotein order with protein cookies, protein powder and creatine.

Started dieting from today onwards until the 10th of April to shred off a bit of fat.

Currently around 10-12% BF

Anyone ever had a bulging disk? Not sure how long I've had it, maybe a long time. I can still go to the gym but I can't do stuff like deadlift or squats, I think (unless I'm really light). Physiotherapist has just given me some stretches to do, doesn't really seem like much of a solution.

Kinda sucks!

Bowser

Well LISS would be less intensive, basically something light to finish up the weightlifting session and HIIT to do something on the off days. I know HIIT, generally, is recommended as something to be done no more than 2-3 times a week. Maybe I could scale back on the LISS to two times a week if it negatively effects me. I know some people do a mixture of HIIT/LISS weekly, just unsure how this is programmed out.

True, I was just making a general comment. If you've got the time to do it and it doesn't interfere with your lifts, more power to you.

BlueTsunami

True, I was just making a general comment. If you've got the time to do it and it doesn't interfere with your lifts, more power to you.

Thinking about it though, I'll def heed your warning. I tend to be overzealous when it comes to programming. Probably the case here since I haven't done any cardio since sometime last year.

Went up to 315 on back squats this morning and did a few singles. Its been awhile since I could squat that much. Felt great. Deadlifts kicked my ass afterwards however.

my friend who does MMA wants me to workout with him and his trainer, I am not looking forward to doing any enurance training or cardio. I know it would be good for me though

ACE 1991

TFW people are surprised to hear that you lift. I have skinny ass arms, but people who actually lift can tell that I do. It seems like if you don't have guns no one notices differences. I'm thinking about just throwing in 3 sets of tri push downs and curls after every workout to see what happens, they are so damn stubborn.

BlueTsunami

TFW people are surprised to hear that you lift. I have skinny ass arms, but people who actually lift can tell that I do. It seems like if you don't have guns no one notices differences. I'm thinking about just throwing in 3 sets of tri push downs and curls after every workout to see what happens, they are so damn stubborn.

Dips and curls! Biceps can be fidgety. Maybe play with tempo and doing slow reps to increase time under tension.

Szu

my friend who does MMA wants me to workout with him and his trainer, I am not looking forward to doing any enurance training or cardio. I know it would be good for me though

Use your beard advantage. Combined with proper head movement, they will have a hard time locating your chin.

BlueTsunami

Oh okay. I was going to say, supplement Super Sets for your accessory lifts and you won't really need a ton of separate Cardio...

Considering volume, I seem to put more emphasis on weightlifting volume on upper body days so maybe ill do two LISS days on lower body days. Something to consider. I should, honestly, slowly integrate cardio. Now I'm backing off this cardio-pocalypse programming I've strung together.

Bowser

Considering volume, I seem to put more emphasis on weightlifting volume on upper body days so maybe ill do two LISS days on lower body days. Something to consider. I should, honestly, slowly integrate cardio. Now I'm backing off this cardio-pocalypse programming I've strung together.

Ha, I'm planning on adding cardio back now that we're getting close to summer time in the next couple of weeks, but definitely taking it slow. Planning to start with one LISS session and one HIIT session per week (along with starting 5/3/1 with a 4 day split).

Of course, all of this is happening next week, after my trip to New Orleans this weekend (Roommate's bachelor party trip, going to be much alcohol and greasy food to be had).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bench is coming along nicely again. No videos today though. Gonna scale back on them and just record PBs. Got 355 for 4 and the 5th rep stalled half way. Backed up and did 3 sets at 315x5 200 face pulls some curls and some CGBP.

Shoulder feels fine, so long as I keep it pain free, I'll keep pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom