• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

SPARTAN RACE: DC
MUDDY AS FUXK

AvSStIml.jpg
You always look like a beast. Good work cutie!

Cheers, and no... whilst I've made very good progress given where I came from I'm still not where I want to be. Quite self concious!
Awwww, I am sure you look smashing as you are, but I understand if you don't want to share a work in proggress. :D

GAH! Let me work on losing 20lbs first :p Maybe I'll work up the courage to post a before pic lol.
Oh, you need to do that! :D I don't know will I survive without seeing that epic chest of yours. So yeah, just be a good boy and please your audience. :p

ldcommando

Banned
Bros, I went on a tour on snap city yesterday. Doing the squats, had this big crack sound on my spine going up. Lots of pain. Decided to sleep off to see if would improve but no dice. I'm in the hospital now. Had a xray and surprisingly everything is still in place so it's just muscular. Taking some meds on a iv right now and the doctor prescribed some pain meds. Will lift again. I rate the experience 2/10, would not want to visit snap city again.

Go_Ly_Dow

Bros, I went on a tour on snap city yesterday. Doing the squats, had this big crack sound on my spine going up. Lots of pain. Decided to sleep off to see if would improve but no dice. I'm in the hospital now. Had a xray and surprisingly everything is still in place so it's just muscular. Taking some meds on a iv right now and the doctor prescribed some pain meds. Will lift again. I rate the experience 2/10, would not want to visit snap city again.

Damn son. Get well soon.

What kinda weight we talking bout here?

Go_Ly_Dow

Left that out on purpose because it's the sad part. 155. Yes, 155.

That's more than I can squat ATM bro due to constant injuries due to playing soccer over the last 4 months! Still a ton of weight if u think about it.

Do you think it was bad form, misfortune or a previous problem?

ldcommando

Banned
Thank you all for the kind words. Blaming misfortune for now. I've read ebooks about the exercise. I've watched countless hours of video of the exercise. I'm always reading what you guys say about the exercise. I've squatted before. With more weight. So I think I have the form down. But who knows. I'm just glad I didn't fuck myself up royally.

Faiz

Ate way too much carnitas and guacamole last night. Went to bed feeling fat as fuck. Woke up feeling leaner than I have in a week. Most likely just an illusion due to the post-dinner bloat but I feel a hell of a lot less guilty about it than I did yesterday so I'll take it haha.

TurtleTracks

Neo Member
I need help with my squats. I feel like I am stuck at 225 lbs forever. I am following starting strength and I can hit 3x5x225 and 3x5x235 on the squat at a depth I'm happy with. But as soon as I get to 245, my form either breaks down or I can hardly get out 2 solid reps, not to mention 3 sets. The thing is I started lifting in August and in a month or two I was at 225lbs. An entire year later and I'm still at the same weight. I did increase my depth (below parallel) a few times along the way, but I feel like I should have made some kind of progress by now.

It's the only lift I feel like I am not making progress on. Am I not squatting enough times a week? Maybe too many? It might help to know that I have horrible flexibility, especially around the hips and hip flexors. I try to do a lot of stretching before my workout because of it, but I've also been starting to feel a lot of bone stress or pain around my hips when I stretch or squat now. Maybe my hips are just bad?

Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated.

Chocobro

I need help with my squats. I feel like I am stuck at 225 lbs forever. I am following starting strength and I can hit 3x5x225 and 3x5x235 on the squat at a depth I'm happy with. But as soon as I get to 245, my form either breaks down or I can hardly get out 2 solid reps, not to mention 3 sets. The thing is I started lifting in August and in a month or two I was at 225lbs. An entire year later and I'm still at the same weight. I did increase my depth (below parallel) a few times along the way, but I feel like I should have made some kind of progress by now.

It's the only lift I feel like I am not making progress on. Am I not squatting enough times a week? Maybe too many? It might help to know that I have horrible flexibility, especially around the hips and hip flexors. I try to do a lot of stretching before my workout because of it, but I've also been starting to feel a lot of bone stress or pain around my hips when I stretch or squat now. Maybe my hips are just bad?

It would help to post a form check video to see if it is done right.
I would assume the above, you're not eating enough, or it's time to move onto another program.

SeanR1221

If you've been stuck at that weight for pretty much a year then...

You have bad form (post a video)

You're not eating enough

You're not sleeping enough.

It's either one, or a combination of the 3.

Chocobro

@SeanR1221: I forgot about poor recovery. I think together we have a good list of possibilities that's holding his squat back.

-----------------------
I would like some help guys.
Context: I haven't been to the gym in the last 5 weeks trying to recover from tailbone discomfort / sometimes mild pain (2-3/10 rating).
Luckily it wasn't a cyst or anything, seems like it was tight muscles (lower back to mid-back muscles and possibly glutes) pulling on the tailbone region.
While at the same time I was letting my wrist recover as well, it didn't and still doesn't feel 100% back to normal; it's been like this for about 2-3 months.
Problem: I'm going back to the gym tomorrow since the tailbone discomfort is, for the most part, gone. What kind program can I do in the meantime that doesn't require my wrist? I was doing the second program in the OP. I believe I can still do deadlifts, but you guys can exclude it if it's going to hinder my wrist from recovering.

GabDX

Banned

Stretching temporarily reduces your strength. It should never be done before strength exercises. If you really want to stretch, do it after.

TurtleTracks

Neo Member
I will try to post a video by tomorrow night. I know my form was pretty bad early on (half squatting, looking at the ceiling) , so I can't complain too much if I'm still squatting the same weight. Diet and sleep are probably also factors here, I'm a pretty skinny guy and I just don't know how to eat more than I've been eating my whole life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely need a form check video to be sure you're doing it right, but maybe making the 10 lb. jump from 235 to 245 is what's hurting you. Try going to 240 first, or even 237.5 if you have fractional weight plates.

Pakoe

Ouch, stay safe. I was out for 2 month after i had a sharp pain in my lower back, which came from nowhere. Don't wish any of you those feels.

Man I'm weirding out today. Maybe it's the cheat I had yesterday, but I am bummed out about everything fitnesswise. Which makes NO sense because.... I've met all my goals every week and am on track to meet/exceed my goal for July. All my numbers are good, even made some PRs on a few lifts.

Yet I feel like I should be doing more. It's such a weird feeling.

CrankyJay

Banned
Cooter that pic is inspiring. Thanks.

Did some Saturday and Sunday cardio. Feels great to add more and more time as my stamina returns.

Leeness

My legs hurt :(

4 days in a row of "strength" yoga (with a lot of warrior pose and lunging and such) and my strength circuit (squats and lunges).

Jelly legs :( Must keep going tomorrow though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My legs hurt :(

4 days in a row of "strength" yoga (with a lot of warrior pose and lunging and such) and my strength circuit (squats and lunges).

Jelly legs :( Must keep going tomorrow though.

How do your joints feel though? When I do yoga I feel so much better, but super sore.

Go_Ly_Dow

Another strange paranoid question.

1-2 days after workout (particularly chest and triceps) do you guys find they shrink slightly/lose their shape and turn squishy?

i understand muscle is built by breaking them down and building them back up however my mate said he never experiences this

Haven't been to the gym in a week since I was vacationing in Colorado. Come back to this thread and see Cooters pic and hits me with that motivation to get my ass back in the gym lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

1-2 days after workout (particularly chest and triceps) do you guys find they shrink slightly/lose their shape and turn squishy?

i understand muscle is built by breaking them down and building them back up however my mate said he never experiences this

It's almost entirely in your head

Cooter that pic is inspiring. Thanks.

Did some Saturday and Sunday cardio. Feels great to add more and more time as my stamina returns.

Haven't been to the gym in a week since I was vacationing in Colorado. Come back to this thread and see Cooters pic and hits me with that motivation to get my ass back in the gym lol

Geez. Thanks guys

Too much positivity is going to make Cooter lose his motivation. So, to counter this, I want you to know, Cooter, that your forearms could be swoll-er. More swoll? Not sure the right word to use there.

SeanR1221

I basically sat on my ass for 6 weeks and my arms are pretty much the same size. Maybe 3/16 of an inch smaller?

So yeah probably paranoia

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cooter lookin lean and mean.

How'd that drug test go BTW?

Haven't taken it yet. Had to come clean to my boss and he is waiting a few weeks to submit the accident report. Good man.

My foreams are 14.5" Soka. Bad example! now my calves....Those are pretty pathetic! ;)

Haven't taken it yet. Had to come clean to my boss and he is waiting a few weeks to submit the accident report. Good man.

My foreams are 14.5" Soka. Bad example! now my calves....Those are pretty pathetic! ;)

That's why I picked your forearms, because I distinctly remember us all discussing your disproportionately ripped forearms, lol.

CrankyJay

Banned
If you have weights still on the bar, then yeah, that's kind of fucked. If there are no weights and you don't have any stuff nearby, then I can see why someone would think you're done, and as long as they give it up as soon as you come back, I don't really see a problem with this.

As for me, I ask when someone is between sets how many sets they have left/if I can work in. If someone walks away I will give it about 30 seconds to see where they're going and then take over I'd they aren't just getting a drink or something.

The best way to hold your stuff is just put a towel on the bar. I think that is universally accepted as "someone is using this equipment."

Some guy was using the rack for like 20+ min so I did other stuff in my routine first (hate doing that). Guy walks away from rack with the weights on to do some other work so I ask if he's done and he's like "no, but you can have it". I'm thinking fuck off guy.

When I was done with my squats I put the bar back the way he had it with the exact same plate configuration so he could continue his shit. He never went back. Fuck. Off.

Some guy was using the rack for like 20+ min so I did other stuff in my routine first (hate doing that). Guy walks away from rack with the weights on to do some other work so I ask if he's done and he's like "no, but you can have it". I'm thinking fuck off guy.

When I was done with my squats I put the bar back the way he had it with the exact same plate configuration so he could continue his shit. He never went back. Fuck. Off.

Yeah that's fucking annoying. Sometimes people just make shit more complicated and annoyinng than needed.

Haha. Gotcha. It's been a lazy Sunday and I'm a little slow.

It's cool. I just wrapped up at the gym and I'm now watching Weeds and snuggling a pug dog that I'm dog-sitting so I feel you on the lazy Sunday.

CrankyJay

Banned
Pro tip if you guys live near a wegmans. Their kabobs and other marinated meats are usually on special on Sundays to get rid of stuff about to expire, usually 30-50% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom