• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

Late night front squat!!!

This is the first time doing a front squat with plates. I've been practicing with just the bar the past couple of days. Any critiques would be appreciated. The camera angle sucks so I apologize if my feet aren't visible but my stance was a little over shoulder length with my feet turned slightly outward.

http://youtu.be/TGxSGg9dtsk

Looks good for the most part. Try to keep everything in your core tighter, it'll keep you from getting a bad back arch when moving up to higher weights which I find happens more often in front squats

Hello FitGAF!
Does anyone have or know of the next best back exercise to do if you aren't able to do pull-ups?

The only doorframe that my pull-up bar can fit in happens to be the same area where the foundation is week in my apartment. I don't need to make matters worse so I was wondering if there was something I could do that would be as good as (or close to) doing pull-ups.

I have plenty of weights and dumbells at home so if there is a weighted exercise you recommend, I can do it.

I could go to a gym, but I find it easier to stay motivated if I'm following a 30-45min DVD instead of following a workout sheet on my own that takes me much longer because of breaks distractions etc...
Obviously the back workout would be the exception since pull-ups are no longer an option.

If any of you have any recommendations on exercises that I can substitute, please let me know. Sets, weight, daily, weekly, etc... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Frustrated because my past couple of workouts have been great and for whatever reason I keep waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep and am unable to enter deep sleep again.

Hope its not going to waste.

Same here.
I gotta stop watching tv in bed!

IDK how ya'll eat 2600+ calories a day

Legs still in pain from Monday workout has taken out using my bottom half entirely(even going down stairs is painful), and I'm only getting a few hours of sleep a night and can't get back to deep sleep.

So its been a rough first week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
IDK how ya'll eat 2600+ calories a day

Legs still in pain from Monday workout has taken out using my bottom half entirely(even going down stairs is painful), and I'm only getting a few hours of sleep a night and can't get back to deep sleep.

So its been a rough first week.

You'll get there.

Also 2600 is easy if you remember the keyword:

QUESARITO

Pete Rock

Frustrated because my past couple of workouts have been great and for whatever reason I keep waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep and am unable to enter deep sleep again.
Whenever this happens to me I get up and having a little vaporizing session and it puts me back to sleep for another 4 hours minimum. I would be absolutely wasted at work the next day if I only tried running on 5 hours of sleep after a workout. Then I would crash at 4pm for a 4 hour nap and my whole schedule would be fucked up. Not happening.

Yes, I try to avoid looking at my computer monitor or phone for at least half an hour before I go to sleep and sometimes this still happens. Hmmm.

Also, I've been preaching about taking the slack out of the bar for a while now, nobody listens!

If you watch my deadlift videos you see it all goes in a fluid motion and right before the lift is initiated the bar bends (I'm taking the slack out of the bar).

Also, all of my reps look exactly th same.
This is why you are my deadlift heroooo!!! It is great to see someone who puts it all together so well and illustrates it on video. Slack out of the bar and chest up to set posterior chain are so important and the main cues I focus on right before the bar touches my shins, then it's all systems goooo!

Those Kino Yoga vids, oh my goodness; think I may skip the gym and work out from home if you guys catch my drift "wink wink"
Her attractiveness is definitely distracting, which is kind of hilarious because the information in her videos is really quite good. Definitely inspires me to get with a flexible woman next time I'm in the market though, I mean got damn!

Apparently all the hip young adults in my area get punch cards for ten dollar sessions of hot yoga. The problem with that is they are all a bunch of flakes and don't actually do yoga every day so it is highly doubtful they will have the conditioning I am looking for.

All the women at my free local Y yoga classes are pushing sixty, good for them, but unfortunately I am their eye candy instead of the other way around ;_; boo hoo

They must have really wild and enjoyable lives. ;)
Basically. Keep your head up and do what you want, life is too short to cater to the whims of the insecure and socially anxious.

Matugi

Another shorter dude in the gym today, probably about my size, but I easily claimed the king of manlets over him by out benching him by a solid 40lbs. It's a small victory, pun intended.

Rounding back into form, slow slow process but shoulder pain is almost all gone and strength is coming back in a big way in the last month

poor choice of words my man, hahaha

Another shorter dude in the gym today, probably about my size, but I easily claimed the king of manlets over him by out benching him by a solid 40lbs. It's a small victory, pun intended.

HaccCHACHACHACHA

This was a first for 3 consecutive days, usually I'll do 2 on/1 off. The problem I have I think is the weights I'm using for it all. Especially when you say heavy to light, would it be best to do something like this in terms of weight?

1st = MAX
2nd = -10%
3rd = -10%

Just asking due to reading the 5x5 program says to do it the opposite and add little weight (5lb) each time with a total of 60lb heavier at the end of month.

5x5 also calls for a day of rest in between workouts. You're going to burn yourself out trying to squat heavy even two days in a row with one of those including heavy deadlifts. Google "block training" is the best advice I can give since this isn't really my area.

Also, I've been preaching about taking the slack out of the bar for a while now, nobody listens!

I listened! It usually takes about 4-5 tugs before I feel my glutes start activating instead of my low back and from there it's all gravy. Take the slack out while you push a little on your heels guys, get those butts firing* before you start the pull.

*Do not fart as this will decrease intra-abdominal pressure. Farting for a rocket boost IS permissible as you're coming out of the hole on squats.

Out of interest, where were you? I'm thinking the Garth is the only place that sounds like it fits, but South Wales is a pretty big place. Could also be somewhere in the Gower.

Bridgend actually. Though I wish I was running in the Gower. That would look even better in the mornings.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Body fat % test at work today. Based on the results I'm very high, but that's usual for me (I have a weird body type too). The interesting thing is that I'm about 15lbs higher than the last 2 years, but still the same %.

Weights and P90X workouts must have given me a muscle bump.

2012 - 205 lbs - 26.3% body fat
2013 - 206 lbs - 24.1% body fat
2014 - 221 lbs - 26.2% body fat

Go_Ly_Dow

what's your height? always curious what someone sees as a "manlet" :p

rokkerkory

Body fat % test at work today. Based on the results I'm very high, but that's usual for me (I have a weird body type too). The interesting thing is that I'm about 15lbs higher than the last 2 years, but still the same %.

Weights and P90X workouts must have given me a muscle bump.

2012 - 205 lbs - 26.3% body fat
2013 - 206 lbs - 24.1% body fat
2014 - 221 lbs - 26.2% body fat

Looks good, what is your diet? Maybe focus there to reduce fat more.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looks good, what is your diet? Maybe focus there to reduce fat more.

Have been changing the diet for the better over the last few weeks. I eat at a calorie deficit and eat a bunch of veggies, chicken, quinoa, etc. The weekends were my issue, and I've been getting better there.

I just find it interesting that I gained 15lbs but no body fat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
?

2012 - 205 lbs - 26.3% body fat (53.915 lbs)
2013 - 206 lbs - 24.1% body fat (49.646 lbs)
2014 - 221 lbs - 26.2% body fat (57.902 lbs)

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I just assumed he meant that his body fat % didn't go up, rather than saying that he actually didn't gain any fat tissue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
At 168.8 and going lower... Time for gym day!!!!

Do you guys want me to take videos of squatting with just the bar?

You have such an interesting attitude. Are you like this in real life? Just wondering.

How often do you typically have a cheat day? What's your diet like?

I cheat maybe once every 2 weeks with a cheat meal. Have a cheat day once a month depending on how good my diet has been.

Diet is pretty much chicken and broccoli 3x a day 5-6 days a week. Ill sub the chicken in for tuna or tilapia. I keep things very simple. Since its summer I want to keep my calories pretty low. 1600-1900 cals a day. Fats 45-65g/Protein 150-170/Carbs >>50g. That's really what I have been gunning the past 2 months.

On an average weekday my diet is this

Meal 1 (Pre workout) - 2 Tbs of PB and protein shake
Meal 2 (Post workout) - 2 Tbs and protein shake
Meal 3 - 4oz chicken and broccoli
Meal 4 -4oz chicken and broccoli
Meal 5 - 2 Tbs of PB 4oz chicken and spinach
Meal 6 - 2 servings of cottage cheese or a protein shake

If I get hungry I snack on celery and I don't count vegetable macros

I'm at the point that I dont even eat food for taste anymore, I only eat for my goals. I see great food all the time in NYC and I just like to look at it, but have no desire to eat it lol.

I forgot about Sundays. On Sunday I like to still eat at a deficit or maintenance and slightly increase my carbs with some fruit and oatmeal. If I go refeed with carbs than ill keep my fats low. No more than 40g.

iddqd

All this recent deadlift talk here actually helped me today.
Did something close to 300, clenched the buttocks, easy money.

Thanks fitness gaf!

Sadetar

Oh yes! The feeling when you can go buy new work out clothes because you have lost so much fat. Thank gods I at least was wise enough to buy most of my clothes with a bit too small size so now they are perfect, just the pants were too big. But yay, them noob gainz!

Even though this damn working out and getting healthy is ridiculously expensive. Protein and good fats pay way more than cheap carbs and I have needed to buy sport clothes, shoes and hopefully at some point a whole new wardrobe.

Basically. Keep your head up and do what you want, life is too short to cater to the whims of the insecure and socially anxious.
Thanks and I definitely will. I have already been laughing my ass off because of them (well spent awesome working day with just drinking coffee, getting paid, laughing with colleagues and going through their posts.) Hahahah, with all honesty I think it is absolutely hilarious that someone really bothers to be so pissed about me and this forum (and still visit and post in here) that they find the time to actually whine about it. ^_^

Even if I actually also pity them a bit (doesn't stop me from laughing though). At least one person who was easily identified in here has been really depressed and not invited to a birthday party. So yeah, if they find some happiness to their miserable lives by mocking me, be my guest. :p

Apparently all the hip young adults in my area get punch cards for ten dollar sessions of hot yoga. The problem with that is they are all a bunch of flakes and don't actually do yoga every day so it is highly doubtful they will have the conditioning I am looking for.

All the women at my free local Y yoga classes are pushing sixty, good for them, but unfortunately I am their eye candy instead of the other way around ;_; boo hoo
Awwww, I would definitely start yoga if we would have eye candy like you around... ;)

On that note I went to one class, female only gym, obviously no good looking lads and the teacher was horrid. (I am waiting my regular gym to open again in the end of next month.)

But I noticed I can after 1,5 years again get my palms to the floor again with straight legs! The back is definitely better than it used to be. Not yet pain free all the time, but at least sometimes! The new programm from the orthopedic doctor is a miracle maker.

What do you mean?
Honey, I might be wrong, but I think he were referring that even if people are ready to help, they aren't constantly just waiting that "Oh, hopefully Ashodin will come and delight us with some awesome videos so we could feel that we are being useful and helping him out".

Perhaps you worded yourself funnily, but I assume you tried to ask that do people in here think it could be beneficial for you, if you would post a video squatting with just the bar and if they think it would be a good idea, would these absolutely smashing human beings in here be adorable enough to use their valuable time to check it out and give tips.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hello FitGAF!

Same here.

Whenever this happens to me I get up and having a little vaporizing session and it puts me back to sleep for another 4 hours minimum. I would be absolutely wasted at work the next day if I only tried running on 5 hours of sleep after a workout. Then I would crash at 4pm for a 4 hour nap and my whole schedule would be fucked up. Not happening.

Yes, I try to avoid looking at my computer monitor or phone for at least half an hour before I go to sleep and sometimes this still happens. Hmmm.

think my reason is because i don't like sleeping if thirsty so will drink a bit before bed. have a weak bladder so not the best thing to do.

not that it matters but wouldn't class that as 'manlet'

i'm 5'9 with a haircut. 5'10 when i keep it long and spiky!

Ashodin

Perhaps you worded yourself funnily, but I assume you tried to ask that do people in here think it could be beneficial for you, if you would post a video squatting with just the bar and if they think it would be a good idea, would these absolutely smashing human beings in here be adorable enough to use their valuable time to check it out and give tips.

Yep you got it!

Chocobro

It is good to get into the habit of recording yourself periodically, not just for form checks, but it's also nice to see yourself progress in lifts (even if you have a log of numbers). I looked back at my squat videos when I started last August and they were hard to watch; I was squatting high bar with low bar cues and it looked really awkward even if I was hitting depth.

TylerD

Bad sleep, low energy, best workout yet!

My preworkout gave me a great boost. Will post form videos on squat and power clean later. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight but will play some of that Wii U goodness before.

Feeling good...

I'm fucking hyped to get into the gym tomorrow and get some new and hopefully improved deadlifts recorded to see if I've made some proper improvements. Just going at it with 135 lbs until I get this form stuff tightened up.

Ashodin

I watched the elitefts on squatting, feel hyped to try to fix my form. Did some squats with the bar without weights today, didn't record because I don't want to ask for form checks until I think I'm doing it right (will continue to study hard and practice often).

Leeness

Hahah, some of them if not all are from here as well. It seems they don't really appreciate my posting style. :p Oh, and it is not only me, they have nearly couple thousands pages or rant about GAF related stuff it seems. They must have really wild and enjoyable lives. ;)

For sure lol. Man. So silly.

Went on a two hour walk today. Not a fast one (had a young kid with me), but I feel I walked a lot so I think I'll leave it at that today. Tomorrow, weights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom