• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Ooooh Naperville? Do you happen to go to xsport or ltf?
No, I have a great gym at work that costs me a whopping $10/month. Hard to beat it, especially considering I have it all to myself 9/10 mornings!:

jQ117Jo.jpg

You in the area?

ILoveBish

I need to try some organ meat sometime. Liver I don't like but would lile to know what heart tastes like. Need to get some good recipe first..

I took pics of what I did and wrote down the amounts of the spices, I'll have a write up in the nutrition thread next week. I'll link it here when I post it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Excuse my ignorance, but is a rack pull the same as a deadlift with the only exception being that the bar is slightly raised of the ground at starting position?

Pretty much. They take the bottom portion of the lift out of the equation. They are good to work lockout and overload your back.

sphinx

the piano man
Quick question:

is the behind-the-neck barbell press safe or does it have a reputation of destroying shoulders with injuries?

despire

Quick question:

is the behind-the-neck barbell press safe or does it have a reputation of destroying shoulders with injuries?

It does have that reputation. Some people can do it apparently but if you have even the slightest shoulder problems then it will probably make them much worse. Safest bet is to just avoid it even if your shoulders are fine.

Worked super hard this whole week with my workouts and diet, then when it got to the weekend, I cheated harder than I've cheated in the past 4 months.

Eh doesn't feel that bad. I heard that it's best to cheat on your rest days (if you're going to cheat at all) because it helps your muscles grow/recover faster. Not sure if that is true though lol.

entremet

No, I have a great gym at work that costs me a whopping $10/month. Hard to beat it, especially considering I have it all to myself 9/10 mornings!:

jQ117Jo.jpg

You in the area?

That's pretty decent for a work gym.

Work gyms I've seen have been so bad. Kinda like hotel gyms.

No to little free weights.

No squat rack or benches.

Mostly Nautilus machines, cardio shit, and dumbbells that go up to 50 pounds only.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
So my gym only has hex plates. Doesnt bother me except the fact that I have to reset deads and cleans after each rep, which kills my form... any advice ? So yeah it bothers me.

So I got my adipowers in late last week. Switched my lift so I'm doing an upper/lower split and I'm using the shoes on my squat/bench days. Love them so far and it didn't take me long to get used to them. I can also push my feet further back on bench now which is awesome. I got the white/black colors. Wasn't feeling the red.

Bowser

So I got my adipowers in late last week. Switched my lift so I'm doing an upper/lower split and I'm using the shoes on my squat/bench days. Love them so far and it didn't take me long to get used to them. I can also push my feet further back on bench now which is awesome. I got the white/black colors. Wasn't feeling the red.

I got white/black too because I thought the reds were too garish, but I kinda wish I went with them anyway now. White/black is kind of boring and they get scuffed up easily.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pulled a muscle in my right shoulder recently - not sure when or how - and the doctor tells me to avoid lifting anything over 25 pounds for the next couple weeks. We'll... moving, lifting, and pulling heavy things is huge part of my job as a baker so I'm kind of screwed.

I'm not a super serious weight lifter like most of you guys, but I do enjoy some periodically and now I'm worried that my shoulder isn't going to be able to heal up properly since I can't afford to take a bunch of time off work. Overreacting or no?

BumRush

One of my employees bet me $5 that I would be considered overweight, according to all of the "age / height: ideal weight" calculation methods. Anyone on here that has seen me probably wouldn't consider me overweight. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and my ideal weight is 150 lbs! Out $5 and newly fat :)

I put black laces on mine. Only problem is they get dirty fast.

mdsfx

One of my employees bet me $5 that I would be considered overweight, according to all of the "age / height: ideal weight" calculation methods. Anyone on here that has seen me probably wouldn't consider me overweight. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and my ideal weight is 150 lbs! Out $5 and newly fat :)
No way. Are you serious?

mkenyon

Banned
That's the hard part right? Too much mass = shorter life, no question. Maybe some people would take the 10-20 year tradeoff at the end for being swole as fuck for now, but I intend to live as long as possible, as long as I don't have severe cognitive impairment.

Gotta find that middle ground between happily buff and long life.
BMI is a bad way to measure stuff like that
Yeah, it sucks for determining actual obesity. If they just changed the wording to, "overweight", "severely overweight", that sort of thing, then I bet a lot fewer people would have issue with it.

BumRush

That's the hard part right? Too much mass = shorter life, no question. Maybe some people would take the 10-20 year tradeoff at the end for being swole as fuck for now, but I intend to live as long as possible, as long as I don't have severe cognitive impairment.

Gotta find that middle ground between happily buff and long life.

Yeah but I DEFINITELY don't think I have "too much" mass or that my mass is in any way shortening my lifespan.

3lN6jjDb.jpg

Yet I'm still 20 lbs overweight lol

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah but I DEFINITELY don't think I have "too much" mass or that my mass is in any way shortening my lifespan.

3lN6jjDb.jpg

Yet I'm still 20 lbs overweight lol
Calorie restriction is the only scientifically proven way to increase life span. Can't do that consistently and keep up good gains. Your telomeres are still getting used and frayed more frequently, and will become cancerous or cause systems failure.

But that sort of activity requires active planning to achieve the end result. So it likely isn't shortening your lifespan compared to what it would be otherwise. But it is certainly preventing you from making it as long as it could be.

*edit*

I don't mean this as a "you're all going to die sooner" sort of way, either. Like I said, to a lot of people, an amazing life in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s (60s?) would be worth giving up their 90s and 100s. I appreciate that sentiment and almost agree with it. Especially given that even working towards that, you might end up drawing a shitty life card and lose out early. Then one did all that calorie restriction for nothing.

mkenyon

Banned
Tell me about it. Hit 31 this year, and this whole death thing is a helluva lot more real to me than it was even 5 years ago.

Though, one thing is for certain. A good sex life > additional 20 years at the end. But since that's already being taken care of, my mind focuses on other things :p

leakey

Hit 150lbs x 5 x 3 on bench today. Reps were super clean. Felt good finally hitting that goal. Still working on getting 3 sets finished cleanly with 225 on squats. DLs are also still a work in progress.

Will be vacationing in Spain for 2 weeks after next week. Looking forward to lots of fish and sampling some wine, but dunno if I'll be able to lift during that period. Aside from body weight exercises, what do, FitGAF?

Also,
3 hours of bad sleep after taking an ambien and 1500 calories, still hit 395x3 on deadlift. It wasn't my cleanest but I'll take it.
sounds brutal.

Will be vacationing in Spain for 2 weeks after next week. Looking forward to lots of fish and sampling some wine, but dunno if I'll be able to lift during that period. Aside from body weight exercises, what do, FitGAF?

Relax, you're on vacation. Do a lot of walking and stretching and if you really need to wake up with some planks and push ups I guess.

Hit 150lbs x 5 x 3 on bench today. Reps were super clean. Felt good finally hitting that goal. Still working on getting 3 sets finished cleanly with 225 on squats. DLs are also still a work in progress.

Also, sounds brutal.

you are on vacation bro

relax and have fun, enjoy the time off and soak in the sun and good food.

sphinx

the piano man
Damn, Incline Bench Press is Dangerous!!

I decided to incorporate BB Incline BPress into my routine, which I had ignored til now because the bank in my gym is for taller guys (mexicans have no place in German gyms ;( ) I placed two plates in the sitting pad and everything was good.

is more energy draining than regular BP, was starting to get dangerous, I had to half ass the last reps in two sets.

BumRush

NAS membership card arrived. Just got MORE stoked for the competition.

You are already dea.... Cut, I mean cut.

congrats man...makes it more official. And thanks, I definitely don't ACTUALLY think I'm overweight...just scrutinizing those ideal weight calculators which say I'm 20 lbs too heavy

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
congrats man...makes it more official. And thanks, I definitely don't ACTUALLY think I'm overweight...just scrutinizing those ideal weight calculators which say I'm 20 lbs too heavy

Yes SIR

Card-carrying member

Looks pretty sweet too.

https://twitter.com/brolicgaoler/status/590324568264351744

On a side note, I'll be returning to 5/3/1 for the big 3 power lifts for a while. And pushing events harder.

I'm also gonna check out beyond 5/3/1 finally and see if it has anything worth bothering with.

iddqd

Looks pretty sweet too.

On a side note, I'll be returning to 5/3/1 for the big 3 power lifts for a while. And pushing events harder.

I'm also gonna check out beyond 5/3/1 finally and see if it has anything worth bothering with.

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
is a great help there.

Joker sets and FIRST SETS LAST were the biggest things that made 5/3/1 work for me.

But you are the Brolic. No need to tell you anything.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
is a great help there.

Joker sets and FIRST SETS LAST were the biggest things that made 5/3/1 work for me.

I was thinking that's what I would get out of it. Since the big 3 (aside from deadlift) aren't main focuses in strongman I think submax training might actually be beneficial for me finally. Plus I'm tired of being beat to shit. Maximal training is great in short bursts, but I did it for a over a year and I'm still paying for it. After these comps I'll take a week or 3 off completely to heal, and start back up.

And Im always open to new information, no matter who from. You never know where you will get something good. Plus I'm nowhere near anything special. At least not yet. Gimme a few years.

is a great help there.

Yup joker sets and first set last really make 531 a good workout. Vanilla 531 isn't very good IMO.

Also more volume and switching to a split have really helped me, but at this point I guess I'm not really doing a stock 531.

Looks pretty sweet too.

is a great help there.

Brolic back on the 5/3/1 train? All aboard.

Yup joker sets and first set last really make 531 a good workout. Vanilla 531 isn't very good IMO.

Also more volume and switching to a split have really helped me, but at this point I guess I'm not really doing a stock 531.
Yessss 531 bros!!!!

I think I'm going to buy the Beyond 531 and run the Joker and all the other variations after doing a couple of vanilla 531 cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom