• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

For those of you that said you could guestimate BF% what would you say I was at before I started SS?

170lbs at 6'0''

Pic for reference:
SbeVjgN.jpg

I probably could have bumped up 10 lbs on the squat instead of my 5 lbs per last night. I got 3x5 @ 115 easy. OHP + 5 lbs to 85 and power clean +5 to 100. More progress!

edit: My ass is starting to firm up already. Thank you based squats and dead lifts! :D

rokkerkory

For those of you that said you could guestimate BF% what would you say I was at before I started SS?

170lbs at 6'0''

Pic for reference:
SbeVjgN.jpg

I probably could have bumped up 10 lbs on the squat instead of my 5 lbs per last night. I got 3x5 @ 115 easy. OHP + 5 lbs to 85 and power clean +5 to 100. More progress!

edit: My ass is starting to firm up already. Thank you based squats and dead lifts! :D

~20ish%?

Sadetar

Oooh! My new Quest bars in cinnamon flavour arrived today! <3 That was a huge motivation boost for gym since I was just telling to myself that if I do really good I can have a half after that. Soooo delicious. :p

Naw. Haha. But whatever, you've done so well! Keep going! <3

Omg people commented at work today and I was like ;_____; plz

40 minutes done in my sweat box. It's like a whole new work out. Hot Cardio, like hot yoga, but no air, no breathing, and sweating until you have nothing left!
Awwww, thanks honey! I will try to do my best. You have yourself been doing extremely well as well! Very proud of you kitty!

And if you do that hot cardio thing of yours make sure to drink loads of water! I sure as hell know I couldn't do that...

Channeled my inner Brolic tonight.

308/319/330/330/308 x4-5

Been doing lots of band work on my shoulders, spent a good 30 mins with bands after bench and LTEs. Kelly Starrett and Bryce Lewis have some good videos on band stretches.

Strength and mobility will come back someday!
Attaboy! Well done!

(Can we have couple more photos... you know, to get a better understanding where you are now... :p )

Just benched 225 for the first time.

ibfoqBT169nmnW.gif
Absolutely brilliant! Well done!
obamaapplauds.gif

What's the best exercise for making your butt smaller?
You just need to...

Wait. WHAT!
SafeSevereAustralianfreshwatercrocodile.gif

You don't want smaller butt. Nobody wants smaller butt...

Squats and deadlifts and a perfect diet, but like Vince said it's a big small. Skinny-XL. Dense like depleted uranium. BOOM.

Your will know you are closing in on the goal when you achieve lower back dimples.
Ooh, ooh! I can nowadays see mine (they aren't deep. but definitely there)! So they are a good sign?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Large butt is a bonus, unless you work in a prison.

Shit gets awkward, a lot. And it's not just limited to female inmates, it encompasses both male and female inmates and staff. Lol.

Channeled my inner Brolic tonight.

308/319/330/330/308 x4-5

Been doing lots of band work on my shoulders, spent a good 30 mins with bands after bench and LTEs. Kelly Starrett and Bryce Lewis have some good videos on band stretches.

Strength and mobility will come back someday!

Nice bud.

Band work has saved my shoulders. Cannot advocate it enough.

Hay FitGAF how ya been? :3

I was wondering if I could ask another question! Can someone explain to me exactly what Fartlek training is, and whether or not your prefer it to regular interval training?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hay FitGAF how ya been? :3

I was wondering if I could ask another question! Can someone explain to me exactly what Fartlek training is, and whether or not your prefer it to regular interval training?

It is interval training. The only difference is you don't stop and nothing is "set."

In the army we would do this by going on a run at a set pace in formation then when the PT leader (me) yelled "up" the guy at th back of formation sprinted to the front.

You can do this by going on a run at a set slower pace and sprinting every other telephone pole to the next, or mail box, or intersection. Etc.

Imm0rt4l

Anyone who has lost gains through debilitating injury have any tips/protocol for rehab? Trying to reclaim my gains and I'd like to compete. Thinking about running a proper program rather than autoregulating all my lifts.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone who has lost gains through debilitating injury have any tips/protocol for rehab? Trying to reclaim my gains and I'd like to compete. Thinking about running a proper program rather than autoregulating all my lifts.

Whenever I get snapped up I drop the effected lift and work back up. Unfortunately there's gonna be a lot of auto regulation with coming back from injury.

That said, I continue on the same program I was on before to "come back." I just significantly take a step back.

Anyone rock climb? I tried it recently and wanted to do exercise to strength my ability to rock climb.

I only do it occasionally myself, but I was just discussing this with a hardcore climbing friend the other day, so I can pass on his advice.

A big part of what he told me was to put a big focus on handling tension and flexibility combined with strength. I do tons of pullups, but he recommended that I do more hangs. You can have all the strength that you want, but especially as a newb you'll usually tap out due to stress on your tendons / joints as opposed to lacking strength. That burn in the forearms post climb can be so nasty when you are not prepped for that.

Then the flexibility part is so that you can maneuver on the wall to get the right leverage to make all your moves easier. You can sometimes brute force it, but the best climbers use their flexibility to make is so that they don't need a ton of low / upper body strength to get up.

It is interval training. The only difference is you don't stop and nothing is "set."

In the army we would do this by going on a run at a set pace in formation then when the PT leader (me) yelled "up" the guy at th back of formation sprinted to the front.

You can do this by going on a run at a set slower pace and sprinting every other telephone pole to the next, or mail box, or intersection. Etc.

Oh okay makes sense. I guess it involves a lot of spontaneous creativity :p. The closest I've come is running through a park, finding a jungle gym and doing chin-ups and push-ups on it.

It really just comes down to time buddy. I gained fat and lost a lot of mass when I had my clot. 6 months out of the gym, followed by 3 months of only light weightlifting. It was a while before I got back into my old routine.

Basically, you can do what you normally do, but as Shogun said just tone it way down and slowly work your way back. It's time that's gonna keep you level more than anything else. Even if you were to want to bounce back fast, your body won't let you.

I don't have any tricks of the trade or anything. First couple of months I do full body splits, then I jump back into my old routine and just reassess my goals to progress. Before I know it I'm setting personal records again.

Matugi

I had to get a cyst excised about four years ago and it took an entire year for the nerves to grow back and my tail bone to fully heal. During that time I was strictly limited to upper body workouts. It sucked. Once I finally was able to do squats again I started light (about 95 pounds) and just worked on range of motion until I was comfortable and had no fear of tear of my scar tissue. During this time I also developed ITBS because I wasn't able to really do any lower body workouts, so building my squat back up took quite awhile since I also had to add a lot of ROM work and especially work on my hip mobility, which still has never fully healed from ITBS but it's about as good as it's going to get. From the point I started lifting again to when I got back to my previous max (which was around 195lbs at the time), it took about four months. I've been fine ever since and hit 225lbs just a month or so later.

I'd definitely recommend running a program once you're completely healed, especially if you want to compete. I was thinking about doing 5/3/1 next but I'm thinking I'm gonna do Bill Star's 5x5 instead. For the time being I'd say you should take it easy and work to get your full strength back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. I failed on 215 lbs. squats today. Managed to struggle through my first three sets, but I could only do one rep on the fourth and two on the fifth. Just didn't have the strength.

Going to try it again next time as per the Stronglifts routine, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to deload some.

Thanks for posting this image! I did bench again today throwing my feet back and to the sides really helped with form. Definitely felt easier than what I was doing before.

Koriandrr

I was very interested in the product but after doing the math it wouldn't save me much money, only the ~6 hours in shopping, cooking and assembly time. So I have decided to pass on it for now.

However, I grind up the bulk of my food in a processor and mix it all together in a big wad of slop and I weigh out the portions for each meal. So it is basically "the same" in the sense that for the bulk of my nutritional needs, I am ingesting pre-masticated/weighed/quantified servings. Everything except for dairy goes in one big bowl and is hand mixed to absolute consistency.

When I am asked "What the fuck is that, it looks like a pile of bear shit? How does it taste?" I usually respond by saying "highly palatable" which that tends to elicit an even more pronounced negative response. But that's their problem, not mine.

I say you should do the math and if it makes sense, go for it. The liquid diet will produce solid stools, it's not like you're going to be a bloated bag of gas anymore so than you are now. I think it is a wonderful idea and I hope Soylent does well as a product.

For me, it is much less stressful having everything prepared and figured out ahead of time. I never have to think "what do I want to eat today" or where I am going to get it and how much I am going to pay for it, and obviously/most importantly to a lifestyle oriented around training - how is it going to fit my macros in the context of all the other random arbitrary decisions I have made today?

You could do everything the same and skip not mixing it together, but I just find it more simple this way. Plus I don't even have to chew, just flip a mouthful, swash it around with some water and swallow. Maximum efficiency. Soylent is appealing to me in every way. At the end of the day we are all huge babies, so we just need huge-baby food!

Thanks! I might give it a test after all, because from my math it's about 10x cheaper than the usual amount I spend on food. But I barely have the time to cook, am terrible at cooking, live in London (which is expensive as fuck) and when I think 'what should I eat' I end up having things that are bad for me. I think it would be nice not to think about food and just have the soylent next to me, I can see it working out. I'm just worried that there isn't enough 'progress' and 'proof' online to convince me.

SeanR1221

Whenever I get snapped up I drop the effected lift and work back up. Unfortunately there's gonna be a lot of auto regulation with coming back from injury.

That said, I continue on the same program I was on before to "come back." I just significantly take a step back.

Yeah this is what I'll have to do. I'll be going back to iron sport but keeping the 1rm low and slowly working back up.

2 more weeks until I can properly lift again :/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I hadn't weighed myself in a couple weeks until today. It's always the same time under the same conditions so I know it's comparable. A whopping 185.5 came up 3 times in a row. It really took me by surprise considering I've been telling people I'm 190 because that's what I was last time I weighed in. Definitely feel leaner but I didn't think I was 4.5lbs leaner. Go figure. I feel like a huge 185. It's looking like any gains I had during my 7 week bulk were minimal if any at all. Good news is now I only have to get 555lbs to get my 3xbw DL so I can die a satisfied man!

Leeness

Awwww, thanks honey! I will try to do my best. You have yourself been doing extremely well as well! Very proud of you kitty!

And if you do that hot cardio thing of yours make sure to drink loads of water! I sure as hell know I couldn't do that...

Proud of you too! :)

I do it because I must! Lol, my apartment is hot as fuck (like wearing nothing to bed and still sweating) so working out in it is "hot" cardio. I drink lots of water though :D

40 done for the day! Strength tomorrow and Sunday!

Zero2kz

Also, since I am new to Fitness-Gaf (and GAF in general), thought I would throw up some progress pics of 1 year difference.

January 2013, 335 lb: http://i.imgur.com/d5Wwp1E.png
January 2014, 195 lb: http://imgur.com/rpQGmHk

I do not have any pictures of me currently at 205. I didn't take many progress pics, and after 195 I just kind of stopped. Maybe I will take one in January of 2015.

Decided to take some post bulk pictures.

Here I am today at 218 lb, I am really poofy from ridiculous cheat meals/days recently:

Front:
4VFLaIg.png

Back:
TcSlyyT.png

I am trying to focus a lot on my back/lats and legs. My lats are pretty lacking currently.

Still unable to work heavy chest/shoulders because of shoulder injury. Depressing :(

moocow

I hadn't weighed myself in a couple weeks until today. It's always the same time under the same conditions so I know it's comparable. A whopping 185.5 came up 3 times in a row. It really took me by surprise considering I've been telling people I'm 190 because that's what I was last time I weighed in. Definitely feel leaner but I didn't think I was 4.5lbs leaner. Go figure. I feel like a huge 185. It's looking like any gains I had during my 7 week bulk were minimal if any at all. Good news is now I only have to get 555lbs to get my 3xbw DL so I can die a satisfied man!

Do you feel then that the bulk was a waste of time?

Also, I am extremely jealous of Sadetar's calves. Mine will always look like sticks.

Looking good like always. Attaboy. :D

Oh yes! Great work both of you! ^_^

Took couple photos yesterday at gym. Here are the total comparisons between late January 2014 and early July 2014. (Inform me if the links are broken, please.)

Still a long way to go, but at least I feel I am on the right path.
10526113_10203621377588791_7794830011148616547_n.jpg

10448832_10203621376108754_4849983297495032600_n.jpg

10357129_10203621416909774_1824320918922599150_n.jpg

Hey great job!, keep it up

Fail in squats and fail in deadlifts. I cannot pass 160 lbs in squats and it's frustrating me, I still bend the back forward when it gets heavy and lose balance. At least deadlifts have been progressing steadily until today, but I feel squats are setting me back a lot because it takes 45+ minutes to finish the warmups and work sets. Didn't even have time for bench press, maybe I'll do those tomorrow.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do you feel then that the bulk was a waste of time?

Also, I am extremely jealous of Sadetar's calves. Mine will always look like sticks.
Yes and no. How's that? Ha. I enjoyed the extended amount of time not worrying about calories. No doubt about it. After 6 weeks that feeling transitioned into one more of self disgust. I didn't enjoy purposely damaging my health for a few pounds of muscle. Of course I could have chosen a clean bulk but it didn't appeal to me. I had some catching up to do and many of my favorite foods were missing me greatly! I also started getting injuries that prohibited me from really pushing myself. Because of this, my lifts barely increased and some didn't at all. It was frustrating

All in all I think my lower body is a little bigger and a little stronger. Yeah, it was worth it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fail in squats and fail in deadlifts. I cannot pass 160 lbs in squats and it's frustrating me, I still bend the back forward when it gets heavy and lose balance. At least deadlifts have been progressing steadily until today, but I feel squats are setting me back a lot because it takes 45+ minutes to finish the warmups and work sets. Didn't even have time for bench press, maybe I'll do those tomorrow.

45 minutes sounds like a lot. What kind of routine are you doing?

I can relate, though. I started lifting just about one year ago. I started squats around 80 lbs. if I remember right. I first plateau'd with terrible form around 135 lbs. Had to deload and focus on form. The next time I stalled around 160. Same story, deload and focus on form. Next time was around 180, then 200. At this point I decided to start doing Stronglifts 5x5, which is a lot more volume than the 3x5 routine I was doing, so I dropped the weight down to 135 and worked my up to 215 lbs. today where I failed for the first time. Not sure I'm stalling yet, as the Stronglifts program call for doing the same weight three sessions in a row before deloading if any reps are failed.

Either way, deloading after a plateau and working my way back up while focusing on form seems to work pretty well for me. Each time I'm able to make some progress and also improve my form. The lack of progress can be frustrating in the moment, but I just have to tell my stuff that this stuff is going to take time.

I can relate, though. I started lifting just about one year ago. I started squats around 80 lbs. if I remember right. I first plateau'd with terrible form around 135 lbs. Had to deload and focus on form. The next time I stalled around 160. Same story, deload and focus on form. Next time was around 180, then 200. At this point I decided to start doing Stronglifts 5x5, which is a lot more volume than the 3x5 routine I was doing, so I dropped the weight down to 135 and worked my up to 215 lbs. today where I failed for the first time. Not sure I'm stalling yet, as the Stronglifts program call for doing the same weight three sessions in a row before deloading if any reps are failed.

Either way, deloading after a plateau and working my way back up while focusing on form seems to work pretty well for me. Each time I'm able to make some progress and also improve my form. The lack of progress can be frustrating in the moment, but I just have to tell my stuff that this stuff is going to take time.

Record your form. Let's see what's wrong.

Are you using chalk or gloves to supplement?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Record your form. Let's see what's wrong.

Are you using chalk or gloves to supplement?

Oh, I was just posting about my experience over the past year deloading and working my way past previous plateaus while improving form.

I'm fairly comfortable with my squat form now, although I have a few issues that need addressing and there's always room for improvement. I did post a form check video a few days ago here, though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119947909&postcount=2820

I'm doing starting strength, but today I rushed the warmup sets a bit and performed worse than last workout. I do about 4 warmup sets and the last one has to be very close to the working set or the jump in weight becomes too overwhelming. I don't know what to do.

Here is the video of the second failing work set:

http://youtu.be/Irp2tNClTSQ

Then I deloaded and did 2 more sets at 135 and 145 lbs respectively. Can anyone spot form fuckups in these?

http://youtu.be/_8CoBk1BzrU

http://youtu.be/RAD07OCrnok

J. Bravo

i'm lifting on a saturday for the first time in forever. i am home on friday not completely fucked. hurray for self control. i might squat and bench. thinking about starting smolov for bench because i want a bigger chest and everyone love asking what i bench. but the girl im crushing on has a thing for guys with a big butt and legs so maybe i'll do smolov for squats lol.

Sadetar

Might as well ask y'all here as well - estimated BF%? I think I'm hovering around 14-15% but want to confirm:
I know nothing about BF%, but what I do know is that you have absolutely gorgeous back and equally good looking front. :p

Large butt is a bonus, unless you work in a prison.

Shit gets awkward, a lot. And it's not just limited to female inmates, it encompasses both male and female inmates and staff. Lol.
Hahahah, never thought of it that way before... :p

Awww, that is a pleasure to hear. Thank you!

I need to admit that I use to hate my calves at one point but now I have grown to like them. Even though during my weight loss they have gotten smaller. I don't know has it been fat or muscle or a mix of both but the circumference has gone down from 50 cm / 19,7 in to 44 cm / 17,3 in. Now I would say they are more or less full muscle. Finding boots is still a pain in the ass though.

Hey great job!, keep it up
Awww, thanks honey! I will. :D The whole idea that I would stop working out sound extremely absurd to me.

Proud of you too! :)

I do it because I must! Lol, my apartment is hot as fuck (like wearing nothing to bed and still sweating) so working out in it is "hot" cardio. I drink lots of water though :D

40 done for the day! Strength tomorrow and Sunday!
Hahah, yeah I realized that you have really no other option. Also remember to keep your rest days and don't do strenght training two days in a row for same muscle groups! :D

Cudder

I'm doing starting strength, but today I rushed the warmup sets a bit and performed worse than last workout. I do about 4 warmup sets and the last one has to be very close to the working set or the jump in weight becomes too overwhelming. I don't know what to do.

Then I deloaded and did 2 more sets at 135 and 145 lbs respectively. Can anyone spot form fuckups in these?

It looks to me like you're leaning slightly too far forward when you squat, I can see you struggle trying to get the weight up. also what's up with the fidgety motions before your sets?

Imm0rt4l

I had to get a cyst excised about four years ago and it took an entire year for the nerves to grow back and my tail bone to fully heal. During that time I was strictly limited to upper body workouts. It sucked. Once I finally was able to do squats again I started light (about 95 pounds) and just worked on range of motion until I was comfortable and had no fear of tear of my scar tissue. During this time I also developed ITBS because I wasn't able to really do any lower body workouts, so building my squat back up took quite awhile since I also had to add a lot of ROM work and especially work on my hip mobility, which still has never fully healed from ITBS but it's about as good as it's going to get. From the point I started lifting again to when I got back to my previous max (which was around 195lbs at the time), it took about four months. I've been fine ever since and hit 225lbs just a month or so later.

I'd definitely recommend running a program once you're completely healed, especially if you want to compete. I was thinking about doing 5/3/1 next but I'm thinking I'm gonna do Bill Star's 5x5 instead. For the time being I'd say you should take it easy and work to get your full strength back.
Thanks for the tips

Cudder

I knew for a while that Omar Isuf was from Toronto, but I just recently watched the tour of his gym, Fortis Fitness and holy shit it looks amazing. It's even literally right next door to this audio hardware place that I always go to, had no idea it was even there.

Check it out.

It's too far for me to go there right now but if I ever find myself living in the heart of Toronto, definitely the gym I'll be going to.

Pete Rock

Then I deloaded and did 2 more sets at 135 and 145 lbs respectively.

BUTT-WINK alarm dude bro. It's a little hard to see (black on black + black pad thing in the way) but I am certain that is what is going on at 41 seconds when you fail. It was exhibited on the first rep but not nearly as bad.

When you rotate your pelvis and roll your lower back down that way, the whole motion becomes compromised and the ability to generate force goes out the window.

You need to eliminate that, probably through improved hamstring flexibility first and foremost. Maybe a wider stance, hard to tell from that angle. I also found it a helpful mental cue to break at the hips first and the knees second.

Your fidgety movements all seem to be related to "easing" into the movement starting with your knees, and each rep seems to originate from there as well.

There are a ton of videos on this look around, but I would suggest deloading and focusing on flexibility and better form over the entire range of motion when you are at the lower weights.

The gym I've been going to for ever closed down and "relocated" on thursday. The new place has all brand new equipment (and uniform barbells!), but all the plates are octagons rather than round. It's going to take some getting used to deadlifting with them. My normal setup involves stepping under the bar then adjusting the position by rolling the bar forward/backward. Obviously that doesn't work too well with and 8 sided plate.

Chocobro

BUTT-WINK alarm dude bro. It's a little hard to see (black on black + black pad thing in the way) but I am certain that is what is going on at 41 seconds when you fail. It was exhibited on the first rep but not nearly as bad.

When you rotate your pelvis and roll your lower back down that way, the whole motion becomes compromised and the ability to generate force goes out the window.

You need to eliminate that, probably through improved hamstring flexibility first and foremost. Maybe a wider stance, hard to tell from that angle. I also found it a helpful mental cue to break at the hips first and the knees second.

Your fidgety movements all seem to be related to "easing" into the movement starting with your knees, and each rep seems to originate from there as well.

There are a ton of videos on this look around, but I would suggest deloading and focusing on flexibility and better form over the entire range of motion when you are at the lower weights.

However Bret Contreras also said that stretching tight hamstrings (and hip flexors) won't change it that much. I would say God Dayumm's primary concern is to improve ankle dorsiflexion and stretching his hamstrings and other muscles as a secondary measure. You can see how his ankle stops and his knee can't go any further and right after that is when he has posterior pelvic tilt as he goes deeper to reach depth. I think I wanted to say where his ankles end up prevents him from reaching depth without posterior pelvic tilt.

EDIT: Or buy weighlifting shoes :p
I think with increased ankle dorsiflexion, he'll be able to decrease the amount of posterior pelvic tilt and have the weight closer to his heels instead of near the balls of his feet.

yogloo

WTF youtube is going overboard these days. Your video is muted because there's a copyright thing going on.

sphinx

the piano man
So people, do you guys pay attention to how you split the macro intake through the day? I am not sure where to allocate the major part of carbs and fat, I am getting those on lunch bit I wonder if it would be better post workout at night or during breakfast on my first meal.

if I workout between 7:00 and 10:00 PM and I'll have dinner thereafter, then what should be taking for dinner? ONLY protein? or is it advisable to mix and go high-carb here?

no cutting/bulking here, just "eating well" in the hopes of getting muscle gains with as little fat as possible and avoid that fucking bloat that seems to appear just about with any fucking thing, gaaaah.

Was at EVO yesterday forgot to post flex friday pics on gaf

IG pics from this week

´mirin. great back

WTF youtube is going overboard these days. Your video is muted because there's a copyright thing going on.

in Germany is downright banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom