• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey I appreciate the feedback but I wasn't saying "I don't feel like going." I was curious about what you and other people do when you feel tired and exhausted. If it's a matter of "tough it out" then so be it, but that was my question.

Tough love brother.

My real answer is suck it up butter cup, progress and success ain't easy. If it were, we'd all be swole truck lifting monsters, makin that Vince McMahon money and forcing employees to shave their glorious beards.

Go and give it what you got, can't ask any more from you.
Haha. That's a 2 week ban in a political thread in OT!

Another reason I stay out of those threads.

If I'm so tired that I am sleepy or literally have no energy, I will take the day off and push it to the next day. These days are few and far between so in those cases it's okay to skip a day. That exhaustion could be a symptom of sickness, injury, lack of sleep, or your body just saying cool it.

However if I'm just feeling kinda meh and low on energy. I'll drink some coffee and tea and go lift, there's no excuse really.

There have been days where I've walked out of the gym 30 minutes into a workout because it was just going so terribly that there was no point to me being in there. Those days do happen, but they are very very very rare.

If I'm so tired that I am sleepy or literally have no energy, I will take the day off and push it to the next day. These days are few and far between so in those cases it's okay to skip a day. That exhaustion could be a symptom of sickness, injury, lack of sleep, or your body just saying cool it.

However if I'm just feeling kinda meh and low on energy. I'll drink some coffee and tea and go lift, there's no excuse really.

There have been days where I've walked out of the gym 30 minutes into a workout because it was just going so terribly that there was no point to me being in there. Those days do happen, but they are very very very rare.

Thanks for the feedback. It's helpful to know what you do to keep going, even if it means leaving the gym early. And it helps to read that there's no excuse really .

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks for the feedback. It's helpful to know what you do to keep going, even if it means leaving the gym early. And it helps to read that there's no excuse really .

The problem is "quitting" breeds a quitting mentality. So long as you go and give it what you got, you won't spend the rest of the day feeling like a quitter.

There's a reason people stop training/working out in droves. Most people won't stick with it for a year or more. It's hard and when it gets harder, people quit and when they quit, they get more dejected and it snowballs.

If you have to question whether to tough it up and go or take a day off, just go. You will know when you need a rest day.

And this.

Most people don't even need a deload week if their programming is solid.

I haven't had a deload since May, and me before that I hadn't had one in about a year.

Sadetar

I don't remember did I mention yesterday, but I needed to change into gym clothes already at work so I wouldn't miss the start of my pilates class. My coworker stared at me and my butt and said that I have absolutely gorgeous legs and an awesome ass. It seems I don't use short enough skirts. :p Her comment felt sooooo good. ^_^ (Even if it felt totally odd wearing skin tight pants at work for a while.)

Then again I have been thinking about buying these so I guess I should burn the fat and get used to using fitting clothes...

Despite being bummed out post surgery, I had two nice ego boosting moments.

I ran into an old buddy from high school. He was asking how surgery went and I was telling him the full recovery is 4-6 weeks. He then said to let him know when I get back to it. He wants to learn to deadlift and squat and that I "got big fast."

My wife was talking to her nurse co workers last night and one was talking about how she wants to get stronger. Another chimed in (never met me, I guess sees pictures on Facebook) and said you should talk to Cassie's husband, he's huge.

Dem feels ;___; it's the first time non-family has commented. I know it's completely superficial but damn if it doesn't feel good.
...We don't count?
25j.gif

Or are we just part of the family? ^_^

Urgh tell me about it.

I'm just barely keeping the same strength let alone progressing on the 5/3/1 program I'm doing. Legwork seems fine, but presses? Ain't going nowhere.
I feel you.

Legs have always been easy for me, but my arms... ugh. Hate to work with them - meaning they really need it.

Also I have noticed that since I really cut the carbs away the gym has been even more of a pain in the ass. This might be normal, but it is frustrating as hell.

You will get there! :) just take it easy, train your core like the doctors say and you will get there! I believe in you!

Will keep working out! I have four days off and I intend to work out like a dog haha.

----

Hahaha you all will laugh at me but I have the weakest arms everrrrr. I did 20 minutes of kickboxing and then my strength circuit for 35 and upped my weights from... 3lbs to 5lbs and my arms are in so much pain. I can't lift themmmmmm.
I think the back is already starting to be a bit better to be honest and it has been only a week. I try to keep calm and take it easy, but it is hard since I am super excited to get it better. :D

And you go girl! Just remember to rest enough to get most out of it. :)

What comes to arms I feel your pain. Not nice, not nice at all.

If you have to question whether to tough it up and go or take a day off, just go. You will know when you need a rest day.

The problem is "quitting" breeds a quitting mentality. So long as you go and give it what you got, you won't spend the rest of the day feeling like a quitter.

There's a reason people stop training/working out in droves. Most people won't stick with it for a year or more. It's hard and when it gets harder, people quit and when they quit, they get more dejected and it snowballs.

And this.

I haven't had a deload since May, and me before that I hadn't had one in about a year.

Thanks and thanks. Quitting and it's mentality are not an issue here, thankfully. And I do fear the snowball effect.

Where I was coming from is that I have been tired from working and running errands, and also I have been wanting to work out (not necessarily lifting weights) for 5-6 days a week. Recently it's also been tough because I'm moving. So with both external and internal factors going I was curious to see what people do in moments of lethargy, also for morning workouts. All the feedback gives me some ideas on to push or rest, since I have a tendency to rest. But if I see (and do see) you guys say "push it through" then I can and will adjust my mentality. Anyway, that's me, and it's fun getting a conversation going.

Imm0rt4l

Despite being bummed out post surgery, I had two nice ego boosting moments.

I ran into an old buddy from high school. He was asking how surgery went and I was telling him the full recovery is 4-6 weeks. He then said to let him know when I get back to it. He wants to learn to deadlift and squat and that I "got big fast."

My wife was talking to her nurse co workers last night and one was talking about how she wants to get stronger. Another chimed in (never met me, I guess sees pictures on Facebook) and said you should talk to Cassie's husband, he's huge.

Dem feels ;___; it's the first time non-family has commented. I know it's completely superficial but damn if it doesn't feel good.

das it mane, feels good.

...We don't count?
25j.gif

adorable :3

rage1973

I did SS before, but I can't power clean, and I don't want to do deadlifts. I've been doing the 3x5 routine, but I'd really like to do more exercises and not be so limited. I'm a little past the beginning part now.

That's why I'd like to know how the one I linked looks for someone who wants to start a new kind of routine. However, I admit I did not read OP (I DID NOW!), and so I guess I should post.

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 105 pounds
Goal: 115 pounds
Current Training Schedule: Whenever I can (2x to 3x a week)
Current Training Equipment Available: LA Fitness
Comments: Did SS for a bit, would like a new routine. Would like insight on this one--
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...TaUwwvUZ-02Hxd41KqUkQz011t10S7zU0&irpid=27795

Also another question, I know everyone says this is nearly impossible, but I'd really like to put on weight without doing the horrible bulk/cut. Would it be possible to put on only lean muscle/mostly lean muscle? If I don't eat carbs of any kind on non-lifting days, and only carbs on lifting days, would that work? If so, how much of it should be carbs on lifting day? I'm well aware this sounds like a magical fairy request (or at least I've always been led to believe so), but I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this. Thanks again!

You can just go on a slower clean bulk.
Just eat enough to be a little bit higher than maintenance and train hard and keep your diet clear of junk food. You should be able to gain muscle with minimal fat gains but it will just be slower.

abuC

Rounding back into form, slow slow process but shoulder pain is almost all gone and strength is coming back in a big way in the last month -

Did chest today and

Decline -
225x15
225x13
315x9
335x7
355x5
375x2
225x10
225x9

Incline -
225x12
275x7
315x4
335x1
185x15
225x8
225x6

Flat DB bench
120# 3x8

Did hammer strength machine incline/decline until failure, I can do flys but I avoid them for now so in their place I do presses with my palms facing each other and the weights touching. I'm not sure what it's called but I do 3 sets of that with 70s and it feels horrible, in a good way.

First time in a while I mixed in volume and heavyweights.I think I'm about a month or two from hitting 400+ again, all my other lifts are right around where they used to be, with shoulder presses being slightly off.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

And this.

I went in today tired as shit and completely bombed my squats, although my first set with 445 was fine I couldn't complete the rest. Did pause squats for "light" work and even that was too taxing so I just left.

I'm usually stronger with more rest days anyways, shouldn't have lifted today :/

All I know is my friend who grew up hanging around boxing gyms loves the heavy bag and recently bought one to put in his garage. Even with a heavy duty steel support frame and the bag tied down on the bottom he still had to drill holes and bolt it to the concrete. You could probably get around this if you had a bunch of super heavy things (like two extra 45 lb plates) that you could set on top of either leg of the U. That would be my only initial concern, I don't know anything about using them other than securing them in some fashion though.

I also know that the one time he jokingly punched me in the side of my arm (I was totally asking for it by being a nuisance) I had a bruise for two weeks, so heavy bags do make your punching game strong as fuck.

Thanks for the heads-up about the bag moving. If it is a problem, the frame has pegs designed to hold plates so I'll get some shitty old plates and slap them on there. I don't think I have the proper form to throw a strong enough punch to move it, but we'll see.

I look forward to a strong punching game.

Does such a website exist which you can search for foods based on their ratio of maxronutrients? I find I am about 60 g protein and 30 g of fat short today and want to find a high protein food with some fat and some carbs. I have plenty in mind, but damn, I'd kill for a database of foods that you can search through by their maxrobutrient ratios.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was in the gym today and while I was doing low back squats, a guy came up to me in between sets and said that I shouldn't be leaning forward, and that I should look up at the ceiling to help keep a straight back. I don't claim to have perfect form, but I think my squats are relatively good (haven't recorded in a while, though!) I politely thanked him for the advice and tried to explain that the back isn't supposed to be vertically straight when doing back squats, especially low bar. He didn't seem to agree.

In a similar situation, I recently had a big guy who was doing heavy deadlifts with good form come up to me in between my overhead press sets and give me advice on form. He proceeded to show me how to do a push press, and while that was nice to get the coaching, it was for a different exercise.

It makes me wonder if the more core barbell exercises like the back squat and standing overhead press are so rare outside of communities like this.

Anyway, in terms of progress, I'm finally approaching the weight I was stalling at previously. I was doing something similar to Starting Strength (3x5) for a while up until I went on vacation in May. I was stalling for quite a while, so I decided to try a big reset and give Stronglifts 5x5 a try when I got back.

It's been going quite well and I'm getting close to where I stalled previously, but now I'm doing 5 sets instead of 3 and they seem easier, so I definitely feel like I've gained some strength. I guess I'll find out over the next week or two as I approach my previous limits.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can do fasted cardio no problem. Fasted weight lifting in the morning is a dangerous game for me haha, early AM pushing heavy weights on no fuel is dicey. I'll usually take a scoop of protein and pre-workout 20 minutes before I head to the gym if I'm doing weights in the morning.

No idea what's in the pre-workout, but what's the point of the protein before training?

As far as I'm aware, if you're a normal carb-eater, most of your energy for resistance training will be coming from glycogen stores in the skeletal muscle tissue.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If anyone has the time for a quick DL form check I would appreciate it. Still trying to master this lift so any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohzNnxn5No&feature=youtu.be

Looked pretty good. Looks like you've been working on taking slack out of the bar. I'd say focus on engaging your glutes once you pass your knee, avoid that hyper extension you're doing at lockout, and try to re-setup between reps.

I went in today tired as shit and completely bombed my squats, although my first set with 445 was fine I couldn't complete the rest. Did pause squats for "light" work and even that was too taxing so I just left.

I'm usually stronger with more rest days anyways, shouldn't have lifted today :/

You did the right thing by trying to get some work in though, and doubly the right thing by knowing when to axe it.

Knowing your body and training well enough to know when to do this takes time though, and beginners don't have this. Your "time to call it" is not the same as their "time to call it." They have no basis on when to know if they are quitting, or actually in need of a break.

Plus you bust your ass all day at work.

MrToughPants

I was in the gym today and while I was doing low back squats, a guy came up to me in between sets and said that I shouldn't be leaning forward, and that I should look up at the ceiling to help keep a straight back. I don't claim to have perfect form, but I think my squats are relatively good (haven't recorded in a while, though!) I politely thanked him for the advice and tried to explain that the back isn't supposed to be vertically straight when doing back squats, especially low bar. He didn't seem to agree.

It depends on your leverages and what your strengths are. Quad dominant you might keep a more upright torso. High bar you can obviously stay more upright and some individuals like Kevin Oak have the natural ability to remain completely upright when squatting... Eric Lilliebridge who transitioned from high bar to low bar still keeps an upright torso and he's probably gonna have the raw world record soon.

Chocobro

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Looked pretty good. Looks like you've been working on taking slack out of the bar. I'd say focus on engaging your glutes once you pass your knee, avoid that hyper extension you're doing at lockout, and try to re-setup between reps.
No hyper extension huh? Ok. Is it potentially dangerous or just unnecessary? I'll work on glute activation. Thanks. Must be getting better if that's all you have to say. Cool.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting stuff, although Eric Lilliebridge didn't look like his torso was straight upright. Hard to tell from the angle, of course, but that looks more like the kind of slant I'm talking about.

Kevin Oak is crazy, though. I'd say he should go deeper, but that's 743 lbs. so I'll just shut my mouth. He must have mutant-level strength in his core/back to keep that angle.

Chocobro

No hyper extension huh? Ok. Is it potentially dangerous or just unnecessary? I'll work on glute activation. Thanks. Must be getting better if that's all you have to say. Cool.
Both.
Interesting stuff, although Eric Lilliebridge didn't look like his torso was straight upright. Hard to tell from the angle, of course, but that looks more like the kind of slant I'm talking about.

Kevin Oak is crazy, though. I'd say he should go deeper, but that's 743 lbs. so I'll just shut my mouth.
Kevin Oak did say in the video description: "I wanted these deeper but I was really tight today. I'm 3 weeks out from the RPS HeatWave competition, just need to rest up and loosen up a little."

MrToughPants

You did the right thing by trying to get some work in though, and doubly the right thing by knowing when to axe it.

Knowing your body and training well enough to know when to do this takes time though, and beginners don't have this. Your "time to call it" is not the same as their "time to call it." They have no basis on when to know if they are quitting, or actually in need of a break.

Plus you bust your ass all day at work.

Oh I certainly agree, different mind game.

Some days I'm just wrecked but I still manage to put in a good workout. I was hoping for that today but that won't happen all the time... :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Well it's indicative of using your lower back to finish the lift and you'd be better off using your glutes. It's both potentially dangerous and unnecessary. I'd also work on pulling the slack out of the bar more and like I said, do a proper reset in between reps. Your first rep is your best rep. Make the rest look like the first and make your first rep look better.

Instead of humping the bar which is apparently giving you the wrong cue. Imagine someone is trying to ram a barbell up your ass. Clench them cheeks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kevin Oak did say in the video description: "I wanted these deeper but I was really tight today. I'm 3 weeks out from the RPS HeatWave competition, just need to rest up and loosen up a little."

Missed that.

Also just dawned on me that he was doing that weight as just part of his normal training. It almost looked like he was alone in that gym, and he didn't even have any supports. Total beast.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well it's indicative of using your lower back to finish the lift and you'd be better off using your glutes. It's both potentially dangerous and unnecessary. I'd also work on pulling the slack out of the bar more and like I said, do a proper reset in between reps. Your first rep is your best rep. Make the rest look like the first and make your first rep look better.

Instead of humping the bar which is apparently giving you the wrong cue. Imagine someone is trying to ram a barbell up your ass. Clench them cheeks.

You're awesome. I'll keep working. Thanks again.

Matugi

On top of this it looks like you're locking out your knees just a little quick, but it looks really good. I also gotta say that the re-setup between reps has been huge for fixing my form, especially because I shouldn't worry about speeding through and putting up huge numbers of reps while on a cut.

TylerD

This is getting frustrating and I think I'm going to rip up what I'm doing with SS and start over. I don't think I can even get in proper position at the bottom for a low bar squat with no bar at this point. I'm reading about all the intricacies of the exercises in the book and my brain is getting fried. Only reading about the squat is over whelming and I haven't even starting focusing on the other lifts.

It feels like I should take a month reading the book and practicing, stretching, researching all the lifts before I continue any further.

Any recommendations? I got through 4 workouts increasing weight on everything but I'm so paranoid about fucking my back up or anything else that I'm hitting a mental roadblock. It is mentally more difficult than a fuckin golf swing right now.

Ah had a righteous gym day!

Had a moment where my DL Slacked but once I put "rules of nature" on, I pushed that fuckin' set out LIKE A BOSS!!!

I feel gratified.

Matugi

This is getting frustrating and I think I'm going to rip up what I'm doing with SS and start over. I don't think I can even get in proper position at the bottom for a low bar squat with no bar at this point. I'm reading about all the intricacies of the exercises in the book and my brain is getting fried. Only reading about the squat is over whelming and I haven't even starting focusing on the other lifts.

It feels like I should take a month reading the book and practicing, stretching, researching all the lifts before I continue any further.

Any recommendations? I got through 4 workouts increasing weight on everything but I'm so paranoid about fucking my back up or anything else that I'm hitting a mental roadblock. It is mentally more difficult than a fuckin golf swing right now.

Try high bar and see if that fits you better. It's honestly a matter of preference and for some people (I fall into this category) high bar is much easier to perform

Throw up videos for us to form check for every single workout.

Ask a fellow gym goer to film you.

We can help you with form and point you in the right direction.

Don't just quit because of the complexity Rippletoe gives. You're overthinking it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I totally know how you feel. The best way to go about it is to close the book for a bit, watch some videos of people demonstrating form, try to emulate that, post videos of your squats to get people to check your form and revise from there. It takes a bit of work in the beginning, but it's very important to get it right, or as close to right as you can.

despire

I did SS before, but I can't power clean, and I don't want to do deadlifts. I've been doing the 3x5 routine, but I'd really like to do more exercises and not be so limited. I'm a little past the beginning part now.

That's why I'd like to know how the one I linked looks for someone who wants to start a new kind of routine. However, I admit I did not read OP (I DID NOW!), and so I guess I should post.

Comments: Did SS for a bit, would like a new routine. Would like insight on this one--
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...TaUwwvUZ-02Hxd41KqUkQz011t10S7zU0&irpid=27795

Also another question, I know everyone says this is nearly impossible, but I'd really like to put on weight without doing the horrible bulk/cut. Would it be possible to put on only lean muscle/mostly lean muscle? If I don't eat carbs of any kind on non-lifting days, and only carbs on lifting days, would that work? If so, how much of it should be carbs on lifting day? I'm well aware this sounds like a magical fairy request (or at least I've always been led to believe so), but I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this. Thanks again!

1) Well you can substitute the power cleans if you absolutely can't do them. Many do.

2) Why don't you wanna do deadlifts? Do you have a back problem? Since you said you wanna put on mass I hope you don't think they will make you "too big" or something like that.

3) I really would not take some random routine posted on BB.com. I'd use some proven routine made by a pro. If you want to do something besides SS then I'd say check out Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine for starts. Might be just what you want. 5/3/1 would be good also but if you don't wanna do DL's it will be a problem.

4) Muscle is lean, fat is fat. If you put on muscle it will be "lean muscle". The amount of your caloric surplus determines how much fat you will put on as well. Keep the surplus smaller and you will put on mostly muscle like you want. Maybe around +200 kcal a day or something. Doesn't need to be +500 kcal surplus especially since you're a girl. Try to gain maybe around 0.5kg/1lbs a month if you want to avoid excessive fat gain. It might help to cycle carbs so that you eat more carbs on lifting days and less on rest days if you want. Also check out intermittent fasting if you haven't heard about it yet.

Leeness

I think the back is already starting to be a bit better to be honest and it has been only a week. I try to keep calm and take it easy, but it is hard since I am super excited to get it better. :D

And you go girl! Just remember to rest enough to get most out of it. :)

What comes to arms I feel your pain. Not nice, not nice at all.

Ready and raring to go! Get it, girl! :) soooon.

Arms, right? So weak haha. They are probably the weakest part of me. My core isn't great but at least I can do sit ups and exercises. I can barely do ten "girly" push ups lol.

Didn't work out today. :( belly hurt and had relatives from out of country over. Tomorrowwwww.

yogloo

I'm doing that beginner's routine. It's a good routine. Very balanced with the introduction of Stiff legged dead lift instead of regular deadlift.

Thanks and thanks. Quitting and it's mentality are not an issue here, thankfully. And I do fear the snowball effect.

Where I was coming from is that I have been tired from working and running errands, and also I have been wanting to work out (not necessarily lifting weights) for 5-6 days a week. Recently it's also been tough because I'm moving. So with both external and internal factors going I was curious to see what people do in moments of lethargy, also for morning workouts. All the feedback gives me some ideas on to push or rest, since I have a tendency to rest. But if I see (and do see) you guys say "push it through" then I can and will adjust my mentality. Anyway, that's me, and it's fun getting a conversation going.

I workout in the morning. Always have. And it's the getting out of bed that's the hardest part, especially if I've had a shitty sleep. But because I stick to a program where I see small progress everyday (I obsess over the 5/3/1 spreadsheet created by Poteto), it's worth it. If I don't get up, I actually feel bad. Thankfully that's only happened twice since last year.

In my opinion, lifting more than 4 times a week is too much for me and could be counter productive, but we're all different. I'd say get into a routine and see how it goes.

ILoveBish

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I finally failed on squats for the first time in 28 months of lifting. Thankfully I was in the cage and I dropped down till the safety bars caught the bar with 330lbs loaded. At first I wondered if the bar was going to hit my head, but then the safety bars touched and I felt safe then. I was on my last rep last set. I have a big bruise on my back but it doesn't hurt at all.

I just took a breather then did my accessory's, which I got all of them done, and got home now. I'm done with my 5s week now so I'll take a couple days off to rest. This cut is real, I keep lifting like normal but I just can't do what I used to do with such few calories.

Fuzzery

Hmmm.. two things: there is no such thing as lean muscle. Only muscle. If you are afraid of putting on too much muscle, don't be.

Deadlifts may be intimidating, but they really aren't that bad to learn. They'll make you want to eat a lot, and builds muscle throughout your entire posterior chain.

Just eat more than you usually would. Eat your carb meal after working out, and most of it will be used to replenish glycogen stores. Some people in here swear by keto, but even if you don't want to try it, this is a very informative video on metabolism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

Irobot82

Damnit. I was totally going to slack today. Making excuses in my head. Such as, I just got a thermometer/hygromter and it's 74%+ humid in my basement and I get drenched sweat now. Also, I'm having surgery on Friday so why not take the rest of the week off I'll have to rest for 10 days anyhow. Then I read Fit-GAF and Brolic "The Mountain" Gaoler tells us to man up and I feel the urge to man up for my last routine before I have to stop.

That being said (thanks for the inspiration), when I am back off my 10 day rest from surgery. How do I proceed with my lifts? Should I drop down to 80% of my previous weights and start back up from there?

Matugi

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I finally failed on squats for the first time in 28 months of lifting. Thankfully I was in the cage and I dropped down till the safety bars caught the bar with 330lbs loaded. At first I wondered if the bar was going to hit my head, but then the safety bars touched and I felt safe then. I was on my last rep last set. I have a big bruise on my back but it doesn't hurt at all.

