• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogloo

Hit a new 1RM for my current bodyweight (67kg) over the weekend. 195kg!

11149288_10152713839941587_7895988711820889631_n.jpg
Judging by your hair, you turned super saiyan during that lift.

It can take a while to work out, but can't hurt to see a sport doctor I'd you're concerned. About 2 years ago when I had my senior sciatica issue it took months to fix.

What did you do to fix it? I have had sciatica since January which has progressed from mild to debilitating and has meant that I have not gone to the gym since the beginning of February. Now I just do pull ups and pushups.

When it was mild I was doing a ton of stretches and lacrosse ball rolling but now it is too painful to do the stretching.

I used to be upset about missing one gym session. Fuck sciatica.

BumRush

I need to be much quicker though. At least I think I do. I'll know better after my comp. strongman is a whole different beast than powerlifting. Being strong isn't enough, you gotta be able to move quick too. And I've spent all this time on static strength, moving is a issue.

Yeah, that's a whole different beast. As lame as it sounds, yoga might help with flexibility and mobility. Also, I think ALL of fitgaf would chip in $$$ to see the mountain doing yoga.

BumRush

You can tell that there are a lot of different body styles in here, and a lot of different focus areas within the construct of "fitness", but it is evident that - especially lately - focus, health, commitment and (most importantly) PROGRESS are a common thread here. Love it. I hope my pics and progress inspire others the way you guys inspire me.

Szu

You can tell that there are a lot of different body styles in here, and a lot of different focus areas within the construct of "fitness", but it is evident that - especially lately - focus, health, commitment and (most importantly) PROGRESS are a common thread here. Love it. I hope my pics and progress inspire others the way you guys inspire me.

It's a fitness buffet in here.

MrMuscle

You guys look great! Keep going after it and keep loving it!

I want in on this picture posting as well!

Im at my heaviest ive been in probably around 4-5 years (92kg at 189cm) but i feel great and although im not shredded im still pretty lean. For those that have read my earlier posts i now work out every day and i just take the day off if I feel like it. Which has resultet to 2 days of so far this year.

Ive also added a 30 minute stroll to each day, just to be able to eat a little more. No powerwalking or anything, just a nice relaxed walk. It also gets me off my lazy ass :D

manfestival

Bro I am fat and becoming less fat

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What did you do to fix it? I have had sciatica since January which has progressed from mild to debilitating and has meant that I have not gone to the gym since the beginning of February. Now I just do pull ups and pushups.

When it was mild I was doing a ton of stretches and lacrosse ball rolling but now it is too painful to do the stretching.

I used to be upset about missing one gym session. Fuck sciatica.

Lots of stretching especially piriformus stretching and nerve flossing, work with a massage therapist and selfs ART.

yogloo

Congrats! Hitting milestones is always a good feeling. Great images on this page. I might have to throw up another video. One of me squatting in Oly shoes. I need a proper form check while I still get used to them.
Thanks!! It's a wonderful feeling. A few months ago, the thought of myself squatting 200lbs is pretty much fantasy. Human body is truly amazing.

bchamba

You guys look great! Keep going after it and keep loving it!

I want in on this picture posting as well!

Im at my heaviest ive been in probably around 4-5 years (92kg at 189cm) but i feel great and although im not shredded im still pretty lean. For those that have read my earlier posts i now work out every day and i just take the day off if I feel like it. Which has resultet to 2 days of so far this year.

Ive also added a 30 minute stroll to each day, just to be able to eat a little more. No powerwalking or anything, just a nice relaxed walk. It also gets me off my lazy ass :D

Mr Muscle indeed

mdsfx

Finding veins in my legs this week has been the best thing ever. Damn things are starting to sprout up everywhere and it's not stopping (wife's hate of veins be dammed!).

I'm also down to 157lbs. It's great that I'm shedding fat, probably some muscle too :(, but being under 160 again makes me a bit self-conscious (I've always been the little guy). But if I'm not going to be huge anytime soon, I may as well be a little shredded for summer!

mkenyon

Banned
Okay, alternate plan, advice appreciated

Alternating weeks

Week 1

Mon: 60 Mins Cardio
Tue: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Lat Pull Down, 2x10 Kickbacks, Glute Bridge
Thu: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x10 Curls, 3x10 Back Extension
Sat: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Lat Pull Down, 2x10 Kickbacks, Glute Bridge

Week 2

Tue: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x10 Curls, 3x10 Back Extension
Thu: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Lat Pull Down, 2x10 Kickbacks, Glute Bridge
Sat: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x10 Curls, 3x10 Back Extension

Goal is to move the Curls and Lat Pull Downs to Chin Ups, Dips, and Power Cleans when I have the strength to do so.

RoeBear

Damn in a bit of a bad mood now. Nutritionist/coach told me too stop working my arms for at least a month because they overpower my look. This isn't the first time I've heard this but when it comes from a pro it just makes me acknowledge it more. So now I need to replace it probably with a second back day.

Btw everyone looked great on the last page, keep it up!

sphinx

the piano man
it feels great to be part of this community.

More than showing progress, for me is just the fact that we share a passion for something, So no matter what bodytype you have or how you think you could or should look better, you giving your best is what inspires me and I think others too.

Okay, alternate plan, advice appreciated.

this is something I'd do no more than a month... and only if I were a bit scared of the lifts, just to come to terms with them.

putting 3 major compounds in one day makes me think you are just going to try them, I don't see worksets there.

I guess you can get a strength base with a couple of weeks doing that but then comes something else, right?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not sure I fully understand. But, by the three compounds in one day, you mean the Squats, Kickbacks, and Glute Bridge?

In terms of Curls and Dips, I'm not even able to do a single one of either right now.

Damn in a bit of a bad mood now. Nutritionist/coach told me too stop working my arms for at least a month because they overpower my look. This isn't the first time I've heard this but when it comes from a pro it just makes me acknowledge it more. So now I need to replace it probably with a second back day.

Btw everyone looked great on the last page, keep it up!

What's wrong with having gorilla arms? I would like mine to look disproportionate, like a very thin frame with huge arms and shoulders. That's my ideal look.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm not sure I fully understand. But, by the three compounds in one day, you mean the Squats, Kickbacks, and Glute Bridge?

In terms of Curls and Dips, I'm not even able to do a single one of either right now.

you are putting Deadlifts, Squats and a Press(Overhead Press I asume) in one session.

those are (or should) be very taxing, assuming there's a progression in terms of weight added.

if you keep adding weight to the bar, that routine, as presented, is unsustainable, try dealifting decent weight after squatting decent weight and you'll see what happens.
If you are not going to add weight to the bar...(....)... then you are just getting some conditioning and coming to terms with the lifts, for which a month is enough.

you are putting Deadlifts, Squats and a Press(Overhead Press I asume) in one session.

those are (or should) be very taxing, assuming there's a progression in terms of weight added.

if you keep adding weight to the bar, that routine, as presented, is unsustainable, try dealifting decent weight after squatting decent weight and you'll see what happens.
If you are not going to add weight to the bar...(....)... then you are just getting some conditioning and coming to terms with the lifts, for which a month is enough.

That's actually what the routine in the OP does tho. If you squat every time you have to do 3 big lifts sometimes

Chocobro

The interesting thing you guys seem to be forgetting is that having those three compound lifts also occurs in both programs in the OP.

Bowser

What? Putting 3 compounds on one day is the basis of Stronglifts 5x5 (and Ice Cream Fitness)...A/B/A with Squats every session and alternating Bench/Barbell Row (A Day) and Deadlift/Press (B Day)

Bowser

Sounds absolutely terrible and a super long work out.

Not that bad at all and it works too. Takes no longer than an hour, maybe an hour 15 if the gym is crowded. I ran ICF for 16ish weeks (although I did 3x5 not 5x5 as I was eating at a caloric deficit): http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

You're supposed to start light and progress weights in a linear fashion. When you can't complete the required sets and reps, you reset like any other program.

Both Stronglifts and ICF (a variation of Stronglifts with accessories) are pretty popular programs.

despire

Oops, ya, forgot to distinguish press and bench press. I knew it in my head though.

Might I suggest something else than what's been discussed already?

Lyle's Generic Bulking routine:
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696

It's normally more of a bodybuilding routine but can be modified to be more strength style routine by changing the reps for example:

6-8+10-12 ('pure' hypertrophy)
5's + 8-10 (strength/hypertrophy)
3's+6-8 (strength emphasis)

More here:
http://jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf

SeanR1221

You guys ever have a day where one part of your body just felt like junk and your workout suffered? My shoulder didn't feel good at all and I just felt floppy on bench. Couldn't get tight, couldn't maintain an arch, lowering it felt bad...

Man I hate these days. But I guess they all can't be good and at least I got my ass in there.

ACE 1991

Alternating weeks

Week 1

Tue: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Lat Pull Down, 2x10 Kickbacks, Glute Bridge
Thu: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x10 Curls, 3x10 Back Extension
Sat: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Lat Pull Down, 2x10 Kickbacks, Glute Bridge

Week 2

Tue: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x10 Curls, 3x10 Back Extension
Thu: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Lat Pull Down, 2x10 Kickbacks, Glute Bridge
Sat: 30 Cardio, 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x10 Curls, 3x10 Back Extension

Goal is to move the Curls and Lat Pull Downs to Chin Ups, Dips, and Power Cleans when I have the strength to do so.

PHUL is also a super fun routine that I recently started, strength and hypertrophy days are split up. Leg strength day is pretty damn brutal, though. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

In other news, thanks for all the CPU cooler fan advice yesterday :p

EDIT: In other other news, finally got 200lbx5 on bench, it's so weird how I'll struggle for months then my lifts will shoot up in a matter of weeks. Bodies, man.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I wish my gym had 1.25lb plates. Lowest we have is 2.5 lbs and it can be demoralizing when you end up stalling with no room to go lower except the same weight you lifted last session.

BumRush

Alternating weeks

Week 1

Week 2

Looks pretty good man....pretty standard SS, at a glance. Much better than what you're currently doing (I'm assuming you called both Bench and OHP "press" but you should be alternating them).

Suggestions:

• cut down on cardio a bit and do a warmup set for EVERY compound lift you do.
  • most importantly, do more SS research to know when to increase your weight and how much to increase. It shouldn't just be done by feel.
  • You're REALLY into kickbacks, glute bridges and back extensions, huh? Mix up your accessories a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom