• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

2T3Quxy.png

Yep, I am sold

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Down to 237.0lbs today, making it exactly 106lbs lost. Strong as ever and still losing fat.

keto bro... Hoping you're back to 110% asap!

Congrats on the new weight milestone.

I always just plain feel better when on keto. No bloat, period. No farts. No nothin'. A happy body of meat.

mdsfx

I always just plain feel better when on keto. No bloat, period. No farts. No nothin'. A happy body of meat.
So, apparently I'm on a keto diet too, at least from what I'm reading...? I do have high carb days once a week though.

My total carbs are usually around 75-90g per day (not net), where my protein is near 200g and fat close to 90-100g.

Edit: I would think the carbs once a week would feel great, but actually they really dont. Delicious, yes, but they hit me hard in terms of energy level and digestion.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, apparently I'm on a keto diet too, at least from what I'm reading...? I do have high carb days once a week though.

My total carbs are usually around 75-90g per day (not net), where my protein is near 200g and fat close to 90-100g.

Edit: I would think the carbs once a week would feel great, but actually they really dont. Delicious, yes, but they hit me hard in terms of energy level and digestion.

Even 75 sounds a little high. I'm a big dude @ 6'7" and I can get away with MAYBE 50.

mdsfx

Even 75 sounds a little high. I'm a big dude @ 6'7" and I can get away with MAYBE 50.
Wow. 50 total? No kidding. Let's see I get 10 from a cup of yogurt, the rest mainly veggies as I have salads for lunch (turkey, avocado, olive oil, spring mix, tomato, cucumber,etc). The veggies seem to add up..

Edit: I do add 1/2 tbs honey to my plain Greek yogurt. Also green beans and 2tbs peanut butter. A few from whey/casein shakes.

sphinx

the piano man
He should do them standing.

speaking of this, a friend of mine told me his coach told him that OHP starts not from the upper chest but from around the mid part of the face. I've seen guys do exactly that, almost always sitting.

are we talking about variations of the same thing here? or what's that move called?

"sitting Half-rep'd overhead press" lol

Heysoos

I haven't taken pre-workout at all this week, mostly because I ran out and haven't bothered to buy it again. I must say though, my workouts feel exactly the same. Maybe I just got used to it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
speaking of this, a friend of mine told me his coach told him that OHP starts not from the upper chest but from around the mid part of the face. I've seen guys do exactly that, almost always sitting.

are we talking about variations of the same thing here? or what's that move called?

"sitting Half-rep'd overhead press" lol
It's the same reason people don't squat to parallel I imagine; you can lift more and they are "avoiding injury."

mdsfx

I haven't taken pre-workout at all this week, mostly because I ran out and haven't bothered to buy it again. I must say though, my workouts feel exactly the same. Maybe I just got used to it.
I notice a huge difference, but that may be because I'm a groggy mess of a dad in the morning and workout at 6am lol

it took me almost 3 months to regain strength and confidence in my squat, after hurting my knee (not warming up properly). now i am able to hit 3x5 squats at 190lbs. the last time i did this, it was only a 3x3. woo progress

Bowser

Anyone ever try Peanut Butter Supreme Quest bar? Just gave it a go, thought it was delicious. If you're a fan of PB, you'll like this bar.

Imm0rt4l

Was reading some mike Tuchscherer's stuff and it never occurred to me that the lockout portion of the deadlift makes up like 2/3 of the movement. Probably time to do some block pulls. Those of you thst block pull in commercial gyms, do you use plates to pull off? I don't want to rack pull since I can't adjust to the height as I'd like and the slack is already broken.

bchamba

Was reading some mike Tuchscherer's stuff and it never occurred to me that the lockout portion of the deadlift makes up like 2/3 of the movement. Probably time to do some block pulls. Those of you thst block pull in commercial gyms, do you use plates to pull off? I don't want to rack pull since I can't adjust to the height as I'd like and the slack is already broken.

I pull off two 45s stacked on each side, gives about 3-3.5 inch blocks for me. Try using a bumper plate for the top plate so you're not slamming normal plates onto other normal plates.

Rack pulls are also worth doing since there's no slack it makes the lift more difficult and more realistic to the actual deadlift(no slack at that point in the lift). To get the pins so the bar is below your knees you can stand on a couple plates.

Sadetar

I'm 41. I've been training seriously since I was 24.
You look extremely impressive.

Every year my wife and I go to the Philly Zoo. Here's the evolution of Sean
Super awesome! Also totally adorable tradition! <3

Tomorrow is 3x3 @ 385lbs on squats. Looks like I will definitely hit 4 plates on squats very, very soon. Best believe I'll have a video for my first attempt. I remember when I was happy with a 2 plate squat. Mind blown.
Those are big numbers. Remind me again how old you are?

https://instagram.com/p/1bwpHnnTQ4/

335x5 on bench

It's really going to suck seeing strength go down whenever I do decide to cut
Damn. You made that look way too easy. :D

I had a super hard decision but I feel stronger since I stayed disciplined yesterday.

I was at chick fil a ordering a soup(because I love their soup and its the only thing I eat there aside from grilled chicken). During the order the cashier had a cookies and cream milkshake(my favorite desert PERIOD) sitting there. He offered the milkshake for free instead of throwing it in the trash. I thought about it as I wanted to say yes instinctively as I love free things(who doesn't?) and I have never gotten a free milkshake. Turned my head and respectfully declined and asked for water.

the struggle is real GAFfam
I am impressed. You did well. :p

Wohoo, got the job at Costco!. So today I lift in celebration. Father forgive me for the gains I'm about to recieve.
Congratulations! That is great to hear!

I don't only want those in my life, I need them. :p

Down to 237.0lbs today, making it exactly 106lbs lost. Strong as ever and still losing fat.
It is always great to hear about your progress! That is brilliant! Go you!

Either I'm actually making progress or I'm just noticing veins that I didn't pay attention to before. Took this yesterday and I could swear I never had one visible at my waist before. But when I look back at older pics I constantly question my progress. Need to measure BF again. Im just not sure I trust the cheap, plastic Bodybuilding.com calipers. You guys recommend using anything different?

LmuWDJn.jpg
Only 160 lol
I am looking that photo and your weight and I have hard time believing my eyes. Do you really weight only 160 pounds or did I mix it somehow? How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Also totally loving that photo! <3 You have absolutely gorgeous chest and abs.

So guys... I'm a little perplexed. I am sitting at 197 right now and I have legit abs. It's not like I have the Grand Canyon running down my stomach but they are very visible. If I had to estimate a bf% I'd say 14. I don't understand how I weighed 175 last summer. Let's say I put on 5 lbs of muscle which means I have another 17 lbs to drop. Sure I have some more fat to get rid of around my obliques but I'm not seeing where this 17 lbs is. Is it possible I put on more than 5 lbs of muscle in 3 months? I find it hard to believe due to how long I've been lifting and the fact that the longer you weight train the harder it gets to add muscle but who knows?
Can we by any chance get a photo of those legit abs? Pretty please - for science. :p

mdsfx

Do you really weight only 160 pounds or did I mix it somehow? How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

What you've really stumbled upon is the fact that although I'm 5'9" 160, I have a smaller lower body than I should, hence the lower weight. Here's a full body pic where you can see my issue. I've got work to do:

4eNP2wi.jpg

I only started working on lower body in the last two years. The first squat I did was 115lbs and I was shaking on the way up. I now do sets of 5-8 at just under 200lbs. It's progress, but I need to keep at it.

The best they look (after a leg workout):

FGDfY6t.jpg

Sadetar

What you've really stumbled upon is the fact that although I'm 5'9" 160, I have a smaller lower body than I should, hence the lower weight. Here's a full body pic where you can see my issue. I've got work to do:

4eNP2wi.jpg

I only started working on lower body in the last two years. The first squat I did was 115lbs and I was shaking on the way up. I now do sets of 5-8 at just under 200lbs. It's progress, but I need to keep at it.

FGDfY6t.jpg
May I ask why you didn't work with your legs earlier? Injuries maybe? At least they are starting to catch up and with all honesty they don't look as bad as you most likely think they do. :D

feel like I am halfway there

or maybe I am not even close

meh, Friday. Watching Running Man and good times ahead.
More than halfway. Looking good there. :3

Possibly. ;) I do love science.
Ooh. :p I will be here waiting. I am quite passionate about science as well. ;)

mdsfx

May I ask why you didn't work with your legs earlier? Injuries maybe? At least they are starting to catch up and with all honesty they don't look as bad as you most likely think they do. :D

Fear of injury doing something I want sure I could do properly, lack of interest, etc.

Does anyone else retain shed tons of water after a work out?

I drink 1.5-2 litres of water a day before I work out, then another 1.5 during my workout (then could have another litre before I go to bed). After I've done my workout I seem to have a bit more fat (water?) lying around than I do when I get up in the morning.

Maybe I shouldn't compare myself to how I look in the morning as I probably have relatively little water in my system, or maybe it's all in my head, either way, it's sort of demoralizing.

JimiNutz

Banned
Hi all, first time posting in this thread.
I've been doing strong lifts 5x5 for the past 6 months or so and have had good success with it.

I've now started training Muay Thai and some basic MMA 5 times a week and I think I need to change my strength and conditioning programme for something that is more suitable for Muay Thai/MMA training.

What I'm looking for is something that will focus on explosive power and speed rather than just pure strength training - however I don't want to neglect improving my strength completely and still want to be pushing weights.

At first I was thinking that some sort of kettlebell training may be suitable but some of the movements look a bit complicated and they don't have a large selection of kettlebells at my gym.

I'm now thinking that some sort of circuit training using dumbells might be my best be. Ideally I want something that I can do 5 days a week in the mornings before work (for a total of 45 mins).

Has anyone got any suggestions or links to any programmes that may be suitable? I want a mix of strength training and conditioning rather than just a pure strength training or a pure conditioning programme. Someone has suggested bodyweight exercises to me but I'd much rather be using some kind of weights instead.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hi all, first time posting in this thread.
I've been doing strong lifts 5x5 for the past 6 months or so and have had good success with it.

I've now started training Muay Thai and some basic MMA 5 times a week and I think I need to change my strength and conditioning programme for something that is more suitable for Muay Thai/MMA training.

What I'm looking for is something that will focus on explosive power and speed rather than just pure strength training - however I don't want to neglect improving my strength completely and still want to be pushing weights.

At first I was thinking that some sort of kettlebell training may be suitable but some of the movements look a bit complicated and they don't have a large selection of kettlebells at my gym.

I'm now thinking that some sort of circuit training using dumbells might be my best be. Ideally I want something that I can do 5 days a week in the mornings before work (for a total of 45 mins).

Has anyone got any suggestions or links to any programmes that may be suitable? I want a mix of strength training and conditioning rather than just a pure strength training or a pure conditioning programme. Someone has suggested bodyweight exercises to me but I'd much rather be using some kind of weights instead.
The answer to this depends on what you want out of it and where you're at currently. I'm going to offer some advice assuming that you're at around novice to intermediate strength levels and are doing martial arts as a hobby. With that in mind, I'd say stick with a general strength program but look into adding explosive moves such as power cleans, olympic lifts if possible. At lower levels of development, the quickest way to improve explosive power (ie force over time) is to increase the amount of force (strength) you can output, before working on reducing the time taken to produce it. Furthermore, sport specific training can be useful, but it's not as important as simply training your sport. Elite sprinters, olympic lifters and fighters are all incredibly fast/explosive, but none can match the other in their speciality. Dumbbell circuits won't help you kick faster, but being stronger will make you kick harder; getting better at kicking will improve both.

The biggest hurdle I could see you facing currently is time/recovery management. Martial arts 5 times a week plus 5 strength and conditioning sessions crammed into 45 minutes in the morning sounds like a recipe for short-changing yourself. Most hobbyists go with 2 or 3 strength sessions (1hr+) plus some conditioning (what type and how much depends on what happens in your martial arts classes; if you run for class then maybe do something more strength based like circuits, prowler etc... for your conditioning, if you're getting wiped out with drills in class then maybe do some lower intensity cardio).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tried to simulate car deadlift with DL machine. Result was 800x10.

http://youtu.be/o14xMwQl2Y4

I posted this on Twitter, but this is another step closer to being on ESPN on a World's Strongest Man competition. You're doin it, brother. Impressive strength.

Wait...what? Fill me in. Pm if you want

Maybe six or seven months ago, my red blood cell count skyrocketed as a result of my testosterone injections. Had to lose a LOT of blood and make new blood and that took months. I was at incredible risk of having a stroke despite feeling fine. Ran the whole gamut of tests making sure it wasn't a blood cancer, because just attributing it to testosterone would be foolish without making sure. Eventually I got better, started back up getting testosterone but at a significantly reduced level from before. We're (the doctor and myself, of course) monitoring a few key areas this time but my levels keep dropping, despite being higher 3 months ago (and that's after months without testosterone) so we're not entirely sure why, except it's a natural degradation at my lower dosage, so if I want to "feel right" we need to kick it back up again but watch with increased awareness of my hematocrit.

So, next week we crank it up. Looking forward to feeling how I did when I first started my testosterone, which made me feel right - it's hard to describe, but I felt like I was supposed to - which makes sense, I was legitimately low T.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I posted this on Twitter, but this is another step closer to being on ESPN on a World's Strongest Man competition. You're doin it, brother. Impressive strength.

Maybe six or seven months ago, my red blood cell count skyrocketed as a result of my testosterone injections. Had to lose a LOT of blood and make new blood and that took months. I was at incredible risk of having a stroke despite feeling fine. Ran the whole gamut of tests making sure it wasn't a blood cancer, because just attributing it to testosterone would be foolish without making sure. Eventually I got better, started back up getting testosterone but at a significantly reduced level from before. We're (the doctor and myself, of course) monitoring a few key areas this time but my levels keep dropping, despite being higher 3 months ago (and that's after months without testosterone) so we're not entirely sure why, except it's a natural degradation at my lower dosage, so if I want to "feel right" we need to kick it back up again but watch with increased awareness of my hematocrit.

So, next week we crank it up. Looking forward to feeling how I did when I first started my testosterone, which made me feel right - it's hard to describe, but I felt like I was supposed to - which makes sense, I was legitimately low T.

I wish, I'd never be able to do WSM, I'm just not big enough. Best I can hope for is a national title eventually. And your test story scares the shit out of me.

Super impressive. Looking great at that weight too dude.

Thanks bud, but I can't see much difference in myself.

The weight clip can't contain the power.

I put them on because this machine is shitty and the damn weights slide, as you can see. It's dangerous.

despire

Met this famous finnish IFBB pro bodybuilder Jari "Bull" Mentula today at an event. Probably not very famous outside of Finland but somewhat of a celebrity here. Funny guy and huge as a bull (pun intended).

Szu

FGDfY6t.jpg

It's not a Tumar.

That's a nice quad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nice!! I know that you wanted to hit 10, but you could have knocked out more if that damn clip did its job.

Thanks that was the only reason I stopped actually. I also started putting it down slower because I saw it coming off in the mirror. That machine pissed me off. I guess a few days ago a plate fell off of it and smashed a trainers toe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom