• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

I listen to a bunch of weekly trance mixes from DJ's in mixcloud. Download the MP3s and throw them on the microsd.

Feel really good today, excellent sleep also. Should be a good one at the gym.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice Bolic. Really looking forward to seeing how this goes for you.

I've been stuck at 193 for 3 days and it's bugging me. Ha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And just weighed in at 231. Hit my competition weight and the comp is next Friday. Huge relief.

Congrats. Now just hang in there and don't sneak extra food!

How do you feel with regards to your weight? Besides weaker than usual.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Congrats. Now just hang in there and don't sneak extra food!

How do you feel with regards to your weight? Besides weaker than usual.

I feel fine actually. And the funny thing is I've had to sneak extra food to slow this weight loss down for fear of losing more strength. Shit, tonight I'm having fried chicken and pizza wasn't uncommon.

Nice Bolic. Really looking forward to seeing how this goes for you.

I've been stuck at 193 for 3 days and it's bugging me. Ha

Thanks bud!

Managed 405x3 again, followed by 225x4x10. That's one more set than last time. My grip gave out AGAIN. I could have easily gotten 2-3 more reps 😒 I'm gonna look into getting some chalk. And maybe a belt, although I've never felt I needed one enough to justify the cost.

Did a bunch of upper back/biceps/forearms/grip stuff afterwards. My forearms are fried. I was having trouble shrugging 50s for 10 lmao.

You don't have to break the bank on a belt. I've been using this one on my top set:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00074H7WI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheap + uniform width. Might be worth it just to see how it treats you.

Chalk you got no excuse on though, that's like $2.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Phew, you think we do this for our health.

It's all about the gainz!!!

I actually need an opinion on this... My hip flexors on either side are sore, and Im at my first squat reset. Should I reset as per SS or deload further to let my body heal. Or do I take a break from squats (please say no)

Sure it's light for most of you here in FitGAF but I was ecstatic to finally hit 2x5, 1x4 squats at 225#. I wanted to get that last rep to make it 3x5 but my left calf was feeling a little wonky that I just racked it and walked away, still very happy at what I was able to do.
This ain't Crossfit, yo.

The rest of my lifts weren't that great though, lol:
- Overhead press: 1x5 @ 110, 2x5 @ 105# - still stuck here
- Power clean: 5x3 @ 115# - still stuck here

It's ok given my activities the past few days:
- Saturday: 12.5-mile relatively flat run
- Sunday: 40-mile road bike ride up Mt. Baldy Road to Mt. Baldy Village then down Glendora Ridge Road/Glendora Mountain Road here in SoCal, 4600+ft total elevation climb
- Monday: 7x15 air squats, 5x5 burpees, 1x10 narrow neutral grip pullups, 3x4 wide grip pullups, 15 minutes jump rope

That said, I'm primarily into running and cycling (both recreational/non-competitive), with powerlifting used as crosstraining to help compliment those activities.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sure it's light for most of you here in FitGAF but I was ecstatic to finally hit 2x5, 1x4 squats at 225#. I wanted to get that last rep to make it 3x5 but my left calf was feeling a little wonky that I just racked it and walked away, still very happy at what I was able to do.
This ain't Crossfit, yo.

The rest of my lifts weren't that great though, lol:
- Overhead press: 1x5 @ 110, 2x5 @ 105# - still stuck here
- Power clean: 5x3 @ 115# - still stuck here

It's ok given my activities the past few days:
- Saturday: 12.5-mile relatively flat run
- Sunday: 40-mile road bike ride up Mt. Baldy Road to Mt. Baldy Village then down Glendora Ridge Road/Glendora Mountain Road here in SoCal, 4600+ft total elevation climb
- Monday: 7x15 air squats, 5x5 burpees, 1x10 narrow neutral grip pullups, 3x4 wide grip pullups, 15 minutes jump rope

That said, I'm primarily into running and cycling (both recreational/non-competitive), with powerlifting used as crosstraining to help compliment those activities.

All,perfectly fine lifts, for you. Don't or try not to compare yourself to others especially if you aren't competing. So long as you have a goal and stick with it, that's all that matters. Welcome to the thread.

All,perfectly fine lifts, for you. Don't or try not to compare yourself to others especially if you aren't competing. So long as you have a goal and stick with it, that's all that matters. Welcome to the thread.
Thank you Brolic! At the end of the day my only real goal is to simply keep my gut down, yo. =)
But I like food lol

J. Bravo

You don't have to break the bank on a belt. I've been using this one on my top set:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00074H7WI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheap + uniform width. Might be worth it just to see how it treats you.

Chalk you got no excuse on though, that's like $2.
cool thanks, I'll probably order that in the next few days. as for c halk.... yeah I'm just too lazy and never needed it. I still don't think I do but if I fail 405x5 one more time i'll probably invest.
How the fuck are you not using chalk Bravo at 405? Damn lol.

mixed grip and beast mode

16BitNova

Hi FitGaf. So, I have been drinking coffee before my workouts for quite a while now and I was wondering if you all think this is an ok habit to have or if I should kick it. It really helps with my motivation to get up and going about my workout. But, if it's a bad habit to have or unhealthy I will definitely let it go. I was just wondering what your opinions were about this.

Hi FitGaf. So, I have been drinking coffee before my workouts for quite a while now and I was wondering if you all think this is an ok habit to have or if I should kick it. It really helps with my motivation to get up and going about my workout. But, if it's a bad habit to have or unhealthy I will definitely let it go. I was just wondering what your opinions were about this.
Morning coffee all the time for me before I do my thing, yo.
And a motrin

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Nothing wrong with it, I've done it a couple times. The energy boost from caffeine is helpful. Only downside is to make sure you use the bathroom before you start your workout for obvious reasons.

Liquid chalk is the truth. And definitely get a belt.

I went with

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KGA1L6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm getting close to ~200 lbs on my deadlift and my hands get really sweaty causing the bar to slip out. #ChalkScrub.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Attempted front squats for the first time. The movement is extremely awkward for me coming from doing years of regular high bar squats. I think I'll practice the movement on non squat days. For the time being unused kettle bells to simulate hand placement and movement. Sort of got used to it there. Kept feeling like I'm unbalanced when keeping my torso so vertical.

16BitNova

^^^ Sounds good. Yeah the energy boost is a huge help. I've tried without coffee once or twice and just felt like I could not push myself as much I usually do. But, thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

There are a couple of us in here. You're not alone. :)

My OHP numbers are shit too... and my bench. I blame them on breaking both my collarbones when I was young.

Chocobro

Hmm..might go back to DLing in my Adipower WL shoes, after DLing in flats for four months (DL'd in Adipower for a few months before that). The starting position feels a lot better than when I was using Chuck Taylors or CF Lite TRs. Extra leg drive, but slightly tougher lockout.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Attempted front squats for the first time. The movement is extremely awkward for me coming from doing years of regular high bar squats. I think I'll practice the movement on non squat days. For the time being unused kettle bells to simulate hand placement and movement. Sort of got used to it there. Kept feeling like I'm unbalanced when keeping my torso so vertical.

It's awkward period. That's pretty much the point. Also, if anyone gets into strongman, just realize EVERYTHING is awkward.

mkenyon

Banned
Caffeine is my favorite nootropic.

I'd give up pretty much anything before my morning black coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night, please.

Regarding shoes, I bought a pair of these because Asics just works with my feet (crazy wide forefoot). Almost no cushion, but still feel plenty great for max incline walking on the treadmill.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Liquid chalk is the truth. And definitely get a belt.

How do you know when you need a belt ? Im trying to figure out when to go pick one up.

^^^ Sounds good. Yeah the energy boost is a huge help. I've tried without coffee once or twice and just felt like I could not push myself as much I usually do. But, thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Theres definately a difference with me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It's awkward period. That's pretty much the point. Also, if anyone gets into strongman, just realize EVERYTHING is awkward.

That's good to know that's the case. Felt out of my depth a bit when using a loaded bar. Even when I get the movement down, I know I'll have to work on wrist mobility or stick with the cross arm grip.

I love how they hit the upper back though. Plan on doing these for my high volume movement for BBB 531

ILoveBish

I went with

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KGA1L6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm getting close to ~200 lbs on my deadlift and my hands get really sweaty causing the bar to slip out. #ChalkScrub.

That's the chalk I started with as well. Then I made my own liquid chalk and I'm now a lifer with that. It is glorious.

How do you know when you need a belt ? Im trying to figure out when to go pick one up.

Need is a strong word. I didn't need the belt, but it helped make all my lifts easier. Win/win. You really feel like your abs are bracing against a wall and can get tighter. Its nice. I don't use it on my warm up sets, just the working sets.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's good to know that's the case. Felt out of my depth a bit when using a loaded bar. Even when I get the movement down, I know I'll have to work on wrist mobility or stick with the cross arm grip.

I love how they hit the upper back though. Plan on doing these for my high volume movement for BBB 531

Every time I go heavy on them I feel like I'm about to black out. It's definitely awkward

How do you know when you need a belt?
People can squat pretty heavy without a belt. Search for "squat no belt" on YouTube.

You need a belt when your core strength is limiting how much you can squat or DL and it's not because you've been neglecting core strength assistance exercises. You probably don't need a belt.

J. Bravo

What are you doing for legs? You don't have to do squats but you have to do something for legs.

blah. I hate doing legs. I've turned into such a total bro that way. I guess I'll deadlift mondays and squat thursdays. I don't really know any other good leg exercises other than lunge variations and front squats.

You don't lift because you enjoy them, breh. Learn to love the pain.
I love the pain from other lifts. I kind of suck at squatting imo tho.
You might end up with a chick leg booty.

I already have a pretty big butt. what's a chick leg booty? like skinny legs big butt?

blah. I hate doing legs. I've turned into such a total bro that way. I guess I'll deadlift mondays and squat thursdays. I don't really know any other good leg exercises other than lunge variations and front squats.

I love the pain from other lifts. I kind of suck at squatting imo tho.

I already have a pretty big butt. what's a chick leg booty? like skinny legs big butt?

Don't neglect your hamstrings. Learned that the hard way.

leg curls, lying leg curls, stiff legged deads, glute ham raises

as for non barbell squats you mentioned lunges. Can also do leg presses, hack squat, leg extentions, etc.

J. Bravo

Don't neglect your hamstrings. Learned that the hard way.

leg curls, lying leg curls, stiff legged deads, glute ham raises

as for non barbell squats you mentioned lunges. Can also do leg presses, hack squat, leg extentions, etc.

does squatting below parallel not hit your hamstrings? or conventional deads? and what about lunges? I mean, when I squat, I do lunges and lying hamstring curls afterwards, but the curls are done with like 20lbs because my ass and hams are cramping from the lunges and squats.

ILoveBish

235 on bench done, really nice rep and felt great. 1s week going terrific. Oh and got off of the bench, and the lighting in the mirror was just right enough to see lines forming on my pecs, like those lines going from the middle line into the pec. I dunno what you call them, except I'll call them progress.

J. Bravo

235 on bench done, really nice rep and felt great. 1s week going terrific. Oh and got off of the bench, and the lighting in the mirror was just right enough to see lines forming on my pecs, like those lines going from the middle line into the pec. I dunno what you call them, except I'll call them progress.

striations baby!! nice *brofist*

Caffeine is my favorite nootropic.

I'd give up pretty much anything before my morning black coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night, please.

Regarding shoes, I bought a pair of these because Asics just works with my feet (crazy wide forefoot). Almost no cushion, but still feel plenty great for max incline walking on the treadmill.

I want to like this, but I must be drinking it wrong. It burns my lips each time I try. Should I be trying iced coffee? What is the mystical secret to drinking black coffee?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cross posted from strongmsn forum. Also, incorporating some 5/3/1 volume into my program already.

Weighed in at 230lbs this morning. 1 lb under comp weight, even with eating more. So gonna increase a bit more. Shoulder has been bothering me more lately, so did volume today.

Benchpress: 45lbsx10, 95x10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x2, 275x5, 225x10.10.
Bench press was Superset band pull aparts and barbell rows

BPA: 20,20,20,20
BBR: 135x10, 225x5, 275x5,5,5,5, 225x5,5.

Dumbbell bench: 70lbs x10,10,9

Superset with barbell curls

65x15,15,15.

Shoukder actually felt fantastic when done.

mkenyon

Banned
I want to like this, but I must be drinking it wrong. It burns my lips each time I try. Should I be trying iced coffee? What is the mystical secret to drinking black coffee?
1) 204 degree water for French Press

B005YR0F40.MAIN.jpg

2) A French Press.

415308e.jpg

3) Burr Grinder, super important.

saeco-titan-burr-grinder.jpg

4) Quality beans. I've been drinking coffee since I was 12 (am now 31), cause it was the family business for awhile. Dad owned a Cafe and is a coffee freak. This is local for me, and my favorite I've ever had.

03_batdorfbronson.jpg

It's seriously a night and day difference. You're talking about a whole, oily, earthy drink of delicious black coffee with this. It's nothing like that acid water you get out of shit like crap drip makers or the worst, Keurig.

Matugi

12 long months after initially injuring my bulging disc, and 6 months after dealing with tendonitis in my hip, I hit 305x3 on high bar squats to full depth. My form is better than ever and I feel great. My deadlift has been slower getting back to full strength but it's getting there.

Kimosabae

Banned
Thanks for the responses on creatine, all. Just bought some body fortress from Walmart and gonna experiment with that for a while.

And yeah, I've made it a principle to never make any weighty decisions, ever, prior to having a cup of black coffee.

BumRush

Cross posted from strongmsn forum. Also, incorporating some 5/3/1 volume into my program already.

Weighed in at 230lbs this morning. 1 lb under comp weight, even with eating more. So gonna increase a bit more. Shoulder has been bothering me more lately, so did volume today.

Benchpress: 45lbsx10, 95x10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x2, 275x5, 225x10.10.
Bench press was Superset band pull aparts and barbell rows

BPA: 20,20,20,20
BBR: 135x10, 225x5, 275x5,5,5,5, 225x5,5.

Dumbbell bench: 70lbs x10,10,9

Superset with barbell curls

65x15,15,15.

Shoukder actually felt fantastic when done.

You're suppersetting this close to competition? Trying to increase fitness a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom