• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Have you done them much in the past?

Been thinking about giving them a try.

That must be frustrating as hell. The field really got off to a bad start. Hopefully people like you will be able to correct the course and put the 'science' back in 'nutritional science.'

Nope

Leeness

Ugh ugh ugh, what is happening?? I feel fatter than I did a month ago.

Please please tell me I'm just losing my mind and I don't look like a cow??

http://i.imgur.com/0hc2CaE.jpg

What am I doing wrong?? Help. I can't go to Europe looking like this.

I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep.

Just live your life in a way that makes you happy while at the same not harming others to any severe degree. I say severe because people are quick to attack those who are unhealthy, obese, etc that are happy by saying that they are a blight on society for w/e reason (Health insurance, taxes, food costs, big business etc)/

At the end of the day I don't care about things like that because life is too fucking short to not be happy. Yes I realize it's a naive and overly idealist way of thinking, but no way am I changing that mindset.

If you want to love all the apple pies in the world. Go for it.
If you want a 800lb bench press. Do it.
If you want to learn every style of 80s dance routines. Have at it.
If you just want to look good naked, props to you.

Fucking let people do what they want and don't belittle someone else's happiness unless you have good reason to. (Harming others, etc)

What thread are you talking about?

Edit - Also, bought some new grip trainers. Have three of them in the set... and I can't even fully close the first difficulty level. FML. :(

What's the life path I have to traverse in order to get a body like this???????????????????????????????????

Link to video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=616662588442285&set=vb.555412777900600&type=2&theater

I reeeeeally don't think he got there flexing knees, doing pushups and throwing weighted balls around....

While he has probably taken steroids to achieve that physique, that is quite a poor way to sum up someone who from this video clearly knows how to train. He is focusing on building an extremely powerful core from all of those exercises (with some bodybuilding thrown in) and to be able to achieve a front lever at that size is impressive. He would most likely also do traditional barbell exercises as well.

Pakoe

4-6 per week lol. I eat at least 20 eggs per week :/

Lol, i'm at 35 per week. Still healthy and alive.

Good read.

What's the life path I have to traverse in order to get a body like this???????????????????????????????????

Link to video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=616662588442285&set=vb.555412777900600&type=2&theater

I reeeeeally don't think he got there flexing knees, doing pushups and throwing weighted balls around....

He's been taking some extra proteins and vitamins.

Got myself some new stuff, heard good things about the taste:

iYv6xiNmAvTPv.jpg

Matugi

Honestly, I just don't want to get hurt. Like, everyone should stay healthy. Like, you can over do it, you know? Idk, it's like, fuck, I don't even know. Just don't get hurt, you know? Just keep it like fun and playful. Big old meat heads always take it so seriously. It's like, that's why you do steroids and your heart blows up and your balls get tiny, bro.

kek

Zero2kz

If you want to love all the apple pies in the world. Go for it.
If you want a 800lb bench press. Do it.
If you want to learn every style of 80s dance routines. Have at it.
If you just want to look good naked, props to you.

I'll take all 4.

Officially starting day 1 of Smolov today.

TylerD

Back on the train last night. Got my 3x5 135lb squat, 3x5 160 bench, 1x5 195 deadlift. Yay!

I am going to have to order some Quest bars... keep seeing them praised in this thread and then saw a wrapper on the ground walking to my apartment yesterday. I think it's a sign.

Link to video

Wow that guy is one of the most gorgeous guys I've seen. Damn. He just needs body hair.

Also tut tut. Lift and set goals to better yourself not to get another's body. You know this!

But anyway, keeping a tight diet and you can cut down to that BF with some time. Getting that big is another story. However you really don't need to be that big to pull off a similar look, just need to be cut.

If you want that exact physique though....

Matugi

Deadlift continues to struggle. I'm gonna cut it out and move to 3 days per week until I'm done my cut. Will deload and reset once o starting Bill Star's 5x5

Or switch to RDLs light and rack pulls. Something to keep training my lower back but not heavy or intense enough to reinjure my disk

Leeness

1) I had no idea you were a girl!

2) You look great!

1) I feel like that's an insult to other women. :/

But seriously guys, what else can I do? Please help me.

1200 calories and 40-an hour of exercise 6 days a week obviously isn't working so what else can I do?

Please please, I only have 40 days, I can't go on my trip like this.

Zoe

1200 calories and 40-an hour of exercise 6 days a week obviously isn't working so what else can I do?

Eat more. You're exercising too much for the amount you're taking in.

Agree with the above, you have to be careful not to limit your calorie intake to much. That plus you've just got to keep at it, sometimes weight loss can fluctuate. You can feel like your going nowhere (or even backwards) and then all of a sudden make huge progress. If you keep working and eating well (i stress eating well and not just eating less) you'll make progress. You look good already though so don't put too much pressure on yourself. You should work out to feel good, you don't want to add more stress to your life.

Irobot82

1. I think it's because your avatar is two men holding each other.

I think you look stunning too, you should be proud! You're doing great.

Bowser

Too much calorie restriction combined with too much exercise actually has a negative effect - your body will fight back harder and hoard as much of what's left as it can. You should either up your caloric intake slightly (100-200 cals) or cut back a bit on the cardio.

Also, I can't remember, have you incorporated any strength/resistance training into your workout regimen?

Ugh ugh ugh, what is happening?? I feel fatter than I did a month ago.

Please please tell me I'm just losing my mind and I don't look like a cow??

http://i.imgur.com/0hc2CaE.jpg

What am I doing wrong?? Help. I can't go to Europe looking like this.

I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep.

Are you doing any core workouts? (yoga,pilates,etc.)
Personally, Leeness you look great, but I think you have this idealized image of what your body should look like and not what your body can do.
But since you're on a short time frame, do more core workouts and consider circuit workouts. Leave the weight training for 3x a week.

Back on the train last night. Got my 3x5 135lb squat, 3x5 160 bench, 1x5 195 deadlift. Yay!

I am going to have to order some Quest bars... keep seeing them praised in this thread and then saw a wrapper on the ground walking to my apartment yesterday. I think it's a sign.

Quest bars, especially the Cookie ones, are godly. You've made a good decision.

Plus, nice numbers.

Pete Rock

Leeness: Intermittent fasting window on a 3Kcal+ low-carb high-fat high-protein diet. Lift heavy (as a factor of your body weight) on compound lifts for a single hour 3x a week (ie M/W/F). BOOM. 40 solid days with no deviation will give you good results, but it's the beginning of a long process, body recomposition is highly incremental.

The dream is real, my perfect partner finally hit the market! I ordered three (NSFW) :3 Based JAXX, bless it

Zoe

Leeness: Intermittent fasting window on a 3Kcal+ low-carb high-fat high-protein diet. Lift heavy (as a factor of your body weight) on compound lifts for a single hour 3x a week (ie M/W/F). BOOM. 40 solid days with no deviation will give you good results, but it's the beginning of a long process, body recomposition is highly incremental.

The dream is real, my perfect partner finally hit the market! I ordered three (NSFW) :3 Based JAXX, bless it

3000 calories is way too high.

Leeness

Eat more. You're exercising too much for the amount you're taking in.

Agree with the above, you have to be careful not to limit your calorie intake to much. That plus you've just got to keep at it, sometimes weight loss can fluctuate. You can feel like your going nowhere (or even backwards) and then all of a sudden make huge progress. If you keep working and eating well (i stress eating well and not just eating less) you'll make progress. You look good already though so don't put too much pressure on yourself. You should work out to feel good, you don't want to add more stress to your life.

Too much calorie restriction combined with too much exercise actually has a negative effect - your body will fight back harder and hoard as much of what's left as it can. You should either up your caloric intake slightly (100-200 cals) or cut back a bit on the cardio.

I feel like if I up food, it'll get worse. I really do. I'm terrified that more will be even worse. I'm sure with milk in tea anyway, that I'm getting a bit more/too much. The food I track is usually around 1100 and then there's milk in tea and if I eat more than I think, etc. Ugh. I can't take my food scale to work.

Also, I can't remember, have you incorporated any strength/resistance training into your workout regimen?

Yes, I do a circuit with weights on the weekend. It's 55 minutes and I use 5lbs weights.

Are you doing any core workouts? (yoga,pilates,etc.)
But since you're on a short time frame, do more core workouts and consider circuit workouts. Leave the weight training for 3x a week.

I do yoga.

My cardio is circuits. I need to add the cardio abs thing I have.

All the core stuff won't do anything if there's fat fat fat all over my stomach. :(

Van Owen

Banned
Yeah, it's important to be honest with yourself when talking about your workouts. I hear a lot of people say "I work out x number of hours a week" but if they're in the gym for a ton of hours doing stuff with not a lot of intensity they're not going to get the results they're looking for.

Matugi

You know what? Fuck it. If the disc still is herniated (and it definitely seems like it is, sciatica returned this morning after re-racking a weight after deadlifts and I felt a pop in my lower back) I want to ensure it heals fully. Sticking to light RDLs and stuff on lower back day and I think I'm gonna go ahead and get some PT. How much does it cost provided my insurance covers it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been yoga-ing my dick off lately and it's been lovely. I feel...dense. Still lifting on the schedule though, just more yoga..

Can confirm. Took me about 9 months to go from flabs to abs, consistency and the occasional break was all it took.

Read this article by Lyle McDonald. If you've already read it, read it again :)

You have to lift weights. You should see if you can find the dumbbells that alternate between 5-20 lbs.

You don't HAVE to do anything other than burn more calories than you take in. BUT, you will be much more likely to be satisfied with how you look if you incorporate a good lifting program.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Well, I change the weigh I press and have decided not to do it on bench press day. I'm basically doing Ripptoes press.

Feels weird not benching. Need to get used to it. Also modified my squat, it's much better now. Supersetting arms is feeling great too.

Come on gains!

Leeness, if you are crash dieting you need to up your calories once or twice per week to reload and reduce plateaus.But to me you look fine and are ready to go.

I've been yoga-ing my dick off lately and it's been lovely. I feel...dense. Still lifting on the schedule though, just more yoga..

Dat downward doggy pose.

You don't HAVE to do anything other than burn more calories than you take in. BUT, you will be much more likely to be satisfied with how you look if you incorporate a good lifting program.

You are correct. I didn't mean "have to" but with the short time frame she provided, it helps right?

Can't see much in this pic, but I'm feeling pretty good about the direction things are headed.

I may actually end up ahead of my 210 goal by September, which may be a good or bad thing. We'll have to see. I've been keeping fat loss as slow as I comfortably want it to, but damn it's hard to not dive. I can't wait to be ripped as fuck again.

Bowser

I only have 40 days before my trip. :(

Eating never does anything for me except make me fat. I really shouldn't be eating as much as I do already. It's disgusting. I hate food. :((((

If you guys think the cardio isn't doing anything, I'll switch one for my weight circuit. 3 cardio, 3 weights instead of 4/2.

This really is a terrible mentality to have. You're too stressed as it is and it's pretty likely that's affecting your goals.

First and foremost, I have myself written about how the odd combination of very low calories and excessive cardio can, in some people, cause problems. Some of it is metabolic which I’ll come back to. But most of it is simply due to one thing: water retention. It’s a little known fact that cortisol has cross-reactivity with the aldosterone receptor (aldosterone is the primary hormone for retaining water). But while cortisol only has about 1/100th the affinity for the receptor, there can be about 10,000 times as much. We know that cortisol causes water retention (Cushing’s patients who are often on high-dose cortisone have this problem).

1. Now, dieting raises cortisol.
2. Cardio raises cortisol.
3. Mental stress raises cortisol.

So combine your typical female dieter (who is already mentally stressing themselves out), add a massive caloric restriction, add tons of cardio. And cortisol goes through the roof. And this is worse in some personality types. You can always tell them on Internet forums, they type in all caps with lots of !!! (Subject line: NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT NOW!!!). You can sense the stress in their life in how they write. And what these people do other than mentally stressing themselves out is further physically stress themselves out. And when weight loss stops, they stress harder, cut calories harder, do more cardio. And make it worse.

I mean, hell, a woman can easily shift 10 pounds of water weight across her menstrual cycle. That’s not uncommon in this kind of stress condition. Now add to that the fact that a typical female dieter if she’s lucky, might be getting 1 pound of true fat loss per week. If her stress (due to mental, diet and physical factors) is causing her to retain 10 pounds of water it will appear that her diet is not working for 10 full weeks. During which time she will lose her absolute shit.

What always works in these types of dieters is chilling the fuck out (weed would help too). Raising calories, lowering cardio, a good lay. There’s no metabolic magic, cortisol finally drops when you get them stop being crazy for a couple of days and they experience the magical whoosh (or the LTDFLE, check my site for details). Boom, weight drops by 5+ pounds overnight.

All water. Well mostly. But clearly they didn’t have a 5 pound deficit in one day. They just finally dropped the water they’d been holding

More at the link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html

I only have 40 days before my trip. :(

Eating never does anything for me except make me fat. I really shouldn't be eating as much as I do already. It's disgusting. I hate food. :((((

If you guys think the cardio isn't doing anything, I'll switch one for my weight circuit. 3 cardio, 3 weights instead of 4/2.
Increase the weight, lower the cardio. Building more muscle is what will help burn fat even while resting, but you have to feed the machine to get the results. Don't look at food as the enemy; eat right, not less. You are your own worst enemy right now; keep it simple and don't stress it. You look great already.

Pete Rock

I feel like if I up food, it'll get worse. I really do. I'm terrified that more will be even worse.
Your body doesn't care how you feel outside of basic emotional balance which is reflected in stress-hormone levels.

Looking at it from a logical perspective, you have admitted what you have tried (grinding yourself out with cardio and low cal diet) is not working and is in fact distressing your body and emotional state. What else could you possibly be terrified of happening?

I'd have to agree, I'm on IF and can't eat anything like that without putting on weight.
3000 calories is way too high.
3.8-4Kcal a day of absolutely clean nutrition and I can't gain any appreciable weight (6' 182lb medium frame) My heart is not a neutron star, beats the same as all the others.

It's not even fall, way too early to see scattered snowflakes in the forecast.

Whichever gives you the most energy to get through it? I'm in the camp that thinks it doesn't matter.
Yea I ate some breakfast quinoa and posted it on Instagram and one of my friends commented that its better to eat eggs or some other protein. I figured it didn't really matter what I ate but i didn't want to be a douchenozzle to him. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom