• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Sometimes I don't mix the protein well enough so I get a random big glob of powder on my tongue and scream a little bit, but my arms are more veiny so that's been good

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
What's everyone's opinion on peanut butter? I tend to have two slices of toast for brunch every day with a liberal spread of peanut butter. High in protein, but also high in fat...

I don't know if it's easily available to you, but you could also consider spreads made from other nuts. I'm a sucker for hazelnut paste (not the chocolate variant, the made-of-100%-hazelnuts variant). Supposedly also healthier then peanuts.

Insulin made by your body is not real insulin apparently.

May be he meant pharmacological insulin?

Anyway, it's a dumb idea. It's been found that proteins trigger the insulin response in a similar way to carbs. Only macro that doesn't give you the insulin spike is dietary fat.

I don't know if it's easily available to you, but you could also consider spreads made from other nuts. I'm a sucker for hazelnut paste (not the chocolate variant, the made-of-100%-hazelnuts variant). Supposedly also healthier then peanuts.

Never even considered that! I'll keep any eye out for it, thanks!

mdsfx

What's everyone's opinion on peanut butter? I tend to have two slices of toast for brunch every day with a liberal spread of peanut butter. High in protein, but also high in fat...
Try transitioning to the real thing if you haven't already. It took me some time, but now I love it. Ingredients: peanuts. No molasses, added processed oils, added salt and sugar, none of that.

The brand "Krema" makes my favorite natural creamy peanut butter.

Irobot82

Fiber goes right through you and is not consumed, so it doesn't count.

Not entirely true. There is soluble and insoluble fiber. Isn't some of it fermented in your gut through your flora and then somehow taken into your system? Perhaps it's better to say fiber doesn't cause any insulin release. I think it ferments the fiber into fatty acids of some kind right?

Tash

to become this

thinking_about_how_to_get_bigger_muscles_by_unitedbigmuscle-d4n8div.png

nah. i'm going there with a group of 10 friends and we plan to meet up again in 8 months looking different.

Nope, nope, nope.

Try transitioning to the real thing if you haven't already. It took me some time, but now I love it. Ingredients: peanuts. No molasses, added processed oils, added salt and sugar, none of that.

The brand "Krema" makes my favorite natural creamy peanut butter.

Yup. Here in Italy most people don't know what peanut butter is. It started to appear on the shelves a few years ago, but I can't buy it because I've never found it w/o added sugars (or any decent brand, anyway).

Sometimes I do it myself, but having to break the peanut shells is kind of a hassle.

So sad.

ILoveBish

Not entirely true. There is soluble and insoluble fiber. Isn't some of it fermented in your gut through your flora and then somehow taken into your system? Perhaps it's better to say fiber doesn't cause any insulin release. I think it ferments the fiber into fatty acids of some kind right?

Broscience incoming. From what I understand, the vast majority of fiber in foods is not consumable. The percentage that the body might use is so small that it isn't worth contemplating. Truthfully I never dug deep into fiber info. I'm sure I will at one point but it's not important enough to hit my goal I have.

As far as gut is concerned, yes you want fiber for the gut. Just don't do what I did and trust someone else to make a dish for you, and it ends up having 250+ grams of fiber. My poop came out like curly fries for 2 days.

Mayo sez both types go through ya. One just becomes gel before it becomes poop.

As far as gut is concerned, yes you want fiber for the gut. Just don't do what I did and trust someone else to make a dish for you, and it ends up having 250+ grams of fiber. My poop came out like curly fries for 2 days.
Anecdotal, but my fiber intake is at under 10g per week. Still poop 1x week just fine.

When i tried eating brocc on the reg, dear god that thing went straight through me from day 2.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
With almost a 1000 kcal deficit for the majority of my days it didn't really surprised me that I wasn't shitting every day anymore. It's more once every two days now. Can also be twice a day and then three days almost nothing. Doesn't have me worried much.

Edit: grand way to start a new page :|

Irobot82

Mayo sez both types go through ya. One just becomes gel before it becomes poop.

Anecdotal, but my fiber intake is at under 10g per week. Still poop 1x week just fine.

When i tried eating brocc on the reg, dear god that thing went straight through me from day 2.

Ok, for some reason I had it in my head that your gut flora is it for fuel or something. I want to say it was in a Lyle Mcdonald post, maybe not. I'll look for it.

EDIT: Here we go. It's a great read.

Lyle on fiber

Doesn't the avg. american consume something like 12g fiber a day?... which is woefully low.

Confused what kind of diet would have you consuming only 10g of fiber in an entire week

o_O

entremet

Re-read his post. Specifically the last part.

I'm aware. He's right, though.

Do you think he's promoting insulin doping? Seems like he's just stating a very real fact.

There's a difference between stating a fact and promoting and prescribing doping protocols.

*Don't insulin dope, kids. It can kill you.

Tweaked my lower back a bit earlier this week. Went in today and did roughly 200 good mornings and I already feel better. That lift is a miracle worker.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm aware. He's right, though.

Do you think he's promoting insulin doping? Seems like he's just stating a very real fact.

There's a difference between stating a fact and promoting and prescribing doping protocols.

*Don't insulin dope, kids. It can kill you.

Dude, "blood insulin" is "real insulin." He posted like "blood insulin" was some type of other inferior insulin than "normal" insulin. It's fucking insulin. It doesn't get any more real, the "wut"' was drawing attention to that. People who don't know what they are talking about shouldn't post like they do.

entremet

Dude, "blood insulin" is "real insulin." He posted like "blood insulin" was some type of other inferior insulin than "normal" insulin. It's fucking insulin. It doesn't get any more real, the "wut"' was drawing attention to that. People who don't know what they are talking about shouldn't post like they do.

I personally think focusing on hormone shit is overrated. Extremely.

But I read it as pharma insulin.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
One time a week is not normal.

Im aware. Neither is a 95% egg diet, but here we are.

Best part about that post is he drops that number like it's common knowledge that you should only go once a week.

I'm confident J. Bravo is more in line with the norm here.

This thread had this discussion about one to two months ago. You're projecting, btw. I wrote "anecdotal" precisely to point out that it shouldn't be considered an universal rule.

Maybe he is more efficient than us. Absorbs every bits of nutrient out of his food till they are basically gone.

Nah, just keto on a considerable caloric deficit. Excreted mostly through urine would be my guess.

The way I phrased that was funny now that you mention it. I just meant that insulin is more effective than sugar.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So guys... I'm a little perplexed. I am sitting at 197 right now and I have legit abs. It's not like I have the Grand Canyon running down my stomach but they are very visible. If I had to estimate a bf% I'd say 14. I don't understand how I weighed 175 last summer. Let's say I put on 5 lbs of muscle which means I have another 17 lbs to drop. Sure I have some more fat to get rid of around my obliques but I'm not seeing where this 17 lbs is. Is it possible I put on more than 5 lbs of muscle in 3 months? I find it hard to believe due to how long I've been lifting and the fact that the longer you weight train the harder it gets to add muscle but who knows?

entremet

So guys... I'm a little perplexed. I am sitting at 197 right now and I have legit abs. It's not like I have the Grand Canyon running down my stomach but they are very visible. If I had to estimate a bf% I'd say 14. I don't understand how I weighed 175 last summer. Let's say I put on 5 lbs of muscle which means I have another 17 lbs to drop. Sure I have some more fat to get rid of around my obliques but I'm not seeing where this 17 lbs is. Is it possible I put on more than 5 lbs of muscle in 3 months? I find it hard to believe due to how long I've been lifting and the fact that the longer you weight train the harder it gets to add muscle but who knows?

Could be water weight fluctuations. Retention and what not.

Cooter

Maybe but I always weigh in the morning slightly dehydrated. I also don't take creatine.

mdsfx

Either I'm actually making progress or I'm just noticing veins that I didn't pay attention to before. Took this yesterday and I could swear I never had one visible at my waist before. But when I look back at older pics I constantly question my progress. Need to measure BF again. Im just not sure I trust the cheap, plastic Bodybuilding.com calipers. You guys recommend using anything different?

LmuWDJn.jpg

Cooter

Either I'm actually making progress or I'm just noticing veins that I didn't pay attention to before. Took this yesterday and I could swear I never had one visible at my waist before. But when I look back at older pics I constantly question my progress. Need to measure BF again. Im just not sure I trust the cheap, plastic Bodybuilding.com calipers. You guys recommend using anything different?
I'm guessing you're somewhere close to 10%

Eh, I've got abs and I'm somewhere around 20% BF. I don't think you can really estimate BF just based on whether or not you have ab definition. My abs have always been prominent.

My opinion is that it's delicious but a pain in the ass to stir b/c I buy the natural smuckers stuff.

With almost a 1000 kcal deficit for the majority of my days it didn't really surprised me that I wasn't shitting every day anymore. It's more once every two days now. Can also be twice a day and then three days almost nothing. Doesn't have me worried much.

That is a big, big deficit unless you're obese.

I use the Slim Guide. It's very cheap, very durable, and easy to use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NN9SDO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The most important thing with calipers is consistent technique though, just make sure you grab in the same spots with the same finger distance. I don't necessarily buy the calculation results but if the skinfolds are going down so is the fat.

Great progress BTW, what're your stats?

Joe

Guys and gals, a little diet help?

I eat two big meals a day 7 hours apart (12pm, 7pm), with a small snack (fruit) in between and that's it. I'm just wondering if I'm doing more harm than good to myself eating like this instead of spreading my calories out over 4 smaller meals a day.

I poop more since I've started eating like this (2x a day, i used to be 1x a day) but I do notice I'm tired a lot but I'm not sure it's diet related since I was tired even before eating like this as well.

mdsfx

I use the Slim Guide. It's very cheap, very durable, and easy to use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NN9SDO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The most important thing with calipers is consistent technique though, just make sure you grab in the same spots with the same finger distance. I don't necessarily buy the calculation results but if the skinfolds are going down so is the fat.

Great progress BTW, what're your stats?

I will check that out. And yeah, repeatability seems to be the biggest issue with calipers from what I've been reading.

Thanks! Stats (Im not a big guy):
5'9"
160lbs
230 bench max
260 squat max
280 DL max

Cooter

Eh, I've got abs and I'm somewhere around 20% BF. I don't think you can really estimate BF just based on whether or not you have ab definition. My abs have always been prominent.
First of all, 20% and abs? I've gotta see this. Secondly, abs isn't all I'm basing this on. I just feel way leaner at 197 than I ever have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom