• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What do you guys put in your post workout shake?

I've been just doing whey or a whey/casein mix.

I see some folks consume some sort of simple sugar either by adding dextrose powder to the shake or eating gummy bears. Its for immediate glycogen replenishment but it seems like there is a lack of consensus scientifically on the necessity of this.

Just curious

Fuck a post workout shake. Don't need that shit. Just eat a meal.

Faiz

What do you guys put in your post workout shake?

I've been just doing whey or a whey/casein mix.

I see some folks consume some sort of simple sugar either by adding dextrose powder to the shake or eating gummy bears. Its for immediate glycogen replenishment but it seems like there is a lack of consensus scientifically on the necessity of this.

Just curious

2 scoops whey. Cup of milk. A banana.

That with two nutrigrain waffles is my pwo meal.

SeanR1221

Oh yeah, 2500 is not very many at all. Actually, is that enough? I think that's my caloric intake just for maintenance.

I have to split my calories up throughout the day or I go crazy. Even with a huge meal in the AM, I'm starving by lunch.

Ps- whey coffee? Is that just a combination of the two or a new product BC it sounds awesome.

Everyone is going to be different on calories and it changes as time goes on.

Some cut at 3k, some way less.

I started at 2500 cutting and am at a point where it's 2200. It can suck a lot if it's not all dialed in.

Yea having a whey protein shake and pop tarts post workout is what I've been doing. Way more convenient for me since I don't eat my pwo meal until late anyways (especially if I work that night)

ldcommando

Banned
Shakes? I love those. To me they are meals. Sometimes I get close to 1000 cal on them. I usually mix:
whey
whole milk
acai
peanut butter
bananas
olive oil

Delicious and very nutritious.

Cudder

I can count the number of protein shakes I've had in the last year and a half on 2 hands. Still getting stronger, don't care.

Got back home from my trip to SF Monday and I think I got struck by food poisoning. I was so bummed out as I didn't get to workout all weekend. All day yesterday I had massive stomach pains and bad times in the bathroom. :(

I feel a lot better though today so I'm guessing it was just something I ate and nothing serious I hope. Never felt a pain like it before in my life.

In better news. Just ordered a Brute Belt for dips/pullups. I'll let you guys know how well it works when I get it.

Shakes? I love those. To me they are meals. Sometimes I get close to 1000 cal on them. I usually mix:
whey
whole milk
acai
peanut butter
bananas
olive oil

Delicious and very nutritious.

Are you using the olive oil to keep from getting gummed up on the back end? I was mixing PB in my shakes and getting great results but had to stop because it turned out to be a pain in the ass a week later. Literally.

ILoveBish

I thought I forgot my gym bag at work, so the only thing I do without a belt on 531 is bench. So did that, cranked out 225x3 easy no leg drive needed. Felt awesome. Then got to my car and the gym bag was in the trunk lol.

No biggie. Going to split this 3s week into 2 weeks, 2 days a week for the next 2 weeks, because I started a 2nd job and timing is off on sleep while I adjust. Should be back to normal within a week or 2.

Kevyt

Hello FitGaf!

I decided to ditch the whey protein isolate powder and shakes for the Quest Bars. I got the twelve pack for now, cookies and cream flavor, and it's really good. I was not sure at first, but reading here that some of you have had positive experiences I thought I should try it out. So far so good!

ldcommando

Banned
I can count the number of protein shakes I've had in the last year and a half on 2 hands. Still getting stronger, don't care.

Agreed. Here is my typical post workout meal:
8yqGVCQ.jpg

mdsfx

I eat 17g net carbs a day. And my muscles look plenty filled.

Oh and I made a pizza using pepperoni slices as the crust. Top tier.
17? I... I'm not trying to be an ass, but that is really, really hard to believe. Even eating greens alone will net you more than that. So what ARE you eating?

Edit: that's a pretty damn good idea for pizza!

ILoveBish

17? I... I'm not trying to be an ass, but that is really, really hard to believe. Even eating greens alone will net you more than that. So what ARE you eating?

I'm fully keto adapted. I eat a high fat, moderate protein and low carb diet.

Chocobro

As ILoveBish said, he's on keto. Based on some of the vegetables I eat: one serving of spinach (85g) is 1g net carb, one serving of broccoli (148g) is 3g net carbs, 100g of baby carrots is 6g net carbs, 100g mushrooms is 2g net carbs.

So 17g net carbs isn't that far-fetched.

As ILoveBish said, he's on keto. Based on some of the vegetables I eat: one serving of spinach (85g) is 1g net carb, one serving of broccoli (148g) is 3g net carbs, 100g of baby carrots is 6g net carbs, 100g mushrooms is 2g net carbs.

So 17g net carbs isn't that far-fetched.

Yea i think he's counting net carbs not total

Chocobro

Ohh, wait. Oh Jesus you mean this whole time I've been counting all carbs and struggling to stay under 75g... UGH

You know, MyFitnessPal should give you net carbs, but it doesn't. Son of a b*tch.

You need to install a script to have it calculated; Google search for one, should be easy. Luckily I found that out a few weeks into using MFP and tracking my nutrition.

Ok Fitness-GAF, been debating asking in here for a while now but I figure I'll come here for some advice.

Quick stats, 5'9", 182 lbs, 22% body fat. 38 years old.

I'm currently in a competition at work (it's a points system through my company, a million factors I don't have a great chance to win since I'm not huge) so that may change opinions but I can't quite decide what to do next. I started StrongLifts and am on week 4 but I've been eating around 1900 calories a day lately to try and lose weight for this competition that ends in a month. Should I continue this plan and suffer the ability to gain much strength and then eat a bit more afterwards, or should I abandon StrongLifts for a while and not worry about gaining strength, just lift to try and maintain strength while I lose weight, maybe add more HIIT, etc? Can't quite decide the best course of action.

I'm not entirely a newb and have lifted on and off for 20 years now but never consistently and never anything like Starting Strength or StrongLifts so I don't know if I'm a pure beginner or a slight intermediate.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Lamel

Banned
Been a while since I've posted in any fitness thread, but might as well start again.

Currently lifting with the basic major compound lifts; not really gaining much weight as my diet is pretty much maintenance, but muscles are getting stronger.

Also sprinting hardcore as well, and see my performance improving. Feels good man.

Diet is really the hardest part as a college student; it's not unhealthy, but I can't find enough time to cook/eat enough food. Truly a first world problem.

I've seen the dextrose thing a lot lately. Haven't tried it. Tempting since I'm trying to eat clean though. Gummy bears? Sign me up.

I always mix casein and whey with the exception of before bed (just casein). Keeps me fuller longer.

The idea behind adding sugar is to cause an insulin spike in your bloodstream, which in turn will improve protein synthesis. Of course, it's nowhere near effective as real insulin.

ILoveBish

You're still on ketosis for so long?

So far, i see no reason not to be a lifer. Maybe once i need to gain weight (WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME LORD), and if i have trouble gaining on keto, then perhaps then might add in carb refeeds, but i really doubt that will happen, i gain really easy sadly.

What's everyone's opinion on peanut butter? I tend to have two slices of toast for brunch every day with a liberal spread of peanut butter. High in protein, but also high in fat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom