• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Good stuff!

Good progress man. Looking a lot bigger in the chest.

Hard to tell because your hand isn't on your hip like your before picture. Consistency! ;)

In all seriousness, huge progress. Way to work!

definitely see a difference. gj brotherjackdood!

Oh man, thanks guys, I am nearly misty eyed here seeing Fit-GAF elders give a thumbs up!

Oh my! I totally love your chest now. ^_^

Thanks!! It's funny, the only way i can tell something has happened with the chest is shirt fit

I have been into working out (machines though) only around 4 months now so I am just waiting to get enough changes to post some comparison pictures.

My weight don't seem to go down all the time, but there can be weeks in between when it doesn't seem to move at all but then it can suddenly just decide to drop a bit more once. Generally the average weight loss have now been around a pound / 0,5 kilos a week. That doesn't seem to be enough, but is that normal?

Edit: I might be a bit too self concious to post any pictures in some time now though. Hahahah, I don't know should I be worried or flattered (some people seem to have way too much time in their hands), but I got linked numerous pages of people talking about me, evaluating my looks and calling me fat in one forums. Nothing recent, just from last autumn, but still. Some person even drew me from a gif and they have stalked tons of pics of me as well.

Interesting.

I would be ecstatic if I could lose consistently 0.5kg a week, that's 25kg a year! That's a great pace. It's normal for me to see 3-4 week stalls despite very strict regime. It takes serious dedication not to drop the program but just trust the process.

It's same with weights. You really can't see much difference in your muscle mass in a month or a quarter of a year. You just have to keep grinding and trust that you will grow doing so. My big lifts are truly unimpressive in relation to my BW, but even so they seem to work by slowly growing the mass over a very long period of time.

Edit: that's totally creepy!!

Fuzzery

I'm really curious about the carb meal after working out. I always thought I was supposed to eat it before I work out, for the energy?

I like the idea of keto. I heard that it's not good when you lift, though, since you need the carbs for energy? Any idea if that's true?

Nope, it's not necessary. In fact, plenty of people lift fasted. The body is very efficient at maintaining glucose levels, and you have plenty of stores to last you through an hour or so of lifting. If you were running an 8 hour marathon, and weren't on keto, that might be a different story.

Since you're already off carbs, you might as well try keto!

Fuzzery

I might look into it.

Truth is, I'm a fiend for ramen, sushi, curry, macarons, donuts, and ANYTHING SUGAR-Y.

.... :<

But thank you again for your help!

Haha, I'm not on keto myself because I like food too much. Honestly, don't worry about diet too much, if you are looking to gain weight/mass and get stronger. Just lift heavy, lift often, eat a lot, and sleep a lot. Simple.

Sadetar

Embarrassing walk, yay! Haha. I hope you have a nice time :)

I did some of my work out but it's too stinking hot in my apartment right now so I'll do more later tonight.
I have also noticed that if it is really hot at the gym it really affects the workout. So yeah, do more training later on when it has cooled down a bit. :)

???? How rude and bizarrely obsessive. :/
That sounds incredibly invasive and outright rude.

If it's any consolation, you're a pretty foxy girl.
No kidding. It is most likely the point of the trolling in there. It is just extremely sad that they actually used their valuable time to bother to do something like that. Those poor souls.

Oh and Evil, thanks sweetie. ^_^*

Thanks!! It's funny, the only way i can tell something has happened with the chest is shirt fit
Well, your chest looks glorious at the moment with that shirt on so... ;)

I would be ecstatic if I could lose consistently 0.5kg a week, that's 25kg a year! That's a great pace. It's normal for me to see 3-4 week stalls despite very strict regime. It takes serious dedication not to drop the program but just trust the process.

It's same with weights. You really can't see much difference in your muscle mass in a month or a quarter of a year. You just have to keep grinding and trust that you will grow doing so. My big lifts are truly unimpressive in relation to my BW, but even so they seem to work by slowly growing the mass over a very long period of time.
I have noticed that this week I haven't been as strict with the diet. I have been eating extra almonds and pumpkin seeds and what not, since I just bought new ones and roasted them. Bad habit, will get rid of it and drag myself back on track.

Like you said, it needs huge amounts of motivation and dedication to stick with the work outs and diet. Good for you for continuing to follow them. :)

FitGAF have just made me want gainz even more than I did previously. I want it all and I want it now... But yes, I am aware that it takes time so I guess I better just continue on what ever I am doing and hope that I can soon change it to something better.

Edit: that's totally creepy!!
That I heartily agree!

Says more about them than it does about you. Sad wankers.
It seems that you are very correct. Some of the comments are like this beautiful example in here: "Enjoy griping on here, I'll be awkwardly having sex with these glorious fat girl tits. (plus a link to me at work)"

I am literally laughing my ass off at the moment! Even though it is totally creepy and extremely odd it is actually also oh so priceless! Time well spent I am sure.

"Not one, but two pieces of Sadetar fanart have been posted just on this page. We are past the point of no return, friends. If someone writes some fanfic, our journey will be complete."
weQDGML.png

Yep, yep. Thanks for your kind and understanding words! I think that I will just take the comments as they were meant to be taken - meaningless bullshit from sad wanking virgins. :p Oh and also as an extra motivation to work out. It seems I never know where my pics might end...

2 critiques:

1)You round you back sometimes when you lift up.Try to keep your head and shoulders square(meaning as one straight line).

2)You should hold the lift for a few secs once you reach vertical. If you have trouble with the grip, chalk and farmer walks will help you with grip problems.

But aside from those things, you're lifting big weights! Keep going!

Basically, avoid doing this:

deadlift-technique-rounding-the-back-neutral-spine.jpg

OK, so pause at the top of the motion and focus more on a straighter back. I thought my back was fairly straight, but I'll practice more at a lighter weight and make improvements in that area. Thank you.

It doesn't look like you're pulling the slack out of the bar at all. When you set up, start with your butt up in the air, and as you roll back into the bottom position, use your legs to give tension to the barbell.

The biggest issue is one that Pete Rock pointed out for mine: you're very much making it a two fulcrum lift. You are locking out your legs way before you are locking out at your hips, and so you're having to use your lower back to finish off the last part of the lift, which is where your exaggerated hip thrust is coming from. You have to pull the bar up along your legs. The way you're doing it is dangerous and it is how I've injured myself in the past until I fixed it. A good way to think about it is that the deadlift is a press, not a pull. Press your legs through the floor concentrating your pressure through the back of your foot, and use your arms to guide the bar along your leg. This'll keep your hinges in sync so they lock out simultaneously. Squeeze your glutes as you move up through the life, and brace your abs and lift up and through them. You should be feeling a lot of tension through your abs as you get up through the lift.

The last rep is probably your best rep. You do a better job of keeping everything in sync there. It's not perfect but it's better than the others.

What is "the slack" that you're referring to? I hear the term from time-to-time, but I thought it meant to make sure my hamstrings are tight and my arms are fully extended before beginning the lift. Am I off base with that?

I do notice the bar pulling along my shins but it does seem to come off from my thighs as you've pointed out. I will work on getting it to be a smoother motion rather than two separate motions and also focus on ab and glute engagement.

I think I'll drop it all down to 135 lbs for a while until I get these kinks worked out. Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone else care to give a critique? It seems I definitely could use the advice.

Leeness

I have also noticed that if it is really hot at the gym it really affects the workout. So yeah, do more training later on when it has cooled down a bit. :)

That's what I did! Just did 40 minutes of my weight circuit dvd :D With 5lbs weights again. The sounds coming out of my mouth lmao. Neighbours must think I'm being slowly killed in here when I'm doing my weights routine. Hurts so good ;_;

No kidding. It is most likely the point of the trolling in there. It is just extremely sad that they actually used their valuable time to bother to do something like that. Those poor souls.

It seems that you are very correct. Some of the comments are like this beautiful example in here: "Enjoy griping on here, I'll be awkwardly having sex with these glorious fat girl tits. (plus a link to me at work)"

I am literally laughing my ass off at the moment! Even though it is totally creepy and extremely odd it is actually also oh so priceless! Time well spent I am sure.

"Not one, but two pieces of Sadetar fanart have been posted just on this page. We are past the point of no return, friends. If someone writes some fanfic, our journey will be complete."

Yep, yep. Thanks for your kind and understanding words! I think that I will just take the comments as they were meant to be taken - meaningless bullshit from sad wanking virgins. :p Oh and also as an extra motivation to work out. It seems I never know where my pics might end...

This whole thing is so fucking bizarre to me. How did they even find you?? Like...did they just randomly find a picture of you and spawn this weird trolling group???

I don't understand the internet sometimes, despite growing up on it. SMH

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious about the carb meal after working out. I always thought I was supposed to eat it before I work out, for the energy?

I like the idea of keto. I heard that it's not good when you lift, though, since you need the carbs for energy? Any idea if that's true?

I'm only one person, but I fully recommend carbing up after weight training, especially if you want to grow. If you're not eating carbs, you're probably not going to progress very quickly when it comes to weight training. You'll like tire out more quickly because you won't have any glycogen available in your muscles for intra-workout training. Some people weight train with a diet of zero carbs and claim to have good results, but as far as I'm aware, there aren't any great scientific experiments on the matter. I know Dominic D'Agostino, PhD. is working on one where he tests the ketogenic diet on people who are already high-performance athletes. I heard him talking about some preliminary results on a recent podcast (http://body.io/body-io-fm-13-dr-dominic-dagostino/), and he believes that it is possible to build significant muscle mass without carbs.

With that said, I think it will be much easier and faster to build muscle with a diet that has some carbs. I'm currently doing a cyclical carb diet where I eat very high fat/decent protein/as close to zero carbs as possible normally, but eat carbs in the evening only on days when I train, and only after training is complete. Heavy training will drain your skeletal muscle glycogen stores, and if you consume a decent amount of highly glycemic carbs after weight training, the hypothesis is that those carbs will be preferentially used to refill your depleted glycogen stores, rather than get stored as fat (as they are when they aren't burned for energy on the spot and your glycogen stores in your liver and muscle are full).

This is supported by research that shows that insulin sensitivity gets lower as the day progresses (for non-metabolically deranged individuals), so fat tissue is less likely to suck up the glucose, but at the same time, resistance training causes GLUT4 receptors in muscle tissue to move to the surface. GLUT4 is a transporter of glucose, and operates independently of insulin to transport glucose into the muscle cells. So in the evening after weight training, your fat cells are relatively non-receptive to taking in glucose, while your muscles not only have plenty of room to store it as glycogen, but the GLUT4 receptors make them very receptive of taking in the glucose. This all comes together to make it very advantageous to consume your carbs in the evening after lifting heavy things, or so the theory goes.

There are a lot of people out there who have found great success using the above, which in recent times has been championed by a very knowledgeable guy named John Kiefer (whose website was where the podcast I linked above is hosted). I've been trying it myself for a little bit and the results seem promising. I definitely get exhausted less quickly in the gym than when I was consuming zero carbs 100% of the time, and I'm not seeing any adverse effects to my body fat despite having some pretty ridiculous meals on my carb nights. I've only been doing it seriously for a few weeks, though, so time will tell.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I think it's totally worth a look, especially if you're looking to bulk up some.

Matugi

OK, so pause at the top of the motion and focus more on a straighter back. I thought my back was fairly straight, but I'll practice more at a lighter weight and make improvements in that area. Thank you.

What is "the slack" that you're referring to? I hear the term from time-to-time, but I thought it meant to make sure my hamstrings are tight and my arms are fully extended before beginning the lift. Am I off base with that?

I do notice the bar pulling along my shins but it does seem to come off from my thighs as you've pointed out. I will work on getting it to be a smoother motion rather than two separate motions and also focus on ab and glute engagement.

I think I'll drop it all down to 135 lbs for a while until I get these kinks worked out. Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone else care to give a critique? It seems I definitely could use the advice.

The slack is basically the flex the bar has. When you start your lift you want the bar to already have some level of tension (i.e. the bar is tight, it feels like you've already started the lift). Pulling the bar straight off the ground without pulling the slack out can kinda cause you to use too much arms and can lead to bicep pulls. It's also a good cue and can help you get a good, tight set-up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you! This is really helpful information, and thank you for taking the time to write it. I appreciate it. I think I will try this non-carbs except for after lifting.

I'm not looking to bulk super fast but I'd love to make some muscle gains without too much fat :).

Please let me know how it goes. I think it will work quite well for you. Just don't be surprised if you gain a few pounds in water weight if you've been low/zero carbing it for a while.

ILoveBish

I thought carb nite was a huge waste of time. In on keto 24/7, and after the gym only, I put 20g of dextrose in my protein shake for a insulin spike. I personally am more of a fan of being fully keto adapted.

YMMV of course. I tried tkd, CKD, carb night. Skd with an insulin spike after the gym is a good method.

The slack is basically the flex the bar has. When you start your lift you want the bar to already have some level of tension (i.e. the bar is tight, it feels like you've already started the lift). Pulling the bar straight off the ground without pulling the slack out can kinda cause you to use too much arms and can lead to bicep pulls. It's also a good cue and can help you get a good, tight set-up.

I see, thank you. Never thought about the bar's flex as a factor but that makes a lot of sense.

I'll see if I can squeeze in a set or two at 135 lbs next time I lift and post up a hopefully improved form at that time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought carb nite was a huge waste of time. In on keto 24/7, and after the gym only, I put 20g of dextrose in my protein shake for a insulin spike. I personally am more of a fan of being fully keto adapted.

YMMV of course. I tried tkd, CKD, carb night. Skd with an insulin spike after the gym is a good method.

Yeah, you really have to find what works best for you, and a lot of this stuff is still just hypothesis, since there isn't a ton of conclusive research in the area. We can only make certain assumptions based off certain things we do know as fact.

It does seem like a lot of the benefits from spiking insulin every once in a while while on a ketogenic diet can be reaped simply from causing an insulin spike and may not necessarily require a large carb load, which I'm sure you know since you choose to use dextrose to get that spike instead of loading up on sweet potatoes and rice or something.

I hope more research is done in this area in the future, but I'm fairly convinced that eating carbs throughout the day everyday is not a good path if you're interested in optimizing your health, especially if you don't have a ton of muscle mass and aren't fairly to very active physically.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I wouldn't bother with them, supposed to take them while cutting I believe. If I were to spend money on amino acids, I'd rather just buy BCAA's but that's just me.

hmm

I always felt that I got great results out of it while I was 20 - but that was six years ago, and I was taking a ton of shit that I didn't really gauge properly back then.

ILoveBish

Yeah, you really have to find what works best for you, and a lot of this stuff is still just hypothesis, since there isn't a ton of conclusive research in the area. We can only make certain assumptions based off certain things we do know as fact.

It does seem like a lot of the benefits from spiking insulin every once in a while while on a ketogenic diet can be reaped simply from causing an insulin spike and may not necessarily require a large carb load, which I'm sure you know since you choose to use dextrose to get that spike instead of loading up on sweet potatoes and rice or something.

I hope more research is done in this area in the future, but I'm fairly convinced that eating carbs throughout the day everyday is not a good path if you're interested in optimizing your health, especially if you don't have a ton of muscle mass and aren't fairly to very active physically.

Absolutely agree. I got my dextrose from a homebrew wine place local to me, 3 bucks for a pound. I just want the quick insulin spike after the gym and this is the cheapest way to get it.

Caelus

Hey GAF, hope you don't mind me butting in but I just hit my 1RM PR in Deadlift- 275 lbs. I've never tried to do a 1RM before and I felt seriously amazing afterwards. I just spent 15 mins afterwards walking around the weight room on a mini-high, I got some stares but it was so worth it.

On a separate note, does anyone have any knowledge as to how lifting weights may have or may not have stunted their growth at a young age? I'm 16 right now and have been lifting for two months, 5' 8'' and taller than both my parents so far but I'd like to be a few inches more tall. Do I have nothing to worry about if I have good form provided I eat more or should I lay off certain lifts?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey GAF, hope you don't mind me butting in but I just hit my 1RM PR in Deadlift- 275 lbs. I've never tried to do a 1RM before and I felt seriously amazing afterwards. I just spent 15 mins afterwards walking around the weight room on a mini-high, I got some stares but it was so worth it.

On a separate note, does anyone have any knowledge as to how lifting weights may have or may not have stunted their growth at a young age? I'm 16 right now and have been lifting for two months, 5' 8'' and taller than both my parents so far but I'd like to be a few inches more tall. Do I have nothing to worry about if I have good form provided I eat more or should I lay off certain lifts?

Old unsupported myth: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...training-for-kids/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Mr.City

Very much not true. You're going to find out there are of negative half-truths about lifting out there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Just want to say congratulations on getting into strength training so young. You're going to be better off than most people if you keep up a sensible program.

Found a really good video for deadlift form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY&index=9&list=PLMzR1TXi-sL24_gHPHJIHIoun4trkGUJo

I had to decrease the weight in order to fully implement all the changes suggested in the video but I feel a lot better. I no longer have this slight pinch that I used to get in the back of my neck from performing deadlifts. I did not realize I had such horrible form.

I see, thank you. Never thought about the bar's flex as a factor but that makes a lot of sense.

I'll see if I can squeeze in a set or two at 135 lbs next time I lift and post up a hopefully improved form at that time.

Tater Tot's video is a really good example of a great DL form.

Richard Hawkthorne seems like a knowledgable dude.

Late night front squat!!!

This is the first time doing a front squat with plates. I've been practicing with just the bar the past couple of days. Any critiques would be appreciated. The camera angle sucks so I apologize if my feet aren't visible but my stance was a little over shoulder length with my feet turned slightly outward.

http://youtu.be/TGxSGg9dtsk

Go_Ly_Dow

Frustrated because my past couple of workouts have been great and for whatever reason I keep waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep and am unable to enter deep sleep again.

Hope its not going to waste.

Sadetar

Fuck that, Sadetar. Let us at them. Darth will crush the forum with his quads.
And MTP will shrug them to death!
Brolic will then ohp them and toss them out a window.
lol you guys are killing me here

but seriously, fuck those people
Lol, you're the best. :p

That's what I did! Just did 40 minutes of my weight circuit dvd :D With 5lbs weights again. The sounds coming out of my mouth lmao. Neighbours must think I'm being slowly killed in here when I'm doing my weights routine. Hurts so good ;_;
That's the way to go!

This whole thing is so fucking bizarre to me. How did they even find you?? Like...did they just randomly find a picture of you and spawn this weird trolling group???

I don't understand the internet sometimes, despite growing up on it. SMH
Hahah, some of them if not all are from here as well. It seems they don't really appreciate my posting style. :p Oh, and it is not only me, they have nearly couple thousands pages or rant about GAF related stuff it seems. They must have really wild and enjoyable lives. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom