• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Well, just bought myself some chuck taylors since I started to feel rather foolish wearing my cross trainers after reading that is pretty much a guaranteed way to have shit form and increase injury. I think I am going to start SS over again since I put way too much weight the first time. This time Ill concentrate on technique and go up slowly every day.

And thanks to lifting I realized how tight my hips were. Holy crap, it is pretty bad. I tried to do a pigeon pose since that is supposed to be a good hip opener. Nope!

sphinx

the piano man
Some guy was using the rack for like 20+ min so I did other stuff in my routine first (hate doing that). Guy walks away from rack with the weights on to do some other work so I ask if he's done and he's like "no, but you can have it". I'm thinking fuck off guy.

When I was done with my squats I put the bar back the way he had it with the exact same plate configuration so he could continue his shit. He never went back. Fuck. Off.

when I go to the power rack and ask the guy using it if he's going to take long and he answers "oh I am almost done, one more set, but there are two guys in line already!", I always answer "yeah, sure ;)" and stay there warming up.

guy's done using the power rack, goes away and nobody claims it

every time is the same.

I'm new to weights and I have a few questions about the Beginner's Program. When doing sets, what do you do between them? Also, how long should a workout session be? Doing
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15
doesn't seem like it would take that long.

Dany

Banned
Has anyone tried this?

smart%20carb%20ice%20cream.jpg

I'm having a taste for some sweet sweet ice cream now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm new to weights and I have a few questions about the Beginner's Program. When doing sets, what do you do between them? Also, how long should a workout session be? Doing
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15
doesn't seem like it would take that long.

You rest in between sets. Rest as long as it takes to complete the set, but I think it's best to shoot for under five minutes between each set.

There's no set time for how long a workout should take, but I think it's typical for beginners to be in and out in about 40 minutes or so. Expect that time to grow up to an hour and a half or more as the weight gets heavier and you require more rest in between sets.

Take it easy at first and focus on form. I can't state this enough. Almost all beginners will make the mistake of starting with too much weight on the bar because they think they aren't getting a 'good enough' workout. You'll be lifting heavy weights in no time with how these beginner programs progress. Spend the first few weeks focusing on getting your form in a good place.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Squat 425lbs x 3. New 3 rep max. Also did this barefoot. Definitely going back to barefoot squatting.

http://youtu.be/sXs9Otwd-4Q

Awesome squats.

You were using Adipowers, right? Anything in particular that makes barefoot feel better?

I've been thinking about going back to using my vibrams recently. I'm still not convinced that having a solid flat sole is all that advantageous when squatting. I'm only lifting a little over 200 lbs. though, so maybe it matter at higher weights?

despire

I got my testosterone tested on friday and got the results today:

Total T: 26 nmol/l [10 - 38 nmol/l]

Free T: 313 pmol/l [200 - 580 pmol/l] (at least if I understood the name right this is the "free" T)

Low, normal, high? I'm turning 25 in two weeks. Haven't consulted the doctor yet. These are the raw lab results.

ldcommando

Banned
I got my testosterone tested on friday and got the results today:

Total T: 26 nmol/l [10 - 38 nmol/l]

Free T: 313 pmol/l [200 - 580 pmol/l] (at least if I understood the name right this is the "free" T)

Low, normal, high? I'm turning 25 in two weeks. Haven't consulted the doctor yet. These are the raw lab results.

I would say normal, but I ain´t no doc.

Arucardo

Decided to pop in here and say that 5x5 is great :D . Been ages since I've been this motivated to go to the gym and I'm actually looking forward to every day I can go. The phone app for stronglifts 5x5 is also awesome, no need to carry a notebook and pen around to keep track of weights and warmups.

SeanR1221

Oh god. This gym called Maxout is popping up all over in the area. Basically a cable is hooked to the barbell and the cable attaches to weight to make the motion easier. Who knows how much the bars even weigh. Then they brag how you get amazing results at 1 hr a week. Just look at this awesome 405 bench!

http://youtu.be/XIFT6-KIGw0

Here's one of their company videos

http://youtu.be/VM33Zko8fPI

One particular annoying woman on Facebook (I has defriended her after all she started doing was selling some herbalife knock off named Isagenix) posted a photo on her Facebook of her husband benching over 500lbs. Ass completely off the bench and it looked like a good 8 inches away from his chest at the bottom.

The whole thing is ego stroking.

Fuck me.

Got so excited to move up in weight on DB incline press that I forgot to take my phone out of my pocket.

The Gorilla Glass didn't break, but it put enough pressure on the touch screen to break that though, lol

THankfully it's just a cheap Nexus 5.

SeanR1221

Fuck me.

Got so excited to move up in weight on DB incline press that I forgot to take my phone out of my pocket.

The Gorilla Glass didn't break, but it put enough pressure on the touch screen to break that though, lol

Same thing happened to my buddy when he hit a 585 squat.

The screen just completely shattered.

ldcommando

Banned
Oh god. This gym called Maxout is popping up all over in the area. Basically a cable is hooked to the barbell and the cable attaches to weight to make the motion easier. Who knows how much the bars even weigh. Then they brag how you get amazing results at 1 hr a week. Just look at this awesome 405 bench!

One particular annoying woman on Facebook (I has defriended her after all she started doing was selling some herbalife knock off named Isagenix) posted a photo on her Facebook of her husband benching over 500lbs. Ass completely off the bench and it looked like a good 8 inches away from his chest at the bottom.

Dude, they use the "science of strenght"™
Its got to be awesome.

Brb, gonna release my 60 minutes a month workout plan real quick.

Zero2kz

Wait...so it is practically just a counter weight attached to the bar? Like the assisted chin-up machines?

Yo damn, I want one of those. I want to look like I can bench 700 lbs. Because we all know it doesn't matter how much you can lift, what matters is how much it looks like you can lift.

CrankyJay

Banned
Fuck me.

Oh, did you put the DBs on your thighs where your phone was? I sometimes forget too and it scares the crap out of me.

This is all fine and dandy til a cable snaps and someone sues the shit out of Maxout for their injuries and they're out of business.

Zero2kz

Damn. I am a groomsman in a wedding in 3 weeks. I bought a suit and got it tailored back when I was 195 lb. I am now 220 lb.

Unsure if I should go get it readjusted or just go extra ham at the gym and go low carb for 3 weeks. If I do that I will have to postpone Smolov since it will be pointless. I tried the suit on yesterday, the waist is fine but the thighs in the pants are laughably tight. All dem squats.

Oh, did you put the DBs on your thighs where your phone was? I sometimes forget too and it scares the crap out of me.
Yep exactly that. I do it all the time and never had a worry, sometimes it will cause the music to shut off or my headphones to get unplugged, but never damage.

I guess I went up just enough in weight that my phone couldn't handle it. lol

LOL at that bench

Bowser

Damn. I am a groomsman in a wedding in 3 weeks. I bought a suit and got it tailored back when I was 195 lb. I am now 220 lb.

Unsure if I should go get it readjusted or just go extra ham at the gym and go low carb for 3 weeks. If I do that I will have to postpone Smolov since it will be pointless. I tried the suit on yesterday, the waist is fine but the thighs in the pants are laughably tight. All dem squats.

Sounds like a situation for Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet / a PSMF lol

CrankyJay

Banned

Why the fuck is that cable connected the bar? Is it like an auto-spotter?

Well, this weekend I impressed myself AND figured I've got lots farther to go. Did a few powerlifts (and all the properly strong folks are welcome to shame if they'd like), and came out better than I thought.

Weight: 177
Bench: 215 (spotter present, unassisted, no lift)
Squat: 275 x2 (not A2G, but more than 90%, lower back would have hated me too much to do the following)
Deadlift: 300

Figure that next month I *should* be able to hit 225 on my bench, would like to get as low as possible on 285 for squat, and who knows on deadlift. I did that with no gloves/straps, and reversed the grip on my right hand...it's possible I could do higher.

Lots farther to go, but I'd also like to cut a bit. I hate cardio, but I have a little extra weight on me that I'd like to get rid of. 5'10" for the record.

What's FitGAF's opinion on lifting straps?

I tried some yesterday for my DLs, Bench, and Squat. See Below:

http://www.total-nutrition.net/product.asp?itemid=841&gclid=CIyWjIOM6L8CFShp7AodB2IA4w

It was a new experience having to switch to a normal grip for DLs(I dont think the mixed grip is possible with the straps) but man did the weight become slightly lighter to pick up.

With these plus chalk, I really feel like I'm cheating myself, but I also don't want to injure myself either. I'm torn as to whether or not I should keep these in my toolbox.

Zero2kz

What's FitGAF's opinion on lifting straps?

I tried some yesterday for my DLs, Bench, and Squat. See Below:

http://www.total-nutrition.net/product.asp?itemid=841&gclid=CIyWjIOM6L8CFShp7AodB2IA4w

It was a new experience having to switch to a normal grip for DLs(I dont think the mixed grip is possible with the straps) but man did the weight become slightly lighter to pick up.

With these plus chalk, I really feel like I'm cheating myself, but I also don't want to injure myself either. I'm torn as to whether or not I should keep these in my toolbox.

I have never tried them, but I have always been curious. I don't think these will benefit you that much until you start doing weight where your grip strength can't keep up right?

I have yet to reach a weight on my DL where failure is caused by grip strength, so I never really bothered looked into using straps.

Have you done other mud runs like Tough Mudder? I've always wondered how Spartan race compares.

For those who haven't done one, just keep in mind yoga pants + wet mud doesn't really hold up. Not many girls seem to know this, making for a great day out.

The only other mud run I've done was 'Rebel Race'. It was cool, but 'Spartan Race' was much better because it was more challenging.

A couple of my friends did this 'Spartan Race' and 'Tough Mudder' earlier this year and said this 'Spartan Race' was more challenging @ 4.5 miles vs. 'Tough Mudder' @ 10 miles due to the terrain.

I believe all of these mud runs are similar, but the location/terrain has the most influence on the level of challenge.

...I do them if there is a Groupon, Living Social, or some kind of discount deal on them..

Just had a muscle spasm in my right tricep. Never had this shit before. Obviously it must be from my chest/tris workout right? Is this bad? Should I be freaked out? lol Just happened like 2 minutes ago.

Was kind of cool seeing my tricep flex on its own though. Like I was hulking out.

But yeah never had this so I dunno what to think. It's fine now.

I would pay good money to see Brolic hit a 1,500 lbs bench on that stupid ass setup.

Just had a muscle spasm in my right tricep. Never had this shit before. Obviously it must be from my chest/tris workout right? Is this bad? Should I be freaked out? lol Just happened like 2 minutes ago.

Was kind of cool seeing my tricep flex on its own though. Like I was hulking out.

But yeah never had this so I dunno what to think. It's fine now.

I occasionally get these. Had one in my left pec yesterday. Looked like I was making my pec dance. I think it's totally safe unless you see it happening often, at which point I believe it can be an indicator of vitamin/mineral deficiency... Don't quote me on that though.

I have never tried them, but I have always been curious. I don't think these will benefit you that much until you start doing weight where your grip strength can't keep up right?

I have yet to reach a weight on my DL where failure is caused by grip strength, so I never really bothered looked into using straps.

Well I hit 315 and my grip has started to feel the strain climbing up to my forearms.

Normally I've used mixed grip with right hand doing the heavy lifting, but I figure if I want my DLs to go past 315+ I had to invest in some lifting straps.

The wrist strap talk reminds me, when should one invest in a good belt? Is there any loose rule that people follow based on amount lifted compared to body weight, or is it just "when it feels necessary"?

dat lack of rubberbanding/momentum in Brolic's squat below.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Awesome squats.

You were using Adipowers, right? Anything in particular that makes barefoot feel better?

I've been thinking about going back to using my vibrams recently. I'm still not convinced that having a solid flat sole is all that advantageous when squatting. I'm only lifting a little over 200 lbs. though, so maybe it matter at higher weights?

I noticed I was pitching forward badly. I don't know if it's because I'm flat footed or what, but going barefoot feels like the weight is better positioned for me, this is probably not the case for most people. Also, I don't have mobility issues hitting depth barefoot so weightlifting shoes aren't a necessity.

Also, here's a belt less paused squat at 405. And I did this after I did everything else yesterday.

http://youtu.be/jgw5XhDqnpc

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed I was pitching forward badly. I don't know if it's because I'm flat footed or what, but going barefoot feels like the weight is better positioned for me, this is probably not the case for most people. Also, I don't have mobility issues hitting depth barefoot so weightlifting shoes aren't a necessity.

Also, here's a belt less paused squat at 405. And I did this after I did everything else yesterday.

http://youtu.be/jgw5XhDqnpc

Yeah, I never had problems hitting depth in Vibrams and, if anything, I think wearing Chuck Taylors may be making my ankles somewhat less mobile. I think I'll go back to Vibrams for a bit and see how it goes.

I occasionally get these. Had one in my left pec yesterday. Looked like I was making my pec dance. I think it's totally safe unless you see it happening often, at which point I believe it can be an indicator of vitamin/mineral deficiency... Don't quote me on that though.
lol. Yeah it was a pretty surreal feeling. I think I may have just hit them a tad too hard.

On another note. When I was buying a tub of greek yogurt I got the urge to buy a small tub of cottage cheese. I have never tried it because it looks/smells like ass.

Quite frankly I don't think I will ever open it and try it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lol. Yeah it was a pretty surreal feeling. I think I may have just hit them a tad too hard.

On another note. When I was buying a tub of greek yogurt I got the urge to buy a small tub of cottage cheese. I have never tried it because it looks/smells like ass.

If you do, throw peaches or mandarin oranges in it.

Pete Rock

I eat a lot of cottage cheese (2 or 4% I don't care) and my favorite addition is Avocado, it all mashes together real creamy and fatty in your mouth yummm

Adding sweet fruit is a pretty standard southern style serving suggestion and also a good option.

That "tower" thing Sean posted is absolutely criminal. Anything to make a buck off rubes I suppose, ugh.

Piecake

I hate both tuna and cottage cheese separately, but they are surprisingly good together. Add a little pepper and some Siracha and you are good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom