• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

These 11 hour days at my new job.for 2 weeks now has really killed my calorie intake :( feel like I'm wasting away.

Doesn't help my left arm is strained and has pain that comes and goes somewhere near my bicep/triceps which I can't pint point.

Missed my deadlift gym day two days in a row now. Fuck it.

Pete Rock

I have a question for you guys - have any of you tried Soylent at all?
I was very interested in the product but after doing the math it wouldn't save me much money, only the ~6 hours in shopping, cooking and assembly time. So I have decided to pass on it for now.

However, I grind up the bulk of my food in a processor and mix it all together in a big wad of slop and I weigh out the portions for each meal. So it is basically "the same" in the sense that for the bulk of my nutritional needs, I am ingesting pre-masticated/weighed/quantified servings. Everything except for dairy goes in one big bowl and is hand mixed to absolute consistency.

When I am asked "What the fuck is that, it looks like a pile of bear shit? How does it taste?" I usually respond by saying "highly palatable" which that tends to elicit an even more pronounced negative response. But that's their problem, not mine.

I say you should do the math and if it makes sense, go for it. The liquid diet will produce solid stools, it's not like you're going to be a bloated bag of gas anymore so than you are now. I think it is a wonderful idea and I hope Soylent does well as a product.

For me, it is much less stressful having everything prepared and figured out ahead of time. I never have to think "what do I want to eat today" or where I am going to get it and how much I am going to pay for it, and obviously/most importantly to a lifestyle oriented around training - how is it going to fit my macros in the context of all the other random arbitrary decisions I have made today?

You could do everything the same and skip not mixing it together, but I just find it more simple this way. Plus I don't even have to chew, just flip a mouthful, swash it around with some water and swallow. Maximum efficiency. Soylent is appealing to me in every way. At the end of the day we are all huge babies, so we just need huge-baby food!

Matugi

Thanks guys. I think I'll just play it safe and skip Saturday too, and try again on Tuesday.

I wish I knew what the hell I did though.

On its own, dizziness is often related to low blood pressure, and is often manifested from orthostatic hypotension, which is a drop in blood pressure because of positioning. In the real world it's caused by sitting in the same position for a while then quickly standing up, but in exercise it can be caused from exertion pooling blood to the muscles/extremities, then a quick relaxation or de-tensing. It's not really something to worry about while training unless it's persistent or doesn't dissipate.

That would be on its own. But since this dizziness is coming from your cervical spine, and that it occurred while you were doing power cleans, it's very possible you pinched a nerve, or potentially even herniated a disc. If it doesn't subside after a week or so I'd see an orthopod. Herniated discs are nothing to fuck with and in extreme cases can require vertebral fusion.

Well this is strange. I've been trying intermittent fasting for a week and I can actually see myself getting fatter (I've lost all the definition on my abs). Is there normally some sort of adjustment period because I'm loathe to continue it as it stands.

Bleh.

Well this is strange. I've been trying intermittent fasting for a week and I can actually see myself getting fatter (I've lost all the definition on my abs). Is there normally some sort of adjustment period because I'm loathe to continue it as it stands.

Bleh.

Well how are you eating? Fasting won't negate a poor diet.

Pete Rock

Weren't you working on building muscle?
I seem to recall something along the lines of +/- 2 lbs being irrelevant, as that is the size of an average elimination. Hit the can and you'll be golden, Ashodin! lol

I've been trying intermittent fasting for a week and I can actually see myself getting fatter (I've lost all the definition on my abs).
A week isn't very much time to make assessments one way or another. I didn't see any massive changes until about six months.

Extremely clean, and counting every calorie. Exactly the same diet I was using to cut with. Generally about a 500 - 800 kcal a day deficit.

A week isn't very much time to make assessments one way or another. I didn't see any massive changes until about six months.

Sure, but if this continues this way for a month then I'm going to end up as a lardarse.

sphinx

the piano man
I was almost 10 days in Madrid for work, work out was crappy and I had to take off many days there and came back sick on monday but today I came back to it, my music, my clothes, me.

Madrid celebrated their "gaypride" week and the amount of muscled bodies was overwhelming, I felt like the ugliest guy around but it was very motivating at the same time.

I've been reflecting upon many things these days regarding how I want to get back to it and what I want, I hope I can share some nice progress pics in the next weeks. Congrats to everybody's progress here and in Cooter's thread, which I hope I'll be able to use in August.

Sadetar, I looove your hair and girl, I wished I had your legs, I only got a bit of butt going on my lower body, haha. ^_^

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was almost 10 days in Madrid for work, work out was crappy and I had to take off many days there and came back sick on monday but today I came back to it, my music, my clothes, me.

Madrid celebrated their "gaypride" week and the amount of muscled bodies was overwhelming, I felt like the ugliest guy around but it was very motivating at the same time.

I've been reflecting upon many things these days regarding how I want to get back to it and what I want, I hope I can share some nice progress pics in the next weeks. Congrats to everybody's progress here and in Cooter's thread, which I hope I'll be able to use in August.

Sadetar, I looove your hair and girl, I wished I had your legs, I only got a bit of butt going on my lower body, haha. ^_^

I was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Looking forward to seeing progress updates!

I know people always preach never to weigh yourself constantly and I 100% agree, but I for some reason like weighing myself daily after getting substantial water retention from a cheat meal. I'm always curious how much I gained in water and how much I lose over the next few days.

I swear I have it all down to a science now.

Also I gotta say. That almond milk thread made me realize how much I value macro values over taste. Don't get me wrong, taste is VERY important, but if something tastes decent enough but has macros better fit for my diet, I will switch and never look back.

Zero2kz

I know people always preach never to weigh yourself constantly and I 100% agree, but I for some reason like weighing myself daily after getting substantial water retention from a cheat meal. I'm always curious how much I gained in water and how much I lose over the next few days.

I enjoy doing that to. Big cheat meal/day, and the next morning I am plus 9 pounds. But then watching 1-2 pounds fall off every day after that is kind of fun.

Also I gotta say. That almond milk thread made me realize how much I value macro values over taste. Don't get me wrong, taste is VERY important, but if something tastes decent enough but has macros better fit for my diet, I will switch and never look back.

I like the taste better than regular milk. Or maybe I have just had it for so long it is now the norm for me. Now if only they made low sugar strawberry almond milk...mmmmmm.

Sadetar

Large frame mofo checking in!
I am with you there. :p

Can I just now always say that I am not fat but "big boned"? ;)

6,1 inch wrists so small frame here :S
I now have a valid reason to say that mine is bigger than yours.

Sorry, I just needed to go there. :p

so accoriding to the wrist and elbow test i'm medium. what does that mean? D:

@sadetar
really great progress :O
I don't know does the wrist thing really indicate anything else than that you most likely have an average size wrist. :p (Lucky you)

And thanks honey bunny! I am myself as amazed as other people are in here. I didn't even realize that the differences are that big before doing the comparison pics. :D

Awesome job!!
Thank you! Feels good to know that I am doing something right! ^_^

Hey there! I have also been thinking that where have you been. Good to notice that you are back. :)

Oh, you flatter me! ^_^ Thank you! I feel very good about all of this and can't wait to gain more.

Hahah, and come on - a nice butt is always a nice butt. I definitely need to work with mine. :D When you post progress pics make sure to get the back view as well... We are waiting.

We all start somewhere, right.
Indeed. Better late than never. :p

Back when I wrestled I knew exactly how much water I could wring out of my body per hour, pretty much down to the ounce. I think it would surprise anyone who didn't ever have to cut weight how much you can sweat out in a day given the right motivation.

Ashodin

That feel when you are a fucking scientist about your body

Smeghead

Been doing All Pro beginner route for a few months now and i'm thinking about switching to Starting Strength instead. Getting a bit frustrated with the high rep range and slow progress.

Anyone on/been on starting strength? I have been making slight gains with All Pro, not sure whether to stick with it or to change. Anyone offer any advice?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Been doing All Pro beginner route for a few months now and i'm thinking about switching to Starting Strength instead. Getting a bit frustrated with the high rep range and slow progress.

Anyone on/been on starting strength? I have been making slight gains with All Pro, not sure whether to stick with it or to change. Anyone offer any advice?

Advice would be to take a look at the OP, read through this thread, and buy the Starting Strength book. Watch some videos online about form and such, too, because that's obviously extremely important.

I imagine you'll find much more success, or at least strength progress doing Starting Strength than that program outline in the thread you linked.

The best possible thing you can probably do for yourself starting out is to just get started and record yourself doing the exercises, then post them here (or anywhere else you trust) and get form feedback.

Can anyone tell me the best way to calculate BF%? I really want to take off this last 10 lbs before the summer is over, and I'm trying to come up with a new diet, as I think my weight loss has been plateauing over the last month. I'm trying to use those calculators in the OP, which I know don't require the number, but I'd like to know it.

Starting Strength is great, make sure you start out light so you can focus on correct form. I would suggest that if you can't complete all 5 reps of all 3 sets without slowing down, you've started too heavy.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Can anyone tell me the best way to calculate BF%? I really want to take off this last 10 lbs before the summer is over, and I'm trying to come up with a new diet, as I think my weight loss has been plateauing over the last month. I'm trying to use those calculators in the OP, which I know don't require the number, but I'd like to know it.
Water submersion. The second best way is to post a few pics on FitGaf. We'll get pretty close.

Just to clarify, you can't calculate bf% without having a measurement tool. As Coots mentioned, water submission is the most accurate method, but it is expensive and I don't think people commonly use it. If you post a shirtless pic here we can eyeball it for you and give our estimates. Alternatively, you can be measured with skin-fold calipers which can give you a rough estimate or use bioelectrical impedance measurements; my local grocery store has a blood pressure measuring machine near their pharmacy that can also measure body fat via this method. It isn't perfect, but gives a rough approximation. If you can measure using a few methods you can then get a clearer picture where you stand.

Leeness

Oh silly, I may have a bit more muscle mass at the moment than you do but I definitely also have way more extra fat and weight as well. I saw your latest photo on progress thread - you look great!

Naw. Haha. But whatever, you've done so well! Keep going! <3

Omg people commented at work today and I was like ;_____; plz

40 minutes done in my sweat box. It's like a whole new work out. Hot Cardio, like hot yoga, but no air, no breathing, and sweating until you have nothing left!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Yeah, I should be able to hit. 410-415 next week. Pretty happy about it.

Channeled my inner Brolic tonight.

308/319/330/330/308 x4-5

Been doing lots of band work on my shoulders, spent a good 30 mins with bands after bench and LTEs. Kelly Starrett and Bryce Lewis have some good videos on band stretches.

Strength and mobility will come back someday!

ILoveBish

Inner brolic squad out to win tonight, indeed. Got 195lbs on overhead press. New record, and I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks on this cut. I'll be honest, half way up I didn't think I had it in me, but brolic thoughts told me I did.

I'm going to take at least one night off before deadlifts. Super happy that this 1s week is off to a good start.

Matugi

To Cooter and FE, y'all are my heroes for making me privy to weighted brdiges and glute ham raises, especially on DL days. I started doing them about a month ago and for the first time in weeks, deadlifts came easy to me (kinda an unorthodox 5/5/5/7 at 275 lbs). No sciatica or anything.

_DrMario_

Just benched 225 for the first time.

ibfoqBT169nmnW.gif

entremet

Starting Strength is a great foundation, but I find lacking in arm work. I'd do SS until you can a 225 BP, 315 Squat, and 405 DL for reps, then move on to a program with more arm work, or just add arm work after SS proper.

Matugi

What a great progress video: Road to 600 Squat
Pretty nuts.

Real difference comes at around the 1:00 mark. The other lifts were obviously impressive but between smolov #2 and Sheiko #1 he puts on a lot of mass and his form is much more solid, more directly up as opposed to squatmorning it.

It's really impressive how much bigger he is at the end. Looks like a completely different person

despire

What's the best exercise for making your butt smaller?

This is a good one and very simple:

1) Sit at table
2) Be offered food
3) Shake your head vigorously from left to right
4) Extend both arms
5) Push yourself away from the table
6) Walk away

That counts as one rep. For optimal results perform one repetition multiple times a week.

Pete Rock

What's the best exercise for making your butt smaller?
Squats and deadlifts and a perfect diet, but like Vince said it's a big small. Skinny-XL. Dense like depleted uranium. BOOM.

Your will know you are closing in on the goal when you achieve lower back dimples.

yogloo

This is a good one and very simple:

1) Sit at table
2) Be offered food
3) Shake your head vigorously from left to right
4) Extend both arms
5) Push yourself away from the table
6) Walk away

That counts as one rep. For optimal results perform one repetition multiple times a week.

I'm not allowed to sit and watch others eat? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom