• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

So I'm also going to be trying to do Stronglifts. Seems like an interesting program though the thought of only doing it three times a week kinda sucks. I know it starts to get more difficult as the weight keeps piling up every week. I also have to start working on my form for Deadlifts. I seriously feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Also figure I have to get my eating into check. I don't really count anything except my protein intake and think I have to eat a bit more.

Question about Barbell Rows: I've seen a couple of videos and articles about the proper way to doing it and some seem to vary. For example, some videos have you aim for a 90 degree angle while making sure your lower back doesn't round while others have you at about a 45 degree angle. It's somewhat confusing. But yes, is there a correct way of doing them or do either work?

Try to keep your back as parallel to the floor as possible. Grip the bar and do the pulling motion like it is the exact opposite of a bench press. That means grip it in the same spot, and make it hit your chest in the same spot as you would if you were doing a bench press.

Teggy

Any good links on how to manage my nutrition? I'm about to start real weight lifting tomorrow and am still a bit clueless on how to split my meals and stuff like that. Also, what's the consensus on Mike Chang aka Sixpackshortcuts? Do people find him to be legit?

He promotes a "magic red drink". Kind of all you need to know about him.

Chocobro

So I'm also going to be trying to do Stronglifts. Seems like an interesting program though the thought of only doing it three times a week kinda sucks. I know it starts to get more difficult as the weight keeps piling up every week. I also have to start working on my form for Deadlifts. I seriously feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Also figure I have to get my eating into check. I don't really count anything except my protein intake and think I have to eat a bit more.

Question about Barbell Rows: I've seen a couple of videos and articles about the proper way to doing it and some seem to vary. For example, some videos have you aim for a 90 degree angle while making sure your lower back doesn't round while others have you at about a 45 degree angle. It's somewhat confusing. But yes, is there a correct way of doing them or do either work?

Brolic Gaoler would suggest the "So You Think You Can Deadlift" series (here's Part 1) and this deadlift setup video. I would point you to CanditoTrainingHQ and OmarIsuf how to deadlift YouTube videos. It is also helpful to read the deadlift section of the Starting Strength book.
The barbell row where your torso is perpendicular (90 degrees) to your legs is a pendlay row. They both work. I'm bias toward the pendlay row because you eliminate all momentum.

EDIT: Record yourself doing deadlifts, upload them to YouTube, and post a link here so we know what you're doing wrong. When you record, make sure it's at a good viewing angle!

stn

No idea what to say about Mike Chang.

About the nutrition, it depends on your goals, current weight, height, age, etc. We gotta know more about you before we can really suggest much about your nutrition.
I'm 28. 6 feet, 180lbs. My main goal is to have something consistent that increases my raw strength. I want strength over definition. I don't to look like a model, I just want a decent looking body that packs strength. Just something I can work towards consistently.

I understand I need to eat a mix of veggies, fruits, rice, chicken, fish, eggs, and nuts. Is this right so far?

Arthos

Try to keep your back as parallel to the floor as possible. Grip the bar and do the pulling motion like it is the exact opposite of a bench press. That means grip it in the same spot, and make it hit your chest in the same spot as you would if you were doing a bench press.

Brolic Gaoler would suggest the "So You Think You Can Deadlift" series (here's Part 1) and this deadlift setup video. I would point you to CanditoTrainingHQ and OmarIsuf how to deadlift YouTube videos. It is also helpful to read the deadlift section of the Starting Strength book.
The barbell row where your torso is perpendicular (90 degrees) to your legs is a pendlay row. They both work. I'm bias toward the pendlay row because you eliminate all momentum.

EDIT: Record yourself doing deadlifts, upload them to YouTube, and post a link here so we know what you're doing wrong. When you record, make sure it's at a good viewing angle!

Thanks for the tips! I feel like I'll have to work myself up to the pendlay row then. I didn't really feel anything after doing it which might have been because of poor form. I'm still not the plate level since I just started SL so that also made the dropping and such a bit of a pain and would throw me off.

I'll definitely look into the Deadlift videos before Friday and I'll try to record myself. Thank you!

I'm 28. 6 feet, 180lbs. My main goal is to have something consistent that increases my raw strength. I want strength over definition. I don't to look like a model, I just want a decent looking body that packs strength. Just something I can work towards consistently.

I understand I need to eat a mix of veggies, fruits, rice, chicken, fish, eggs, and nuts. Is this right so far?

Yes, everything you've listed looks good. You can safely add milk and cheese to that list if you enjoy those foods. Protein powder is useful in a pinch but I think most of us would agree to try to get your protein from whole foods and only eat protein powder as a supplement if you're having trouble hitting your target protein. There is a guy on YouTube (the ProteinChef) that has quite a few good recipes if you need some inspiration.

If you aren't sure where to start in terms of a lifting routine, I think Starting Strength or Strong Lifts would be good programs for you to read up on and cobsider following for building strength while improving your physique. They won't turn you into a ripped model, but you'll gain strength and visible muscles to go along with it as long as you stick to the program, eat well, and rest/sleep enough.

Bowser

Back swelfie cuz ynot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NC3i4lg.jpg

Yes, everything you've listed looks good. You can safely add milk and cheese to that list if you enjoy those foods. Protein powder is useful in a pinch but I think most of us would agree to try to get your protein from whole foods and only eat protein powder as a supplement if you're having trouble hitting your target protein. There is a guy on YouTube (the ProteinChef) that has quite a few good recipes if you need some inspiration.

If you aren't sure where to start in terms of a lifting routine, I think Starting Strength or Strong Lifts would be good programs for you to read up on and cobsider following for building strength while improving your physique. They won't turn you into a ripped model, but you'll gain strength and visible muscles to go along with it as long as you stick to the program, eat well, and rest/sleep enough.

good looking out on that ProteinChef channel.

Smokey

Got back into lifting this week. Trying to nail a routine but the bigger problem is my eating. I eat TERRIBLE and it's usually the main reason why I stop working out. Does anybody have a suggestion on what to start out with for breakfeast/lunch/dinner and anything in between? Need protein mayne

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got back into lifting this week. Trying to nail a routine but the bigger problem is my eating. I eat TERRIBLE and it's usually the main reason why I stop working out. Does anybody have a suggestion on what to start out with for breakfeast/lunch/dinner and anything in between? Need protein mayne

Unlimited coffee and water.

Eggs, meat, fish, vegetables anytime.

Potatoes and rice only after lifting.

despire

. Blanket statements like "LOL $200 a month" are silly without considering the gym and the people that run it.

AFAIK it's so expensive because the whole thing is just basically a pyramid scheme. The CF HQ charges the gyms so much just to use the name that they a) have to charge 200$ a month, b) go out of business c) both.

I bet Veezy would have a thing or two to say here :p

The BBB high rep main lifts have me going real light. For example on OHP the calculator wants me to do 5x10 with just the bar. Is it bad that I said fuck that and just do 75 lbs?

Go_Ly_Dow

^^

RE: Barbell Rows as well

See so many variations at different angles.

bent-over-barbell-row.jpg

Barbell-Row.jpg

barbell-row.jpg

Which one?

Also palms outwards or inwards?

My main focus with them is to hit the upper back.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I went to a sort of family reunion type gathering the other day, and I saw family members who I haven't seen in years. Practically everyone commented on the fact that I looked way better than before, one even joking that I might be taking steroids. Considering that no one there has ever commented positively about my body, minus the occasional instance where I got a decent haircut, I was rather pleased with myself.

Feels damn good, yo.

Also, for a variety of reasons my weight has remained hovering around 150 - 155 lbs. for the past several months, but it seems my lifts are still going up.

How important is diet when it comes to progressing your lifts?

Pakoe

So I went to a sort of family reunion type gathering the other day, and I saw family members who I haven't seen in years. Practically everyone commented on the fact that I looked way better than before, one even joking that I might be taking steroids. Considering that no one there has ever commented positively about my body, minus the occasional instance where I got a decent haircut, I was rather pleased with myself.

Feels damn good, yo.

Also, for a variety of reasons my weight has remained hovering around 150 - 155 lbs. for the past several months, but it seems my lifts are still going up.

How important is diet when it comes to progressing your lifts?

Diet is always #1. You can lift as hard as you can, but if you ain't eating right it's not going anywhere.

That feeling you get when you finally get your cheat meal, but still hit your goal weight on your cut the next day. :) Should be hitting my next one by Sunday!

Smokey

Unlimited coffee and water.

Eggs, meat, fish, vegetables anytime.

Potatoes and rice only after lifting.

Serious about the coffee? Never heard that before.

Are there certain ways to cook eggs that are more helpful or no? Egg whites vs scrambled for example

I do hard boiled because its quicker but its pretty useless to take out the yolk. The cholesterol in the yolk is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things

Just to make perfectly clear, despite 40 years of bullshit nutritional advice, dietary cholesterol is not something to be concerned about.

ldcommando

Banned

Are there certain ways to cook eggs that are more helpful or no? Egg whites vs scrambled for example

I read somewhere that poaching an egg is the best method but I cant find the link to post here. I eat mine soft-boiled. Dat Yolk.

Edit: wait, I found something:
"Lets look at the facts here. The following data is from nutritiondata.com, click on the links to verify the protein quality numbers for yourself. Here are the protein quality ratings for raw eggs and eggs cooked in a variety of methods. The higher the number, the higher the quality.
Raw eggs: Protein Quality = 136
Fried eggs: Protein Quality = 136
Poached eggs: Protein Quality = 137
Scrambled eggs: Protein Quality = 132
Hardboiled eggs: Protein Quality = 132"

There you have it.

I read somewhere that poaching an egg is the best method but I cant find the link to post here. I eat mine soft-boiled. Dat Yolk.

Edit: wait, I found something:
"Lets look at the facts here. The following data is from nutritiondata.com, click on the links to verify the protein quality numbers for yourself. Here are the protein quality ratings for raw eggs and eggs cooked in a variety of methods. The higher the number, the higher the quality.
Raw eggs: Protein Quality = 136
Fried eggs: Protein Quality = 136
Poached eggs: Protein Quality = 137
Scrambled eggs: Protein Quality = 132
Hardboiled eggs: Protein Quality = 132"

There you have it.

I don't know what those numbers mean and don't have time to look it up, but I get the feeling those numbers are basically all the same thing since they're so close to one another.

Zero2kz

Halfway there from undoing the damages from July 4th and the few following days.

Taking longer than expected...I went a little too ham.

ldcommando

Banned
I don't know what those numbers mean and don't have time to look it up, but I get the feeling those numbers are basically all the same thing since they're so close to one another.

Amino acids profile. And yeah, it shouldnt matter. Just posted because the dude asked for da bess.

JaggedSac

Fitnessgaf, I need some help. I currently bought a relatively small house and my wife does not like my bench being out all the time. So, are there benches out there that fold up nicely and can be stored in closets while they are not in use? I do not need one that has multiple angles and leg stuff. Just a simple flat one would work. I have looked and cannot seem to find one.

Funny, I just randomly ran into some crossfit literature this morning too:
What's the matter with crossfit?
an except:
...consider CrossFit's business model. By design, the company has only two big sources of revenue: trainer certification and licensing fees, which are paid annually by trainers who've opened their own CrossFit gyms, or "boxes." What this means is that the growth of the company relies almost entirely on its ability to evangelize (new trainers) and propagate itself (more boxes). CrossFit is an idea surrounded by an ever-expanding circle of prophets, everyone on the lookout for apostles and apostates alike.

This business model is the source both of CrossFit's ferocious competitiveness—both intra and extramural—and of its noisy persecution complex. Either CrossFit truly has to be the best, or it has to go hard after the people who say it isn't.

An older (but still a good read) from ESPN's Outside the Lines on Crossfit injuries:
Is Crossfit Killing Us?
excerpt:
Robert Hayden, a Georgia chiropractor and spokesman for the American Chiropractic Association, says he has noticed a rise in CrossFit patients over the past two years. "Among my colleagues, we often share the anecdotal observation that CrossFit is good for our practices," says Hayden.
"If you have a preexisting condition—an old ACL tear, tendon damage, or a slipped disk—this kind of exercise will bring it to the surface," says Hayden.

JCX

Any good meal planners out there? I l know my diet is holding me back (why must bacon and potatoes taste so good?!)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
4-6 per week lol. I eat at least 20 eggs per week :/

Same. Probably five per day on average, honestly. Some weeks more, some weeks fewer.

Sorry, missed this on the last page.

Yeah, not serious about coffee. I should have just said "make water/black coffee/unsweetened tea" your primary beverage. Obviously, you don't want to overdo it with caffeine. Just listen to your body in that respect.

I love all types of eggs. Usually do a scramble with meats and sometimes cheese + spinach, but I cook all types. Never throw away the yolk. Never.

Zero2kz

No. They have no evidence at all for recommending fewer than 4-6 per week.

They are just saying that 4-6 a week for someone with already high cholesterol didn't have much of an impact.

For people with normal cholesterol, go crazy.

I usually eat 8-12 whole eggs and 4-6 cups of egg whites in a week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They are just saying that 4-6 a week for someone with already high cholesterol didn't have much of an impact.

For people with normal cholesterol, go crazy.

I usually eat 8-12 whole eggs and 4-6 cups of egg whites in a week.

The premise is flawed. High cholesterol is not an indicator of heart disease. Not even having high LDL cholesterol is necessarily associated with it. It's really only the small dense LDL particles that are considered to be harmful, and even then no causative relationship has been established.

sphinx

the piano man
Sometimes I eat 8 eggs a day, 4 for breakfast, 4 for dinner.

I remember when eating 3 scrambled eggs a day was like "wwoooah I am eating like a pig!".

I could easily eat 5 and 5 these days but I still have that mental barrier.

Sadetar

After all this egg discussion I think I need to do myself some fried ones to go with the chicken. :p

I am in the state of starvation after gym and I was stupid enough not to prepare anything. At this moment I am just thinking that more is more.

Hi fitnessGAF,

I've let myself get a bit out of shape in the last year, so I'm going to get back in to lane swimming. I'm moving to Toronto and the UofT's fitness centre will be only a few blocks away from my apartment so I'd be a fool not to use it.

Does anyone have a good swimming plan/suggestions? I haven't lane-swam since highschool so I've forgotten....a lot! I'm fine with swimming pretty much every day.

I am intent on swimming instead of other exercises though, because I find it a lot easier to do due to actually enjoying it.

I'd caution against "unlimited coffee" as caffeine toxicity is a very real thing.

Lethal caffeine doses are like 5g, one cup of coffee is maybe 100mg

So can you drink liquid egg whites raw, straight from the carton? I love my egg white muffins but sometimes there's just no time.

Bowser

Latest quest product is protein chips

21g Protein/5g Carbs?

yes plz, gonna go ham with those and guac/sour cream

BTW, for people looking to stock up on Quest bars in bulk (edit: looks like they only have the cookie lovers 24-pack left in stock online, people went ham and bought up all the rest):

edit2: nevermind, even that looks like it's out of stock even tho it shows up as in stock :/

GNC.com has Quest Protein Bar Combo Packs on Sale. Save an additional 30% sitewide when you apply promo code SAVECATION at checkout. Shipping is $3.99. Thanks Discombobulated

Those with a GNC Membership Card can save even more.

Prices after promo code SAVECATION
36-Count Quest Protein Bar (Variety Bundle) $55 (or $49 for members)
  • 1x 12-Count Choc Brownie Bars
  • 1x 12-Count Banana Nut Muffin Bars
  • 1x 12-Count Choc Chip Cookie Dough Bars
36-Count Quest Protein Bar (Chocolate Lovers) $55 (or $49 for members)
  • 1x 12-Count Chocolate Brownie
  • 1x 12-Count Double Chocolate Chunk
  • 1x 12-Count Choc Chip Cookie Dough
36-Count Quest Protein Bar (Fruit Bundle) $55 (or $49 for members)
  • 1x 12-Count Apple Pie
  • 1x 12-Count Strawberry Cheesecake
  • 1x 12-Count White Chocolate Raspberry
24-Count Quest Protein Bar (Cookie Lover Combo) $39 (or $35 for members)
  • 12-Count Cookies and Cream
  • 12-Count Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

siddhu33

I have started working on an internship over summer, where i'm working full time. There's a gym in the office, which I am starting to use regularly. The thing is, is that instead of the one and a half hours or more that i'd have free to do strength training, I do not have that much time! What's a good workout to do in half an hour to 40 mins that will still be useful...

Right now I'm doing (sample workout):
10 mins sprinting with breaks (a kind of HIIT, I suppose)
Barbell curls
Overhead press
Shoulder press
Lat pulldown
Tri pushdown

and that covers around 40 mins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom