• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

I may have been the one who advocated front squats. I love them. Nothing helped improve my hip mobility more. That being said, I've cut them from my workouts while cutting because I simply don't have the energy to do that much volume right now (regular squats plus front squats)

TylerD

Looks like hip mobility and right ankle dorsiflexion are my major culprits in preventing me from getting down without my right heel coming up.

Found this sweet pre squat hip mobility warmup from Kelly S. that made me feel so loose after doing it last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

Rolled a golf ball under my feet for several minutes as well, felt sooooooooooo good.

Did the whole Fage / Total + Protein powder thing last night. Wasn't bad, but I think I need a protein powder with a bit less flavour as it was fairly overpowering. Maybe just go for a standard vanilla to use with that.

I am doing a scoop of ON Double Rich Chocolate with a cup of Greek yogurt for breakfast just about every morning but I add a cup of frozen blueberries and a 1/2 cup of granola. Tastes great and easily gets me to lunch.

My meals are consisting more of throw everything in a bowl type stuff than they did before. I like to do some sauteed baby spinach or mixed greens with some sliced grape tomatoes, 3 jumbo eggs, half an avocado and 4 ounces of whatever protein is left over from the night before for my lunches.

Dinner last night, was a microwaved 6oz pouch of tuna + cup of basmatti rice + 1/4 cup shredded cheese mixed with brown spicy mustard on one side of my bowl and 4 cups of steamed veg on the other.

Sit down and watch some GiantBomb on my Roku and have a night cap 2 cup whole milk + protein powder desert and it is a good night!

JCX

I see those comments as compliments.

8 weeks is a long ass time man, i did 3 months and was exhausted at the end. Good luck.

You're not alone, i have it in my left chest.

What kind of music do you guys listen to in the gym? I know there's allot of people lifting with metal.
Personally my gym plays top 40 music so i can't lift without my phone. Lifting with hardstye/hardcore on just gives me extra energy it seems.

I think you just gotta go with whatever type of music you like. For me, DDR and JRPG battle music work well because they can be on repeat without it seeming weird and I associate them with fun from games.

That was me for the longest time until I got a smartphone. Now I put my smartphone in my pocket and run my earbud cord up inside my shirt, wrapping the excess cord around my phone. Keeps the cord from dangling and getting caught on shit since my shirt is over it.

I got a pair of wireless bluetooth headphones and they are honestly one of the main reasons I've been working out as long as I have. I really don't know what most anyone else in the gym sounds like since I almost always have them on there.

The corded headphones annoyed me and would pull earbuds out during exercises.

Looks like hip mobility and right ankle dorsiflexion are my major culprits in preventing me from getting down without my right heel coming up.

Found this sweet pre squat hip mobility warmup from Kelly S. that made me feel so loose after doing it last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

Rolled a golf ball under my feet for several minutes as well, felt sooooooooooo good.

I am doing a scoop of ON Double Rich Chocolate with a cup of Greek yogurt for breakfast just about every morning but I add a cup of frozen blueberries and a 1/2 cup of granola. Tastes great and easily gets me to lunch.

My meals are consisting more of throw everything in a bowl type stuff than they did before. I like to do some sauteed baby spinach or mixed greens with some sliced grape tomatoes, 3 jumbo eggs, half an avocado and 4 ounces of whatever protein is left over from the night before for my lunches.

Dinner last night, was a microwaved 6oz pouch of tuna + cup of basmatti rice + 1/4 cup shredded cheese mixed with brown spicy mustard on one side of my bowl and 4 cups of steamed veg on the other.

Sit down and watch some GiantBomb on my Roku and have a night cap 2 cup whole milk + protein powder desert and it is a good night!

I have to give the golf ball tip a try.

If you ever feel tempted to buy a foam roller for post-workout soreness, just remember using a tennis ball will do the same job but cheaper.

Also, your diet plan sounds REALLY good. I've been settling for oatmeal every morning and a protein shake for lunch. Dinner can vary wildly.

Hey guys been lurking this thread for the last couple of weeks trying to learn something. I'm a total beginner and just recently started working out on a regular basis. I've gotten into a routine of running 5k three times a week and doing an upper body workout twice a week as well. This in combination with eating cleaner and less has got me steadily losing weight through the summer which is cool.

Anyway my main goal is weight loss for now but eventually I would like to focus on getting stronger. I've always felt like I lacked any real upper body strength or endurance so I want to correct that.

These are the exercises I'm doing on my upper body days:
Pull ups
Chin ups
Curls
Bent over Rows
Shoulder Press
Decline Bench Press
Decline Flys
Crunches (On a decline bench, not sure if that matters)
Goblet Squats (Not upper body but I just throw them in, with a 35lb dumbell which feels pretty light but it's the heaviest I have)

All this with only dumbells, mainly 25lbs. Usually 3 sets of 6 or 8 depending on how I'm feeling, which is usually weak as hell haha. Anyway I really just threw this routine together so I'm looking for anyone to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong here. Any key movements or areas that I'm neglecting as a beginner? And is this too many different movements to fit into the same workout? Any ill effects of only using a decline bench? (It's all I have at the moment or I would mix it up)

Personally I feel like I need more work on my core since just doing 20 crunches on that decline bench makes me feel like my abs are going to explode. Not really sure what else to do other than crunches though. Any help would be appreciated.

blackflag

i snort creatine, im not natty either

which of those are you on? HGH/test? tren? generic anabolics?

Testosterone only.

To be honest I've thought about messing with some other stuff lately since I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of PCT it takes like 90% of the downsides out of it but I still haven't.

Hey guys been lurking this thread for the last couple of weeks trying to learn something. I'm a total beginner and just recently started working out on a regular basis. I've gotten into a routine of running 5k three times a week and doing an upper body workout twice a Mmweek as well. This in combination with eating cleaner and less has got me steadily losing weight through the summer which is cool.

Anyway my main goal is weight loss for now but eventually I would like to focus on getting stronger. I've always felt like I lacked any real upper body strength or endurance so I want to correct that.

These are the exercises I'm doing on my upper body days:
Pull ups
Chin ups
Curls
Bent over Rows
Shoulder Press
Decline Bench Press
Decline Flys
Crunches (On a decline bench, not sure if that matters)
Goblet Squats (Not upper body but I just throw them in, with a 35lb dumbell which feels pretty light but it's the heaviest I have)

All this with only dumbells, mainly 25lbs. Usually 3 sets of 6 or 8 depending on how I'm feeling, which is usually weak as hell haha. Anyway I really just threw this routine together so I'm looking for anyone to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong here. Any key movements or areas that I'm neglecting as a beginner? And is this too many different movements to fit into the same workout? Any ill effects of only using a decline bench? (It's all I have at the moment or I would mix it up)

Personally I feel like I need more work on my core since just doing 20 crunches on that decline bench makes me feel like my abs are going to explode. Not really sure what else to do other than crunches though. Any help would be appreciated.

Weight loss depends on diet above all else.don't forget that.

Are you restricted toa set of home equipment? If you re doing this at a gym then you may find barbell bench and shoulder press preferable because they let you progress in smaller weight increments.

Every regular fit-gaf poster is about to tell you to do the basic routine in the OP instead. Listen to them and give it a shot if you can reasonably get barbell and squat rack access. Programs based around barbels are generally advisable because they allow you to hit all muscles with a few exercises and make strength progress at a high pace.

TylerD

I have to give the golf ball tip a try.

If you ever feel tempted to buy a foam roller for post-workout soreness, just remember using a tennis ball will do the same job but cheaper.

Also, your diet plan sounds REALLY good. I've been settling for oatmeal every morning and a protein shake for lunch. Dinner can vary wildly.

Thanks, I have a package of lacrosse balls on the way.

When it is cold outside oatmeal is my go to breakfast. To help get to my calorie goals for the day I will be smashing up a banana and adding a tablespoon or two of natural peanut butter when the time comes. Might have to try it with some protein powder as well.

Minus water retention\waste weight it looks like I have put on about 3-4 lbs since starting SS. Looks like the ~2400 cals a day is working well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about giving front squats a try. Any go-to videos for proper form?

Levi

Banned
Stuck behind road work for 45 minutes so barely any gym time this morning. Ended up doing 3x5 each of squats, barbell row, bicep curls and sprinted 5 minutes on the elliptical, and I was still 15 minutes late to work! Ugh.

Zero2kz

Just got back from the doctors. All checks he did on my shoulder resulted in no pain/sensitivity. No mobility issues. Said it didn't seem to be a joint issue. He believes it is likely tendonitis from overuse (y u bench so much brah?).

Took an X-Ray to make sure there isn't any tears. Will get the results tomorrow morning.

Most likely just going to need to keep taking more time off and eventually ease back into it.

Oh well. I am going to start Smolov for squats next week, so that should keep me satisfied for awhile.

keezy

Just got back from the doctors. All checks he did on my shoulder resulted in no pain/sensitivity. No mobility issues. Said it didn't seem to be a joint issue. He believes it is likely tendonitis from overuse (y u bench so much brah?).

Took an X-Ray to make sure there isn't any tears. Will get the results tomorrow morning.

Most likely just going to need to keep taking more time off and eventually ease back into it.

Oh well. I am going to start Smolov for squats next week, so that should keep me satisfied for awhile.

I have the same issue with my knees. I get bouts of tendinitis from overuse. They've been really bothering me lately. I'm going to be proactive this time and make the effort to stretch/ice to shorten the recovery time.

Zero2kz

I have the same issue with my knees. I get bouts of tendinitis from overuse. They've been really bothering me lately. I'm going to be proactive this time and make the effort to stretch/ice to shorten the recovery time.

Yah, same.

I should invest in some resistance bands.

First off I wanna thank everybody who gave me advice on deadlifts a few weeks ago after that dumbass trainer "corrected" my form. You guys are the best!

Secondly, what are peoples' thoughts on deloads? I have felt this soreness/slight pain in my left rotator cuff for about two weeks now, so I decided to deload this week and possibly next. I suppose it makes sense that after about four months of the Cooter routine my body would need a break, but man does it suck feeling like I haven't gone all out in the gym. How often do you fitbros deload for?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work! Everybody in this thread is super inspirational!

First off I wanna thank everybody who gave me advice on deadlifts a few weeks ago after that dumbass trainer "corrected" my form. You guys are the best!

Secondly, what are peoples' thoughts on deloads? I have felt this soreness/slight pain in my left rotator cuff for about two weeks now, so I decided to deload this week and possibly next. I suppose it makes sense that after about four months of the Cooter routine my body would need a break, but man does it suck feeling like I haven't gone all out in the gym. How often do you fitbros deload for?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work! Everybody in this thread is super inspirational!

I started a deload this week. It's my 2nd deload since starting the FitGAF life in early march.

I deloaded when I felt like my form isn't keeping up with the weight I'm moving. This is a marathon, not a race, so I figure a deload every few months or so will prevent me from injuries. I drop down to the first large plate I can do easily, then increase by 25 lbs until I can't do more than 1RM.

But check out this article here:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/deloading-101-what-is-a-deload-and-how-do-you-do-it

Do what do think will work for you. We don't know your exact goals.

I only deload for a week them jump back to good weight.

Petrie

Banned
Just finished up another round of 5/3/1 today. Feeling really good about my 1's week final numbers:

Squat: 320 x 3
OHP: 160 x 5
Deads: 365 x 3
Bench: 240 x 4

I'm finally starting to meet and exceed all my numbers from when I did a true form reset and healed up. And now I'm at these numbers without the belt or straps I was using before. I can't wait to see what I can achieve, especially when I stall a bit and add the belt back in.

Good to see you shredding shit up again Petrie.

Now newly-single me needs to get his diet in line. Way too easy to just order pizza and shit.

Hard to gauge everything though because I'm so much stronger I have to figure out what my cut weight is again. It definitely isn't the 175lbs it was a year ago, and I'm at 200lbs now.

J. Bravo

have fun with smolov lol. jumping straight into it is tough. i slept until 2pm today. granted i went to bed a little late and a little drunk but that never happens. you gotta eat a lot more food and protein especially.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Now newly-single me needs to get his diet in line. Way too easy to just order pizza and shit.
\

Oh shit, Single Petrie? Hope it was amicable/not a mess. Now you can go out in public buck naked and catch people mirin and take em home no problem my dude.

Zero2kz

Fuck! Just got the x-ray results back. AC shoulder separation. Seeing an orthopedic surgeon asap to determine the severity and what needs done.

Fml

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love it Sean, but would defer to anyone else who is more interested. I did get a chance to play in the Alpha already.

Tell us about the stories woof.
Hahaha. Maybe the next time I'm drunk and on GAF. ;)

I think it'd be hard for a few of us(specifically me) to criticize, you look great!

GL on your cut. I'm nowhere near cutting yet. I need to move serious weight before I can decide to start a cut.
It's all the same really, fat loss. I understand that feeling though. Back when I was 280ish it was hard to think about ever reaching that point that I wo uld "cut" down to some low BF% despite it just being a really really long cut.

You look gigantic Darth! Is that you at 215ish?
Thanks bud, nah I'm 226 there. Should be 215 next month, 210 at end of cut. Well end for now.

Beard isn't long enough.
I had a really nice beard going during the winter, but I got tired of keeping up with it and trimmed it down. :( I know, I know, loss of significant man points.

8 weeks is a long ass time man, i did 3 months and was exhausted at the end. Good luck.
I'm not too worried. Most of my cuts average 8-12 weeks or so. My last cut was definitely at least 12 weeks and I felt pretty good near the end. Thanks though champ!

Petrie

Banned
Oh shit, Single Petrie? Hope it was amicable/not a mess. Now you can go out in public buck naked and catch people mirin and take em home no problem my dude.

Boy was it not amicable at first.

It is now though.

Could be a break. Could be over. Either way I'm using the time to get crazy strong (for me, im no Brolic)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I continue to waste away. Down to 183.5. I seriously need to make sure I get enough protein. It sorta scares me dropping weight. This nagging voice in my head keeps repeating, "you're losing muscle... You bitch!"

Teggy

I continue to waste away. Down to 183.5. I seriously need to make sure I get enough protein. It sorta scares me dropping weight. This nagging voice in my head keeps repeating, "you're losing muscle... You bitch!"

Just remember, you want abs, not flabs.

Sadetar

I am heading to bed but I just thought to share the sillyness of today with you darlings before that.

Customer group had booked me and payed 105 euros / 140 dollars for 1,5 hours of my precious professional company. The group consisted of the most flirtatious dirty minded perverted old lads you can possibly imagine (we did have good time none the less or perhaps because of that). The time went fast and it was like an endless row of compliments. In the end I thanked them for visiting us, said that it was really a pleasure for me as well and shaked the hand of the man who had done the bookings and arranged the schedules for them. While shaking his hand I noticed that there was a paper in it and took it without the rest of the group noticing - it ended up being a banknote. It seems this whole working out thing is paying off, making me more satisfied with my self and letting me work with my whole persona and it is showing: I couldn't even think of the possibility that I would start to get tips from this work.

EDIT: I read that through and it sounded so wrong in numerous different levels! I am working in a museum!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: I read that through and it sounded so wrong in numerous different levels! I am working in a museum!

Haha, thanks for the clarification. I read through that imagining something completely different!

Zero2kz

Damn man, hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Considering there is almost no pain during every day activity (except for very early in the morning if I lay on it), I really hope it is one not in an advanced stage and not severe. Lady on the phone said these sometimes need surgery, but that will be decided by the orthopedic surgeon.

Best case scenario seems to be that pain goes away in 3-4 weeks, full recovery in 6-12.

So fingers crossed that when I finish Smolov, I can start easing back into it.

Leeness

Oh, coconut is so delicious. :p Go get it!

Aww, it sucks if it is too hot. I thought that in US everyone has like smashing air conditiong system, but it seems that isn't the case. Can you buy a quieter fan?

I am going to make coconut tasty things this weekend.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/07/01/Keto-Coconut-Fat-Bombs

Omg looks delicious.

I slept for a couple of hours last night :/ not much, but kept me going today.

Got my 40 minutes in. Kick box kick box. Punch things.

3x5 Squats 40 lbs
3x5 Bench Press 40 lbs

Feels good mang, gimme them DOMs

How has your form been on squats? I believe you posted a form check a month or so back and got a few suggestions from people here. Also, what kind of bar are you using for these lifts? Generally the bar itself will weigh 45 lbs at most gyms, so I'm wondering if it is possible you're selling yourself short as to how much weight you're actually pushing.

Ashodin

How has your form been on squats? I believe you posted a form check a month or so back and got a few suggestions from people here. Also, what kind of bar are you using for these lifts? Generally the bar itself will weigh 45 lbs at most gyms, so I'm wondering if it is possible you're selling yourself short as to how much weight you're actually pushing.

Well the first time I did it with two 10 lbs on each side (got massive DOMs), this time was with just one 10 lbs on each side, and yeah I feel like my form is getting better by doing it flatfooted.

I can post a vid next time. It's a silver olympic bar

Bowser

Well the first time I did it with two 10 lbs on each side (got massive DOMs), this time was with just one 10 lbs on each side, and yeah I feel like my form is getting better by doing it flatfooted.

I can post a vid next time. It's a silver olympic bar

A 10lb plate on each side = 20 lbs
Olympic bar = 45 lbs

So it should be a total of 65 lbs. Not sure how you're calculating 40 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom