• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

I see how I'm supposed to do it now but that position results in a lot of pain....

Bad idea. You shouldn't be treating this as a race or something. Starting light is the key with a beginner-oriented linear progression routine. You need to use these early workouts that may not seem like a workout to really focus on form. If you start at a point where the weight feels even kind of heavy, you're just going to stall that much quicker and probably end up with sloppy form or half/quarter-reps to boot.

I understand it's not a race but I don't want to have to do something in 1 year if I can do it in 6 months. Starting from 20KG and increasing by 2.5KG each bench (3 bench presses every 2 weeks with the ABA BAB) means that it will take me half a year to get to 60KG, which is way too much imo when I can do 5x5 60KG right now. Furthermore going to the gym, doing your routine and not feeling as if you've exerted yourself much doesn't sit right with me.

This really should not be happening.

Check out this section on the Stronglifts website regarding the Barbell Row technique:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

Looking online it seems to be pretty common, not sure if my breathing is the problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

I see how I'm supposed to do it now but that position results in a lot of pain....

Flexibility is probably the issue, then. Try with a wider grip at first and work to getting it more narrow as time goes on.

I understand it's not a race but I don't want to have to do something in 1 year if I can do it in 6 months. Starting from 20KG and increasing by 2.5KG each bench (3 bench presses every 2 weeks with the ABA BAB) means that it will take me half a year to get to 60KG, which is way too much imo when I can do 5x5 60KG right now.

Half a year? You start out with just the bar and increase 2.5 kg each time. You go to the gym three times a week. Let's say, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. That's 14 visits to the gym in the month of July, 13 in August. That's around 7 times to Bench Press each month. 14 x 2.5 = 35. An increase of 35 kg in two months if done without failure. Two more sessions and you're at 60 kg. You're looking at 10 weeks maximum to get there.

In the end, it's absolutely up to you, but there's a reason that novice programs always recommend that you start light or even with just the bar. It's a lot easier to get your form to a good place while the weight is lighter.

Chocobro

Lifting folks, how do you deal with calluses building up?
So far I haven't really had calluses build up because I moisturize my hand a few times a day. I also use a pumice stone to get rid of them if I do get some.
ChelseaLifts uploaded a video a while ago about calluses treatment and prevention. Video link.

------------------------------------------------
A few more days before I can finally go back to the gym!

grumble

Flexibility is probably the issue, then. Try with a wider grip at first and work to getting it more narrow as time goes on.

Half a year? You start out with just the bar and increase 2.5 kg each time. You go to the gym three times a week. Let's say, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. That's 14 visits to the gym in the month of July, 13 in August. That's around 7 times to Bench Press each month. 14 x 2.5 = 35. An increase of 35 kg in two months if done without failure. Two more sessions and you're at 60 kg. You're looking at 10 weeks maximum to get there.

In the end, it's absolutely up to you, but there's a reason that novice programs always recommend that you start light or even with just the bar. It's a lot easier to get your form to a good place while the weight is lighter.

You don't need to start at the bar. That wastes your time. Just start low.

Lifting folks, how do you deal with calluses building up?

Tweezers and a nail file are your friend.

Soak in water, peel with tweezers, dry, then when dry you file down.

I started doin this when you approach 2 plates on your lifts. Chalk helps but the y still appear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to start at the bar. That wastes your time. Just start low.

Fair enough, but a mere two months for something you're ideally going to be continuing into old age is not very much. It just seems like a mistake that so many people make. They have a sense of urgency that they need to progress quickly. That's now this stuff works, though.

Sadetar

Wow that guy is one of the most gorgeous guys I've seen. Damn. He just needs body hair.
How did I miss this one earlier... Finally someone that actually agrees with me about this matter! Body hair adds character and looks extremely hot.
enhanced-13182-1406063003-5.jpg

Piecake

Fair enough, but a mere two months for something you're ideally going to be continuing into old age is not very much. It just seems like a mistake that so many people make. They have a sense of urgency that they need to progress quickly. That's now this stuff works, though.

Hrmm, I well I obviously did not read about this. I saw the lifts and how to do them and went at it. I didnt kill myself at first and tried to work on technique, but I will be starting my third week and I am already pushing my maxes.

I am thinking that I did not get enough repetitions on just technique, and it now seems that I should start low so that I can progress easily, and if I stall, I should deload and start over since that will be better for strength gains. Is that right? Should I deload and sort of start over? (bar is a bit too much though).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Well, went for a long walk for the first time in several years. It was only about a three mile walk round-trip, but felt kinda like crap when I got back. I was taking it at a brisk pace, and even tried to just break into a sprint several times on the way back, but each time I tried that, it left me almost completely out of breath. The basketball shoes I bought on clearance a few years back that I only wore for the first time today also seemed to constrict my ankles more than I'd have liked. When I got home I was dripping in sweat, though that might have been the heat and humidity's fault. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Bowser

Dam i only rest for 1 minute. Isn't 2-3 too much for cutting people?

Wha? I'm not trying to elevate my heart rate here; I'm trying to make sure I actually get through my work set. It varies for me depending on the exercise. Squats generally take more out of me (I usually take 3 full minutes), where as I generally only need 2ish minutes between sets of bench and barbell rows. Although I'm sure these rest periods will increase as I increase weight.

I'm nowhere near what most of the guys here are doing for their work sets (e.g. squats I'm up to 155lbs, bench 150lbs, deadlift 190lbs) so I can definitely see increasing my rest periods, even while cutting, especially as my squat and deadlift go up.

J. Bravo

With weights the size you're doing, I would probably classify your circuit as cardio rather than weight lifting.

I mean I was doing Body Pump with 25kg on the bar for the heaviest sets, and I still considered it cardio.

body pump has to be one of the hardest classes i've ever done haha.

Zoe

body pump has to be one of the hardest classes i've ever done haha.

I think I got that wrong--must have been 12kg :lol

I haven't been able to do Pump in a long time due to my schedule. I do miss it--always felt stronger when it was in my routine.

grumble

I just saw a guy get kicked out of my gym for dead lifting 500 pounds. Apparently the noise it made when it dropped was against club policy. God forbid people achieve greatness; punish reaching for a high goal, reward mediocrity. Other members should be happy for the guy.

Leeness

I haven't been able to do Pump in a long time due to my schedule. I do miss it--always felt stronger when it was in my routine.

Is the Jillian I posted at least kind of similar?

Obviously not using weights as heavy as you, but I can barely make it with the 5s :(

J. Bravo

ah ok. i was gonna say i struggled with 25kg i think lmao. my conditioning leaves a lot to be desired.

Obviously not using weights as heavy as you, but I can barely make it with the 5s :(

i think it's les mills bodypump.

Crushed 235 lbs deadlifts easy thanks to hook grip. Nothing stops this train!

Squats tho...

The change in grip helped me have a bit more upright back and less rounding, I guess because my fingers didn't have to wrap around the bar as much. So this time my lower back didn't feel sore and my butt was doing most of the work. I need to read if this is right because one thing I remember is that deadlifts, as opposed to romanian deadlifts, should work the quads as much as the back legs, but my quads literally feel like they do zero work in both deadlifts and squats.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Squats tho...

The change in grip helped me have a bit more upright back and less rounding, I guess because my fingers didn't have to wrap around the bar as much. So this time my lower back didn't feel sore and my butt was doing most of the work. I need to read if this is right because one thing I remember is that deadlifts, as opposed to romanian deadlifts, should work the quads as much as the back legs, but my quads literally feel like they do zero work in both deadlifts and squats.

If it's low-bar, you should definitely feel it in your hamstrings more than your quads, so that sounds about right (not to say that it doesn't work the quads, too).

braves01

Banned
I'm watching crossfit games on espn 2 right now...I'm not the most fit guy out there or most knowledgeable, but their pull up form seems atrocious. So much swinging around going on. I thought you weren't supposed to use your legs to "kick" yourself up.

I'm watching crossfit games on espn 2 right now...I'm not the most fit guy out there or most knowledgeable, but their pull up form seems atrocious. So much swinging around going on. I thought you weren't supposed to use your legs to "kick" yourself up.

The people who go to the crossfit games know what they are doing. I'm sure their form for the incorrect form of pullups is perfect form.

Matugi

Squats tho...

Deadlifts work everything, but your quads aren't the prime movers. It's definitely your glutes and hams. Think about it: hamstrings are your hip exensors, they are basically what is required to roll your hips forward. When you anchor in the ground and press through your heels, you should be feeling most of the tension in your hams and glutes. You don't really flex your quads until the lockout.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Kipping pull ups. Not sure why, but kipping seems to be standard in Crossfit.

Faiz

Oh it's a cheat for sure, but it's a cheat allowed in competition rules so...? *shrug* it's certainly not something anybody should be doing as part of training though, and it's one of the parts of crossfit that draws a lot of criticism.

Zoe

No, you can find plenty of videos about it on YouTube.

It's barbell lifts with low weight and high reps (about 5 minutes worth set to a song, which means a shorter ROM than the real lifts). There are 10 tracks:

Warmup
Squats
Chest
Back
Triceps
Biceps
Lunges
Shoulders
Abs
Cool down

deadbeef

Any advice for a soon to be new dad? I already get up at 4AM to work out, so I think I should be able to continue that, but maybe only a few times per week for a while until we get into a schedule... How did you guys work in gym time with your first newborn?

If it's low-bar, you should definitely feel it in your hamstrings more than your quads, so that sounds about right (not to say that it doesn't work the quads, too).

Deadlifts work everything, but your quads aren't the prime movers. It's definitely your glutes and hams. Think about it: hamstrings are your hip exensors, they are basically what is required to roll your hips forward. When you anchor in the ground and press through your heels, you should be feeling most of the tension in your hams and glutes. You don't really flex your quads until the lockout.

Interesting. Maybe my quads will start feeling the effort when I get to heavier weights. One day I'm going to add front squats, but that wont be until next year, if I hit my target numbers for the main lifts.

Any advice for a soon to be new dad? I already get up at 4AM to work out, so I think I should be able to continue that, but maybe only a few times per week for a while until we get into a schedule... How did you guys work in gym time with your first newborn?

you answered your own question:

with your first newborn

I joke, i joke!

Leeness

No, you can find plenty of videos about it on YouTube.

It's barbell lifts with low weight and high reps (about 5 minutes worth set to a song, which means a shorter ROM than the real lifts). There are 10 tracks:

Warmup
Squats
Chest
Back
Triceps
Biceps
Lunges
Shoulders
Abs
Cool down

I do all of those, just in different ways. No barbell though, I only have free weights.

Is mine decent at least? :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Quick question before I head off to the gym. When doing a deadlift, should I look straight ahead or up at the ceiling?

J. Bravo

Quick question before I head off to the gym. When doing a deadlift, should I look straight ahead or up at the ceiling?

um. keep your neck neutral. in line with your spine. looking up is bad. does that make sense? if not i'm sure someone can find a video.

ldcommando

Banned

Not trying to be negative but you're pretty much fucked. I know because I've been there... Twice. Those first months are brutal specially if it is your first kid. I had to help my wife a lot so I ended up quitting the gym at the time. It gets better down the road and with the second kid wasn't even so bad. You already have the right mentality working out so early so see if you can keep it up. You will get so fucking tired, tough.Congratulations, by the way. Best of luck.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Neck position is very important in a deadlift. By god, do not look at the ceiling.

Neutral like Qwark said is the way to go.

Also, never ever look to the sides when in the middle of a deadlift. No mirin' or checkin' your form. You can hurt yourself pretty badly doing that.

Not trying to be negative but you're pretty much fucked. I know because I've been there... Twice. Those first months are brutal specially if it is your first kid. I had to help my wife a lot so I ended up quitting the gym at the time. It gets better down the road and with the second kid wasn't even so bad. You already have the right mentality working out so early so see if you can keep it up. You will get so fucking tired, tough.Congratulations, by the way. Best of luck.

On the other hand, my son is almost eight months old and my gym schedule was only interrupted during the first week, which was rough as hell just because breastfeeding didn't go well at first and he was hungry all the time. Things smoothed out quickly and he has been awesome. Mostly sleeps through the night and isn't colicky at all. It seems like it really depends on the kid.

ldcommando

Banned
On the other hand, my son is almost eight months old and my gym schedule was only interrupted during the first week, which was rough as hell just because breastfeeding didn't go well at first and he was hungry all the time. Things smoothed out quickly and he has been awesome. Mostly sleeps through the night and isn't colicky at all. It seems like it really depends on the kid.

Yeah , it does. My second one were way better than the first and we actually knew what we were doing. It does get better with time.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
um. keep your neck neutral. in line with your spine. looking up is bad. does that make sense? if not i'm sure someone can find a video.

I've read some articles on fitness sites that said you're supposed to look up. *shrug*

Neck position is very important in a deadlift. By god, do not look at the ceiling.

Neutral like Qwark said is the way to go.

Also, never ever look to the sides when in the middle of a deadlift. No mirin' or checkin' your form. You can hurt yourself pretty badly doing that.

Oh dear, I wish you told me this before I left. D:

It should be okay though cause I only did that at a light weight.

Okay, good news and bad news.

Good news is I did all my reps for a new max of 175 lbs. The bad news is I think I compromised my form a bit. My upper back arched slightly (not too much, but still) when I began my lift.

So does that mean my lift doesn't count? D:

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I've read some articles on fitness sites that said you're supposed to look up. *shrug*

Oh dear, I wish you told me this before I left. D:

It should be okay though cause I only did that at a light weight.

Okay, good news and bad news.

Good news is I did all my reps for a new max of 175 lbs. The bad news is I think I compromised my form a bit. My upper back arched slightly (not too much, but still) when I began my lift.

So does that mean my lift doesn't count? D:
There's a difference between being cautious about upping the weight/deloading due to form compromises and having form so bad that the lift just doesn't count. Knees coming in during squats? Lift counts, just keep an eye on it and modify form/progression to try and fix it. Squats well above parallel? Doesn't count.

The upper back rounding during a deadlift is the former, whereas hitching the bar up on your shins without fully locking out would be the latter. Try to make sure that you're gripping and pulling the "slack" out of the bar as much as possible before you start the pull, as well pointing your chest forward/up.

Pakoe

Found this old pic of mine, i always had the feeling that my arms aren't growing that fast at all. Seems i was wrong.

iP5gVwaW22EjK.jpg

I have no idea how old the pic is, i'm guessing 3 years or so.

I pay exactly 19.99 euros for mine. it's called McFit, you know, as opposed to McDonalds... "haha" it isn't as shitty as it sounds lol
Most coaches and members aside it's great.

However, after months of losing weight I started to raise my calorie intake to 2000. It feels like cheating everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom