• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well that answers that question. My test levels aren't even close to high. I'm at the lower end of normal for my age. 350 at age 36. Normal is 300-1050.

So don't let anyone tell you that you need test supplements to get strong.

Testosterone levels can vary in a single day, up to ~25% +/- difference from the studies I've looked at. My levels were within normal ranges when I had my blood work done.

Also nice progress on the lifts! Seeing your DLs gives me the bug to do some pulling but I just can't risk it anymore. It used to be my favourite and best lift but now I just can't, it's somewhat depressing when I go to the gym and see people doing some pulls.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lower-normal T levels + sleep apnea = paul bunyan? Got it!

Lol.
Testosterone levels can vary in a single day, up to ~25% +/- difference from the studies I've looked at. My levels were within normal ranges when I had my blood work done.

Also nice progress on the lifts! Seeing your DLs gives me the bug to do some pulling but I just can't risk it anymore. It used to be my favourite and best lift but now I just can't, it's somewhat depressing when I go to the gym and see people doing some pulls.

The crazy thing is even with a 25% variance you could double my test and I'd still be normal. This also puts into perspective some of the guys I've been chasing in the fed. They aren't necessarily using. If they are training as at least as hard as I am and have higher levels (probably do) their lifts are more reasonably than not, legit.

And thanks bud. Hoping for a 700lb pull and a 1750lb total in the next few years. If I can total elite on the next 5 years I'll be happy as hell.

mdsfx

I'm doing alright man, thanks for asking. :) Finished college and started a job a few months ago so I've been on the busier side lately. I've been lurking a ton.
Congrats on that! Seems like I just went through that yesterday, but that was 11 years ago :0

MrToughPants

Lol.

The crazy thing is even with a 25% variance you could double my test and I'd still be normal. This also puts into perspective some of the guys I've been chasing in the fed. They aren't necessarily using. If they are training as at least as hard as I am and have higher levels (probably do) their lifts are more reasonably than not, legit.

And thanks bud. Hoping for a 700lb pull and a 1750lb total in the next few years. If I can total elite on the next 5 years I'll be happy as hell.

I'm of the opinion that almost everyone who competes or receives monetary gain from the fitness industry is using something, especially any outliers. The local gyms I go to here the drug use is quite noticeable and openly talked about.

I'm sure you'll get it in time as you're smart about your programming and seem to remain healthy.

BumRush

I'm doing alright man, thanks for asking. :) Finished college and started a job a few months ago so I've been on the busier side lately. I've been lurking a ton.

Glad to see you're doing well though! You're like a super-adult now.

Good for you man!! Glad to hear things are going well.

And yes...although I did own a home for 7 years. This new one is our "dream house" this time, so it's incredibly exciting!

I know it's nothing compared to you monsters, but for the first time since fucking myself up multiple times last year I'm back to 2 plates on my squat. I'm pretty damn happy about it to be honest (especially given I weigh about as much as a small child right now), though I think I'm going to hurt tomorrow as I wasn't really ready for it.

Funny part is that I wasn't sure I got it the first time, so I waited three minutes and did it again. I really hope I can stay injury free for a while, would be nice to start setting some PRs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm of the opinion that almost everyone who competes or receives monetary gain from the fitness industry is using something, especially any outliers. The local gyms I go to here the drug use is quite noticeable and openly talked about.

I'm sure you'll get it in time as you're smart about your programming and seem to remain healthy.

That's been my experience as well and I appreciate it bud. Hope you're right.

Hey fitnessgaf. I'm debating on getting some resistance bands for some home workouts on my off days from doing 5x5.

What are your thoughts on using resistance bands?

I really like them. Completely different sort of workout, though you'll have to experiment with a shitload of different exercises before you find ones that actually work for you / are effective.

Basically useless for legs though, aside from working on general assistance.

Edit - lol, I put on my jeans this morning (that I bought when on my last cut) and realised (because they don't come close to fitting) that even by my standards I'm stupid skinny at the moment. 29" waist... not been this thin since I ran out of money for food in university. :O

ILoveBish

All new 3/5/1 cycle started today, got 160x4 on OHP. Felt damn good. Been lifting 3 days in a row, I might try and keep lifting everyday.

Finally closed on the house!! Feels so good.

Heck yeah man, congrats. I love walking into my garage in my boxer briefs at 1am and having an awesome workout session. Home gym is where it is at.

KillerBEA

So close to getting the 55's for 3 sets of 10 on DB Bench. Got 2 sets to 10 and the third set I got 8. That 8th was such a grind I knew I would fail 9. Will get that next time I think Killed those same 55's for some Rows right after. Hitting strong strides with my upperbody stuff right now and it feels so good. Deadlifted again, felt good, did a set of 20 with 135 really controlling the weight the entire time and not bouncing it and keeping a good tempo. Forearms were burning more than anything else.

Not sure why, but I can't seem to get my form right on DB bench since my injuries. Always feels like I'm putting a ton of pressure on my shoulders, which isn't great.

I thought it was that, but basically none. Even if I do them with my elbows almost touching my sides I still seem to get pressure there.

But my shoulders are especially fucked, so all bets are off on anything making any sort of sense.

mdsfx

I thought it was that, but basically none. Even if I do them with my elbows almost touching my sides I still seem to get pressure there.

But my shoulders are especially fucked, so all bets are off on anything making any sort of sense.
Did you try doing them on an incline? That has helped me tremendously with shoulder issues.

mdsfx

Can't do incline at all, it's even worse. Decline is a little better, but I can still feel it.
Damn. I'm sure it depends on the injury. Makes sense though since incline puts more stress on shoulders right? For some reason it helped me recover. I think my issue was related to the rotator cuff.

If I am focusing on cutting should I stay on a heavy weight and remain with it? Or should I still be increasing the weights? I can only go so high if I am cutting due to low energy when cutting right?

If your body is capable of doing it safely (with good form), then I can't really see any reason why you wouldn't increase. Not everyone loses strength on a cut, and if you're relatively new to lifting, there's every chance your numbers keep going up.

If your body is capable of doing it safely (with good form), then I can't really see any reason why you wouldn't increase. Not everyone loses strength on a cut, and if you're relatively new to lifting, there's every chance your numbers keep going up.

yea true. what if I go heavier but do less reps than my previous weight? Is that a better idea than staying with the lesser weight but has more reps?

Question for fit gaf. I've joined my first gym. I've always been in decent shape but it seems like Yoga might not be doable for me in the long term which was where I was getting strong.

After signing up they had me sit with a personal trainer and he was selling me on the service hard. I get why they do it but it was annoying at how hard he was going. I apparently get one session free but I can't imagine how much he'll sell in that single session.

The last 3 years I worked out in my apartment buildings badly equipped gym. I did exercises that I could and would try to be as creative as I could with what little I had. The only thing I want from the session is to get some advice on workouts to do. Can I get that here or does anyone have a site to recommend? I'm not looking to get huge, just as strong as I can get in my current body (a little increase in size isn't bad).

mdsfx

Is deep fried food considered healthy if you make it at home, with fresh oil and such?

I don't think there would be a difference in terms of calories. Oil is fat, period. Not sure what would change other than the quality of the oil used.

Edit: If you really don't want to give it up, just balance the rest of your diet around it. My wife loves baking. Giving up cakes and cookies is not an option in my world. I probably eat 500+ calories of shit a day. The remaining 2,000 is super clean. I don't seem to look any worse or better for it. I know my priorities.

I don't think there would be a difference in terms of calories. Oil is fat, period. Not sure what would change other than the quality of the oil used.

Not calorie related, but I thought used oil generally has a lot of trans fat, and deep frying destroys the vitamins and minerals in a food.

Not calorie related, but I thought used oil generally has a lot of trans fat, and deep frying destroys the vitamins and minerals in a food.

no, trans fat comes from hydrogenated oils. It's a process food companies use to better preserve their foods.

You'll find it mainly in pre-fried packaged foods.

So for example if you bought chicken nuggets from the store, those would have likely been cooked with hydrogenated oils before being shipped to the grocery store.

Nothing you do to your food after you've bought it will add trans fats.

Getting my squat back up. I am pretty dedicated to getting to 405 by year's end. I hit 315 for 2 reps and 325 for 1 today. I think I had one more for each set but I didn't want to push it. I am squatting three days a week now. My personal best was 335 for 3 reps. I am nearly 6'4" so it can be a little tough to get the proper depth when descending. My legs feel really good, though. Much stronger. I only do stiffed legged deadlifts and squats now and my legs feel more worked than ever.

MrToughPants

Tarps

ttY4Ebn.jpg

FFSDR9c.jpg

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Guys,

I'm becoming disheartened. I cannot fucking get to doing 1 pull-up.

I'm in good shape, and I used to be able to do 7-10 pull-ups. I can't get a single one now.

I think the issue is I have put on a lot of leg muscle and gone from 150 to 175 and my upper body strength wasn't increased proprtionatily.

Should I lol the weight/muscle and drop back down to 150 or try to build my upper body strength and burn the little stomach fat I have?

It's just frustrating as no matter how much I work out I am not making any visible progress and even feel like it has gotten harder.

Gintamen

Losing 25 pounds won't help, if you lose that much muscle with it. How can you lose that much strength that you can't do even one now...? Train on the pull-down machine with lower weights until you can.

Big legs can't be the problem, got plenty of those myself.^^ Long before I got a big upper body.

ILoveBish

I'm actually really enjoying not taking days off from lifting. Dat cooter protocol. Timeless. Did 360x4 on deadlift today and felt terrific. I'm really feeling great about lifting consistently again. Just need to keep it up.

When you say "used to"... just how long ago?

...and at the end of the day, like any bodyweight lift, you have to work up to with alternate versions if you can't do it properly. You can't just go "well I used to do it, so if I try extra hard I can do it again!".

You need to build up those muscles over time, and once you do you'll know that you're doing a pull-up with 175lb instead. :)

No one gives a shit how many pull-ups I can do, which is fair, because I only weigh 130lbs.

Dat cooter protocol.

Cooter protocol was eating everything that he sees on the weekend wasn't it? I think there's another poster who lifts 7 days a week. European guy (sorry, I'm struggling to remember your name!).

velociraptor

Guys,

I'm in good shape, and I used to be able to do 7-10 pull-ups. I can't get a single one now.

I think the issue is I have put on a lot of leg muscle and gone from 150 to 175 and my upper body strength wasn't increased proprtionatily.

Should I lol the weight/muscle and drop back down to 150 or try to build my upper body strength and burn the little stomach fat I have?

It's just frustrating as no matter how much I work out I am not making any visible progress and even feel like it has gotten harder.
Try negatives for a couple of weeks and see if it helps?

KillerBEA

Guys,

Do pull up negatives, use a plyo box or something to get to the top of the position and slowly let yourself down really controlling the negative. Do this 3 times a week for a month. Your muscles will be stronger from controlling your weight and your nervous system will be used to handling your new weight.

If you want you can take it a step further and do negatives with added weight but definitely get used to doing body weight negatives first.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Guys,

25lbs is a lot to add to an exercise you haven't been working on. If you could deadlift 300 for 7-10 reps and then took several months off, you probably wouldn't be able to deadlift 350 when you returned to it.

mdsfx

I had another indoor triathlon today. I was way too eager to rock the swim. I started off too fast and was gasping 5 minutes in. First time I've ever let myself do that. After slowing down and a few deep breaths I was good.

Swam 560 yards in 10 minutes which is better than last time. Hit 9.8 miles for the 30-minute bike and 2.6 miles for the 20-minute run. That run is still tough after cycling!

Lesson learned: Take your damn time on the swim and save your energy for the bike and run when you can actually suck in as much air as you need.

Edit: 7th place. Damn these people are fast swimmers.

mdsfx

I've always found it quite impressive when I watch the pros doing that in the actual events.
It's fun to watch, but apparently takes a lot of practice. Many people opt for the shorty wetsuits since they are easier to take off. How they hop on their bikes with their shoes already clipped into their pedals is crazy.

Prologue

I've been going to the gym again for the last 3 weeks. It seems that I've trimmed down a bit, but the scale only went down for one lb, if that.

I guess all the muscle memory is coming back? Is that whats going on? I wanted to lose 15 lbs over the next 3-4 months (I've lost 30 before a while back), but not seeing the scale go down is a bit different compared to my first time losing weight. How long does the muscle memory work for anyway?

mf.luder

I've been going to the gym again for the last 3 weeks. It seems that I've trimmed down a bit, but the scale only went down for one lb, if that.

I guess all the muscle memory is coming back? Is that whats going on? I wanted to lose 15 lbs over the next 3-4 months (I've lost 30 before a while back), but not seeing the scale go down is a bit different compared to my first time losing weight. How long does the muscle memory work for anyway?

Weighing isn't the only method for measuring progress. Have you taken measurements?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
25lbs is a lot to add to an exercise you haven't been working on. If you could deadlift 300 for 7-10 reps and then took several months off, you probably wouldn't be able to deadlift 350 when you returned to it.

I took more like a year off upper body workouts. I kept with running ECT.. but had no motivation to improve myself.

Was a rough time. I guess I didn't realize how weak I have gotten and the added weight doesn't help.

I've been doing negatives, but I've been doing them assisted. I can't hold myself long enough by myself to make them effective.

My core has taken a hit to, but I think it is more to my added weight rather than my core weakening.

At least I can still do my mile in less than 6 minutes.

Top Bottom