I just took a breather then did my accessory's, which I got all of them done, and got home now. I'm done with my 5s week now so I'll take a couple days off to rest. This cut is real, I keep lifting like normal but I just can't do what I used to do with such few calories.

This raises an interesting question: when you bail for squats, do you go forwards or backwards? When I just completely lost it yesterday I tried my best to go straight down but ended up falling a little backwards. Thankfully the pins were high enough that I could let the bar rest then roll back. Front squats you obviously bail forwards

Pete Rock

Damnit. I was totally going to slack today. Making excuses in my head. Such as, I just got a thermometer/hygromter and it's 74%+ humid in my basement and I get drenched sweat now.
For the next two months, even after I get done with a cold shower, my skin just never dries in the locker room. The air conditioning in the building just doesn't really work in that area or the weight room in the basement. So I go from a cold shower that doesn't really feel very cold anymore to wicking constant perspiration off my skin as I desperately try to dry off over and over and over. Summer is truly upon us!

Thankfully the majority of my sweat is generated from my mid-back which means I can still wear headphones without streams running down my ear canals. However when I squat, if I am wearing a tank or an a-shirt as I tend to do in the summer, I have to take paper towels and wipe off my back and the bar before each set otherwise it is a slippery mess. Then I have to clean the bar with those antibacterial rags just so I can walk away feeling like a decent human being instead of a rotten dog lol.

80% might be aggressive but I think it is a good idea to deload pretty heavy if you are having some type of major surgery and rest period. Better to start low and ratchet it up as you feel adequate rather than starting too high and over-exerting your body when it is still relatively compromised.

Irobot82

For the next two months, even after I get done with a cold shower, my skin just never dries in the locker room. The air conditioning in the building just doesn't really work in that area or the weight room in the basement. So I go from a cold shower that doesn't really feel very cold anymore to wicking constant perspiration off my skin as I desperately try to dry off over and over and over. Summer is truly upon us!

Thankfully the majority of my sweat is generated from my mid-back which means I can still wear headphones without streams running down my ear canals. However when I squat, if I am wearing a tank or an a-shirt as I tend to do in the summer, I have to take paper towels and wipe off my back and the bar before each set otherwise it is a slippery mess. Then I have to clean the bar with those antibacterial rags just so I can walk away feeling like a decent human being instead of a rotten dog lol.

80% might be aggressive but I think it is a good idea to deload pretty heavy if you are having some type of major surgery and rest period. Better to start low and ratchet it up as you feel adequate rather than starting too high and over-exerting your body when it is still relatively compromised.

My sweat generates mostly on my head! It usually drips onto my glasses blurring my vision or into my eyes burning them. When I bench my head leaves a wet spot. Come to think of it I sweat a lot everywhere. When I sit in my chair resting between sets I leave a wet spot where my bum was. I'm buying a dehumidifier this weekend so the humidity shouldn't be a problem anymore.

My surgery isn't a major one. Just getting the ol' swimming soldiers evacuation chute removed. :D My main concern is you know squatting and deadlifting uses muscles and whatnot around that sensitive area.

Faiz

Hmmm.. two things: there is no such thing as lean muscle. Only muscle. If you are afraid of putting on too much muscle, don't be.

That's not exactly true. Intramuscular fat exists, and an abundance of it is regularly linked to insulin resistance and diabetes. A good cut of steak features extensive marbling; that's intramuscular fat.

But, yeah, when most people talk about wanting to build "lean muscle" what they are talking about isn't exactly "lean muscle", it's "muscle without the layer of fat on top".

Chittagong

Gold Member
Same shirt, different summer.

I am not standing in the same way so it's not really possible to gauge progress, but I thought I'd share them anyway so that the newcomers see that beginners can live in peace in this thread too.

By next summer the T-sleeves must have shrunk to wifebeater length!

entremet

Same shirt, different summer.

I am not standing in the same way so it's not really possible to gauge progress, but I thought I'd share them anyway so that the newcomers see that beginners can live in peace in this thread too.

By next summer the T-sleeves must have shrunk to wifebeater length!

Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom