• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You will see bulk but 90% of it will be just fat. Most of us won't want to see that kind of bulk :)

Just try to eat 200-500kcal extra an top of your maintenance for starts.
Very few have the mental toughness to endure like our beloved FE!

I guess that was my impression that you needed to eat a whole lot more food if you wanted to see some good bulk. I read the OP a bit more closely and that mentions that you'll see good gains from simply eating 300-1000 more calories of the food you are already eating. I definitely think I will do that. The whole drastic bulk/cut really doesnt appeal to me.

Piecake, by the way, welcome to FitGAF. I feel like if every person on Earth loosely followed the advice of FitGAF and Retirement-Planning GAF, there'd be a lot more healthy and wealthy people out there.

Also, I agree with the calorie advice, 200-500 over your maintenance should be plenty. And, if it isn't, you can always adjust higher gradually.

Piecake

You will see bulk but 90% of it will be just fat. Most of us won't want to see that kind of bulk :)

Just try to eat 200-500kcal extra an top of your maintenance for starts.

Piecake, by the way, welcome to FitGAF. I feel like if every person on Earth loosely followed the advice of FitGAF and Retirement-Planning GAF, there'd be a lot more healthy and wealthy people out there.

Also, I agree with the calorie advice, 200-500 over your maintenance should be plenty. And, if it isn't, you can always adjust higher gradually.

Thanks! I think I will do just that. 6k calories sounded rather insane to me (though maybe I just thought I read that somewhere and am making it up?). I also did not contemplating how much a daily 6k calorie diet would cost me...

Go_Ly_Dow

My left arm is .5" larger and feels a tad bit stronger despite working both equally for 20+ years. I'm not sure how you combat it. At this point I've accepted it as a law of nature. I guess hypothetically you can do more work for one side but it has never mattered enough to actually test this theory. I guarantee the only one who notices it is you.

reassuring to know i'm not the only one!

Hello fitgaf! Since I’m in need of your knowledge and advice, I might as well give a quick intro:
•Height: 5’10”
•Weight: ~ 12st 3lb, or 171lbs
•Goal: since I’m starting pretty much from scratch, strength, and size. Longer term I’d seek something in the direction of the image below. I’d like advice on how to set up my routine now to move towards this, rather than spend the next few years fumbling about.
•Current Training Schedule: 3/4 days a week, split into Chest/Tris/Shoulders day one, back & biceps day 2, legs & core day 3. Each workout is preceded by a non-random hill interval programme on a cycling machine, for either 10 or 20 minutes, trying to maintain a 30km+ speed on uphill sections. Day off between each gym visit
•Current Training Equipment Available: gym membership, so everything you would expect as standard is there to use.
•Comments: my body shape is what I’d describe as between slim and average up top, with my shoulders not naturally being particularly broad. However much legs have always had a lot of size and bulk to them (considering I never worked out as a teenager).

Going back to the goals a second, the physique I’d aim for in the long term is something along these lines (shamelessly stolen from the awesome fitgaf progress thread), which I guess you’d describe as very defined and sculpted in appearance? My main question is therefore how should I alter my gym time (and diet) to move towards this ‘ideal body’?
WP_20140705_017_zpse3377013.jpg

However I’m quite realistic in that for the next few months my diet will not be up to snuff (new career in September which will sort my finances, but I won’t be moving out until next year, which limits my ability to move onto a healthier diet), which I fully understand will hold me back.

In the three months I’ve been following my current routine, I’ve certainly begun to develop my body, particularly my triceps, chest, and abdominal muscles, which now look as though they exist , rather than being invisible ether! At the same time my weight has remained fixed around 171lbs, and I still very much do not ‘look’ my weight!

So onto the routine: almost all exercises I aim for 3x6, with the occasional extra set thrown in, and of course for stuff like dumbbell rows it’s 3x6 on each arm. I increase the weight for each set, the amount depending on the exercise. For compound lifts it’s 5kg each time, for stuff like dumbbell rows 2kg each time. I’ve always followed this, though for no particular reason, other than the layman logic of progressively increasing weight to warm up the muscle group being used, and I have to say my body is used to this now, so any changes here would take some getting used to.

Routine day 1: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

• Barbell bench press (last session at 45kgx6/50x6/50x6/55x3)
  • Barbell incline bench press
  • Dumbbell fly (although if the athleanX channel is to be believed, this exercise isn’t doing what I intended?)
  • Dumbbell bent over reverse fly
  • EZ bar decline close grip skull crusher
  • Barbell lying triceps extension
  • Dumbbell shoulder press
  • Dumbbell one arm supinated triceps extension
  • Barbell front raise
(Typically takes 70-80 mins to do, plus cardio time)

Routine day 2: Back/Biceps (all 3x6

• Barbell bent over row
  • Barbell deadlift (55x6/60x6/65x6/70x4)
  • Leverage machine high row
  • Dumbbell one arm row
  • Dumbbell seated one arm curls (used to be standing, but I feel isolating the bicep in these exercises seems more beneficial and efficient?)
  • Dumbbell one arm seated hammer curl (as above)
  • Dumbbell reverse bicep curl
(typically takes 60 mins plus cardio)

Routine day 3: Legs/Core

• Barbell squat (30x6/35x6/40x6)
  • Leg press with narrow stance (machine with free weight discs rather than the one which runs on a cable path/track)
  • Seated machine leg curl
  • Seated machine leg extensions
  • Hip adduction machine
  • Hip abductor machine
  • Sit ups (40 at my last session, one set only)
  • Crunches (30 at my last session, one set only)
  • Decline bench crunches (30 at my last session, one set only)
  • Decline bench twisting sit ups (30 at my last session, one set only)
(typically takes 60 mins plus cardio)

What needs to be taken out from each day? Put in? How should I change my reps/sets?

I’ve filled in the weights for my last session for the compound exercises, if you want others, just ask!

Anyway, feel free to rip me a new one fitgaf!

Cooter

You're not making efficient use of your time Little Old Man.

That is way too many exercises. If you are a beginner the most important thing right now is mastering Squat/Deadlift/Over head press/Bench press. Concentrate all your attention to improving these lifts and increasing your weight you lift. Probably the best way to do this is following Starting Strength outlined in the OP. After you run this program to completion you can start focusing on sculpting the individual muscles. Be warned that might take months or years. Weight training is measured in years and not months. If you are serious about it better start treating it as a habitual activity that is part of your life. This type of mindset is crucial to your success. Embrace it or be prepared to fail.

The other equally if not more important aspect is your diet. We can help you with that also if you need it.

That is way too many exercises. If you are a beginner the most important thing right now is mastering Squat/Deadlift/Over head press/Bench press. Concentrate all your attention to improving these lifts and increasing your weight you lift. Probably the best way to do this is following Starting Strength outlined in the OP. After you run this program to completion you can start focusing on sculpting the individual muscles. Be warned that might take months or years. Weight training is measured in years and not months. If you are serious about it better start treating it as a habitual activity that is part of your life. This type of mindset is crucial to your success. Embrace it or be prepared to fail.

The other equally if not more important aspect is your diet. We can help you with that also if you need it.

Yeah the sheer volume of exercises is why I finally decided to post here, it just felt like too much was going on without any real purpose or design to it. Also don't worry, I appreciate that getting where I want to will take years. I've fought much worse battles in my life so I'm ready for this!

So from the OP, let's say I go for this Starting Strength programme:
Full Body

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

So this program I should stick with until "when linear progress in weight from workout to workout is exhausted (3 full resets for each movement) consider an upper/lower split or an intermediate program."?

In terms of abdominal & arm work, any suggestions? I'd like to keep my current abdominal work if possible, but should I just leave out any arm exercises completely for now?

Could someone reword this part for me also: When you start missing reps 2-3 workouts in a row, reset the weight about 10% on that movement only and continue to add weight as before. On that movement only? I.e. reset for that particular exercise only?

Finally I can only find the book Starting Strength as a kindle download, or should I just refer to the linked wiki in the OP?

For diet do you go by the portion size method or count calories?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey fitness GAF.

I am finally at my goal. I lost 55 pounds in about 2 months and maintained perfectly for a month. I now have abs. Almost legit six pack. Shoulders are coming along, biceps and forearms are great, if hardly big. Leg day is every day. Haven't been in this shape in twenty years.

But that is the issue. I'm 43, and it is not easy. I think I have to work literally twice as hard as when I was young, just to maintain. And I have a chronic back injury that is always threatening to go on me.

Any ancient fitness GAFers with gramps tips?

I work out two hours per day and have a terrible but effective food regime.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to make the jump after I do some more research. For those who have been curious and wanted to learn, what's the best spot for real (not marketing) talk about steroids and how they work? I've got a few doctor appointments scheduled as well, I just want to be knowledgeable when I go in to talk to her.

Yeah the sheer volume of exercises is why I finally decided to post here, it just felt like too much was going on without any real purpose or design to it. Also don't worry, I appreciate that getting where I want to will take years. I've fought much worse battles in my life so I'm ready for this!

So from the OP, let's say I go for this Starting Strength programme:
Full Body

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

So this program I should stick with until "when linear progress in weight from workout to workout is exhausted (3 full resets for each movement) consider an upper/lower split or an intermediate program."?

In terms of abdominal & arm work, any suggestions? I'd like to keep my current abdominal work if possible, but should I just leave out any arm exercises completely for now?

Could someone reword this part for me also: When you start missing reps 2-3 workouts in a row, reset the weight about 10% on that movement only and continue to add weight as before. On that movement only? I.e. reset for that particular exercise only?

Finally I can only find the book Starting Strength as a kindle download, or should I just refer to the linked wiki in the OP?

As far as arm accessories I just do dips and curls 3x10. For abs I have an ab wheel where I do 3x20 or cable crunches for 3x10. Don't overdo it with these accessory exercises. You don't want YOLO curls and abripperx shit interfere with your main lifts

As for your other question...only reset on a lift where you miss reps 2-3 workouts in a row. For example if you only do 1 rep on your last set of squats, stay at that weight next time. If you still are getting 1 rep on your last set of squats your 2nd or 3rd workout, then decrease your current working weight to 10%

rokkerkory

Hey fitness GAF.

I am finally at my goal. I lost 55 pounds in about 2 months and maintained perfectly for a month. I now have abs. Almost legit six pack. Shoulders are coming along, biceps and forearms are great, if hardly big. Leg day is every day. Haven't been in this shape in twenty years.

But that is the issue. I'm 43, and it is not easy. I think I have to work literally twice as hard as when I was young, just to maintain. And I have a chronic back injury that is always threatening to go on me.

Good job man, I can see you getting more fit in the interviews.

Have you tried yoga? Don't laugh, it can really melt the fat away. Also, every day is leg day, not sure that is good.

What's your goal however?

rokkerkory

Back update... delts are starting to separate from biceps:

10552597_10152531418508758_6744124120717258265_n.jpg

I do delts 2 times a week and back 2 times a week. Biceps are mainly getting worked through compound workouts mostly. I don't focus much on biceps / triceps.

#nofilter

grumble

Hey guys,
I had to learn again that employees in the bigger sports fashion stores have no idea about proper work-out shoes.
My current indoor shoes are wearing itself out in the inner part and over the course of months my feet got slender and I have way to much freedom in them.
So, Due to my flatfeet I wanted to buy these shoes with less cushioning like the Nike free 3. I knew from another runner that these can be pretty great to train the feet muscles on short distances and I guess they should do well for lifting as well.
However, I don't know if I have to stop using the orthopedic inlays and if they are really okay with lifting?

Anyone got experiences or ideas with shoes?

Running shoes are not appropriate for lifting weights. Using weightlifting shoes is better, or flat shoes likes chuck Taylor's. It's no joke that buying weightlifting shoes is the best money you can spend for the gym, and tere is no such thing as too soon.

At just 230 pounds deadlift my grip is finally starting to give up. By the 4th rep I had the bar on the tip of my fingers and had to take almost a whole minute to flick the sweat off my hands before completing the 5th rep with shoddy form. I already use chalk and an overhand grip, I'll have to try a hook grip and see if that really works. But if that fails, is the time for straps coming close? What is the most weight you can lift without straps?

At just 230 pounds deadlift my grip is finally starting to give up. By the 4th rep I had the bar on the tip of my fingers and had to take almost a whole minute to flick the sweat off my hands before completing the 5th rep with shoddy form. I already use chalk and an overhand grip, I'll have to try a hook grip and see if that really works. But if that fails, is the time for straps coming close? What is the most weight you can lift without straps?

I would say, like a belt, when you feel you need to use straps then use them and it sounds like you need them.

rokkerkory

What do you do for back?

Generally my back routine consists of something like this. I try to mix it up tho:

Day 1 for week: (higher weight, lower reps)
- dead lifts
- bent over dumbbell rows
- wide grip lat pull downs
- narrow seated cable rows

Day 2 for week: (lower weight, higher reps)
- machine face pulls
- wide pull-ups
- close grip lat pull downs
- weighted back extensions
- seated machine row

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Overhand is the default deadlift grip, so your next step should be mixed grip. One hand over, one hand under.

abuC

Hey fitness GAF.

Damn, how did you lose 55lbs in 2 months?

If you have a secret let me know, so I can bulk up to 280-290lbs this winter.

Cooter

181.5 today. Fat is dripping off like a rotisserie chicken! Kinda excited that I only need a 540 DL now to achieve my goal. 555-560 was daunting.

despire

I'm going to make the jump after I do some more research. For those who have been curious and wanted to learn, what's the best spot for real (not marketing) talk about steroids and how they work? I've got a few doctor appointments scheduled as well, I just want to be knowledgeable when I go in to talk to her.

Maybe this:

http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/products/steroid-book

Just clarifying here that I haven't read the book nor do I know anything about the subject matter. I just know that the book is on sale in the Greyskull store so it can't be total shit. There's a thread on the GSLP forums as well if I remember right.

Gila

Do you guys use heart rate monitor/calorie burn counter watches?

I was looking at the Polar FT4 but I don't like the chest strap. Just want a wristwatch only. Any recommendations? My friend has the pebble smartwatch with a few fitness apps but it doesn't look too accurate

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys use heart rate monitor/calorie burn counter watches?

I was looking at the Polar FT4 but I don't like the chest strap. Just want a wristwatch only. Any recommendations? My friend has the pebble smartwatch with a few fitness apps but it doesn't look too accurate

I can't imagine any of these devices could be even close to accurate. What is the reason you want one? Peace of mind?

I can totally picture people wearing these things stuffing in extra snacks because their watch tells them they "burned" an extra 200 calories or whatever that day. Seems like there is more potential for these things to be harmful than helpful.

Gila

Makes sense, I assumed a lot of people wore it and it was a good measuring guide. Seems like it isn't lol, my mistake!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense, I assumed a lot of people wore it and it was a good measuring guide. Seems like it isn't lol, my mistake!

Just my opinion, honestly, but I'm highly skeptical of anyone's ability to accurately measure calorie intake, much less actual usage in the body. I'd imagine a device that estimates it based off heart rate is even less reliable. I may be wrong, though!

Hey fitness GAF.

I'm 45, so yeah I can relate lol. The main thing is to train smart, and don't try to lift like a 25 year old. Those days are gone. I find that I need more time to recover, so I go to the gym 4 days on, 3 days off. I do railroad construction, so I'm basically lifting heavy shit all the time. Eating and sleeping right are of utmost importance. I hurt my back a year ago dead lifting due to lack of sleep, lack of focus, and bad form. Set me back a lot, but I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

Dominator

I desperately need help. Currently I stand at 355 lbs and I would like to drop to about 220, but be built. I have absolutely no idea what exercises to do early on to get things going. Should I just do cardio? I don't want loose skin (might be unavoidable) so I should do weight training as well, right?

I know its a lot to ask for someone here to help out a stranger, but if anyone has a weekly workout plan optimized for heavy people trying to lose weight but be built, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My other issue is my diet. I stopped eating all types of fried foods and stopped drinking soda, but I just don't know what to make for my meals. I eat grilled chicken and egg whites, but thats mostly the extent of my meals everyday with fruit sprinkled in. I know I'm definitely not eating enough calories which is why I need help. Pro-tip: I'm a picky eater which makes things rough. I'm looking to do a 1000-1200 diet, so if anyone can point me in to any direction I'd be thankful.

I desperately need help. Currently I stand at 355 lbs and I would like to drop to about 220, but be built. I have absolutely no idea what exercises to do early on to get things going. Should I just do cardio? I don't want loose skin (might be unavoidable) so I should do weight training as well, right?

I know its a lot to ask for someone here to help out a stranger, but if anyone has a weekly workout plan optimized for heavy people trying to lose weight but be built, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My other issue is my diet. I stopped eating all types of fried foods and stopped drinking soda, but I just don't know what to make for my meals. I eat grilled chicken and egg whites, but thats mostly the extent of my meals everyday with fruit sprinkled in. I know I'm definitely not eating enough calories which is why I need help. Pro-tip: I'm a picky eater which makes things rough. I'm looking to do a 1000-1200 diet, so if anyone can point me in to any direction I'd be thankful.

I would suggest, that you just begin to start working out. Do one part of cardio and one part of strength. Other gaffers would probably suggest you just to do anaerobic workout but cardio will make you fitter in general for daily life and for the workouts. Heavy guys just need some stamina first.

Regarding meals, just eat stuff which can keep you sated for some time, respectively no sugar.
Use calorie counters like myfitnesspal, because with 1000-1200 calories you should feel very starved and you have to avoid that.

Starting bulking in a week... but a moderate bulk rather than a full on Cartman style beefcake crusade. Cutting has just left me looking gaunt so I'm quite eager to put a bit of meat back on my bones.

despire

Read the OP and do the OP routine if you can at your current weight/condition. If not then make exercise substitutions where necessary (you can ask here for help). Include some zero impact cardio like elliptical or swimming (for joint health) if you want to.

Remember that diet is the key here. No amount of exercise will make you skinny if you don't get your diet in check also. Learn to cook, buy a cook book or something.

If you are serious about sticking with those calorie levels check out Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet book. It will tell you what to do, how to do it and most importantly what NOT to do for maximumx fat loss and health. Although I would probably recommend a higher calorie intake but RFLD really gives results extremely fast, which is encouraging. Some people need a moderate approach while others want to do something more "hard core". Since you weigh so much the standard advice of "1 lbs of fat loss per week" might be too slow at first. Hence the RFLD advice (if you can do it).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

^Also includes exercise recommendations.

For example you can start with RFLD and then move on to a more moderate diet after a few months etc..

Hi FitGAF.

I was wondering how you all felt about bodyweight exercises for someone who just wants to tone up a little bit. I want to lose weight and gain a bit of strength. I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything. For the past two weeks, I've been running 4 miles/day and doing pushups and pullups with a little bit of abs/core work mixed in. I've also been eating better. More salads, salmon for protein (salmon is easy to cook). I usually eat two fruits for breakfast to jumpstart my day and have been drinking water. I do give in at times and eat chocolate however.

Do you have any advice for a new FitGAFer? My goal is to reduce body fat and tone up.

Barzul

Started two a days today. So far so good. Had to get up at like 5:30, but it wasn't too bad. Me and my group are starting off with once a week, on chest day.

Pakoe

Bench press 410lbs. Played it safe and stopped there. In no hurry at the moment.

http://youtu.be/PkljfmCKW7I

Not sure what i admired more, the weight or the fact that there's no spotter.

What do you want to know?
I did my fair share of searching and learning back when i wanted to hop on.
Feel free to PM is needed.

Hi FitGAF.

I was wondering how you all felt about bodyweight exercises for someone who just wants to tone up a little bit. I want to lose weight and gain a bit of strength. I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything. For the past two weeks, I've been running 4 miles/day and doing pushups and pullups with a little bit of abs/core work mixed in. I've also been eating better. More salads, salmon for protein (salmon is easy to cook). I usually eat two fruits for breakfast to jumpstart my day and have been drinking water. I do give in at times and eat chocolate however.

Do you have any advice for a new FitGAFer? My goal is to reduce body fat and tone up.
Someone linked a book specifically on bodyweight exercises somewhere in the last few pages. Can't remember what it was called though.

Cudder

A 1000 calorie diet is way too restrictive. You don't want that. Get MyFitnessPal on your phone or computer, and use it while reducing your calorie intake by 500 a day. Start walking every day. You need to ease into a new lifestyle. Doing a crash diet and jumping into an intense routine would be the wrong way to go about things imo. Take things slow.

Fit GAF chefs!!!

Is it cheaper to buy all your protein in bulk? I was thinking of getting a Costco membership so I can buy all the meats I need.

Also someone should probably start a Fit GAF cookbook thread for those who have no idea what to cook besides the grilled chicken and brown rice slop.

Petrie

Banned
Sean, thanks so much for the Destiny Beta key my friend. This game is awesome.

I know the only game that will be in my PS4 come fall. So good.

Heysoos

Did 315lbs on squat today! Felt good! :) I think I'm going looking into other programs, I like 5x5 but I feel like maybe I can move into something more advanced. I don't know. Any suggestions? My primary goal is still fat loss. Was thinking of trying 5/3/1. Was also looking into Madcow's 5x5, but I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of power clean.

Faiz

I can't imagine any of these devices could be even close to accurate. What is the reason you want one? Peace of mind?

I can totally picture people wearing these things stuffing in extra snacks because their watch tells them they "burned" an extra 200 calories or whatever that day. Seems like there is more potential for these things to be harmful than helpful.

The few people I know who have worn such devices ... Yeah, that's exactly what happens.

"Nah, I can totally eat this bag of cheetos, look, I burned 600 calories today!"

-_-

Cudder

Did 315lbs on squat today! Felt good! :) I think I'm going looking into other programs, I like 5x5 but I feel like maybe I can move into something more advanced. I don't know. Any suggestions? My primary goal is still fat loss. Was thinking of trying 5/3/1. Was also looking into Madcow's 5x5, but I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of power clean.

If you can keep going on 5x5, keep going. Don't just switch out programs on a whim until you've gotten as far as you can go. Congrats on the 315 squats, really great milestone to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom