• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What kind of assistance stuff is everyone else doing with 5/3/1?
Leg Raise/Croc Row/Leg Curl/ Chin ups?

I do Boring But Big but I add some assistance work. On leg day all I really add are Romanian deadlifting. Upper body is dips, croc rows, another shoulder or chest specific excersise, and bicep work (usually heavy curls, and lighter preacher curls)

Redhood

It always slows down, and when it slows down you have a decision... be happy with the new rate, or reduce your calories / up your exercise by an appropriate amount. At the end of the day, dieting can tank your metabolism, and not just that, but weighing less means you burn less calories anyway.

That makes sense. I am happy with the way my body looks now its just that these love handles need to go. Should I lower my fat intake while maintaining the calorie count?

So I just started getting back in shape. I really just want to run a few miles a day, but there's no track near me and running on pavement is starting to give me shin splints. Would building up calf muscles help me get some shock absorbers to run on pavement? If so, what are some good exercises to help with that? Would a recumbent exercise bike help?

despire

That makes sense. I am happy with the way my body looks now its just that these love handles need to go. Should I lower my fat intake while maintaining the calorie count?

No you need fat. Protein is most important, then fat. Carbs are expendable.

Of course it depends on how much fat are you eating currently? It is heavy on calories but you don't want to go low fat.

Love handles are stubborn areas for men. What's your bodyfat % looking like? If you're getting fairly lean (4-6 abs) it may just come down to that. Patience, of course, is always a necessity :)

Also, since you've dieting for about 2 months straight it may actually help to take a couple weeks at your (new) maintenance to let your hormones recover some. That will make it easier to lose fat when you start dieting again, help you learn where your new maintenance levels are, and the extra calories/recovered hormones will give you a boost while working out which is good for morale :)

You want at least 20% calories from fat and make sure you get your fish oils.

mkenyon

Banned
So I just started getting back in shape. I really just want to run a few miles a day, but there's no track near me and running on pavement is starting to give me shin splints. Would building up calf muscles help me get some shock absorbers to run on pavement? If so, what are some good exercises to help with that? Would a recumbent exercise bike help?
It's almost definitely a result of not having the right shoes. But first, are you sure they're shin splints? Not all shin pain is shin splints.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints

My advice, find a store somewhere near you that specifically caters to runners. Have them pick shoes out for you. They will likely have a treadmill for you to run on, and they will be able to adequately diagnose what kind of a runner you are and get the right pair of shoes for you.

There's nothing more important than having the right pair of shoes for a runner. That and stretching really well before and after.

J. Bravo

Squatting tonight after work. I'm gonna eat so much free pizza and drink so much free water. The last thing I want is to be dehydrated and lacking fuel attempting to hit 355x5 or so. I hope there is a big dude squatting also because last time there was he was a great motivator and totally cool with my 5 minute rests between sets haha.

I've injured my knee a little, and the re-hab exercises take about an hour. I was already working out twice a night most nights, and this is making it into a total nightmare time wise. =/

Squatting tonight after work. I'm gonna eat so much free pizza and drink so much free water. The last thing I want is to be dehydrated and lacking fuel attempting to hit 355x5 or so. I hope there is a big dude squatting also because last time there was he was a great motivator and totally cool with my 5 minute rests between sets haha.

Nothing helps you squeeze out that extra rep like the resident big dude shouting "Easy, EASY! DRIVE! COME ON!"

You pay for it the next day though. Just when you thought you were done being sore...

It's almost definitely a result of not having the right shoes. But first, are you sure they're shin splints? Not all shin pain is shin splints.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints

My advice, find a store somewhere near you that specifically caters to runners. Have them pick shoes out for you. They will likely have a treadmill for you to run on, and they will be able to adequately diagnose what kind of a runner you are and get the right pair of shoes for you.

There's nothing more important than having the right pair of shoes for a runner. That and stretching really well before and after.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure if it's from the shoes, they're only part of the problem. I just got a brand new pair of Nike Air Pegasus 31s after reading a really good review from Sole Review (http://www.solereview.com/nike-air-pegasus-31-review/). I'm not completely sure if they're shin splints, I've always called any shin pain that comes out when running shin splints. I'm really hoping it's just stressing my legs too much without having built up enough muscle around that area, and after using the bike for a couple weeks and standing on my toes/heels for a few minutes every day, I'll be able to start running outside again.

Szu

Had a decent squat day last night. I decided to go for some volume work.

Overhead squat
2x10 bar only
1x10 95lbs
1x5 135lbs
2x4 135lbs

Low bar back squat
3x10 225lbs

Front squat
3x10 135lbs

Leg press
3x12 315lbs

My buddy also got his gravity boots. Did 3x15 hanging situps. Felt like Batman.

ILoveBish

Feel really good today strength wise. Deadlift today, excited.

I've injured my knee a little, and the re-hab exercises take about an hour. I was already working out twice a night most nights, and this is making it into a total nightmare time wise. =/

Damn, I'd hate to get injured. I'm always so careful. Hope you heal up quick.

Looking to get my 1-mile time better - do you guys have any tips? I don't own any weights and a gym is out of the question, but I have a lot of space at my house and a good neighborhood for running.
Right now I'm at around 8:00. This is just a flat mile, not a split of a 5K or anything. I can do a good sprint (Used to run the 100M in ~11s back in high school), but I just really really suck at anything past 1/4 mile.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks! I'm pretty sure if it's from the shoes, they're only part of the problem. I just got a brand new pair of Nike Air Pegasus 31s after reading a really good review from Sole Review (http://www.solereview.com/nike-air-pegasus-31-review/). I'm not completely sure if they're shin splints, I've always called any shin pain that comes out when running shin splints. I'm really hoping it's just stressing my legs too much without having built up enough muscle around that area, and after using the bike for a couple weeks and standing on my toes/heels for a few minutes every day, I'll be able to start running outside again.
Are you certain those shoes work with your gait?

Good shoes doesn't mean good fit. Overpronators need one type of shoe, people with a high arch need another, people with a wide forefoot who are heel strikers need yet another. It's about the right fit for your foot shape and running style.

sphinx

the piano man

thanks for this post, it remainded me that I had to squat today and that I hadn't taken enough calories, proceeded to eat 2 burgers just before workout,

bloat be damned, everything went as planned, I had a great session today.

ILoveBish

415 on deadlift today was great. Felt really good, strong pull and went up clean.

That concludes 1s week.

Monday start new food plan, along with going dairy free for no reason other then to try it.

Had a decent squat day last night. I decided to go for some volume work.

Overhead squat
2x10 bar only
1x10 95lbs
1x5 135lbs
2x4 135lbs

Low bar back squat
3x10 225lbs

Front squat
3x10 135lbs

Leg press
3x12 315lbs

My buddy also got his gravity boots. Did 3x15 hanging situps. Felt like Batman.

I visit a park on my run and use the monkey bars for this. I just hook my legs over one bar and under the next. I struggle to get 10 of those in. Doing 3 sets of 15 is insanity.

blackflag

Squatted for my first time in about 7 months since my back injury.

10 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 315
5 x 315
1 x 315

I was trying to do 3 sets at 315 but by the last one my shoulders and wrist were hurting too much. I'm wide and don't have good shoulder mobility so I guess I need to work on that. It hurts like hell even to take a really wide grip on the bar. I need to figure that out. But the weight itself was fine. I'm going to take it slow though. No more ego.

I also weighed 278 on April 6 and weighed 261 today. Dieting hard until I'm 10% or lower. Averaging 2500 cals per day.

As you can see I've got a lot of work to do. Probably 3 more months worth of dieting. Final weight probably 240 or I dunno maybe less. I hope not. :(

L1JOkUyl.jpg

grumble

Don't go too hard initially and practice hitting your forefoot first, then heel. It helps a lot. Ease into it, even if you can do the distance your body may not be used to the specific stress of running.

mkenyon

Banned
Don't go too hard initially and practice hitting your forefoot first, then heel. It helps a lot. Ease into it, even if you can do the distance your body may not be used to the specific stress of running.
This can (and probably will) cause microfractures if they're not accustomed to it and don't have the right equipment.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man, my new gym has these weird bars for squatting and benching that are fatter than the Texas ones we had at the Uni gym. It's pretty hard to grip properly and is giving me old the wrist pains I used to get with a full grip. Gotta work on my shoulder and wrist mobility again T_T.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to fitness gaf. I'm trying to switch industries which means I have some free time right now. I joined my city gym which is pretty good and cheap. I've been using the bench press and free weights for curls. Power rack for squats. I've been kind of doing a mix of stronglifts 5x5 and greyskull lp.

I don't have any questions or anything right now, but I might soon. I just wanted to introduce myself.

For a little anecdote, the first time I did squats three weeks ago, I only did 85lbs 5x5 but it destroyed me. I barely made it down the stairs. For the next three days I walked like an old man. You have to respect those squats.

J. Bravo

thanks for this post, it remainded me that I had to squat today and that I hadn't taken enough calories, proceeded to eat 2 burgers just before workout,

bloat be damned, everything went as planned, I had a great session today.
Glad to hear it. Mine didn't. Only hit 355x1. That's what I get for neglecting squats for so long. As penance, I did 225x3x8, 4x8 lunges with 30s, and 3x12 @ 100 leg curls. I feel terrible but oddly elated at the moment. I'll going to hurt tomorrow.

ILoveBish

I discovered winco market. Amazing place and 24 hours. Fully stocked with coconut flour, almond flour, unsweetened coconut flakes and so much more. Also 5 dozen eggs for 8.50 or so. Will be back there for sure.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So my workout has been ruined. I thought I was doing deadlits with decent form but in the middle of my set this guy just tells me in the most dickish way possible my form is wrong and walks away. I ask him then what do I do then he says it's not about the weight and continues to walk away. I was pulling 325 lbs for reference. Now I can't finish my last set :(.

I looked it up and I guess my form went off when I went heavy since my shins bleed. Well in particular my right shin bleeds at times. Besides that shins werent a problem till I broke 300 lbs. And my back has felt fine. I would think I would have seriously injured myself by now if my form wasn't at least somewhat correct right?.

Also I'm pulling with hex plates so it is a PITA to reset every single rep. And before you guys say to switch gyms I wish. I go to 24 and only pay $16 a month. Don't think I can afford or get a better rate than that at a good gym.

Also didnt help it's the middle of the night and besides him I was only one in the free weight area. Man I was in such a good mood after watching Ultron too.

Struck a new PR on the squat on the 3rd week of BBB. 1x1x126,5 (278 lbs). Did a 2nd rep but form was poor.

Commencing cut! HIIT for the next month - or 2. I'm dreading it already, however, that mid section love handle flab isn't going to burn by itself. Had an all you can eat running sushi buffet yesterday since the next the month (at minimum) will be strict dieting. Aiming for 70~71 kg, weigh approx. 74~75 kg currently.

So my workout has been ruined. I thought I was doing deadlits with decent form but in the middle of my set this guy just tells me in the most dickish way possible my form is wrong and walks away. I ask him then what do I do the! he says it's not about the weight and continues to walk away. I was pulling 325 lbs for reference. Now I can't finish my last set :(.

I looked it up and I guess my form went off when I went heavy since my shins bleed. Well in particular my right shin bleeds at times. Besides that shins werent a problem till I broke 300 lbs. And my back has felt fine. I would think I would have seriously injured myself by now if my form wasn't at least somewhat correct right?.

You could always make a video recording of your heavy deadlift set and post it here and I'm sure will get some advice on your form. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if your form is correct even if your lift feels good. I thought my squats were ok until one of my gym acquaintances pointed out that my heels rise off the floor slightly during my heavier sets. I could have never told that myself since I was pretty sure that my heels were firmly planted. I guess I should record a few of my own squat sets too to see if I'm able to keep my heels down nowadays.

And when it comes to shin scraping it happens to most of us. However, if your shins are bleeding every time you might be doing something wrong. Check out this article.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You could always make a video recording of your heavy deadlift set and post it here and I'm sure will get some advice on your form. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if your form is correct even if your lift feels good. I thought my squats were ok until one of my gym acquaintances pointed out that my heels rise off the floor slightly during my heavier sets. I could have never told that myself since I was pretty sure that my heels were firmly planted. I guess I should record a few of my own squat sets too to see if I'm able to keep my heels down nowadays.

And when it comes to shin scraping it happens to most of us. However, if your shins are bleeding every time you might be doing something wrong. Check out this article.

Yeah ended up finding that article after just questioning myself if I'm doing everything wrong. I'll try and get someone to tape me sometime. Otherwise maybe I'll run into my gym acquaintance who powerlifts and actually helped me with form issues on other lifts.

Also added to my post since I figured hex plates may play a part in my shin scrapes.

Bollocks. Spent the last couple of weeks cutting ready for my cycling event this weekend and somehow I've put on over a kg (~2.5lbs) in a single day. Intake was correct, so I can only assume I'm retaining water or something.

GRRR

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So my workout has been ruined. I thought I was doing deadlits with decent form but in the middle of my set this guy just tells me in the most dickish way possible my form is wrong and walks away. I ask him then what do I do then he says it's not about the weight and continues to walk away. I was pulling 325 lbs for reference. Now I can't finish my last set :(.

Also I'm pulling with hex plates so it is a PITA to reset every single rep. And before you guys say to switch gyms I wish. I go to 24 and only pay $16 a month. Don't think I can afford or get a better rate than that at a good gym.

Also didnt help it's the middle of the night and besides him I was only one in the free weight area. Man I was in such a good mood after watching Ultron too.
Obviously I can't know without seeing your deadlift form but going by your description I'd say there's a chance that this person's idea of good form is something stupid like touch and go or time under tension or slowly controlling the descent because the negative is when the fibres get pumped, brah. If he had something useful or insightful to say he would have said it.

Hey guys, just stopping in quick to see if anyone's good at doing a visible body fat estimate? Warning for total half-naked pics and all that jazz, taken today:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ny3egmdct7c9wk/IMG_20150501_052645.jpg?dl=0

About 170-171 lbs @ 6' tall (fluctuates about 5% of that weight depending on salt intake and general water retention). Measurement just below the belly button is approx 28.75". For comparison, my Apr 5th pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpr6emawdgh0mzj/IMG_20150405_225904.jpg?dl=0

Sorry, no face. Not a big fan of my face. Might have a pic of a fat version of me if that interests anybody but it's not that relevant.

Taking a 1-2 week hiatus or so, then I'll be debating whether I want to try and cut down as low as humanly possible (although probably with a smaller deficit) before heading to a maintenance program and chasing some modest gains while staying low in body fat.

...I don't even know if I should be buying new clothes yet because I don't feel like I'm done lol. Still wearing 34-36's with a belt but that's been getting pretty loose. Anyways, feedback welcome, esp if anyone here can estimate body fat visually. The break should be a good time and then I'll be focusing on the execution again as much as possible. Thanks Fit-GAF.

McLovin

Punching in my cardio into mfp and was bummed because I was brushing up against my carb and fat limit. And then I realized that it adjusts your limits (fat/carbs/protein) according to how much exercise you've done. Blew my mind. I just don't know how I'm gonna eat 250+ grams of protein for dinner😑

Shit ton of front squats and deficit straight leg deads. Wonderful way to start a friday.

edit: I love doing my front squats olympic style for the wrist and shoulder stretch.

Hey all,

Just started about 3 weeks ago lifting with my friend 6 days a week and I am dying on the bench press. Even lighter weights my elbows start giving out. Everything else is going fine, is there a way to work on my elbows? Or should I start doing more reps at less weight? Or do less at more? I just don't want my friend to feel like I'm holding our workouts back.

MjFrancis

I had a few days where I got 3-4 hours a sleep a night and I still trained. To compensate, stuck with a single lift and then did a lot of light weight assistance work, i.e. standing press then rear flies and face pulls and such afterwards.

I finally got a full night's sleep last night and I still didn't train to full capacity this morning because it was clear I have not recovered as well given the cumulative sleep deficit. I thought if I were barbell squatting I may have pushed that training day back altogether.

What do most people here currently do for workouts/training when you are short on sleep?

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
PR on weighted chins (palms facing each other) for 5 reps with 40 lbs attached and full range of motion. Feels pretty good, I am getting stronger can't wait to get to 45 lbs. My goal is to get to 90lbs weighted but on regular chin ups. I started my cut today. I weigh 195 adn I am going to get down to 180. :)

Sadetar

An update of pure awesomeness as far as I am concerned.

Even though I have been somewhat unable to work out (I haven't been at the gym for two weeks) I have used the time well and actually wrote my graduating thesis. I will be sending it to my professor today for pre-evaluation. It seems I will be getting my master's degree this spring! This is by the way the main reason why I haven't been spamming in here lately.

On top of that my back problems haven't been bothering me for about a week now. I yet met with the physiatrist on Monday and went to MRI on Thursday. I will be getting the results the following Monday and I will meet the physiatrist after a week from that to discuss about the results. Next Monday I will also be meeting with my physiotherapists so we can go through my work outs. I have also booked another meeting with her so we can talk after I have got the evaluation of the MRI results.

My stress levels are starting to get lower and I feel so good knowing that things are starting to be as they should! I have gained couple pounds during this all, but it is all worth it. I am sure I will be getting back on track with no time. Can't wait! :)

I also need to say that it was awesome to come back to here and see are the brilliant photos and comments! <3

I did some fatcep work last week and my arms exploded...

gdPUcDe.jpg
Oh my. Wow. :D

So did sadetar's pants.
Hahahah, I am that predictable. :p

Really a shame I haven't yet reached the state of creepiness where I would have a file to save some of the pics I see in here.

OMG, there's only a small piece of fabric between MTP and us.
Just the way we like it. ;)

12 long months after initially injuring my bulging disc, and 6 months after dealing with tendonitis in my hip, I hit 305x3 on high bar squats to full depth. My form is better than ever and I feel great. My deadlift has been slower getting back to full strength but it's getting there.
I am so very happy for you! I know how annoying injuries can be and it is great to hear that you are doing good at the moment! :D

Wife will be there recording both.
Good to hear that you are on your comp weight. I am so excited to see the videos and hear how you did! Good luck with all of it. I am sure you will be the beast I know.

https://instagram.com/p/2CFio_HTW8/

315lbs 5x5
I wasn't able to do this last year.
Damn. That was extremely impressive!

so I normally dont do this and well I also hate taking my shirt off. I also refused to take any sort of progress pics before starting my workout but here is a picture comparing myself from january to yesterday. Btw I have never been able to wear that black shirt. I got it from a friend in 2012 and have held onto it, hoping to one day wear it. I feel really weird posting this picture but I wanted to share with you fitGAF

prog_zps52ngzrcz.jpg
Well thank you for sharing! It is always great to see people's progress. That is really inspirational - at first I wouldn't have even realized it is the same person to be honest. Well done!

I'm wide...
And I love it.

Just saying.

Hey guys, just stopping in quick to see if anyone's good at doing a visible body fat estimate? Warning for total half-naked pics and all that jazz, taken today:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ny3egmdct7c9wk/IMG_20150501_052645.jpg?dl=0

About 170-171 lbs @ 6' tall (fluctuates about 5% of that weight depending on salt intake and general water retention). Measurement just below the belly button is approx 28.75". For comparison, my Apr 5th pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpr6emawdgh0mzj/IMG_20150405_225904.jpg?dl=0

Sorry, no face. Not a big fan of my face. Might have a pic of a fat version of me if that interests anybody but it's not that relevant.

Taking a 1-2 week hiatus or so, then I'll be debating whether I want to try and cut down as low as humanly possible (although probably with a smaller deficit) before heading to a maintenance program and chasing some modest gains while staying low in body fat.

...I don't even know if I should be buying new clothes yet because I don't feel like I'm done lol. Still wearing 34-36's with a belt but that's been getting pretty loose. Anyways, feedback welcome, esp if anyone here can estimate body fat visually. The break should be a good time and then I'll be focusing on the execution again as much as possible. Thanks Fit-GAF.
You are lean as you are. I don't see any reason for you to cut as low as humanly possible and I strongly go against it. If I were you, I would have a short maintaining and start to bulk slowly to gain more muscles. Then again that is just me and don't take it too negatively. Just do you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That thread actually brought me here :lol

What do you do if you only want to gain like 5 pounds of muscle? Is it worth that? I'm like 165/ 5'11. I just want to be lean and toned.

My brother though is huge like 220 same height

Eat more and lift, really. It's always worth it.

Cooper

That thread actually brought me here :lol

What do you do if you only want to gain like 5 pounds of muscle? Is it worth that? I'm like 165/ 5'11. I just want to be lean and toned.

My brother though is huge like 220 same height

Just so you know, gaining "only" 5 pounds of muscle is still probably a 6+ month commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom