• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand cottage cheese with fruit o_O
Maybe the unsalted stuff is not as revolting.

I eat a whole tub almost everyday. With pecans on rest days, with potatoes after lifting. Good shit.

lol. Yeah it was a pretty surreal feeling. I think I may have just hit them a tad too hard.

On another note. When I was buying a tub of greek yogurt I got the urge to buy a small tub of cottage cheese. I have never tried it because it looks/smells like ass.

Quite frankly I don't think I will ever open it and try it.

Cottage Cheese is amazing. I love it so much.

2% always.

Zero2kz

I think they also sell Greek style Cottage Cheese. I think I tried it once, and it tasted like a weird blend between Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese. Tasted more like greek yogurt, but just chunky.

Faiz

We tend to use blended cottage cheese in recipes that call for mayonaise (usually in a 75% cottage cheese 25% mayo split). I'm not crazy about it either but using it as a creamy substitute for less desirable additives is actually really freaking great.

Edit: maybe some really awesome chicken salad like that last week. So good.

Levi

Banned
Question about Stronglifts 5x5... It wants me to go three times a week. I want to go 4-5. Would that be counterproductive? Main goal is increasing the amount of weight I can lift.

Question about Stronglifts 5x5... It wants me to go three times a week. I want to go 4-5. Would that be counterproductive? Main goal is increasing the amount of weight I can lift.

You can probably but it won't be Stronglifts anymore. It would be Levi's Stronglifts-like workout. Take that statement however you want it.

If you do decide to add in days I would back off on the squats, maybe do squats 2 days a week instead of every workout.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It could very well be. Depends on how fast your body can recover and repair. I think you should follow the program if you're going to follow a program.

Sadetar

I eat cottage cheese every day as a part of my chicken salad to add some cheap protein. Adding something sweet to it just sounds so wrong in numerous different levels though.

Also if I continue this food discussion, I have finally fully understood that there are Quest bars in the appartment and I have had really hard time trying to avoid eating them all. :p They are just soooo delicious. Is it absolutely horrid if I eat like five during a week?

:) Thank you. I'm 5'10.
Hahah, I think I should thank you for being the eye candy that you are. :p

Oh and also really sweet of you to answer to the height question. I was just trying to put your weight better in comparison to your height and it is really hard to say from a photo. :)

Damn. I am a groomsman in a wedding in 3 weeks. I bought a suit and got it tailored back when I was 195 lb. I am now 220 lb.

Unsure if I should go get it readjusted or just go extra ham at the gym and go low carb for 3 weeks. If I do that I will have to postpone Smolov since it will be pointless. I tried the suit on yesterday, the waist is fine but the thighs in the pants are laughably tight. All dem squats.
You might need to take couple photos so we could better give you our opinion about the situation... Right. ;)

despire

This is probably the most common questions from newbs.

"Program says to go 3x week but I want to go 7 days a week and plus do 1hr of HIIT before and after training. Would that be better?"

And the answer is almost always "no". Just do the program. You will get better results because the program is set the way it is because it works. If it would be better to go 4-5x week then there would be a proven starting program that has you going 4-5x a week. But there isn't.

After a while you will be thanking the heavens that it's only 3x a week :)

agrajag

Banned
Damnit, guys. I just did some weighted chin-ups. Nothing crazy, thought I'd ease into it with 15 lbs. Easy. Banged out three sets, six reps each. Could've done more reps. But even after the first set, I immediately got elbow tendonitis (on the inside of my elbow, like the little armpit of the forearm). I iced them down, and feel fine now. But it feels like I'm not meant to have big arms..

Pakoe

Posting from instagram:

i7IAwi3qn5lX2.png

The same bodyfat level as in the end of my cut, yet i've gained weight. This is bulk is gonna be goooood.

Yep exactly that. I do it all the time and never had a worry, sometimes it will cause the music to shut off or my headphones to get unplugged, but never damage.

I guess I went up just enough in weight that my phone couldn't handle it. lol

Two years ago i was given a free phone with my new subscription and only three days later i broke it in the same way, learnt my lesson that day.

Well, this weekend I impressed myself AND figured I've got lots farther to go. Did a few powerlifts (and all the properly strong folks are welcome to shame if they'd like), and came out better than I thought.

Weight: 177
Bench: 215 (spotter present, unassisted, no lift)
Squat: 275 x2 (not A2G, but more than 90%, lower back would have hated me too much to do the following)
Deadlift: 300

Figure that next month I *should* be able to hit 225 on my bench, would like to get as low as possible on 285 for squat, and who knows on deadlift. I did that with no gloves/straps, and reversed the grip on my right hand...it's possible I could do higher.

Lots farther to go, but I'd also like to cut a bit. I hate cardio, but I have a little extra weight on me that I'd like to get rid of. 5'10" for the record.

Those are some nice stats, no shame at all.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Oh and also really sweet of you to answer to the height question. I was just trying to put your weight better in comparison to your height and it is really hard to say from a photo. :)
Now I'm curious what height you put me on?

Bowser

lol. Yeah it was a pretty surreal feeling. I think I may have just hit them a tad too hard.

On another note. When I was buying a tub of greek yogurt I got the urge to buy a small tub of cottage cheese. I have never tried it because it looks/smells like ass.

Quite frankly I don't think I will ever open it and try it.

whatttt?

Cottage cheese with pineapple chunks and blueberries tastes fucking amazing. The one thing cottage cheese has going for it vis-a-vis Greek yogurt is the smaller carb content for those following low carb. I'm doing low carb right now so I can't throw in my usual pineapple/berries mix, so right now I mix it with a little stevia and some chocolate casein powder. Delicious in a different way.

Petrie

Banned
B&W Selfie Sunday! Here's me in the high 170's.

4b3703f3-0fbe-46e6-b8ec-68221fc847c4.jpg

Given your similar size, build, and height to me, I continue to look to you as both an inspiration and a goal Cooter. Keep up the good work so my aspirations can continue to grow along with you. Way to go man.

I eat cottage cheese every day as a part of my chicken salad to add some cheap protein. Adding something sweet to it just sounds so wrong in numerous different levels though.

Also if I continue this food discussion, I have finally fully understood that there are Quest bars in the appartment and I have had really hard time trying to avoid eating them all. :p They are just soooo delicious. Is it absolutely horrid if I eat like five during a week?

You might need to take couple photos so we could better give you our opinion about the situation... Right. ;)

I HAVE to have at least 1 each day

Chittagong

Gold Member
I thought I've seen it all, but nothing could have prepared me to what I saw today at the gym:

a guy doing Clean & Press in a smith machine.

Levi

Banned
You can probably but it won't be Stronglifts anymore. It would be Levi's Stronglifts-like workout. Take that statement however you want it.

It could very well be. Depends on how fast your body can recover and repair. I think you should follow the program if you're going to follow a program.

This is probably the most common questions from newbs.

After a while you will be thanking the heavens that it's only 3x a week :)

Thanks guys. I've been doing my own take on Stronglifts because I just wasn't strong enough to do OHP or rows with the Olympic bar. Today was my first real day on the program, but I got used to lifting weights 5x a week and I didn't want to give that up. I'll follow the program as designed.

Leeness

Cottage cheese! I have plain cottage cheese urryday right now (because I already have berries with ricotta cheese at night lol).

I think I will take a rest day today. Done four in a row so far. Or should I rest tomorrow? Hm... :/

Cooter

Given your similar size, build, and height to me, I continue to look to you as both an inspiration and a goal Cooter. Keep up the good work so my aspirations can continue to grow along with you. Way to go man.
Made my day Petrie. Thanks man.

Go_Ly_Dow

so do you guys get in some extra nutrition just before bed or do you have a cut-off point?

always figured getting in an extra dose of protein before bed is beneficial as the night is a long period without intake and a key time of recovery and growth. so always make sure to get something in (a shake/protein snack) especially on workout days.

sphinx

the piano man
after I got called out here and once at the gym because my grip was to wide on the OHP, I decided to start all over from zero about a month ago and got my grip to about shoulder width, (that's like a complete hand closer to the center, compared to my past grip!!!)

it feels soooo much better, like the bar is attached to my torso on start position.

thanks for pointing it out guys

Matugi

Here's a video of me squatting 225lbs for 5 and then 4 reps. Not terribly great angles, but I just asked some random dudes to record me.

side view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBvF_Ecw1zc&feature=youtu.be

back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SMXWSz6rEo&feature=youtu.be

What do you guys think? 225lbs is still hard for me to do, but I can do 3 sets x 5 reps most days. Same for 235. But when I get to 245, it all goes to hell.

Stop bouncing. There's no reason for it. It looks okay but you lack any sort of tightness (a lot of that is because you are bouncing) and you are currently divebombing your squats. Doing that at high weights is gonna cause you to get stuck in the hole and injure yourself.

I thought I've seen it all, but nothing could have prepared me to what I saw today at the gym:

a guy doing Clean & Press in a smith machine.

Last night I entered the gym to find an abandoned (mercifully empty) barbell resting across the handles of a dip station/leg raise station. I hope that whoever left it there wasn't attempting to use it as a squat stand.... I guess it can handle the weight up to a certain point but just about every variable related to stability of the bar seems like a concussion or property damage waiting to happen. Little to secure the bar against rolling, and less than a third of the width between contact points relative to a squat rack

This was located approximately 8 feet from a power cage. The cage was empty when I got there. Not just of people- there was also no bar in it. The bar on the dip station was the one normally in the cage.
The small weight room was empty or I would've asked somebody if they knew what was up.

TurtleTracks

Neo Member
Stop bouncing. There's no reason for it. It looks okay but you lack any sort of tightness (a lot of that is because you are bouncing) and you are currently divebombing your squats. Doing that at high weights is gonna cause you to get stuck in the hole and injure yourself.

Thanks. By bouncing are you referring to my movement when I'm at the top or bottom of the lift? I guess you mean the top cause the bar does kind of bob up and down there. I don't know why I do that, but I'll try to stop. And I didn't realize I was dropping so fast, the only times I go slow are when I know I've got no energy to pick myself back up. I will work on that too.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks. By bouncing are you referring to my movement when I'm at the top or bottom of the lift? I guess you mean the top cause the bar does kind of bob up and down there. I don't know why I do that, but I'll try to stop. And I didn't realize I was dropping so fast, the only times I go slow are when I know I've got no energy to pick myself back up. I will work on that too.

Speed is fine, actually you wanna be fast, but not at the expense of remaining tight. As for the bouncing at the top, it's not a big deal really, it happens to me too. It's because you're locking out fast at the top.

Watch. Mine does it too.

http://youtu.be/sXs9Otwd-4Q

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I want lean MASCLES! I think I kinda fudged my back when squatting. Each time I lift something slightly heavy (which is no problem for me) my back is completely fine. When I rest, my lower back is in a bit of pain and its frustrating, reason why I stopped lifting for a while. It still happens when I lift heavy stuff but the pain goes away after a night of sleep. Is it a pinched nerve? I'm gonna go to the docs to get it checked out but I really wanna continue working out! Probably fudged up my squats, does anybody else slightly move their back forward when squatting down?

Also, how the hell do I measure protein with a slab of chicken breast? My mind loses it when I try to figure it out... Maybe a google search might help.

Basically my diet for now is:

Monday - Friday:

Breakfast: Bowl of corn flakes (sometimes an ensure ever so rarely if I'm rushing to work)

Lunch: salad (just romaine lettuce) and some grill chicken breast.

Dinner: Whatever mom makes (usually has a bit of carbs in it)

Saturday - Sunday:

Breakfast: Bit more liberal, probably cheat one of these two days and go for a heavier meal with carbs.

Lunch: Probably skip it every now and then or eat some fruits.

Dinner: Whatever mom makes...

I used to weight 200 lbs being 5'11 and I know the struggle is real losing weight, used to be pretty fit until college came around and god damn is my face chubby as hell, I hate it! What should I change in my diet to promote fat loss? I'm thinking of taking fish oils, pretty much all I got for now...

Piecake

I gotta work on dragging the bar up my legs while deadlifting. I seem to have a tendency to push the bar away at the start, which means less power and a sore lower back. I also have to remember to tell myself to tighten up my muscles before I lift. That is probably a requirement when I get into heavier weight, but I need to get into these habits early.

Oh, if I am replacing power cleans with pendlay rows for Starting Strength, should I add anything else to make up for it? LIke chin ups or something? Or just go with the row?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I gotta work on dragging the bar up my legs while deadlifting. I seem to have a tendency to push the bar away at the start, which means less power and a sore lower back. I also have to remember to tell myself to tighten up my muscles before I lift. That is probably a requirement when I get into heavier weight, but I need to get into these habits early.

Oh, if I am replacing power cleans with pendlay rows for Starting Strength, should I add anything else to make up for it? LIke chin ups or something? Or just go with the row?

Actually, you don't. I went away from this a long time ago. The only time the bar "drags my shins" is right at the beginning of the lift. The only thing you need to do, is to be sure the bar doesn't swing away from you.

And you can't go wrong with doing chins.

Cooter

Jesus guys. I've never really bought into this "pump" thing but today I did a hi rep chest/bi day because of elbow soreness and I barley recognized my arms! Holy crap! I had veins I didn't know I had popping out and I swear they grew a half inch. Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom