• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

You can always skip them and fail at them at home. I have a pull up bar in one of my doorways that I do a few on every 45 mins or so. Makes a HUGE difference over time (even if you're just doing the lowering sort to start with).

Also, everyone starts somewhere. Even monsters like Brolic, bchamba and others that I should have mentioned for fear that they'll pull my arms off.

Hey FitGAF, been a lurker for a while here, checking out tips and admiring feats.

Anyway, just got done attempting a home session today (chest + biceps) and pain in my right forearm is killing my ability to do curls. I injured it a few months ago ego lifting, to which I've since dialed everything down, and been working back up slowly. Unfortunately, I can't go past 10kg curls on my right, as the pain gets intense to where I can't complete a 3rd set of say 11kg curls. It's been like this for a few weeks, and today it stopped me from completing my workout.

Frustrating. I'm needing to start up at a gym anyway, so I wanted to ask if you guys know of any bicep building machine technique that bypasses putting pressure on your forearm?

I'm debating whether to see a doctor too.

Necron

Starting at the gym this week again after 2 years of no work-out. I'm sure my muscles will ache for quite a while...

It's good to do some fitness again. I don't really need to lose weight but actually gain some weight/muscle again (my BMI is even on the lower end, to be honest). I plan on going to the gym 1-2 times a week. Will be reading some comments in this thread and subscribe for future tips.

mdsfx

I'm about a month into this training schedule and it seems to balance everything really well. On days with lifting and cardio, I lift first. Running after leg day might not be ideal, but it's easier for me than cycling. That constant burn is like nothing else!

9upmdQzl.png

I've been swimming at least a mile each time. Runs during the week are 7 miles each while the long run is 12+. Cycling about 20 miles each session, which is low, but that will increase. Squats are slowly going up. Killing power increasing.

Edit: psycho, you were right about the tricep fatigue and cycling. Not an issue.

Only a handful of you in here will be able to appreciate this, but I just got accepted into Leadville 100 (Mountin biking race in Colorado, USA). Imagine it like being able to compete at one of the most prestigious lifting meets on the planet... only you have to lift weights much heavier than you've ever lifted before.

Now the long and painful training begins (I'm going to crush it).

Leadville-Trail-100-MTB-Course-Profile.jpg

http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/mtb/leadvilletrail100mtb/

mdsfx

Holy shit at that elevation change at the halfway mark. Yikes. I would be conserving my energy for that monster as much as possible!

ACE 1991

Changed in my office before heading to the gym last night, new coworker was like "oh, I thought you might be a lifter" when he saw me heading out in my gym clothes! Had to share, wooo.

Holy shit at that elevation change at the halfway mark. Yikes. I would be conserving my energy for that monster as much as possible!
Aye, though you need to pass people wherever possible as it's a really thin course in places. Also, you only have 12 hours to get around it (and sub 10 hours if you want a fancy trophy!).

KillerBEA

Only a handful of you in here will be able to appreciate this, but I just got accepted into Leadville 100 (Mountin biking race in Colorado, USA). Imagine it like being able to compete at one of the most prestigious lifting meets on the planet... only you have to lift weights much heavier than you've ever lifted before.

Now the long and painful training begins (I'm going to crush it).

Leadville-Trail-100-MTB-Course-Profile.jpg

http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/mtb/leadvilletrail100mtb/

That sounds awesome, not something I would personally ever do, but awesome none the less.

Felt like I got some good squats in today, just need to check that I hit depth.

Definitely feels like I'm getting back there on those (to my pre-injury sort of numbers / form), just wish that my other lifts would come back!

ACE 1991

Any thoughts on adding a vanity day for lifts? My arms seems to respond well to volume, so I'm thinking about once a week just going into the gym for 30-40 minutes to just blast out curls and tricep exercises.

So I have bicep tendinitis and when the muscles get inflamed, certain motions, particularly overhead motions/enough force applied a certain way, cause the muscles to slip over the bone and basically move out of place, it's like a temporary dislocation (subluxation is what i think its called).

I've been doing shoulder exercises, using resistance bands and stretches to strengthen the muscles but I want to start doing weight training to get my body into good shape as I lose weight. I've been very active my whole life, even at my heaviest as I play basketball 3-4 times a week for the past decade or so and other sports before that when i went to school. As a result, I have a pretty good muscular base that simply needs to be built upon. My legs are tree trunks, but my upper body, particularly chest and shoulders need dedicated lifting. A lot of programs I see involve squats, or lifting weights above the head, thats basically a no go, I'm terrified of the dislocation happening mid lift and hurting myself bad (broke a toe after dropping a 20 pound weight doing shoulder extensions thanks to a dislocation).

Are there good beginner programs that would work for me? I don't plan on making lifting a hobby or anything, I admit that I'm doing it simply to get stronger to play better b-ball, protect my shoulder from future injury, and for looks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Goddamned motherfuckers curling in the squat rack! Motherfuckers! [/rage]

Did you bring your issue up to them or did you just come here to complain?

Want a easy solution? Make your own gym.

Any thoughts on adding a vanity day for lifts? My arms seems to respond well to volume, so I'm thinking about once a week just going into the gym for 30-40 minutes to just blast out curls and tricep exercises.

I have a BB day, but in all honest it's a prehab day.

El Daniel

Any of you who've watched Eddie Strongman? It's on netflix and it's great documentary about Eddie Hall. I love how they're all friends among the top strongmen. And Eddie, what a character. 10/10, would recommend. Motivating as hell too.

M52B28

Banned
I got my diet under control, so now it's time to see what I can do in the gym now.

I'm keeping my diet maintained and simple with one week meal adherence. My breakfast, lunch and dinner will be the same for a week, then I'll change it up for the next week.

vypek

Someone at work told me that he likes to do heavy farmers walk on his off days and says it helps build strength.

Is this true? I would think that if you do heavy walks on off days then your muscles will always be kind of fatigued because they don't get enough rest. Is it feasible to do farmers walks so much?

Also, a bit late but thanks everyone on the input about what I can do with greek yogurt. Looking forward to trying a variety of ideas when I pick some more up

M52B28

Banned
Also, a bit late but thanks everyone on the input about what I can do with greek yogurt. Looking forward to trying a variety of ideas when I pick some more up
There's so much you can do with Greek Yogurt. I put plain in my Pasta sauces and my oatmeal for an extra boost of protein.

The taste of Greek yogurt in pasta brings out the flavors quite a bit. I suggest you try it.

I watched it recently, it was pretty cool. Pretty insightful and interesting to see what he puts himself through
Just started watching it and was amused to see his missus driving a car worth about as much as their house... especially as it was literally just after he said about living in a mansion if he did a different sport. :)

Edit - LMAO, describing the Mountain as
having "mong" strength

Edit - Re Deadlift
... aww man. Had I known about the deadlift being ruled out in the other competition then I'd have been even more impressed by the 500kg, if such a thing is possible.

vypek

There's so much you can do with Greek Yogurt. I put plain in my Pasta sauces and my oatmeal for an extra boost of protein.

The taste of Greek yogurt in pasta brings out the flavors quite a bit. I suggest you try it.

Really? Wouldn't have guessed that at all. Its worth a shot. :)

glol... I've been working a lot on my glue activation / strength of late and I was just doing some of the exercises when I realised that I can basically twerk now.

Properly amused myself.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I've been sick all week and last week I got over another week-long sickness by Wednesday. Then I went to the gym Thursday and Friday and felt like I was getting back on track. I haven't been back to the gym since because I've been sick but should I really feel like I lose so much progress not working out for a week?

I feel like when I try to do the same weights I'm normally accustomed to when I head back after a week I have to lower them by at least 5/10lbs. What can I do to minimize loss if I am not working out for a week like now? Or am I overthinking and exaggerating?

In reality, you're probably not fully over being ill. Just because you feel better doesn't mean that your body isn't still fighting whatever it is. You wont lose anything in a week. In fact, I was reading a research study recently that stated that for regular trainees, strength can actually increase after 7-10 days of rest because their bodies have had a chance to fully heal and recover.

Though it wasn't all good news, progress after that tended to be slower for a while.

KillerBEA

Just started watching it and was amused to see his missus driving a car worth about as much as their house... especially as it was literally just after he said about living in a mansion if he did a different sport. :)

Edit - LMAO, describing the Mountain as
having "mong" strength

Edit - Re Deadlift
... aww man. Had I known about the deadlift being ruled out in the other competition then I'd have been even more impressed by the 500kg, if such a thing is possible.
He looked so heart broken when he found out that lift didn't count. :(

glol... I've been working a lot on my glue activation / strength of late and I was just doing some of the exercises when I realised that I can basically twerk now.

Properly amused myself.

haha

Been working on that a lot myself. Got the Bridge/Thrust for 225lbs for 3 reps the other day. Bret Contreras is the glute master so I have been looking at some of his work/posts around the internet. Here is an interesting image about glute activation he posted recently.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPcVmymlWBY/?taken-by=bretcontreras1

Finally closed on the house!! Feels so good.
Yaaaay! Thats awesome.

I was watching a vid of his where he was doing the one leg glute bridge. Never would have imagined it was anything like as effective as that. I've been doing a lot of monster / sumo walks, have definitely been working out some of my weaknesses with them.

I'm going to have to look up what a quadruped hip extension is though.

Edit - Nope, I don't have the gear for that. lol Though I guess I could try and do it with bands. Might be a bit awkward.

KillerBEA

I was watching a vid of his where he was doing the one leg glute bridge. Never would have imagined it was anything like as effective as that. I've been doing a lot of monster / sumo walks, have definitely been working out some of my weaknesses with them.

I'm going to have to look up what a quadruped hip extension is though.

Edit - Nope, I don't have the gear for that. lol Though I guess I could try and do it with bands. Might be a bit awkward.

I had seen some ladies at my gym do that one on the smith machine, but I can't imagine you (or anyone) owning one. Probably doable with bands (like you mentioned) or ankle weights.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
In reality, you're probably not fully over being ill. Just because you feel better doesn't mean that your body isn't still fighting whatever it is. You wont lose anything in a week. In fact, I was reading a research study recently that stated that for regular trainees, strength can actually increase after 7-10 days of rest because their bodies have had a chance to fully heal and recover.

Though it wasn't all good news, progress after that tended to be slower for a while.

Thanks!

Teggy

Biked a lot this summer and stopped going to the gym. Stopped biking in September and got fat again. Went back to the gym yesterday. In pain today. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Sorry, body, I let you down.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Alright, guys, need some advice.

About a month or so ago, I was carrying a box that had two gallons of milk in it with one hand. Apparently, that was a bad idea, because ever since, my elbow has been hurting. Really weird though since it's not like it was that heavy to begin with. I could lift at least twice as much with one hand!

Anyway, since then, it's hardly healed at all. Initially, I wasn't too concerned about it since I use the gym at my university and we just finished finals and it wouldn't open again until the Spring semester started. Figured it would heal by then, but sadly wasn't the case. So now I need some help on what to do. I should mention that the pain is not particularly excruciating or anything, but I definitely feel it when I move my elbow. I haven't tried, but I feel like I could probably lift around 60-70% of what I did normally.

Was thinking about taking ibuprofen, but does tht actually help in terms of healing or does it just mask the pain? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

KillerBEA

Someone at work told me that he likes to do heavy farmers walk on his off days and says it helps build strength.

Is this true? I would think that if you do heavy walks on off days then your muscles will always be kind of fatigued because they don't get enough rest. Is it feasible to do farmers walks so much?
If doesnt have to be farmers walks, but conditioning on 'off' days increases work capacity, promotes recovery and inevitably makes you better and stronger.

Just manage "volume" and intensity to avoid over doing it and eating into recovery. Try doing 3 laps over a set distance with moderate weight in a super set with Waiters walks. Try doing it one day a week to get started.

I didnt really do a conditioning workout like that, but i went in today even though it was an off day and did some light volume work on stuff i dont hit directly often enough. Kinda like a Junk workout, did some light 'isolation' work on adductors, abductors, forearms, lats, and abs. Not enough volume or intensity or volume to really interfere with recovery much but got some extra work done and I feel better for it.

Alright, guys, need some advice.

About a month or so ago, I was carrying a box that had two gallons of milk in it with one hand. Apparently, that was a bad idea, because ever since, my elbow has been hurting. Really weird though since it's not like it was that heavy to begin with. I could lift at least twice as much with one hand!

Anyway, since then, it's hardly healed at all. Initially, I wasn't too concerned about it since I use the gym at my university and we just finished finals and it wouldn't open again until the Spring semester started. Figured it would heal by then, but sadly wasn't the case. So now I need some help on what to do. I should mention that the pain is not particularly excruciating or anything, but I definitely feel it when I move my elbow. I haven't tried, but I feel like I could probably lift around 60-70% of what I did normally.

Was thinking about taking ibuprofen, but does tht actually help in terms of healing or does it just mask the pain? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
It just masks the pain.

Might have strained a muscle. Try some massaging/rolling out your forearms, biceps and triceps for a couple days to see if that helps alleviate.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well that answers that question. My test levels aren't even close to high. I'm at the lower end of normal for my age. 350 at age 36. Normal is 300-1050.

So don't let anyone tell you that you need test supplements to get strong.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It just masks the pain.

Might have strained a muscle. Try some massaging/rolling out your forearms, biceps and triceps for a couple days to see if that helps alleviate.
It is also an anti-inflammatory so it may also help in reducing inflammation at the site of injury.

Top Bottom