• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
To me it looks like you're getting stuck just out of the hole as your hips raise up a bit. Could it be that?

Damn Brolic your strong.
I'm no expert on squat form, but like Matugi said, it looks like you just didn't get sufficient hip drive on the way up. Looks like you can handle the weight just fine, but something went off a bit with the mechanics, is all.

Thanks. Not sure how much it's that since if you watch my videos I always do that. I think I'm gonna try to squat barefoot again and see if my shoes are pitching me forward too much. Other than that only thing I can think is wearing my belt too tight.

My question for you guys and gals is: Is he off base or am I off base?

Should I be doing the bodybuilding splits routines that are targeting the individual body parts, the 300/P90X/Insanity workouts, or stick with the SS/5-3-1 Olympic workouts?

I understand Crossfit is off the table, since they're nothing more than bullshit artists.

There are smart and safe ways to both look strong and be strong (just general fitness) and it is pretty hard to completely divorce the two. Both of them improve quality of life in any number of ways.

Have a goal, do a routine you enjoy that will help you achieve it and don't be a dick about it. So the last point being the key, your friend is the one who's out of line.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Is it normal for pants to seem, tighter, after squatting and deadlifting for six months?

Pete Rock

Is it normal for pants to seem, tighter, after squatting and deadlifting for six months?
Give it another six months and you'll just give up on pants entirely. Fuck it.

Other than that only thing I can think is wearing my belt too tight.
This was my only thought as well, I know your form is dialed in and you are used to pushing heavy weights.

this is how you wear a suit
It looks like I could pick him as my character in KOF or something lol

You weren't going to win that battle no matter how much you show her how dangerous & inconsistent Crossfit is. She has multiple people to convince her otherwise and peer pressure is going to win out in the end.

Put up some injury information and leave it at that.

I'm far from a Crossfit defender, but I do have to say that I think that some folks don't appreciate how much that peer pressure mentioned above (and the group pressure in the Crossfit environment) really does help some people who have trouble with the motivation to work out. Lots of us in this thread are the self motivated types, either able to push hard by themselves or having / finding willing workout partners, but I don't think that is the average.

I totally think that a routine like SS and the other options in the OP is way more optimal than Crossfit craziness and the risk of injury is real. But for a fairly large portion of the population I think that as long as they avoid injury from the stupidest of stupid stuff then they actually will end up fitter and stronger doing Crossfit with friends as opposed to trying to life on their own or find new gym buddies for lifting. Not because it's more effective, but because the cost, peer pressure and the competitive dynamics keep them going at when they would skip out or skimp on workouts otherwise. It like the difference between the right answer and the "right" answer.

I'm far from a Crossfit defender, but I do have to say that I think that some folks don't appreciate how much that peer pressure mentioned above (and the group pressure in the Crossfit environment) really does help some people who have trouble with the motivation to work out. Lots of us in this thread are the self motivated types, either able to push hard by themselves or having / finding willing workout partners, but I don't think that is the average.

I totally think that a routine like SS and the other options in the OP is way more optimal than Crossfit craziness and the risk of injury is real. But for a fairly large portion of the population I think that as long as they avoid injury from the stupidest of stupid stuff then they actually will end up fitter and stronger doing Crossfit with friends as opposed to trying to life on their own or find new gym buddies for lifting. Not because it's more effective, but because the cost, peer pressure and the competitive dynamics keep them going at when they would skip out or skimp on workouts otherwise. It like the difference between the right answer and the "right" answer.

Well I told her if she is going to plunge into Crossfit she should do some actual research and watch how the trainers interect with their clients instead of redeeming a fucking Crossfit Groupon that she was suggesting

There are smart and safe ways to both look strong and be strong (just general fitness) and it is pretty hard to completely divorce the two. Both of them improve quality of life in any number of ways.

Have a goal, do a routine you enjoy that will help you achieve it and don't be a dick about it. So the last point being the key, your friend is the one who's out of line.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I found his dissmissive attitude of SS and 5/3/1 to be really questionable when his workouts incorporate barbell exercises.

I tried to explain who Mark Rippletoe is and how these barbell basics are what built Arnold and Lou, and all he kept telling me was that girls like the Brad Pitt look, not the meat heads.

I got really frustrated talking to him.

Yep. Has your waist gotten smaller too?

It doesn't make sense to me. You pay more for a Crossfit membership vs a gym, plus the competitive dynamic will push people to do foolishly injury inducing or life threatening exercises just to keep up with the guy/gal showing up the group. It's tribalism at its worst.

Not to forget the insultingly inconsistent standards across every Crossfit gym.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Yep. Has your waist gotten smaller too?

it's weird. I haven't measured my waist. The front feels tight, like I grew a belly, but the're a huge hole above my arse. My hand fits through there. I dunno if I'm explaining it right.

TylerD

With my early progress in SS thus far I have to say that IMO 100% being strong and feeling strong are my priorities and looking strong is secondary. It WILL happen though. Those numbers constantly going up are intoxicating and I am getting to the point where I can't wait for my next workout.

If I hit my progression tomorrow i'll be

+55 lbs on squat (from 75), +40 lbs on bench (from 115), +40lbs on deadlift (from 155) in a month on my 5rms. That feels freaking awesome.

Cudder

With my early progress in SS thus far I have to say that IMO 100% being strong and feeling strong are my priorities and looking strong is secondary. It WILL happen though. Those numbers constantly going up are intoxicating and I am getting to the point where I can't wait for my next workout.

+55 lbs on squat (from 75), +40 lbs on bench (from 115), +40lbs on deadlift (from 155) in a month on my 5rms. That feels freaking awesome.

Welcome to the wonderful world of strength training.

it's weird. I haven't measured my waist. The front feels tight, like I grew a belly, but the're a huge hole above my arse. My hand fits through there. I dunno if I'm explaining it right.

The things that'll get larger are the seat and your legs and thighs.

In my experience, those have gotten larger while my waist has been slowly shrinking.

Check how your clothes fit vs when you began working out.

PROGRESS! Good stuff, Tyler!
Yeah, looking strong comes with having a low body fat %. I've started on the high 25-30% bodyfat side.

I hope in a year or 2 I can cut down to 15-10% bodyfat. That's the ultimate goal, nice vascularity and a low bodyfat %.

It doesn't make sense to me. You pay more for a Crossfit membership vs a gym, plus the competitive dynamic will push people to do foolishly injury inducing or life threatening exercises just to keep up with the guy/gal showing up the group. It's tribalism at its worst.

*shrugs* I don't disagree with you at all in your assessment of Crossfit. I guess I just feel that the tribalism that you mention is actually very, very effective for some people. Heck, this thread is basically a scaled down form of what Crossfit tribalism provides. You want a group of people who you can share your successes with, push you to perform better, work on form and technique with, and so on. It's a very powerful motivator. It's just a shame that Crossfit tribalism happens to be tied to well....the rest of Crossfit. As far as I've seen most folks attempting something like Starting Strength have a lifting buddy at best to do the process with, and that's a shame.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded the 5x5 app yesterday. Is there a way to to start off with a moderate weight rather than no plates? I don't fancy starting at rock bottom again for the next few weeks and putting doughnuts on each end of the bar.

What kind of weight were you working with before deciding to try Stronglifts?

I did a massive deload on all of my lifts, but I didn't go down all the way to just the bar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It obviously depends on the gym and the group, but that peer pressure and group mentality can absolutely be dangerous. When you have the peer pressure on top of the idea that you have to finish your workout at all costs, and people with a "no pain, no gain" attitude, you are much more likely to do some stupid shit and injure yourself than if you were working out alone.

edit: looks like I was beaten to the point

:O

You bite your tongue! Dem fighting words!!!!

Heh, now I'm getting into more trouble :). I guess I'm just bad at expressing the point that I wanted to make. I'm totally not trying to make a case for Crossfit, or doing Olympic lifts as fast as you can, or "muscle confusion," or "no pain, no gain," or anything like that. Just trying to make the point that feeling like you are tackling fitness as a team can be a very strong motivator, and (via that motivation) that can really help to get the results that people want. And that team feeling is what Crossfit seems to do well, as cultish as it is sometimes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit no DOMs today, I must be getting the form right

There really isn't any relation to doing the exercise right and not getting DOMs.

All that probably means is that your muscles are getting used to that weight. If you dramatically increased the weight or the reps, or went back and did that same weight after an extended break, the DOMs would probably come back with a vengeance. That's been my experience, at least.

*shrugs* I don't disagree with you at all in your assessment of Crossfit. I guess I just feel that the tribalism that you mention is actually very, very effective for some people. Heck, this thread is basically a scaled down form of what Crossfit tribalism provides. You want a group of people who you can share your successes with, push you to perform better, work on form and technique with, and so on. It's a very powerful motivator. It's just a shame that Crossfit tribalism happens to be tied to well....the rest of Crossfit. As far as I've seen most folks attempting something like Starting Strength have a lifting buddy at best to do the process with, and that's a shame.

The only way most people learn or don't learn is by experience, right?
I tried one Crossfit class and I was feeling some kind of way from all of the shit they throw at you. SS isn't as complicated as Crossfit posits, which is why I liked it some much AND the result are what I've expected from lifting regularly.

Once I can nail down the diet part, I'll be on my way to a better body.

But I agree, doing something is a whole lot better than doing nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=893547447339324

Gais how do I achieve this body?

I want to get 100 geals on the beech

on the beech

on the beech

this summer

Thank you! I needed the laugh.

The only way most people learn or don't learn is by experience, right?
I tried one Crossfit class and I was feeling some kind of way from all of the shit they throw at you. SS isn't as complicated as Crossfit posits, which is why I liked it some much AND the result are what I've expected from lifting regularly.

Once I can nail down the diet part, I'll be on my way to a better body.

But I agree, doing something is a whole lot better than doing nothing.

Thank you! I needed the laugh.
That's why I'm a bit wary about my coworker trying it. She gets really winded from doing Zumba. Imagine her first day at Crossfit trying to do the WODs....

Ashodin

There really isn't any relation to doing the exercise right and not getting DOMs.

All that probably means is that your muscles are getting used to that weight. If you dramatically increased the weight or the reps, or went back and did that same weight after an extended break, the DOMs would probably come back with a vengeance. That's been my experience, at least.

I actually did less weight this time than the very first time (as stated earlier) so that's likely the reason why.

P3P5I

Hey Fit-GAF, known about the OT for awhile now, but this is my first time posting. I've been sticking to a program since around January. I picked most of my exercises from this chart http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/WorkoutLogs.html#anchor10649140, which was:
1) Bench press
2) Squat
3) DB Inclined press
4) DB Shrug
5) DB tricep ext
6) DB Preacher Curls
7) DB Lateral Raise
8) DB wrist curl
9) Leg Press
10) Tricep Pushdown
11) Seated rows
12) Situps with weights
13) Hyperextensions

Which I thought would be a good full-body workout since it targets a lot of muscles, but maybe it's not. I'll get SS and read it in the next few days, but in the meantime what could be improved with this workout? Maybe I could add/switch for Bent Rows and Overhead Presses.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, P3P5I! Welcome!

I may as well get this out of the way since it has to come up before feedback can be offered by some of the more knowledgeable FitGaffers, but what are your goals?

Also, what are your stats (age/height/weight), and what kind of weight and reps are you doing right now with your various exercises?

P3P5I

Hi, P3P5I! Welcome!

I may as well get this out of the way since it has to come up before feedback can be offered by some of the more knowledgeable FitGaffers, but what are your goals?

Also, what are your stats (age/height/weight), and what kind of weight and reps are you doing right now with your various exercises?
Hi again, I just want to build muscle and get stronger overall. I'm 22, 6'3, 150, hungry skeleton. Currently I'm doing:
1) Bench press 3x5 105
2) Squat 3x5 145
3) DB Inclined press 3x5 30 each
4) DB Shrug 3x5 30 each
5) DB tricep ext 3x10 30
6) DB Preacher Curls 3x5 25
7) DB Lateral Raise 3x5 15
8) DB wrist curl 3x10 15
9) Leg Press 3x5 190
10) Tricep Pushdown 3x5 45
11) Seated rows 3x5 120
12) Situps with weights 3x10 25
13) Hyperextensions 3x10 25

edit: weight added (lbs).

So I attempted the squat tonight as per the internet's strong recommendation and...I can't do it. It's like my legs don't bend right and I end up losing my balance. I'm pretty sure I have the form right, at least up to the point where I actually start to squat.

Help me, fitgaf.

edit: I tried the overhead squat as well and it kind of worked. I felt some strain in my lower back. Is that normal?

So I attempted the squat tonight as per the internet's strong recommendation and...I can't do it. It's like my legs don't bend right and I end up losing my balance. I'm pretty sure I have the form right, at least up to the point where I actually start to squat.

Help me, fitgaf.

edit: I tried the overhead squat as well and it kind of worked. I felt some strain in my lower back. Is that normal?

Try:

Squat without shoes to help with the balance.
Squat without weights to make sure you have the motion down. Try to do something like 3x25
Squat with dumbbells and work your way up until you feel comfortable.
Try barbell squats again, record your form for pointers.

P3P5I

Help me, fitgaf.
I was the same way as well. I just lowered the weights until I could balance myself through the full motion (assuming you're doing the form correctly). Your muscles will get used to it and squatting will become easier over time. It's definitely worth the effort to learn it.

Not sure about your other question, though.

I'll try those things. Is this likely just a balance issue or is my body not limbered up enough or something?

Also, am I going to get weird looks at the gym if I try this with my shoes off?

Matugi

Oh man I remember the day after I did 315 on squats for the first time in months just a few weeks ago. The next day sucked lol

I'll try those things. Is this likely just a balance issue or is my body not limbered up enough or something?

I dont think anyone will care unless you work out at a Planet Fitness. Some lifters deadlift and squat barefoot.

blackflag

I'll definitely be posting some form checks for you guys when I get back into it. A month and a half off could mean getting sloppy

I'm just getting back to deadlifting and squatting after like 5 weeks and mine is bad. I noticed shit flexibility in my hamstrings and ankles, some real bad butt wink....back to yoga.

Sorry i didn't see your Beta posts but I hit you up on Gmail.

Help me, fitgaf.

Film your squat and let us see what you're doing.

Depends on your body. But I don't think there is a heap that can go wrong with a squat leg wise (short of knee injuries etc) so I'd say you just need to get used to it.

How do you go doing something like prayer squats? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JQdNnmhZGA

If your legs are not letting you do that, try holding it as a stretch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riKu-RfmJxU

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I imagine a lot of westerners or people without exposure to "squatting culture" just do not have the flexibility to do a proper deep squat a first. Going straight to bar training is not a good idea for those people.

It can take a good bit of work to train those muscles and get flexible enough, but it's certainly not impossible. It just takes time and effort.

Cormano

Whats a good BF% to start bulking?

I've been trying to get to 10% with diet & weight training for months now.

I'm 6.2" and around 175 pounds. BF% is around 15-16%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom