• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diet question:

I'm looking to branch out a little in my meats that I eat. Currently I stick with lean pork and chicken breast. My wife doesn't like fish (though I love it) so I don't cook it very often. Any other meat recommendations?

Cudder

I have started working on an internship over summer, where i'm working full time. There's a gym in the office, which I am starting to use regularly. The thing is, is that instead of the one and a half hours or more that i'd have free to do strength training, I do not have that much time! What's a good workout to do in half an hour to 40 mins that will still be useful...

Right now I'm doing (sample workout):
10 mins sprinting with breaks (a kind of HIIT, I suppose)
Barbell curls
Overhead press
Shoulder press
Lat pulldown
Tri pushdown

and that covers around 40 mins...

Stronglifts 5x5

Sadetar

Latest quest product is protein chips
I might be mildly interested...

13634300731559302005.GIF

Bowser

Diet question:

I'm looking to branch out a little in my meats that I eat. Currently I stick with lean pork and chicken breast. My wife doesn't like fish (though I love it) so I don't cook it very often. Any other meat recommendations?

Turkey seems like a natural extension to what you're already eating. After that and fish, I don't know what else there's left besides beef (being Hindu, I don't eat beef, so I feel your pain here if you don't either). Bison? Lamb? More gamey cuts like venison, elk, etc.

Turkey seems like a natural extension to what you're already eating. After that and fish, I don't know what else there's left besides beef (being Hindu, I don't eat beef, so I feel your pain here if you don't either). Bison? Lamb? More gamey cuts like venison, elk, etc.

Oh, I totally forgot about Turkey. That'd be good.
Lamb is okay, but I'm really not a fan of beef & sausage, which are really common around here. I live in one of the most obese cities in the country, so we have all the bad meats with loads of fat everywhere. It's hard to find a good meat.

I just had a donut and 10 oz of Sierra Mist. Damn that was an amazing cheat meal. Still keeping my calories in check for the day, but swapped out fat for all these extra carbs.

Probably not doing that again for the rest of NY life but man... So good to cheat once every week or two.

bennywhatever, how about shrimp?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
jhzYZknNnBRet.jpg

Glamour shot Thursday!

Managed 190 @ 3 reps on bench press today. Stoked since one year ago I was benching 4 reps at 145.

~173 pounds right now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I totally forgot about Turkey. That'd be good.
Lamb is okay, but I'm really not a fan of beef & sausage, which are really common around here. I live in one of the most obese cities in the country, so we have all the bad meats with loads of fat everywhere. It's hard to find a good meat.

I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of nonsense.

The U.S. is one of the most obese countries in the world and lean cuts are the most popular in super markets. Meanwhile in Japan, fatty cuts are really all that exists and obesity rates are pretty low in that country.

You're fooling yourself if you think there is some kind of relation between eating fat and getting fat. You're also robbing yourself of a lot of delicious flavor and a very important macronutrient that your body absolutely needs. If you don't want to eat fat, that's fine, but don't try to link it to obesity.

/soapbox

Dany

Banned
Quest bars are so good. The banana nut ones are the best.

I tied cookies and cream a few days ago, SO GOOD then I bought the variety pack and tried banana nut yesterday. SO GOOD. Cinnimon roll is SO GOOD. I expect cookie dough to be SO GOOD.

Piecake

I think I should avoid ever trying quest bars now. I would probably eat a whole box in a day. I have tremendous willpower not eating good tasting food if its not in site or in the house, but man, if its in the house...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My fractional weight plates arrived last night and I think they are going to be key in helping me continue to progress on Stronglifts 5x5.

I failed the last two reps of my fifth set of bench @ 140 lbs. last session. I went ahead and did 137.5 lbs. this session and it wasn't a problem at all. I think I'll be able to tackle 140 lbs. easily next time.

Definitely going to be using these for overhead press, too, which I've stalled at 100 lbs. max for 5x5.

Sadetar

Sciatica has gone away. I think my disk is almost fully healed.
That is so awesome to hear!

Oh, I am extremely happy for you! :D Back related pains are the worst.

I think I should avoid ever trying quest bars now. I would probably eat a whole box in a day. I have tremendous willpower not eating good tasting food if its not in site or in the house, but man, if its in the house...
I feel you there. I am exactly the same. :p

What do you guys think about high rep squats? My coworker swears by them, say they give him an awesome pump, but I personally feel it's a waste of my time and energy to squat 155 lbs 15 times. He tells me it's not always about the weight, but what else is there? People squat to get stronger am I right? Can you get bigger legs training this way?

FUME5

What do you guys think about high rep squats? My coworker swears by them, say they give him an awesome pump, but I personally feel it's a waste of my time and energy to squat 155 lbs 15 times. He tells me it's not always about the weight, but what else is there? People squat to get stronger am I right? Can you get bigger legs training this way?

I've got a permenant spinal injury (ruptured disc at the L4 with cartilage sticking into the spinal column) so I have to be very careful with my weights.

Decided against putting a squat rack in my weight room, I figure if I stick to weights I can lift over my head I'm at a lower risk of injury than if I squat heavy. Definitely seen an improvement in muscle definition in the 4-5 months I've been back into it, but not a whole lot of mass gain - not that I've ever been able to put it on so I may not be the best benchmark.

Still, instead of 3 sets of 5 I do 4 x 10, which is still 1800 kg I'm moving around.

I'm sure the general advice is to squat as heavy as you can, but if there are reasons you can't do that you will still benefit from squats, no question.

Pathos

Banned
^^

RE: Barbell Rows as well

See so many variations at different angles.

Which one?

Also palms outwards or inwards?

My main focus with them is to hit the upper back.
I personally do pendlay rows, which looks like #3,except with a straight back instead of a rounded one.

I failed the last two reps of my fifth set of bench @ 140 lbs. last session. I went ahead and did 137.5 lbs. this session and it wasn't a problem at all. I think I'll be able to tackle 140 lbs. easily next time.

Definitely going to be using these for overhead press, too, which I've stalled at 100 lbs. max for 5x5.
When doing SL5x5, and you fail to achieve 5x5 3 times for that specific exercise, you should deload by 10% and work your way back up. That usually works when stalling.

My problem with quest bars is that in the UK I'm pretty much stuck buying full boxes of 12 just to try a flavour. I bought a multi pack from an ebay seller but it was missing all of the flavours people around here describe as their favourites.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When doing SL5x5, and you fail to achieve 5x5 3 times for that specific exercise, you should deload by 10% and work your way back up. That usually when stalling.

Oh, I know.

I just wanted to try out the fractional weight plates, so instead of trying 140 lbs. against, I went ahead and changed the settings in the app to only go up 1.25 weights each time on Bench and OHP, and took it down to 137.5 lbs. this session. I'll stick to the program from here on out.

I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of nonsense.

The U.S. is one of the most obese countries in the world and lean cuts are the most popular in super markets. Meanwhile in Japan, fatty cuts are really all that exists and obesity rates are pretty low in that country.

You're fooling yourself if you think there is some kind of relation between eating fat and getting fat. You're also robbing yourself of a lot of delicious flavor and a very important macronutrient that your body absolutely needs. If you don't want to eat fat, that's fine, but don't try to link it to obesity.

/soapbox

Woooo sorry to offend you. I was just making a correlation. I literally do live in the what has been the most obese city in the country ( http://city-countyobserver.com/2011/04/28/evansville-ranked-1-in-america-for-obesity/ ), and we have very little pork and chicken here in comparison to beef, sausage and lots of "german heritage" meats. It's around, just usually a little more expensive and sparse. Like I said, just making a correlation.

zychi

Banned
To you home gym guys, any recommendations for a sub $500 power rack? I think im ready to make the jump to home gym, i cant take the slobs who leave weights and dumbbells everywhere at my local gym. All i need is the power rack, and a bench to pull in. Got a cheap set of weights already off craigslist

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Woooo sorry to offend you. I was just making a correlation. I literally do live in the what has been the most obese city in the country ( http://city-countyobserver.com/2011/04/28/evansville-ranked-1-in-america-for-obesity/ ), and we have very little pork and chicken here in comparison to beef, sausage and lots of "german heritage" meats. It's around, just usually a little more expensive and sparse. Like I said, just making a correlation.

No problem. I just get a little tired of the dietary fat phobia and all of the "lean meat" recommendations. I understand that it's still pretty much the common wisdom despite there being very little compelling evidence that it even partially causes any of the evils that folks like Ancel Keys originally pinned on it.

Hopefully this won't be the case a decade or so from now and we can finally move past this dark dark chapter in human nutrition and focus on things that actually are harmful. I may be too optimistic.

zychi

Banned
No, problem. I just get a little tired of the dietary fat phobia and all of the "lean meat" recommendations. I understand that it's still pretty much the common wisdom despite there being very little compelling evidence that it even partially causes any of the evils that folks like Ancel Keys originally pinned on it.

Hopefully this won't be the case a decade or so from now and we can finally move past this dark dark chapter in human nutrition and focus on things that actually are harmful. I may be too optimistic.
Time had a cover page dedicated to it.

abuC

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnn, my muscle endurance is roaring back, got 315 up on bench 14 times. On the outside I was cool, on the inside this is how I felt -

9wqti.gif

I'll record the next escapade. I started doing German Volume training again, and just wanted to see if it would be feasible to work in a set or two of 315 and banged out 14. It was only the 3rd set overall, did 335x6 after so the dropoff was sharp and I went back to 80% my 1rm for the remaining 6 sets. Still a good victory for me, I've had so few of them this year in the weight room.

So if I start adding more fatty meats to my diet, should I adjust any of my fitness activities, or do you think it won't make much of a difference?

Another facet of this is, I cook for my wife who does very little fitness. Will this impact her at all? That's one of the big reasons I've been doing pork and chicken.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So if I start adding more fatty meats to my diet, should I adjust any of my fitness activities, or do you think it won't make much of a difference?

Another facet of this is, I cook for my wife who does very little fitness. Will this impact her at all? That's one of the big reasons I've been doing pork and chicken.

No one can answer that for sure, but I believe there will be zero negative effect. If anything you'll probably feel better, but I can't guarantee that, either.

I also cook dinner almost every night for my wife and she does very little in terms of fitness, either.

iddqd

First time 3 plates on the DL, praise the Barbell Lord!
giphy.gif

Next up:
The squat!
(not really next up, not even close to 300 there, whew)

Higher in fat as a general rule equals higher in calories, so I'd be careful going too far down that route with someone who isn't exercising. Gram for gram fat has 5 calories more than protein does (9 vs 4), so it's easier to accidentally eat more calories than you may have originally intended.

(Discussions about satiety set aside at this point)

The issue is that for the longest time it's been stated that dietary fat is the root of all evil... and it's utter horseshit. Assuming you're careful not to go overboard in total calories, dietary fat is actually a very good thing, for multiple reasons.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Oh you’re a bodybuilder? Really? - Ironsport Blog

Recently one of my employees told me one of the members was complaining to him that “Steve should make the gym more bodybuilding friendly”. This is not the first time I have heard this over the twenty years I have been in business. And it’s always comes from the mouths of the uninitiated, I really can’t blame them for what they say because it’s really nothing but ignorance talking...

The truth is that I have way more bodybuilding equipment here than Gold’s Gym did in the 1970s where ARNOLD FUCKING TRAINED FOR HIS SEVEN MR OLYMPIA TITLES! Shit man, guys in fucking prison can attain bodybuilder physiques with that ragged rusty ass shit equipment they have available to them. The real problem here is the fact that this guy simply doesn’t know how to train and is making lame excuses for his physical and knowledge pitfalls. This gym is full of dudes (and women) with much better physiques than him. The fact that this guy has joined the ONLY strength training gym in a one hundred mile radius and didn’t join one of the hundreds of much cheaper gyms that actually ARE more what he would consider a “bodybuilder” oriented confuses me.

When this guy can somehow figure out a way to look better than a bodybuilder from the 1940′s I’ll start buying some comfortable sit down machines for him.

BIGWORM

Alright FitGAF, I need to get back into this! After going through a separation, I stopped going to the gym for over a year, now, and I need to get back into the swing of things. I'm not quite able to afford to hit the gym quite yet, but I bought a Gold's Gym 40lb Dumbbell set. What are some good routines or circuits I can start off doing with just the dumbbell set in my home for the moment?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnn, my muscle endurance is roaring back, got 315 up on bench 14 times. On the outside I was cool, on the inside this is how I felt -

I'll record the next escapade. I started doing German Volume training again, and just wanted to see if it would be feasible to work in a set or two of 315 and banged out 14. It was only the 3rd set overall, did 335x6 after so the dropoff was sharp and I went back to 80% my 1rm for the remaining 6 sets. Still a good victory for me, I've had so few of them this year in the weight room.

Beast mode still intact, still tapping into that limitless power! Good to hear.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
jhzYZknNnBRet.jpg

Glamour shot Thursday!

Managed 190 @ 3 reps on bench press today. Stoked since one year ago I was benching 4 reps at 145.

~173 pounds right now.
Looking thick Boogie. I'm 179 at the moment. We're on two trains heading opposite directions!

Hey fitgaf! Thought it was about time I joined you. Was lurking in here for awhile and thought it was about time I joined in.

No problem. I just get a little tired of the dietary fat phobia and all of the "lean meat" recommendations. I understand that it's still pretty much the common wisdom despite there being very little compelling evidence that it even partially causes any of the evils that folks like Ancel Keys originally pinned on it.

Unfortunately they are still teaching this junk in school( working toward a degree in nutritional science). Most of my nutrition proffessors are anti-fat. :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna start tracking these. Front squat 1 rep max 315lbs.

http://youtu.be/KR_Mywk9OfA

Have you done them much in the past?

Been thinking about giving them a try.

Unfortunately they are still teaching this junk in school( working toward a degree in nutritional science). Most of my nutrition proffessors are anti-fat. :/

That must be frustrating as hell. The field really got off to a bad start. Hopefully people like you will be able to correct the course and put the 'science' back in 'nutritional science.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom