• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
I've never seen someone put their hands through the plates while doing squats, this seems really dangerous to me.

what-all-squaters-need-to-know-article-4.jpg

Okay, I need help, FitnessGAF!

My wife and I recently decided to not take half-measures anymore and really lose weight, diet and exercise. We've both rollercoastered in the past but this time it's really obvious it's a life style change for us rather than a weight loss cycle. On June 18th, this year I sucked it up and purchased a HRM (Polar FT7) and it's been a fantastic motivator to both me and my wife and has really sunk into my videogamer side of things. Since then my results are (in summary) as follows:

Training sessions (#) 28
Duration (hh:mm) 19:02 (hh:mm)
Calories (kcal) 19548 (kcal)

I weigh 346 pounds. I'm fat, I'm obese as fuck but I'm doing it. This is my progress. I've never been one to be excited about the next day's work out but the last week... the change has happened. I'm eager to "get it out of the way" each day, as in I enjoy it but am glad when it's over. (It hurts, I'm fat.) I'm at the point where when I started our work outs were about 30 - 40 minutes of walking through various parts of our city including steep hills etc. My heart rate would hit 150 walking up hills and my baseline would be 115 on flat surfaces.

I bought some proper running shoes and am now regularily having my workouts be about a 70 minutes a day if my body is feeling up to it pain-wise. And I've even been jogging/running 100 meters 3 or 4 times during our "walks". It's building up quickly and it feels great. My heart rate now struggles to get over 105 on flat surfaces and even up the same hill sometimes can only hit 140 (if I push it).

So, I've got the cardio-side of things nailed. I'm doing it almost daily.

I've only lost 6 pounds in that time and normally a "low" number would de-rail me, but thankfully I read up on why it's slow at the moment and I'm okay with my body building itself up.

My problem is that now that my wife and I are clearly set on our cardio being a routine and lifestyle and having the calorie defeceit diet nailed at the moment - we're ready to add strength training in. I've done a bunch of research but I'm really struggling to find an approriate routine for someone my size. Almost everyone I come across has things like push-ups or pull-ups and I very evidently can't do those things... yet.

So I need your help. I do not have access to a gym, I live in a small ass city. So I'm going the home route and am planning on buying kettle bells and free weights to start the process. I'm not looking to bulk up and be a swole bro but I want to really start weight training alongside everything else so I can be a whole, well-rounded "fit" person.

I need links or routines and suggestions from you guys for weight lifting for super-fat people like me because I'm honestly struggling to find an answer myself.

PS: I used to weigh 394 - I managed to get down to 335 last year through diet alone but gained fifteen back over the course of the past eight months but never have I been so focused and determined with exercise in my life.

lol at the 2 hour gym people. My standard response is quality over quantity. It usually elicits the standard, well you've got good genetics so you can get away with it.

45 Minutes to an hour and I'm DONE!
90 Second rest periods between set then I reduce to 60 seconds for the latter half of my workouts.

I also write down my exercises/routine before I start working out so I have a clear and concise plan to execute. That helps me stay focus and reduces the time spent in the gym. EVERYONE should try it.

CrankyJay

Banned
45 Min to an hour and I'm DONE!
90 Second rest period between set then I reduce to 60 seconds for the latter half of my workouts.

I also write down my exercises/routine before I start working out so I have a clear and concise plan to execute. That helps me stay focus and reduces the time spent in the gym. EVERYONE should try it.

What do you do when someone is on a rack or has the weights you need? Move on to the next exercise and then circle back?

y2dvd

Drank heavily Friday night, worked out Saturday morning, felt like shit the rest of the day and all of Sunday and slept all day. I don't think it was a good idea to work out hungover lol. @_@

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
45 Minutes to an hour and I'm DONE!
90 Second rest periods between set then I reduce to 60 seconds for the latter half of my workouts.

I take 5+mins of rest on working sets for squats/pulls. If I'm doing high volume like 5x10 I'll have the squat rack for 45mins with warm ups.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even measure my rest time between sets. I do it when I do it. I'd rather take too long resting instead of fail a rep by rushing it, but I also may have different goals than some people where rest time is a factor.

Shit, 45 minutes on a squat cage?

I take like 3 minutes between sets. If that, and I usually suffer the next day or two for it.

No wonder I'm fucking beat up after resuming weight training this weekend (which is why I'm posting in FitGAF, hello!). I gotta give my body more recovery.

I also may have different goals than some people where rest time is a factor.

Goals and Methods; The reason I don't compare my workouts with others.

Don't get discourage if you see people lifting heavier than you, because everyone's goals and methods are different.

I don't go SUPER heavy on the squats; I do full squats and do negatives.
I don't bench SUPER heavy; I do 28's ( 7 - Fast, Slow, Low, High).
...etc.

There are many variables to account for when doings exercises so don't compare yourself to the next man.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic and other powerlifters, what do you think of Bill Star's 5x5?

No clue what it is. It being a 5x5 program I'd imagine it's pretty run of the mill.

I'm to the point now I don't need a program necessarily. I do my own thing based on what I know from multiple programs.

burnfout

Okay, I need help, FitnessGAF!

My wife and I recently decided to not take half-measures anymore and really lose weight, diet and exercise. We've both rollercoastered in the past but this time it's really obvious it's a life style change for us rather than a weight loss cycle. On June 18th, this year I sucked it up and purchased a HRM (Polar FT7) and it's been a fantastic motivator to both me and my wife and has really sunk into my videogamer side of things. Since then my results are (in summary) as follows:

Training sessions (#) 28
Duration (hh:mm) 19:02 (hh:mm)
Calories (kcal) 19548 (kcal)

I weigh 346 pounds. I'm fat, I'm obese as fuck but I'm doing it. This is my progress. I've never been one to be excited about the next day's work out but the last week... the change has happened. I'm eager to "get it out of the way" each day, as in I enjoy it but am glad when it's over. (It hurts, I'm fat.) I'm at the point where when I started our work outs were about 30 - 40 minutes of walking through various parts of our city including steep hills etc. My heart rate would hit 150 walking up hills and my baseline would be 115 on flat surfaces.

I bought some proper running shoes and am now regularily having my workouts be about a 70 minutes a day if my body is feeling up to it pain-wise. And I've even been jogging/running 100 meters 3 or 4 times during our "walks". It's building up quickly and it feels great. My heart rate now struggles to get over 105 on flat surfaces and even up the same hill sometimes can only hit 140 (if I push it).

So, I've got the cardio-side of things nailed. I'm doing it almost daily.

I've only lost 6 pounds in that time and normally a "low" number would de-rail me, but thankfully I read up on why it's slow at the moment and I'm okay with my body building itself up.

My problem is that now that my wife and I are clearly set on our cardio being a routine and lifestyle and having the calorie defeceit diet nailed at the moment - we're ready to add strength training in. I've done a bunch of research but I'm really struggling to find an approriate routine for someone my size. Almost everyone I come across has things like push-ups or pull-ups and I very evidently can't do those things... yet.

So I need your help. I do not have access to a gym, I live in a small ass city. So I'm going the home route and am planning on buying kettle bells and free weights to start the process. I'm not looking to bulk up and be a swole bro but I want to really start weight training alongside everything else so I can be a whole, well-rounded "fit" person.

I need links or routines and suggestions from you guys for weight lifting for super-fat people like me because I'm honestly struggling to find an answer myself.

PS: I used to weigh 394 - I managed to get down to 335 last year through diet alone but gained fifteen back over the course of the past eight months but never have I been so focused and determined with exercise in my life.

If you're determined on at home training, I would suggest looking into P90, then P90X.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm usually there 2 - 2.5 hours. It's what feels right to me.

I'm usually 1:30 to 2 hours in the gym and I only go 2-4 times a week depending on recovery and how I feel, and what's planned for the week.

That said, as you work with heavier and heavier weights, you're gonna need more recovery. I'm getting the the point now especially with deadlifts that I need a lot of rest. One of the big downfalls of being natty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;120966802 said:
Shit, 45 minutes on a squat cage?

I take like 3 minutes between sets. If that, and I usually suffer the next day or two for it.

No wonder I'm fucking beat up after resuming weight training this weekend (which is why I'm posting in FitGAF, hello!). I gotta give my body more recovery.

MrToughPants squats pretty damn heavy, though, so I imagine his rest time is a bit longer than most people.

Like the heavy lifters in here are saying, you need more rest time once you start hitting heavy weights. You probably won't be doing a beginner's program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts when you get to that point, though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
MrToughPants squats pretty damn heavy, though, so I imagine his rest time is a bit longer than most people.

Like the heavy lifters in here are saying, you need more rest time once you start hitting heavy weights. You probably won't be doing a beginner's program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts when you get to that point, though.
I'll tie up a squat rack for 45 min easily. 5-7 minute rest periods are common for me. Squatting 325 for 5 and then attempting 375 for 5 next requires recoup time when you're 185 pounds.

hypernima

Banned
Hi fitgaf. i don't own any weights or have a gym membership, but i have a mat and a 25 lb tub of rocksalt to lift. that should be enough for a starter?

Leeness

Done six days in a row now, I think today will be rest day. Didn't sleep last night and I feel headaches coming on, so...perfect day for rest.

Hope I sleep tonight :(

Go_Ly_Dow

my workouts last 60-75mins depending on rest and taking out eqiupment waiting times

Hi fitgaf. i don't own any weights or have a gym membership, but i have a mat and a 25 lb tub of rocksalt to lift. that should be enough for a starter?

what are your goals

Sadetar

Oh gods. I was at the gym today with my colleague. She lost over 40 pounds last autumn and has been hitting the gym actively ever since... and well, how would I put this nicely... she does like million repetitions with basicly zero weight with silly machines. For example she does both legs at the same time with a weight of 15 pounds / 7,5 kilos. In comparison I do the same thing with one leg with 35-40 pounds. She is totally healthy, but don't add weight because she don't want to become bulky and her friends who have been going to gym said to her that to lose weight she needs to use low weights and high repetitions. She basicly lost the weight and all the muscles by just using crosstrainer for 50 minutes every other day, doing stupid things with machines and cleaning her diet. Also her core muscles are extremely shitty and she can't hold a side blank or a normal blank even 10 seconds. She don't need to lose weight anymore, but she refuses to change her programm. She has honestly changed from being fat to being a skinny fat who thinks she is working out.

It was quite painful to watch.

On the other hand my own working out went extremely well. :D
Edit: You too Sadetar, thanks. And I still think you look better lol.
Hahah, that is utter nonsense - you are a hot piece of meat.

Try to enjoy your rest day sweetie! Tomorrow will be my epic rest day and I am going to capital to see couple art exhibitions with my little sister and we are going to this awesome sushi buffet. It will definitely also be a cheat day. :p

This is what I've been doing to work on my traps and upper back the most aside from rowing.

In case anyone isn't doing them or has never seen them before. Snatch grip hang highpulls. 295 here.
http://youtu.be/SWFE9NWLcg0
I haven't never seen them before. :p

Oh and I loved the lad who was in the background checking his abs. :D

Sadetar

He's a body builder. And if you were a man, and looked like him, you would be too. Dude is jacked.
Hahha, oh I can tell he is a bodybuilder and that he is extremely hot. Also without a shadow of a doubt I would be doing the same if I would look like him. :p Like I said, I loved it. ;)

Zoe

Oh gods. I was at the gym today with my colleague. She lost over 40 pounds last autumn and has been hitting the gym actively ever since... and well, how would I put this nicely... she does like million repetitions with basicly zero weight with silly machines. For example she does both legs at the same time with a weight of 15 pounds / 7,5 kilos. In comparison I do the same thing with one leg with 35-40 pounds. She is totally healthy, but don't add weight because she don't want to become bulky and her friends who have been going to gym said to her that to lose weight she needs to use low weights and high repetitions. She basicly lost the weight and all the muscles by just using crosstrainer for 50 minutes every other day, doing stupid things with machines and cleaning her diet. Also her core muscles are extremely shitty and she can't hold a side blank or a normal blank even 10 seconds. She don't need to lose weight anymore, but she refuses to change her programm. She has honestly changed from being fat to being a skinny fat who thinks she is working out.

It was quite painful to watch.

Low weight/high reps works just fine as long as you're doing a decent program. I'd even go so far as to say I was stronger back when I was doing Body Pump because it hit more of the accessory lifts.

Not everybody's goal is to be strong, and there's nothing wrong with that.

sphinx

the piano man
one thing I have realized (it was almost a revelation) is that I have to eat with the same enthusiasm and hype like when I go to work out. I am trying to avoid thoughts like "I am full" or "I'd rather sleep longer than take breakfast".

This last week I've been honest regarding eating better both in quantity and quality and it's been the difference between shitty and quality workouts. I am trilled to weight myself next week,

tl:dr: EAT! eateateat

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Low weight/high reps works just fine as long as you're doing a decent program. I'd even go so far as to say I was stronger back when I was doing Body Pump because it hit more of the accessory lifts.

I'd argue most people's goal isn't to be strong. The vast majority of the gym going crowd go for aesthetic improvement.

Sadetar

That is the thing - she doesn't have a proper program but she just goes to the gym to do something (it might have been a bit misleading for me to say she don't want to change it since she really doesn't have one). She didn't break a sweat not even once during the whole time at the gym and she wasn't out of breath either.

Perhaps I am just not seeing it, but to me it looked quite much pointless.

Also the lack of core muscles was quite worrying to me, but then again that might be normal.

I also need to add that I am not working out to be strong - I am working out to be healthy and hopefully better looking like I would imagine most of the people.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue that everyone's goal should be to gain strength at least to a certain extent. Not just for the practical purposes of being a stronger human being, either. You're not going to get strong without a decent amount of muscle mass coming along the way. You can then use that solid foundation to focus on aesthetics if that's your thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd argue that everyone's goal should be to gain strength at least to a certain extent. Not just for the practical purposes of being a stronger human being, either. You're not going to get strong without a decent amount of muscle mass coming along the way. You can then use that solid foundation to focus on aesthetics if that's your thing.

The thing is their goal isn't to get strong, their goal is to look better. The strength gain they get is simply a by-product.

I'd argue for strength over aesthetics every time, but that's simply not the case for most people. And to be fair, most people quit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom